Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy_Spoons

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2023
Do you have it set as your TM drive, the one your trying to remove?
That will be greyed out.....
No I don't - I have my brand new drive set as TM drive (which is also greyed out obviously). So my exclude backup list is my Mac internal HD, my new G-Drive and the old Elements drive I need to backup. Only the internal isn't greyed out.

Jimmy_Spoons

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2023

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 14.24.13.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 14.24.13.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 84

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
So which drive are you trying to remove from the list?
You have 2 set as TM drives.

You need to unassign the TM drive to remove it from the list.

Jimmy_Spoons

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2023
I'm trying to remove Elements (well, I did actually remove it and then set G-Drive as the TM drive so no idea why its still showing).

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
If it shows on the main TM settings with your new one, remove it and 'forget destination'.

If only your new one shows, eject it.
Connect the old one, which should then show as TM drive, and then remove and forget.

Jimmy_Spoons

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2023
If it shows on the main TM settings with your new one, remove it and 'forget destination'.

If only your new one shows, eject it.
Connect the old one, which should then show as TM drive, and then remove and forget.
Thanks but it didn't worth. They both still show as TM drives.

Jimmy_Spoons

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2023
One thing I wish the people posting here would do is mention what file system they are using. it is going to be either XFAT, OR APFS but knowing which would be good info.
Sorry, didn't realise people needed that info. The hard rive I'm trying to back lists format as 'Mac OS Extended' and the new G-Drive I need to back-up to is APFS.

Reactions: transmaster

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
One thing I wish the people posting here would do is mention what file system they are using. it is going to be either XFAT, OR APFS but knowing which would be good info.
On my Macs I've only ever used HFS+ including on RAID drives. The only exception is with an office NAS which uses ExFat for PC & Mac file sharing.

Skytouch

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
I am one of the people that was waiting for a quality thunderbolt DAS that can take multiple NVME for some time now.

I waited so long for that OWC MiniStack Studio and i just gave up on it …

As you guys said it before, this market segment (DAS) it’s really ignored.

I don’t want / need a NAS because :

- I am single user and don’t need a multi-user / multi-device storage solution.

- I don’t want RAID. Uptime and availability it’s not mission critical for me so RAID it’s just another overkill / complicated overhead and point of failure.

- I don’t want to deal with arrays and other file systems structures, proprietary raid controllers , software, OS etc. I just want to plug my storage directly to any PC or MAC out there and it just works.

- I don’t need huge storage pools that can be achieved only by RAID.

- I hate to set-up user accounts, credentials and permission levels just to be able to access my storage as a single and only user and no “outside” access needed.

… and so on

I would love to have :

- A dead simple, fast and silent external storage solution

- Keep using mainstream filesystems (NTFS, APFS, HFS) on these storage devices that can be read hassle free by any mainstream OS (Mac, Windows)

- Bigger NVME SSD (4-6-8-12 tb) using a reliable technology (TLC)

- Just give me one simple location (6-8-12 TB) to dump my files and i’ll be happy. Give me a fast one (SSD + Thunderbolt) , a dead silent one (no fans, hdd noise etc.) , a reliable one … and i’ll be in paradise :))
Your preferences sound similar to mine. In researching 4-bay DAS, the few attractive units have noise issues. A pro DAS should cost a bit more and use a Noctua fan by default. Sabrent 4-bay and 5-bay models have a useful feature in that each bay has its own power switch which allows drives to be swapped without disturbing any that are online. The problem is that if any drive is online, the fan is spinning.

Regarding quality multi-bay NVMe enclosures, the Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe TB3 Dock looks promising. It has a small, reportedly quiet fan, plus good internal volume and air flow to keep the blades cool. It does not advertise smart power management like an Echo III PCIe enclosure; I do not know if there are mounting issues when cycling Mac power.

And I concur on formatting backup drives as APFS or HFS+ for fast access when needed. Synology advises BTRF for NAS volumes, and due to Linux, external drives connected by USB (for offsite backups) cannot be formatted HFS+ Journaled. One alternative would be a dedicated Mini M1 configured as a local Mac-native file server, connected to the Mac Studio via 10 GBe. Performance would be great, spinning drive formats would be HFS+ Journaled, and the Mini could manage B2 or other cloud backup independently.

