Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
In my recent "Mac Pro 8.1 - WHAT IF..." someone mentioned wanting to see my home studio, and it got me thinking, I'd LOVE to see everyone's home offices, home studios, etc...I'm sure you all have really cool desks, offices, spaces, and it would be really awesome and inspiring to see all of yours!!!

I'll share mine as well. Not all of it cuz it's a mess right now, but I can show my music studio upstairs. It's got a sound booth, drums, guitars, and is powered by a 2019 5k iMac.

Downstairs in the garage is my Greenscreen studio which is currently powered by a Mac Studio.

and down on the first floor is a theater room "currently being redone I'll post later", and next to that is my home post production studio. That's ran by my 2019 Mac Pro 7.1 which is running 2 w6800x duo's, 28 cores, and a stupid amount of software. a Mac Pro 16inch M1 Max is used for editing footage "since that beast of a machine is only good for 3d animation and sucks at editing footage LOL", and a 13 inch iPad Pro that I use as a 3rd monitor alongside the 2 studio displays. Here are a couple pix "it's a mess in this one too but all good lol".

GBS home Studio.jpg
glowstick bay studios garage studio.jpg
Moon Bridge Music Studio 05.jpg
Moon Bridge Music Studio 06.jpg
My messy as home studio this morning.JPG

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I hope other folks feel compelled to share theirs as well. I love seeing people's desks and offices and creative spaces :)

I like seeing people's gaming setups too :)

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
desk.jpg

So I cannot really show you the full office as I'm in a temporary ( relative dump of a) place but will show you one piece of my desk/office that might be interesting.

So the desk is my own design and if yo look closely there are 3 30" cinema displays built into the desk (about 4mega pixels each) and the big screen is an 8k 60hz 85" display (about 33 megapixels). So about 55megapixel display. Honestly, this is the first time in my entire computing history when I have "enough" screen real-estate.

So the custom desk has some invisible conduits that route cabling, which was more of an engineering feat than it seems. Has USB3, firewire, ethernet, telephone (yes, old telephone), ethernet, and several outlets built in and hidden. My KEF speakers are still boxed up so not out right now. Too many to-dos.

The screens in the desk have proven sooo ultra useful. I always have my multiple finder windows on the middle screen that nothing ever covers them. Then I have notes, contacts, to do's stocks some control panels on the lower screens, again that never get obscured. The screens are tilted at just the perfect angle.

The big 85" screen is on these massive brackets and actually can tilt and swing out and move around.

The desk was a prototype (8' wide, 3' deep, with the very top of the big screen being a little over 6'2" high) and I was planning on building and offering it, but got bogged down in other more pressing ventures/projects. There are 2 other parts to the the desk. Also, not in this image, I had this connected to 4 65" screens that I rotated vertically to essentially make a 21x9 165" screen up in a wall, with glass panels over it the entire size of the wall for white boarding. That way I just drag a document from my Mac to what essentially was just a really big extra screen and we can whiteboard/write over the screens to work on projects.

Anyway, this part of the desk along with the white board are the most life changing for me. The 8k screen has been a MASSIVE productivity boost. It's weird how quickly I got used to it, going from giggling at its ridiculous proportions to thinking, yes, this is normal and totally reasonable. You can see it's really no wider than the three 30" cinema displays, so people who think it's too big, it's not. Of course it takes up more vertical space, but unless you have really low ceilings, that is irrelevant. The screens in the desk are really super useful too, as it's really great just having set places for all my productivity tools and many tool pallets that show up. To get a sense of scale I put the system settings screen, so hopefully that gives a better sense of scale.

Anyway, I hate showing the temporary place but we're still working on new office, and I figure this might be an interesting setup for people to see.

UPDATE: for those interested, a few more shots and early development of my desk 1.0 here, later in this thread. Pasted here for convenience.

Last edited:

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Looks nice -- what about the desk with the Cube?!

I also see the best iMac design there too!
When my wife and I moved into our home last year I finally got some space to just buy things that gave me enjoyment. Some of those have been Macs that I’ve always loved throughout the years. The Cube, the lamp iMac, 12" PowerBook and the classic Mac Pro. (I have 4 in this picture and 2 more that I used to convert into a coffee table…which I use just to hold Mjolnir)

Attachments

• D5D071F9-972A-490D-BED1-4D409C6ABF86.jpeg
    D5D071F9-972A-490D-BED1-4D409C6ABF86.jpeg
    483.2 KB · Views: 470
  • FB634C49-7FE7-46D7-9F6B-336E2BADF9DC.jpeg
    FB634C49-7FE7-46D7-9F6B-336E2BADF9DC.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 439

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
In my recent "Mac Pro 8.1 - WHAT IF..." someone mentioned wanting to see my home studio, and it got me thinking, I'd LOVE to see everyone's home offices, home studios, etc...I'm sure you all have really cool desks, offices, spaces, and it would be really awesome and inspiring to see all of yours!!!

