Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
As the title says, what do you guys do when your only useable Mac has to be returned to Apple/Apple Authorised Reseller for repairs and battery replacement? Service time may take 2-3 weeks.

If you have a Windows computer, do you use it in the meantime? Or use your iPad, or iPhone? Buy a new Mac?

My 2016 MacBook Pro needs to have its battery replaced (the battery health is down to 73%), and the speaker & keyboard replaced. I'm in a country where the shop doesn't lend you a device in the meantime.

Also, my AppleCare expired two months ago, and my MacBook Pro's left speaker and battery notification to be service just popped up so conveniently after it expired...... I wanted to keep using it until necessary to replace the battery. But over a period of two months, it's health decreased from 82% to 73%.

Should I top up for another Extended AppleCare, and hope they it will cover the entire cost? Or forget about AppleCare and just put that money into repairing/replacing parts? Or just put that money into getting a new Mac (was looking at getting a Mac mini)?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
As the title says, what do you guys do when your only useable Mac has to be returned to Apple/Apple Authorised Reseller for repairs and battery replacement? Service time may take 2-3 weeks.

Short answer: if you can't get by without your computer, you need a backup system. What that system is depends on what you need to do. One reason why I rarely trade in or sell my old computers.

These days, a phone, tablet or cheap Chromebook will keep you online and in touch or do simple office stuff, if that's all you need. Otherwise, you need at least the bare minimum that will let you do whatever you do, and it's impossible to advise tyou without knowing what that is.

Bear in mind things like - how am I going to access those Time Machine backups if I don't have MacOS?

As for AppleCare - yeah, there's a reason that extended warranties cover your computer for the exact period when it is least likely to fail (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve). Check the small print to see whether an extension will cover existing faults, and remember the golden rule "never pay to insure what you can afford to replace".

Certainly, at the moment, I'd be looking at whether there were possible Windows or Linux fallbacks for your uses. There may not be - but if there are then it will give you more choice come upgrade time: Apple's current business model is wringing as much money as they can from people who can't or won't consider alternatives to Mac.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you have only one Mac ... but have other devices to use... well... just "use what you have".

Not much more to say.

Reactions: TiggrToo

mantler

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
You might be able to call Apple and argue your case, if it's only a couple of months out of warranty, to get them to cover repairs or at least the cost for parts. AFAIK you can't pay to extend beyond the original three years of AppleCare, but I suppose it could be different in some countries because of their consumer laws.

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
AFAIK you can't pay to extend beyond the original three years of AppleCare, but I suppose it could be different in some countries because of their consumer laws.

Oh, you're right. The Apple forum advisors said you cannot extend the AppleCare warranty more than the three years (1 + 2). They recently only allow iPhones and iPads to add extended warranties. So, that's not great if one's Mac have issues after three years.

Short answer: if you can't get by without your computer, you need a backup system. What that system is depends on what you need to do. One reason why I rarely trade in or sell my old computers.

Bear in mind things like - how am I going to access those Time Machine backups if I don't have MacOS?

As for AppleCare - yeah, there's a reason that extended warranties cover your computer for the exact period when it is least likely to fail (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve). Check the small print to see whether an extension will cover existing faults, and remember the golden rule "never pay to insure what you can afford to replace".

Certainly, at the moment, I'd be looking at whether there were possible Windows or Linux fallbacks for your uses. There may not be - but if there are then it will give you more choice come upgrade time: Apple's current business model is wringing as much money as they can from people who can't or won't consider alternatives to Mac.

I do have a non-functioning 2011 MacBook Air, which I suspect is due to DC/IO board failure. Maybe I'll get parts & tools from iFixit, and get my MacBook from storage and see if I'm successful in doing another repair on it, since the first repair a few years ago wasn't successful.

As for Time Machine, and other apps & files, some are bound to macOS environment. So, I can only use a few apps which are cross platform.

That's really interesting about the Bathtub Curve. Will remind myself next time I purchase another computer with warranties.

That's a good idea using Windows or Linux as fallbacks, will start looking into current software which are cross-platform or new alternatives.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If you're stuck using an iPhone as a backup device, an external bluetooth keyboard can make life a bit easier, at least as far as typing. It's nothing like having an actual computer, but it helps.

