Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OWC Larry

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Woodstock, IL
Sorry but the Maiwo USB4 enclosure with the same Asmedia chip is literally selling for $51 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm willing to bet their sales margin isn't zero or negative.
First thing is that it's likely built in China and getting benefit of a direct ship loop hole that avoids tariff... But even with that - I am questionable for any enclosure $51.

The OWC solution is well engineered, uses materials of high quality, and is built in Taiwan for a number of very good reasons.

Our cost just on the solution is also well over $51 - and that's before freight, engineering, support, etc. Drives throttle when they get hot - chipsets and other hardware can cook as well. That Asmedia 2464 is the hottest part of the equation in design. From end to end, the Express 1M2 has been designed provide long term, reliable operation - the is thermally safe to handle + ensures the longevity of both drive and controller as well.

There are plenty of ways to toss together a cheaper unit - from PCB layers, SMT process, cable quality, etc... The right overall design and the proper thermal design/housing is what gives long term benefit. also don't end up with a discolored desk and/or melted plastic too - or worse.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
First thing is that it's likely built in China and getting benefit of a direct ship loop hole that avoids tariff... But even with that - I am questionable for any enclosure $51.

The OWC solution is well engineered, uses materials of high quality, and is built in Taiwan for a number of very good reasons.

Our cost just on the solution is also well over $51 - and that's before freight, engineering, support, etc. Drives throttle when they get hot - chipsets and other hardware can cook as well. That Asmedia 2464 is the hottest part of the equation in design. From end to end, the Express 1M2 has been designed provide long term, reliable operation - the is thermally safe to handle + ensures the longevity of both drive and controller as well.

There are plenty of ways to toss together a cheaper unit - from PCB layers, SMT process, cable quality, etc... The right overall design and the proper thermal design/housing is what gives long term benefit. also don't end up with a discolored desk and/or melted plastic too - or worse.
Thanks for dropping in and providing some background. I'm the one who orginally posted about your USB4 enclosure ( https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...o.2337454/page-14?post=32778004#post-32778004 ).

I'd like to ask about your OWC Envoy Express [ https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/envoy-express/thunderbolt-3 ], which is your TB-certified bus-powered NVMe enclosure. It's limited to 1553 MB/s. [And I believe that's the case for all TB-certified NVMe enclsoures.] By contrast, bus-powered TB enclosures from vendors like Acasis (which I assume aren't TB-certified) are capable of nearly twice that. Why is that?

Does the TB certification require you to limit the speed to 1553 MB/s and, if so, why? My initial thinking was that your device is bus-powered, and allowing higher speeds might over-draw power from the TB port (resulting in device disconnection and corruption of the data stream), so the TB specification limits the speed for bus-powered devices in order to be conservative in how much power they will draw. [The idea being that you don't know which NVMe SSD will be installed in these, and it needs to not overdraw regardless of the SSD, hence the need to be conservative.]

But Sabrent has a TB3-certified dual NVMe enclosure that isn't bus-powered, yet it also has that speed restriction (unless you install two NVMe's and run it in RAID), so it can't be just a power limitation. [ https://sabrent.com/collections/nvme-enclosures/products/ec-t3dn ]

Last edited:

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Thanks for dropping in and providing some background.

I'd like to ask about your OWC Envoy Express [ https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/envoy-express/thunderbolt-3 ], which is your TB-certified bus-powered NVMe enclosure. It's limited to 1553 MB/s. By contrast, bus-powered TB enclosures from vendors like Acasis (which I assume aren't TB-certified) are capable of nearly twice that. Why is that?

Does the TB certification require you to limit the speed to 1553 MB/s and, if so, why? My initial thinking was that your device is bus-powered, and allowing higher speeds might over-draw power from the TB port (resulting in device disconnection and corruption of the data stream), so the TB specification limits the speed for bus-powered devices in order to be conservative in how much power they will draw. [The idea being that you don't know which NVMe SSD will be installed in these, so it needs to not overdraw regardless of the SSD, hence the need to be conservative.]

But Sabrent has a TB3-certified dual NVMe enclosure that isn't bus-powered, yet it also has that speed restriction (unless you install two NVMe's and run it in RAID), so it can't be just a power limitation. [ https://sabrent.com/collections/nvme-enclosures/products/ec-t3dn ]

OWC uses an inferior / cheaper thunderbolt controller in their Envoy Express, the JHL6240.The JHL6240 is PCIe 3.0 x2. Its counterpart, the JHL6340 is PCIe 3.0 x4, and that delivers the full Thunderbolt 3 spec.

OWC Larry

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Woodstock, IL
Thanks for dropping in and providing some background. I'm the one who orginally posted about your USB4 enclosure ( https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...o.2337454/page-14?post=32778004#post-32778004 ).

I'd like to ask about your OWC Envoy Express [ https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/envoy-express/thunderbolt-3 ], which is your TB-certified bus-powered NVMe enclosure. It's limited to 1553 MB/s. [And I believe that's the case for all TB-certified NVMe enclsoures.] By contrast, bus-powered TB enclosures from vendors like Acasis (which I assume aren't TB-certified) are capable of nearly twice that. Why is that?

