Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
'iWatch' seems to be going around a lot, but I remember an interview when Jony Ive was on Blue Peter. He said something along the lines of if you design a lunchbox and call it a lunchbox, you've already limited yourself because you're subconsciously designing around a 'box' shape.

It got me thinking that they'd probably not call it an iWatch. Personally, my money's on 'iWear' -- has a ring to it and may work in Nike-esque adverts: "I work, I play, iWear" or something a lot less cheesy than that.

TL;DR: this doesn't really matter as it's a hypothetical discussion about a hypothetical product, but can't hurt to get people's views. What do you think Apple's rumoured wearable might be called?

EDIT: might start a poll if there are a few name suggestions? :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It will surely, without doubt, be called ,,,"Apple's Wearable".

No question about it!

Remember, you read it here first!

Really....

:rolleyes:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
It will surely, without doubt, be called ,,,"Apple's Wearable".

No question about it!

Remember, you read it here first!

Really....

:rolleyes:

Thanks for your contribution. Maybe I should have made a poll on how many of your comments aren't sarcastic. ;) :p

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Judging by how many of the new Apple products/services don't have "i" in the branding, I think that they would go a different route. "Apple Wearable" sounds semi-nice, if a bit plain.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I totally wiffed on the rumored tablet when apple was about to release the iPad and I thought the name was stupid - not look wear it is. So to summarize I have no idea and lot of higher paid marketing type folks will come up with a name that is quite applely.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
They might stick with iWatch as already it's ingrained on people's minds. Even non-tech sites have been using it (BBC).

Though I'd like to see something a bit different. I want Apple to revolutionise the category, and predefining it as just a watch may seem a bit limited. Maybe iSense or something (but not as bad...)

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Apple has the copyright on the very name iWatch in many countries as I type this. In short, it will be--probably 90% correct--that Apple will call this device by that name.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
As.....

iWatch is pretty obvious. And the little thing would be more than a "common watch". So, would I propose the following?

-AppleGear (mock to Google and Samsung)
-Apple360 (mock to Motorola)
-Apple MobileAssistant
-Alfred (mock to Batman)
-Apple UltraSmart Band
-AppleNitro (mock to Nike Fuel)
-Apple SuperBlade (mock to Victorinox).....

But most surely thing, the device will no be called as any similar to my list....:D

:):apple:

Kiju

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2010
I see them moving away from the 'watch' limitation as well. iWear or Apple Wear does seem a bit more all encompassing.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
For me, I would like to see some humourous knock offs such as (yes this is being sarcastic and silly) -

the iDontCare
and
the iD10T

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
iNude

Laughed at the iBall, I believe it is already taken. I think I have some iBalls stored at my office.

iD10T errors, my favorite. Actual log entry for bugs we have reported.

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2002
I'm curious if this product or some version of it could be a reinvention of the iPod and named iPod. Pair it with a streaming music service and wireless headphones maybe.

Maybe we will get an iWatch that's a powerful and more expensive iOS/OS X/Siri/iBeacon/home automation accessory and alongside it a reinvented iPod as more of a music/fitness/game control oriented device. The era of the iPod is over (yet still a multi-billion dollar business) but the brand/mindshare is still there and ripe to repurpose itself in the face of iPhones and iPads.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
iTime according to a patent from 2011 via CultofMac

iWatch3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.