I also like ingest products designed for video production, notably Sandisk Professional Blade Station, but again have concerns about noise, heat, and its proprietary blade interface that has not been widely adopted yet.

These are some of the puzzle pieces I'm looking at.

Last edited:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Currently using Maiwo KS1695 USB4 NVMe enclosure (cheap $54) and have tried it with both the Samsung 970 EVO Plus (2TB) and Samsung 990 Pro (2TB).

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 19.56.41.png

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 20.11.01.png

wdhpgx

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
Currently using Maiwo KS1695 USB4 NVMe enclosure (cheap $54) and have tried it with both the Samsung 970 EVO Plus (2TB) and Samsung 990 Pro (2TB).

Do you have a link for the "Maiwo KS1695 USB4 NVMe enclosure (cheap $54)"? Where did you buy it?

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
OWC just released a fanless bus-powered USB4 enclosure for $120:

1702087998451.png

Here's a review (though what they say about TB4 enclosures being theoretically faster is incorrect--TB4 is limited to 32 GB/s for data, while USB4 can do ~38-39 GB/s for data (USB's 40 GB/s figure includes the encoding overhead, while TB's 32 GB/s value does not).

Last edited:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
OWC just released a fanless bus-powered USB4 enclosure for $120:

View attachment 2322668

Review (though what they say about TB4 enclosures being theoretically faster is incorrect--TB4 is limited to 32 GB/s for data, while USB4 can do ~38-39 GB/s for data (USB's 40 GB/s figure includes the encoding overhead, while TB's 32 GB/s value does not).

Looks nice if not a bit expensive for something that doesn't require certification as stringent as Thunderbolt.

Other USB4 solutions can be had for way less though.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Looks nice if not a bit expensive for something that doesn't require certification as stringent as Thunderbolt.

Other USB4 solutions can be had for way less though.
Are there others besides the Maiwo that are much less than $120?

From what I've seen, $120 is pretty much the going rate (OWC, Zike, Hyperdrive, and Satechi are all $120), and the Maiwo is the outlier.

1702250827301.png

Since these are new, prices may drop.

Reactions: TheStork

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Are there others besides the Maiwo that are much less than $120?

From what I've seen, $120 is pretty much the going rate (OWC, Zike, Hyperdrive, and Satechi are all $120), and the Maiwo is the outlier.

View attachment 2323352

Since these are new, prices may drop.
I wouldn't expect to pay the same for something that doesn't require Intel Thunderbolt certification and use an Intel Thunderbolt controller. I fully expect the ASM2464PD to be much cheaper.

With that said the new OWC Express 1M2 with USB4 (ASM2464PD) is also priced at $120.

tvv

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2023
I wouldn't expect to pay the same for something that doesn't require Intel Thunderbolt certification and use an Intel Thunderbolt controller. I fully expect the ASM2464PD to be much cheaper.
Expectations versus reality. Not sure it is actually much cheaper.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Expectations versus reality. Not sure it is actually much cheaper.
Sorry but the Maiwo USB4 enclosure with the same Asmedia chip is literally selling for $51 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm willing to bet their sales margin isn't zero or negative.

tvv

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2023
Sorry but the Maiwo USB4 enclosure with the same Asmedia chip is literally selling for $51 🤷🏼‍♂️
On Alibaba, not any US based store. And substantially different design and materials. Reviews online say it runs over 50c at just idle. So yeah, easy to make a $51 enclosure if you use plastics and thin metals to save on costs. Also of note the OWC one comes with a Thunderbolt cable (so more cost there too). YMMV- I prefer a drive I can hold comfortably in my hand temperature wise.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
On Alibaba, not any US based store. And substantially different design and materials. Reviews online say it runs over 50c at just idle. So yeah, easy to make a $51 enclosure if you use plastics and thin metals to save on costs. Also of note the OWC one comes with a Thunderbolt cable (so more cost there too). YMMV- I prefer a drive I can hold comfortably in my hand temperature wise.
I bought the Maiwo in Denmark (EU) for $70 (20% VAT, without $56) with shipping.

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 18.25.21.png

The NVMe drive inside is 39℃, it's fine really and it came with a 40Gbps USB4 cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.