Does the TB certification require you to limit the speed to 1553 MB/s and, if so, why? My initial thinking was that your device is bus-powered, and allowing higher speeds might over-draw power from the TB port (resulting in device disconnection and corruption of the data stream), so the TB specification limits the speed for bus-powered devices in order to be conservative in how much power they will draw. [The idea being that you don't know which NVMe SSD will be installed in these, and it needs to not overdraw regardless of the SSD, hence the need to be conservative.]

Thanks and glad to reply -

Our current Envoy Pro FX (and SX before it) has a design that is extremely power efficient. We're glad to be able to offer the current Envoy Pro FX with pre-built, certified solutions up to 4TB. There are a lot of factors that go into certification, including cables.... for example, while we include a shorter cable - certification requires that it still falls under maximum power draw even with the longest powered 40Gb/s cables today - like Apple's 3.0M. All 40Gb/s Thunderbolt cables over .8M have a higher power draw the takes from power budget. Even that notwithstanding, there are some M.2 drives that are higher power than others and all of them are higher draw sustaining full PCie 4-lane speed... so of the present, and despite our best efforts - certification of a 0GB 4-lane NVMe bus-powered enclosure just isn't in the cards.

I'd interject a comment - what is happening over copper, with plug and play capability - is incredible. What even is happening in a certified Thunderbolt cable and chipset - to ensure everything is optimum - blows the mind.

We also offer desktop solutions with different NVMe speed capabilities, and depending on solution - there we do have to work current Thunderbolt chipset PCIe lane limitations. Our Express 4M2 provides 1 lane to each of the 4 drives as that's what the chipset allows without using a switch. A better solution, if out do not want to RAID the drives - would be an Accelsior 4M2 in a Helios chassis (or in Flex8 or 1U4 or Titan) whereas the 4M2 incorporates a switch so each of the 4 blades gets the full 4-lanes. Without going into additional details... I am very excited for what we will be doing with thunderbolt 5 in desktop NVMe. Without a switch - you have up to 4 lanes and have to direct them to single device end paths.

In all of our solutions - we use the best chipset(s) for the solution/function to be delivered/demanded. The JHL6240 used in the Express is not inferior, with respect to application, it was the ONLY chipset that could check all the boxes to enable use to offer a bus-powered, Thunderbolt certified 0GB kit. I'd not call it inferior in general - by design, it meets different application needs. anyway...

If looking for a bus-powered solution that will provide the 2800MB/s+ on any Thunderbolt USB-C equipped Mac or PC - Our original OWC Envoy Pro SX solution are available for a limited time from $99.00 with the capability.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
What's the skin temperature under full load? Its the ASMedia chip that gets super hot in these.

I would have to get an IR thermometer for that.

The OWC Envoy Express with the NVMe drive installed weighs 84 gram and the Maiwo K1695 with the drive installed weighs 138 gram, so it is heftier. I can see the new OWC Express 1M2 is much heavier at 253 gram without any drive installed, so I am sure it will fare better.

I mean, a large majority of things are produced in China and I can understand why you wouldn't exactly recommend things not made by the company you work for. That's fine and I appreciate the work you and your company does 👍🏼

I don't doubt the unit I bought was simply made cheaper (I can take pictures of the PCB if you want to look at it) but unfortunately your solution (or any other made with the Asmedia controller) wasn't available when I bought this enclosure. I still have the OWC Envoy Express but it will probably be a while before I could buy the OWC Express 1M2 in the EU 😅

OWC Larry

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Woodstock, IL
I mentioned MIC as it's typically less expensive to build even equivalent in China - not because that itself would make it lesser. That being said - for USA, made in China by default means a 25% tariff (as noted, a loop hole exists on direct sales) + lose TAA Certification as well (not really a concern for many outside of Gov.

Reactions: splifingate

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
In all of our solutions - we use the best chipset(s) for the solution/function to be delivered/demanded. The JHL6240 used in the Express is not inferior, with respect to application, it was the ONLY chipset that could check all the boxes to enable use to offer a bus-powered, Thunderbolt certified 0GB kit. I'd not call it inferior in general - by design, it meets different application needs. anyway...

If looking for a bus-powered solution that will provide the 2800MB/s+ on any Thunderbolt USB-C equipped Mac or PC - Our original OWC Envoy Pro SX solution are available for a limited time from $99.00 with the capability.
Thanks! You wrote " The JHL6240 used in the Express...was the ONLY chipset that could check all the boxes to enable use to offer a bus-powered, Thunderbolt certified 0GB kit." But it's not the only chipset that does that...the one in the Envoy Pro SX checks all those boxes as well. Are you saying that, when you first released the Envoy Express, that was the only chipset available, and the one used in the Envoy Pro didn't come along until later?

