Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeithBN

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2017
6C65E9F5-37D1-46B6-AD28-4B5C1E49CD1E.jpeg
Some wonderful setups on display here, love it!

Here’s my current setup.

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Awesome setup! Do you have some kind of switch to go back and forth between the studio and the pro? Also, love the cube and old school iMac in the bg!!!
I have a GIGABYTE M32UC monitor, which has a built in KVM switch for the Mac Studio and Mac Pro. Works pretty great!

• Love
Reactions: maikerukun

MassMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
Boston MetroWest
Holy cow 55TB under there...SSD or mechanical? Also, is that...a...plane propellor on your wall?! That's so freakin' cool!
Mostly mechanical storage. 55 TB of SSD would cost a fortune. There's a single 1 TB SSD in the stack, used for scratch space on Premiere. And yes, that is an old wooden plane prop. It was a garage find, needing just a little touch-up paint and TLC.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
Bit of a mess right now as I'm preparing to change to a bigger desk.
Also getting wall racks for the guitars so I can use the closet without the hassle of moving the floor rack each time.
Two MacBook Pros (16" 2019 Core i9 32GB, 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16GB) 27" iMac Core i7 32GB, Acer HD display (for reports, no need for hi res), Dell Core i7 32GB Inspiron w/touchscreen. The touchscreen works great with Studio One.
Wow, is that a Roland Jazz Chorus?! That amp is punk as F!

• Love
Reactions: maikerukun

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
I’m an editor for TV and film, and also an artist and I love crystals and being surrounded by colors. Using an iMac Pro 2017 and a MacBook Pro from 2013.

Attachments

• D78B95C4-A0D9-4BDC-B755-D33C03C94D4B.jpeg
    D78B95C4-A0D9-4BDC-B755-D33C03C94D4B.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 245
  • DB2E2327-9437-47A3-921F-D4B9B15DB0A1.jpeg
    DB2E2327-9437-47A3-921F-D4B9B15DB0A1.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 243

burgerbarn

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
I love these threads as they motivate me to clear the built-up bills and junk mail off my desk so I can take pictures.

View attachment 2122431

M1 Mini, Dell monitor of some kind, Caldigit hub, AudioEngine speakers, Flexispot desk that occasionally even spends time in standing position. Also a butt mousepad because I am mentally twelve years old and it makes my wife roll her eyes. Or used to. She's become immune. We'll call this the "productivity" desk to maintain the illusion that I am ever productive.

Bonus photobomb by cat who showed up in our backyard one day and convinced us to feed him for several months before we gave up and let him inside. He's the reason I had to turn off Apple Watch to unlock because I would be sitting in the living room and know he walked across my keyboard when I felt the click on my wrist.

View attachment 2122430

Gaming area with comfy chair, Xbox, PS5, Switch and a Surface Pro 8 hooked up to an eGPU. The TV is a 42" Sony 4K screen, which means by my math that you could fit four of them comfortably into the screen area of that 85" monster that lead me to this thread. :)

And for this blessed moment in time, no stack of junk mail. I solemnly pledge to go through it and properly recycle it instead of putting it back on the desk.
I love these threads as they motivate me to clear the built-up bills and junk mail off my desk so I can take pictures.

View attachment 2122431

M1 Mini, Dell monitor of some kind, Caldigit hub, AudioEngine speakers, Flexispot desk that occasionally even spends time in standing position. Also a butt mousepad because I am mentally twelve years old and it makes my wife roll her eyes. Or used to. She's become immune. We'll call this the "productivity" desk to maintain the illusion that I am ever productive.

Bonus photobomb by cat who showed up in our backyard one day and convinced us to feed him for several months before we gave up and let him inside. He's the reason I had to turn off Apple Watch to unlock because I would be sitting in the living room and know he walked across my keyboard when I felt the click on my wrist.

