Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I use mine on weekdays for note taking. I prefer to write my project notes because I remember the details better than when I type them. I have typed enough at this point I can do it mindlessly and forget I even said something. Handwritten notes stick with me a bit longer.

Reading here that Notability is much better than Apple Notes makes me want to try it out. Apple notes have been fine outside of the small beta issues so I have stuck with them.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Notability is excellent. Great handwriting recognition, easy organizing, lots of styles for layouts and text. It was the first program I bought for my iPad.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I also use my pencil as a touch pointing device when I'm leaning back and just too lazy to touch the screen with my finger(s). Makes a nifty back scratcher too.

Reason I think it's a valid question is that a lot of people don't know just how widely supported and useful the Pencil is and can be. Yeah, it does typical pencily things; but i think a lot of people are just unaware of how pencilly it can be.

My sister said 'but can it erase?'. Her (to this web board) simple and obviously answered questions were real questions.

Shrug. I would 't want a touch based computer without pen(cil) support now.

Tom

Last edited:

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I also don’t use the pencil every day but when I do use it in Goodnotes, PDF Expert, or Notes, it saves the day.

kipwheeler

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2016
Draw. Sketch. Doodle. Pretty much anything you can do with a regular pencil.

Mark up PDFs of student papers with handwritten notes and editing symbols.

Transcribe medieval manuscript images and annotate them for paleography.

Consolidate lecture notes. Write down my teaching journal at the end of class so I can keep records of what worked or what didn't.

Mark student participation points using TeacherKit during class discussion, so I can keep accurate track of who's participating.

Attach the iPad to a smart board, then as I lecture, write notes and make visuals on the iPad that I can project before the class.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I use it with photoshop (Astropad) when I’m away from my desk (and Wacom Cintiq)... I use the Wacom express remote with the Apple Pencil so I have easy access to the same shortcuts I have on the desktop but on the iPad... the workflow is very close to the Cintiq. Occasionally use it for notes but mainly for photography and illustration... procreate, affinity etc as well as photoshop.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
PDF Expert is a godsend for dealing with legal documents. A company will send me so ething to sign. I'll ask for the document in PDF format, sign it and re email the signed PDF back.

Tom

You can also do this on MacOS with preview. You sign a piece of paper, hold it up to the camera, and save your signature (or you can sign the track pad). Then you can paste it into any PDF.

Reactions: ericwn

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
You can also do this on MacOS with preview. You sign a piece of paper, hold it up to the camera, and save your signature (or you can sign the track pad). Then you can paste it into any PDF.

Ah, but I’m not on MacOS since I took medical retirement. I only used Macs at work so people wouldn’t mess with my stuff. All the PC’s were virus infected. Gave my MacBook Pro and iMac away. Threw my iPhone against the wall so work could never contact me.

Might pick up a new iMac later this year.

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.