Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
To all of you who use a PowerPC Mac as your daily driver: What apps do you use for your calendar and contacts and why?

I use iCal and Address Book because they can sync to my iPods and Address Book works with Mail. I like the UI and features as well.

I thought it would be interesting to see what everybody else uses. Maybe I'll find something I like better than the Apple apps! :)

EDIT: Also meant to ask about note taking and what app you use for that. I haven't found a good note taking app for PowerPC yet!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Google. All platforms.

Because Google can be imported in to iCal and Address Book. ANNNDDD! Both of those sync with Entourage. I use Entourage 2008 on my Leopard Macs and Office 2011 on my Intel Mac.

So, an edit on my Mac (PowerPC or Intel) reflects to Google and an edit on my iDevices also reflects to Google and then back down to all other devices connected.

I went this route back with iOS 6 because iCloud would not push edits to Entourage.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I use Mail and Entourage for my different mail accounts. Contacts are synced with Entourage and iCal syncs with my Mac Mini G4 Server. I'll have a look at Tenfourbird as it looks promising for iCloud. I'd be absolutely happy if there whas a chance to use iWork online with my PPCs or at least have a sync for the docs

Reactions: AmazingHenry

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2016
Europa
To all of you who use a PowerPC Mac as your daily driver: What apps do you use for your calendar and contacts and why?

I use iCal and Address Book because they can sync to my iPods and Address Book works with Mail. I like the UI and features as well.

I thought it would be interesting to see what everybody else uses. Maybe I'll find something I like better than the Apple apps! :)

EDIT: Also meant to ask about note taking and what app you use for that. I haven't found a good note taking app for PowerPC yet!

I use iCal. Did a timetable for something, took a screenshot of the window and sent it to my iPad. Works real well

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I use Mail and Entourage for my different mail accounts. Contacts are synced with Entourage and iCal syncs with my Mac Mini G4 Server. I'll have a look at Tenfourbird as it looks promising for iCloud. I'd be absolutely happy if there whas a chance to use iWork online with my PPCs or at least have a sync for the docs
If I understand you correctly, you have contacts and calendars synced across Macs... this would be REALLY useful for me. Could you go into more detail on how you did i?

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
You have to choose "Apple" in the Mail accounts prefs. Be careful, you have to use then your Apple-ID , but not your usual password (when i remember correctly), instead you will use a six-digit code cause of the two-facto-authentification.

see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397
I got mail working, it's the calendar and contacts I'm having trouble with. I can't find any way to connect TFB to a CalDav server, I simply can't find the preference/place to do it!

topbanana_

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I got mail working, it's the calendar and contacts I'm having trouble with. I can't find any way to connect TFB to a CalDav server, I simply can't find the preference/place to do it!

Lightning plugin for CalDav (now part of Thunderbird I believe but maybe not TFB yet but it can be added from the plugins) and SOGO plugin for contacts.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Lightning plugin for CalDav (now part of Thunderbird I believe but maybe not TFB yet but it can be added from the plugins) and SOGO plugin for contacts.
Sorry, but I can't find any of these... I've found information but no download :/. Do you have a version you could upload?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
To keep PPC-macs, intel-macs and iOS in sync I use:

on a daily base:
- TaskPaper 1.0 (PPC), TaskPaper 3 (intel), Taskmator (iOS) for Outlines (Sync via Dropbox)

rarely:
- SOHO Organizer for Sync iCloud Cal/Contacts. (Sync via iCloud)
- MacJournal 5(PPC) / 6 (intel) und iOS-App for text-notes (pictures don't sync with the PPC-version). Sync via iOS-device (PPC<> iOS <> intel)
- SOHO-Notes for text-notes, PDF and pictures (PPC/intel/iOS); Sync via iOS-device (PPC<> iOS <> intel)
Unfortunately support for SOHO-Notes/Organizer will be dropped with future macOS-versions, since the program code seems to be to old to be upgraded ...

for my "old-fashioned" PageSender Fax-Center I run an separate Contact-database within the contacts-app (which is unfortunately not able to be in sync with iCloud) and manually spread that contact database to the other PPC-macs by export/import.

