Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
I’m digging the Boston VIP pass!
Not to flex or anything, but here goes ;)

Reactions: mk313 and Beefbowl

TECK

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Your setup looks very clean!
Thank you, the idea was to make a table that I can use it for work and music production (all Roland Aira stuff). 2023 will be the year when I replace my venerable 2010 5,1 you see in the corner. That boy served me well all these years.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlphaCentauri

blw777

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2022
Here it is after some cleanup! Nothing too terribly unusual, just a MacBook Pro, the LG display monitor, and a whole batch of "fidgets" - smooth fragments of seashells that I rub when immersed in thought. That's a box of SSDs to the right of the speaker and there's another box of HDDs on the floor below it. There's an Epson scanner to the left. Not shown is an Epson 44" printer behind the camera.

66C6D6F7-7A09-4366-8E44-243E2181F774_1_105_c.jpeg

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I could chill there for hours, and I recognize all of the box sets on that media shelf as well so we're similarly-vintaged geeks :)

I've gotten rid of most of my laserdiscs because I no longer had space for them, but the Appleseed LD was the first one I imported so I have a sentimental attachment to it. Also it reminds me of a time in my life when spending far too much money on import LDs was something that seemed PERFECTLY REASONABLE.
Blueseed, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Nedesico, and L.A.I.N. are some of my fav anime of all time. I will never get rid of those sets...I've had them since back in College :)

Reactions: Beefbowl

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
@maikerukun has got to be, hands down, the coolest member of Macrumors!

Love this thread and seeing everyone's digs!
Thank you my friend! <3 That's really kind and I'm happy everyone is sharing. This is the kind of thread that really allows you to get an idea of who people are and since we kind of spend a lot of time in the digiverse with eachother, it's nice to put a desk to a name! LOL. And in my case, I'll put a face too and share one of my YouTube videos about the Mac Pro from last year.

the 2019 Mac Pro (worth buying in 2022?)

I miss having time to make videos like this. My next one will be my review for Avatar 2: The Way of Water. Can't wait! :)

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
The desk set was purchased from Jordan's Furniture near Boston. It's been my main workplace for many years, doing consulting to earn a living and making videos for fun. Here's another view when I was using my old Mac Pro, seen under the desk.
I will never get enough of that propellor :)

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
My goal was to achieve a zero wires visible look for my home office table.

View attachment 2123631 View attachment 2123629
View attachment 2123630 View attachment 2123628
View attachment 2123632

Parts:
  • IKEA KARLBY countertop with 20 layers of polyurethane, for that mirror like look
  • PrimeCables Cab-M02-23R-WH Dual-Motor desk frame (I'm in Canada, they had better prices compared to other popular similar products)
  • Knoll Life chair (I work 100% of time standing, is mostly for guests)
  • Yamaha HS5 studio speakers
  • IsoAcoustics ISO-130 monitor stands
  • Hosa HSX REAN cables (connects speakers to Scarlett 18i20 interface)
  • Jingchengmei 2U Lightweight Foldable 19 Inch Steel Vertical Rack (for KORG recorder and Scarlett audio interface)
  • KORG MR-2000S Studio Recorder (for my music)
  • Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen audio interface (to connect the Yamaha studio speakers to Mac Pro and the rest of my music equipment)
  • Dell U4320P dual monitors
  • Monoprice 8K Certified Ultra High Speed HDMI cables for monitors (product no. 42674 on their site, they have different cable qualities with similar names)
  • ZhiYo 6.6ft 1/2inch White Cable Sleeve (to cover monitor cables, cut in half is perfect length for Ergotron arms)
  • Ergotron HX Desk Mount monitor arms
  • Wali M001WX-W monitor arm (modified to mount a DSLR camera)
  • Artcise NB36 camera mount (attached with a 3/8-16 1-1/2" button head bolt to Wali arm)
  • Jingchengmei 2U Lightweight Foldable 19 Inch Steel Vertical Rack (for Furman conditioner and UniFi Dream Machine)
  • Furman M-8X2 power conditioner
  • UniFi Dream Machine Special Edition (controls all network in my apartment)
  • UniFi Access Point WiFi 6 Lite (one AP covers easy my 1000 square feet apartment)
  • Jingchengmei 1U Lightweight Foldable 19 Inch Steel Vertical Rack (for Pyle-Pro supply)
  • Pyle-Pro PCO850 power supply (extends Furman power supply)
  • Monoprice SlimRun Cat6A ethernet cables
  • Orbitkey Desk Mat (large, black)
  • Benks Grand Pro Headphone Stand (with iPhone wireless charging)
  • Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Cable 0.8m (connects to U4320P monitor and also provides power supply to MacBook Pro)
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW that's some seriously CLEAN work. Im genuinely in shock at the LACK of cables anywhere. You my friend, are a full blown wizard.