Reactions: SackJabbit

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
If you're stuck using an iPhone as a backup device, an external bluetooth keyboard can make life a bit easier, at least as far as typing. It's nothing like having an actual computer, but it helps.

Oh yeah, that's a good idea! I'm not great with typing a lot on iPhone keyboard, but I think a full size keyboard will help for sure. Thanks!

Reactions: ignatius345

stegowary

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
1. Cry.
2. Put off the repair for as long as possible.
3. Work out a time where I can be without a computer for a week or more.

I'm writing a PhD thesis (inc doing data analysis) and I've had to get the keyboard replaced on my laptop thrice now. Each time I ended up dealing with the issues for months until I could find a week where I could be without my computer. Once was when I knew I would be working exams for a week and was unlikely to get any work done anyway. The next time was when I had dental surgery and knew I'd be out of action. The other time was when I took a week off to have a holiday.

Not having the luxury of a second computer makes it really difficult, and a lot of people (inc Apple employees) don't seem to understand that.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
If your car is being serviced you get a replacement car (I don't know the English word) for a few days, perhaps Apple should give us a replacement MacBook? They have our computer anyway so they don't have to worry about us not returning it.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
If your car is being serviced you get a replacement car (I don't know the English word) for a few days, perhaps Apple should give us a replacement MacBook? They have our computer anyway so they don't have to worry about us not returning it.
In the USA we call it a rental car. If you have insurance it is paid by them but if not you pay for this. Some dealerships will loan you a car but that is usually if you're getting an in warranty repair done.

I don't know what you use your computer for but if you need it for work or to function in your day to day life a backup system is a must. You can buy a Mac mini fairly cheap and a used one even cheaper. If your tasks aren't GPU intensive this would work perfectly. You can have more than one computer and this would save you if one failed.

I have a Windows PC that would keep me going in case my Mac mini died but I also plan on buying a MacBook when funding allows. I could honestly do all my tasks on my iPhone XS Max since I only use my Mac for web browsing, paying bills, MS Office, watching YouTube, emails, printing documents, texting, etc. The small screen would get annoying but it would work.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Haven't had that situation so far, but I'd either use my desktop pc or my iPad to get by until I got it back.

Or one of my 3 previous Macs. Or the second desktop PC, or the work provided hp laptop :D

MAH11

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2010
I suggest that you use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your machine to an external hard drive before sending it off for repair/replacement. I clone my laptop every Sunday evening as a supplement to my Time Machine backup.

When I have had to send my computer off for service, I have been able to borrow someone else's old machine and work off the external hard drive. This may not be possible for you.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
In the USA we call it a rental car. If you have insurance it is paid by them but if not you pay for this. Some dealerships will loan you a car but that is usually if you're getting an in warranty repair done.

I don't know what you use your computer for but if you need it for work or to function in your day to day life a backup system is a must. You can buy a Mac mini fairly cheap and a used one even cheaper. If your tasks aren't GPU intensive this would work perfectly. You can have more than one computer and this would save you if one failed.

I have a Windows PC that would keep me going in case my Mac mini died but I also plan on buying a MacBook when funding allows. I could honestly do all my tasks on my iPhone XS Max since I only use my Mac for web browsing, paying bills, MS Office, watching YouTube, emails, printing documents, texting, etc. The small screen would get annoying but it would work.
Thanks for the clarification!

For me now it wouldn't be a problem anyway, I even have multiple backup systems, but when I was a student I remember my MacBook Air had some small damage at the screen (I only noticed after a long time). It was fairly insignificant, but I still wanted the screen replaced (it was within warranty). But then I had to miss it for 1/2 weeks, which was obviously very inconvenient. Luckily I could use someone's own backup computer, an old white MacBook which still managed to get the job done if you had a lot of patience. :)

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Thanks for the clarification!

For me now it wouldn't be a problem anyway, I even have multiple backup systems, but when I was a student I remember my MacBook Air had some small damage at the screen (I only noticed after a long time). It was fairly insignificant, but I still wanted the screen replaced (it was within warranty). But then I had to miss it for 1/2 weeks, which was obviously very inconvenient. Luckily I could use someone's own backup computer, an old white MacBook which still managed to get the job done if you had a lot of patience. :)
I remember the CD drive on my MacBook Pro failed a few days before I was to travel internationally. The country I was going didn't have Apple stores or repair shops and I was staying for a while. The Apple store clerk said it would be at least a week or two. I explained the situation that it was an emergency and I needed it by tomorrow night. The next day they had it fixed and didn't even charge me.