View attachment 2122430

Gaming area with comfy chair, Xbox, PS5, Switch and a Surface Pro 8 hooked up to an eGPU. The TV is a 42" Sony 4K screen, which means by my math that you could fit four of them comfortably into the screen area of that 85" monster that lead me to this thread. :)

And for this blessed moment in time, no stack of junk mail. I solemnly pledge to go through it and properly recycle it instead of putting it back on the desk.
Wassup Jetfire!

DolphinEyes

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
Thanks, but unfortunately I've got too many projects taking my attention. I am currently designing desk 2.0 and have a good builder. I guess if there were interest, maybe I would release that desk. It would not be cheap. With thunderbolt, fiber, and cat8 cabling, and modern monitors so much easier to deal with, the conduit wiring should be WAY easier for desk 2.0. I think I may try to make desk 2.0 similar, maybe it rises for standing, and tilts for drafting.

Anyway, here are some earlier revisions of the Desk 1.0.

Some of the hidden conduits and early cabling:
View attachment 2122111

A bit of the monitor stand in the back, you can see the integrated mini fridge in the credenza going in and some of the early wiring for the hidden wiring/hubs. So that is wiring just for the credenza and yes, the credenza wiring was conduit driven into the main desk, completely hidden (total pain in the butt). So the credenza had a hidden lower lip and completely hidden cabling, as did the main computer desk. That way if I plug in an iPad on a dock on the credenza it shows up on the Mac and everything is all connected etc.
View attachment 2122112

Again this was a prototype but the wiring was a disaster to manage when it was 6 30" cinema displays. It all BARELY fit in the conduits that would get sealed up and hidden, but here was the prep work:
View attachment 2122119
View attachment 2122121

Here the conduits start to come together and you see some of the, again, early prototype wiring looking better:
View attachment 2122129

Here you can see there is a hidden lip behind the desk where all USB ethernet power etc ports can hide (this was when I didnt have the 8k screen and only had the 6 30" cinema displays and whiteboard wall):
View attachment 2122130

Again, the early setup only had 6 30" displays (and you would only see the 3 cables from the top monitors going into the hidden channel (these were eventually hidden as you can see in the image above, but the image below, we were still finishing the build), but you can see the integrated fridge on the right:
View attachment 2122139

Here we've refined thigns a bit in one of my earlier offices. To the right you can see the whiteboard wall (it's multi color glass). Yellow, red, green blue glass and in the middle of the glass is clear so you can see the 4 vertical 65" displays all connected up as an extended desktop for the Mac Pro (back then the 5,1) under my desk. I made the wall papers of each of the 65" screens mach the colors of the whiteboard glass. And you can just display any image and write over it on the whiteboard wall. I highly recommend this setup if you whiteboard a lot.
View attachment 2122141
View attachment 2122142

You can see some scribbling on one of the whiteboard panels on the left, kind of to-do board for me there, and not a bad view:
View attachment 2122143
View attachment 2122147

Here you can see I dragged a bunch of windows onto the whiteboard wall screens and white boarded marked over it on the glass. We would often mockup a lot of things that way rapidly.
View attachment 2122145

Little shot of the screens going in and the whiteboard glass going over it:
View attachment 2122146

This was my next space, a bit nicer and roomier, and you can see the nice KEF speakers (highly recommended). This was a little before I stared work on getting the 8k modification setup: View attachment 2122148

And just for completeness, my current limbo but with the 8k screen mod done:
View attachment 2122150

Hopefully the new office wont take as long as I fear, but then again, desk 2.0 is going to take me a while to finish designing and prototyping anyway.

Anyway, hope this was useful inspiration for others.
Insane! Wow!

Grumply

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So the desk is my own design and if yo look closely there are 3 30" cinema displays built into the desk (about 4mega pixels each) and the big screen is an 8k 60hz 85" display (about 33 megapixels). So about 55megapixel display. Honestly, this is the first time in my entire computing history when I have "enough" screen real-estate.

What issues have you had to overcome with scaling (for text legibility) and viewing angles, to make the 86" usable up-close?

How far away from it do you need to sit, for it to be managable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.