Paperless-Office (also for notes) = my bread&butter-app: DEVONthink
on each Mac I've created a DEVONthink-folder within my user-folder which holds another DT-folder primarily for that specific mac. With CarbonCopyCloner i make scheduled backups from that mac to an USB-stick as soon as both are connected.
So the USB-stick holds them all ...
pb15"/user/documents/DEVONthink/DEVthink-PB15/DT-databases of PB 15"
pb12"/user/documents/DEVONthink/DEVthink-PB12/DT-databases of PB 12"
MacBook2008alu/user/documents/DEVthink-MB2008/DT-databases of MB2008
white intel imac24"/user/documents/DEVthink-iMac/DT-databases of iMac
etc.
... together in one folder with subfolders:
DEVONthink/DEVthink-PB15/databases; ... /DEVthink-PB12/databases; .../DEVthink-MB2008/databases; .../DEVthink-iMac/databases etc.

As soon, as the USB-stick is connected, the DEVthink folders of the other macs are synched from USB-stick back to the local mac too.
Changes to DEVONthink database(s) are only allowed to those databases belonging to their local-mac.
So I can view and search the other databases too and all Macs are fairly in sync and I have backups both on the USB-stick and each mac.
I use a DEVthink-folder named-after and for each single mac, because synching with CCC can be scheduled best by this way: one task mac2usb, several tasks usb2mac that run automatically, as soon as mac and USB are connected.

Last edited:

topbanana_

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Sorry, but I can't find any of these... I've found information but no download :/. Do you have a version you could upload?

You're looking in Thunderbird/TFB > Tools > Addons right?

Add-ons Manager - Mozilla Thunderbird_008.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Given up on Tenfourbird, back to using iCal.

Has anyone had any success on hooking up iCal to iCloud?
It's not possible.

Which is why I switched to just using Google.

Even if you COULD get it hooked up the link is only one way. If you change anything on the Mac it will NOT reflect up to iCloud.

If you really want iCloud connectivity on a PowerPC Mac then try and track down a copy of Chronos SOHO Organizer. The last version was universal. Doesn't look like they are offering it for sale anymore though.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
OK, I don't mind switching to Google as long as I can use it in iCal and it can be used with my iPhone 3GS and iPad mini 1. Thanks. :)
[doublepost=1494715366][/doublepost]@eyoungren After much searching I can't find a working Google CalDav server to plug into iCal. What do you use?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OK, I don't mind switching to Google as long as I can use it in iCal and it can be used with my iPhone 3GS and iPad mini 1. Thanks. :)
[doublepost=1494715366][/doublepost]@eyoungren After much searching I can't find a working Google CalDav server to plug into iCal. What do you use?
IDK. I opened iCal for the first time in a long time today and got met with an authentication error. My password is correct. So, I guess something has happened.
[doublepost=1494718115][/doublepost]
Aha!

Google sent me an email. Apparently there is a setting to allow 'less secure apps' have access. iCal apparently falls under this. Once switching that setting on everything went back to normal.

Here is what you need to enter into the account URL: https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/your_username@gmail.com/user

Where your_username@gmail is your gmail account.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Stupid Apple kicks out their own old Cal/Contact-apps instead of providing an update and force users of their own old hardware to switch to it's rival Google ...
Same with MobileMe/iCloud...

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
IDK. I opened iCal for the first time in a long time today and got met with an authentication error. My password is correct. So, I guess something has happened.
[doublepost=1494718115][/doublepost]
Aha!

Google sent me an email. Apparently there is a setting to allow 'less secure apps' have access. iCal apparently falls under this. Once switching that setting on everything went back to normal.

Here is what you need to enter into the account URL: https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/your_username@gmail.com/user

Where your_username@gmail is your gmail account.
It worked! Thanks! :) Now I just need to figure out how to synchronize it with Address Book...

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.