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011

It's not for work, I also do a lot of office productivity, researching, emailing, web browsing, YouTube, light gaming now and then, etc. So, nothing graphics intensive. I understand about having a second computer as a backup, been thinking about that for a long time, just haven't got the funds and time to build one (Windows PC or Hackintosh) or buy one. Was hoping this one would run for a long time until I got it.

My last Mac, a 2011 MacBook Air failed due to battery and/or power issues, and this MacBook Pro also needs its battery to be replaced. I have it on the desk most of the time with the power cable plugged in nearly all the time. I think I will end up getting a Mac mini because of that. The heat from charging over time probably causes the battery lifespan to decrease.

I've never tried using my iPhone XS for productivity, but I could try testing it. The problem with some iOS version of Mac apps is they are stripped down versions. So what I do need to use for an app is missing in iOS. I've tried using a few popular apps, and surprised certain things which I use frequently aren't there.

I guess, it's time to really start shopping now; I don't want to reach a point where my MacBook suddenly dies like the last time, and I had to wait a long time before I got a replacement.

I suggest that you use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your machine to an external hard drive before sending it off for repair/replacement. I clone my laptop every Sunday evening as a supplement to my Time Machine backup.

When I have had to send my computer off for service, I have been able to borrow someone else's old machine and work off the external hard drive. This may not be possible for you.

Yeah, totally great advice. I have Time Machine, but I have had a few issues in the past restoring from it. I should make a Carbon Copy Cloner copy soon before some thing bad happens, lol.

And no, unfortunately, they don't have that kind of replacement service. :-(

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
It's not for work, I also do a lot of office productivity, researching, emailing, web browsing, YouTube, light gaming now and then, etc. So, nothing graphics intensive. I understand about having a second computer as a backup, been thinking about that for a long time, just haven't got the funds and time to build one (Windows PC or Hackintosh) or buy one. Was hoping this one would run for a long time until I got it.

My last Mac, a 2011 MacBook Air failed due to battery and/or power issues, and this MacBook Pro also needs its battery to be replaced. I have it on the desk most of the time with the power cable plugged in nearly all the time. I think I will end up getting a Mac mini because of that. The heat from charging over time probably causes the battery lifespan to decrease.

I've never tried using my iPhone XS for productivity, but I could try testing it. The problem with some iOS version of Mac apps is they are stripped down versions. So what I do need to use for an app is missing in iOS. I've tried using a few popular apps, and surprised certain things which I use frequently aren't there.

I guess, it's time to really start shopping now; I don't want to reach a point where my MacBook suddenly dies like the last time, and I had to wait a long time before I got a replacement.

Yeah, totally great advice. I have Time Machine, but I have had a few issues in the past restoring from it. I should make a Carbon Copy Cloner copy soon before some thing bad happens, lol.

And no, unfortunately, they don't have that kind of replacement service. :-(
That’s why I said for work or function day today as in needing a computer in your personal life to function or get things done. I don’t use a computer for work either but I pay bills and do other important things on my computer so it would be difficult to do all this without one.

A base model Mac mini would be a great choice for the tasks you describe. I’m not sure exactly what you mean by light gaming but look up the recommended specs for whatever game you play. The Mac mini will play online games like ones in Facebook just fine but if it’s something that requires graphics it might struggle a bit requiring you to turn down the graphics settings. If you want to save money you could get one refurbished or secondhand. Just be sure if you’re buying it from somewhere other than the Apple store check for reviews and how good the seller is because you may not have a warranty if something goes wrong. I thought about building a Hackentosh myself but I wouldn’t consider it a good back up computer. It’s more of a project to play around with but I'd want my back up computer to be reliable and without any issues. There are many good Windows PCs out there. I wouldn’t expect them to work for 10 years though. My windows laptops usually last three to four years before they have serious issues. You might get a few extra years with a desktop.

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Oh, I don't much game, but when I do it's really light-weight games that don't require much power at all and can run decently with the integrated graphics chip, like Tabletop Simulator, 2D Indie games like To The Moon, Don't Starve, Cuphead, and old FPS games like Left4Dead.