I'll share mine as well. Not all of it cuz it's a mess right now, but I can show my music studio upstairs. It's got a sound booth, drums, guitars, and is powered by a 2019 5k iMac.

Downstairs in the garage is my Greenscreen studio which is currently powered by a Mac Studio.

and down on the first floor is a theater room "currently being redone I'll post later", and next to that is my home post production studio. That's ran by my 2019 Mac Pro 7.1 which is running 2 w6800x duo's, 28 cores, and a stupid amount of software. a Mac Pro 16inch M1 Max is used for editing footage "since that beast of a machine is only good for 3d animation and sucks at editing footage LOL", and a 13 inch iPad Pro that I use as a 3rd monitor alongside the 2 studio displays. Here are a couple pix "it's a mess in this one too but all good lol".

View attachment 2121855 View attachment 2121854 View attachment 2121856 View attachment 2121857 View attachment 2121858
That setup is insane!

My setup is just my MacBook Air, that's all.

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Here's my workplace. The Mac Studio is at the far right, connected to 4 monitors. Below the desk is a stack of disk enclosures with 55 TB online.
Holy cow 55TB under there...SSD or mechanical? Also, is that...a...plane propellor on your wall?! That's so freakin' cool!

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
View attachment 2121955

So I cannot really show you the full office as I'm in a temporary ( relative dump of a) place but will show you one piece of my desk/office that might be interesting.

So the desk is my own design and if yo look closely there are 3 30" cinema displays built into the desk (about 4mega pixels each) and the big screen is an 8k 60hz 85" display (about 33 megapixels). So about 55megapixel display. Honestly, this is the first time in my entire computing history when I have "enough" screen real-estate.

So the custom desk has some invisible conduits that route cabling, which was more of an engineering feat than it seems. Has USB3, firewire, ethernet, telephone (yes, old telephone), ethernet, and several outlets built in and hidden. My KEF speakers are still boxed up so not out right now. Too many to-dos.

The screens in the desk have proven sooo ultra useful. I always have my multiple finder windows on the middle screen that nothing ever covers them. Then I have notes, contacts, to do's stocks some control panels on the lower screens, again that never get obscured. The screens are tilted at just the perfect angle.

The big 85" screen is on these massive brackets and actually can tilt and swing out and move around.

The desk was a prototype (8' wide, 3' deep, with the very top of the big screen being a little over 6'2" high) and I was planning on building and offering it, but got bogged down in other more pressing ventures/projects. There are 2 other parts to the the desk. Also, not in this image, I had this connected to 4 65" screens that I rotated vertically to essentially make a 21x9 165" screen up in a wall, with glass panels over it the entire size of the wall for white boarding. That way I just drag a document from my Mac to what essentially was just a really big extra screen and we can whiteboard/write over the screens to work on projects.

Anyway, this part of the desk along with the white board are the most life changing for me. The 8k screen has been a MASSIVE productivity boost. It's weird how quickly I got used to it, going from giggling at its ridiculous proportions to thinking, yes, this is normal and totally reasonable. You can see it's really no wider than the three 30" cinema displays, so people who think it's too big, it's not. Of course it takes up more vertical space, but unless you have really low ceilings, that is irrelevant. The screens in the desk are really super useful too, as it's really great just having set places for all my productivity tools and many tool pallets that show up. To get a sense of scale I put the system settings screen, so hopefully that gives a better sense of scale.

Anyway, I hate showing the temporary place but we're still working on new office, and I figure this might be an interesting setup for people to see.
Bro this is a crazy setup and I couldn't stop laughing LOLOL. I mean you are basically Neo from the Matrix LOL. This man lives in ones and zeroes. I love it and you DEFINITELY should put that desk up on Etsy, especially if you've figured out how to make it configurable to multiple screen sizes. The idea of having all those finder windows and productivity apps open right on a see through desk is BRILLIANT :)

I love your setup fam, thanks for sharing!!!

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I don't have a Mac Pro, but did want to complement everyone on the nice setups! Always nice to see how other people have their computer setups.
Even if you just have a MacBook, or even a pc, would love to see your workspace! :)

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Dang. I can't top three OG Cinema Displays and a gigantic 8k, but my all-2010 setup is quite enjoyable to use.
Woah, what an awesome throwback setup!! And the Star Wars in concert!?!? I love your workspace :)

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
When my wife and I moved into our home last year I finally got some space to just buy things that gave me enjoyment. Some of those have been Macs that I’ve always loved throughout the years. The Cube, the lamp iMac, 12" PowerBook and the classic Mac Pro. (I have 4 in this picture and 2 more that I used to convert into a coffee table…which I use just to hold Mjolnir)
That Mjolnir table is the desk of champions. No better flex than 2 old school Mac Pro's in all their might holding up earths mightiest weapon! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.