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Here it is after some cleanup! Nothing too terribly unusual, just a MacBook Pro, the LG display monitor, and a whole batch of "fidgets" - smooth fragments of seashells that I rub when immersed in thought. That's a box of SSDs to the right of the speaker and there's another box of HDDs on the floor below it. There's an Epson scanner to the left. Not shown is an Epson 44" printer behind the camera.

View attachment 2123763
Nice to finally see the reveal!!! :)

JMStearnsX2

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2020
Ok, here's mine. Moved here a few months ago, not a lot of space in this single wide converted garage, but I'll have to make due and work on cleaning it up a bit.

I work in IT, so I've saved several Macs from the recycle bin. Currently working on a 2008 iMac (the one taken apart), getting it cleaned up and upgraded. I've got a couple of 5,1 Mac Pros (one is custom painted running Windows 10 with a 1080ti in it), working on selling the other one.

Attachments

• IMG_6022.jpeg
    IMG_6022.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_6023.jpeg
    IMG_6023.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_6024.jpeg
    IMG_6024.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 171

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Ok, here's mine. Moved here a few months ago, not a lot of space in this single wide converted garage, but I'll have to make due and work on cleaning it up a bit.

I work in IT, so I've saved several Macs from the recycle bin. Currently working on a 2008 iMac (the one taken apart), getting it cleaned up and upgraded. I've got a couple of 5,1 Mac Pros (one is custom painted running Windows 10 with a 1080ti in it), working on selling the other one.
Very cool :) I see the foot pedals and wheel, looks like you like playing racing games. What's your fav??

JMStearnsX2

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2020
Very cool :) I see the foot pedals and wheel, looks like you like playing racing games. What's your fav??
I like Forza Horizon 4, but I also have my eye on F1 2022, when it goes on sale on Steam.

The 5,1 really does keep amazing me. It's coming up on 13 years old, but is still able to push 100+ fps @ 1440p on Horizon 4 with the 1080ti in it.

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I like Forza Horizon 4, but I also have my eye on F1 2022, when it goes on sale on Steam.

The 5,1 really does keep amazing me. It's coming up on 13 years old, but is still able to push 100+ fps @ 1440p on Horizon 4 with the 1080ti in it.
Crazy what Apple's machines can do when Apple isn't actively working against them LOL.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Not to flex or anything, but here goes ;)

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the link. Cool story.

SimonTT

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2022
Bavaria
Here is mine
IMG_0231.jpeg

this is at night with all lights turned off and the Monitor (LG Ultrafine Ergo(great Monitor)) maxed out for that nice glow.
I am an entirely digital Student so I don't need a normal desk.
I built this desk myself, to my unique requirements, it is about 3 square meters in area and most important, it is wrapped in vegan leather so I don't have to worry about scratching my naked iPhone.
It blends seamlessly with the black wall behind it, I might post some daytime pictures later so you can see the room and not just pure blackness.
My devices are a full 2021 16" M1 Pro MBP, an iPad Air 4 and my beloved red iPhone 13 mini (absolutely perfect/greatest phone of all time)

TECK

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
IMG_6251.JPG
Here's mine!
What is that panel above the keyboard? I presume you use it to control certain actions, you press a button and it does something. Can you please let me know the brand and how you use it?

akidd

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
Tunbridge Wells, UK
I’ve jumped from p2 to p6, but one thing thing seems to be a pattern: no printer. I’ve got the A4 I use next to the A3 I don’t with the scanner I rarely use but enough to keep it on top. And where are the ‘stuff’ that you accumulated? It’s a desk, you put stuff on it. You lot are really tidy.

• Haha
Reactions: maikerukun

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
What is that panel above the keyboard? I presume you use it to control certain actions, you press a button and it does something. Can you please let me know the brand and how you use it?
Sure thing! That’s an Elgato Stream Deck XL. They make various sizes, this is the biggest one. It works in conjunction with Elgato’s software to allow you do all sorts of shortcuts and actions for a wide variety of apps. I use it to control my streaming software, control my music playback, launch apps, even have a short cut to launch various apps and a webpage, change screen brightness, what ever you like.

It’s great wether you’re a streamer, artist, office worker - highly recommend!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.