I'll look at reputable authorised resellers to see if they have secondhand's. Otherwise, I'll look at the base models.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

False analogy. Cars are not computers.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Have you checked to see if you're still covered by Apple's extended 4-year replacement policy for the failed keyboard?

You DO know about this, right?
Applecare doesn't matter -- you're covered whether or not you have AC.

I suggest you call Apple IMMEDIATELY -- I mean RIGHT NOW -- and see if you're still covered to get the keyboard replaced.
Do not call a 3rd-party service provider.
CALL APPLE directly. They'll refer you to whomever can do the job.
They might offer to send you a postage-paid return shipping box.
IF THEY OFFER THIS TO YOU, DO NOT REFUSE.
THIS MAY BE THE ONLY OPPORTUNITY YOU GET TO GET THE JOB DONE FREE.

(all shouting is intentional)

When they do this repair, they replace THE ENTIRE TOP CASE of the computer. That includes the keyboard, and you should get a new battery as well.

Aside:
I don't believe it covers the speaker. You may just have to live with the broken speaker if they'll do the rest of the repair "for free".

If you can get the free replacement. DO NOT REFUSE.
Just live without the computer for as long as it takes... and SMILE.

Last edited:

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
No, I wasn't aware of that replacement/repair policy. I'll have to find out more. I was aware that there were complaints about the butter keyboards, and that they introduced new iterations.

But I'll definitely call Apple directly.

If they'll replace the battery as well for free too, that's great! I don't mind if the speaker doesn't get replaced, I can live with that; the left speaker is broken, the right one works just fine.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Again, DON'T PUT THIS OFF.
Your MBP may be nearing the end of the 4-year coverage.
Call immediately... as soon as you read this msg.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
Since you mentioned reserecting your 2011 Air or getting a Mini I would say pick up a used example of either, should go for $200+/-.

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
OP:

Again, DON'T PUT THIS OFF.
Your MBP may be nearing the end of the 4-year coverage.
Call immediately... as soon as you read this msg.

Support line shows they're closed for the weekend. Apple website support for my region shows Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm hours, but I already made a report of my case from my Apple account, and they'll open the case ID come Monday.

I purchased my MacBook mid-2017, and I check the website. You're right, it has a 4-year coverage. I'll get it sent off asap.

Since you mentioned reserecting your 2011 Air or getting a Mini I would say pick up a used example of either, should go for $200+/-.

When you say $200+/- , do you mean pay no more for that the cost of repairs of my MacBook Air, or discount for the Mac mini?

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I would temporarily switch to my ghetto $170 Wintel PC. It can only drive 4K video at 30 Hz but hey, at least it's a computer running a usable operating system (Windows 10).

But I don't have to. I have a second Mac.

Another option would be to sign up for a free virtual machine trial (the last time I checked it was one year for the lowest level of service) at Amazon AWS. Amazon doesn't offer Mac VMs but they do offer Wintel VMs which you can clumsily connect to via Microsoft Remote Desktop on an iPad.

Last edited:

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
Support line shows they're closed for the weekend. Apple website support for my region shows Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm hours, but I already made a report of my case from my Apple account, and they'll open the case ID come Monday.

I purchased my MacBook mid-2017, and I check the website. You're right, it has a 4-year coverage. I'll get it sent off asap.

When you say $200+/- , do you mean pay no more for that the cost of repairs of my MacBook Air, or discount for the Mac mini?

"do you mean pay no more for that the cost of repairs of my MacBook Air"

Yes, as you can buy another used for that. Need to shop around though to get a good one.

I bought a 2011 MBA for $195 and a 2013 for $275, the latter IMO the better buy. Both had low hours (under 1,000) and good batteries, plus were immaculate (because of little use). I use Coconut to check the batteries and Smart utility to check power on hours. Appearance IMO the most important factor when getting a used MacBook.

A 2011 Mini should sell for $200, a 2012 is bit more and has USB3 but adding another or replacement HD to is is a bit harder.

I wipe them clean and install ElCapitan which is available still from Apple. I like 10.11 as there are numerous FREE 32bit programs out there. High Sierra 10.13 and later are 64 bit only AFAIK and also abandon the HFS file system Apple has had for eons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.