I can see why someone might want an Express rather than a Pro--e.g., I had disconnection problems with higher-power bus-powered external SSD's attached to the TB ports of my 2019 iMac, that were solved by switching to lower-power externals.
Our Express 4M2 provides 1 lane to each of the 4 drives as that's what the chipset allows without using a switch. A better solution, if out do not want to RAID the drives - would be an Accelsior 4M2 in a Helios chassis (or in Flex8 or 1U4 or Titan) whereas the 4M2 incorporates a switch so each of the 4 blades gets the full 4-lanes.
I was initially a bit confusd by this, since you were talking about how a 4M2 ("whereas the 4M2") is better than a 4M2. I think what you meant was the following, right:?

A better solution, if you do not want to RAID the drives, would be to put Accelsior 4M2 PCIe card in a Helios chassis (or in Flex8 or 1U4 or Titan), since whereas the Acceslsior 4M2 incorporates a switch so each of the 4 blades gets the full 4-lanes.
Without going into additional details... I am very excited for what we will be doing with thunderbolt 5 in desktop NVMe. Without a switch - you have up to 4 lanes and have to direct them to single device end paths.
Very cool--it means you can have multiple-SSD enclosures and get full bandwidth from each SSD*, even when non-RAIDed, without needing a PCIe-card-based solution. [*Assuming you are using only one at a time.]

Last edited:

OWC Larry

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Woodstock, IL
I was initially a bit confusd by this, since you were talking about how a 4M2 ("whereas the 4M2") is better than a 4M2. I think what you meant was the following, right:?

A better solution, if you do not want to RAID the drives, would be to put Accelsior 4M2 PCIe card in a Helios chassis (or in Flex8 or 1U4 or Titan), since whereas the Acceslsior 4M2 incorporates a switch so each of the 4 blades gets the full 4-lanes.

Very cool--it means you can have multiple-SSD enclosures and get full bandwidth from each SSD*, even when non-RAIDed, without needing a PCIe-card-based solution. [*Assuming you are using only one at a time.]
Sorry about that... Accelsior 4M2 is the 4-blade PCIe card we offer that works in any Thunderbolt PCIe Chassis or in our Flex1U4/Flex8 - where each blade has access to all lanes. I apologize first talking about the Express 4M2 Eternal Solution and then not having the full OWC Accelsior 4M2 name on the very different PCIe carrier card. In my mind I'd said the entire thing. My mind knew what was supposed to be there.. and even re-reading, missed the exclusion as filled it right in. There are solutions for today and the future more exciting yet. Thank you - I appreciate the dialogue on this!

Reactions: splifingate

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Thank you - I appreciate the dialogue on this!
Likewise!

Could you please also address the first thing I was wondering about in my last post?:
Thanks! You wrote " The JHL6240 used in the Express...was the ONLY chipset that could check all the boxes to enable use to offer a bus-powered, Thunderbolt certified 0GB kit." But it's not the only chipset that does that...the one in the Envoy Pro SX checks all those boxes as well. Are you saying that, when you first released the Envoy Express, that was the only chipset available, and the one used in the Envoy Pro didn't come along until later?

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001

The Envoy Pro SX uses the JHL6340. It was available, OWC using the JHL6240 was intentional. That's not a bad thing in itself. If all they said was that it was chosen for lower power consumption, that would be a fine answer but that that's not how they chose to answer it. The JHL6340 checks all the boxes they claimed, even being bus powered. I'd choose the Maiwo USB4 enclosure all day over this enclosure. It has twice the performance at nearly half the price!

Reactions: rhett7660

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
How does the Acasis TBU405ProM1 enclosure compare to the OWC Envoy Pro SX and OWC Envoy Pro FX? I bought an Acasis TBU405ProM1 enclosure and I'm not sure it's working right. I couldn't format a WD SN850X with it.

whgmkeller

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2016
Netherlands

Our current Envoy Pro FX (and SX before it) has a design that is extremely power efficient. We're glad to be able to offer the current Envoy Pro FX with pre-built, certified solutions up to 4TB. There are a lot of factors that go into certification, including cables.... for example, while we include a shorter cable - certification requires that it still falls under maximum power draw even with the longest powered 40Gb/s cables today - like Apple's 3.0M. All 40Gb/s Thunderbolt cables over .8M have a higher power draw the takes from power budget. Even that notwithstanding, there are some M.2 drives that are higher power than others and all of them are higher draw sustaining full PCie 4-lane speed... so of the present, and despite our best efforts - certification of a 0GB 4-lane NVMe bus-powered enclosure just isn't in the cards.

I'd interject a comment - what is happening over copper, with plug and play capability - is incredible. What even is happening in a certified Thunderbolt cable and chipset - to ensure everything is optimum - blows the mind.

We also offer desktop solutions with different NVMe speed capabilities, and depending on solution - there we do have to work current Thunderbolt chipset PCIe lane limitations. Our Express 4M2 provides 1 lane to each of the 4 drives as that's what the chipset allows without using a switch. A better solution, if out do not want to RAID the drives - would be an Accelsior 4M2 in a Helios chassis (or in Flex8 or 1U4 or Titan) whereas the 4M2 incorporates a switch so each of the 4 blades gets the full 4-lanes. Without going into additional details... I am very excited for what we will be doing with thunderbolt 5 in desktop NVMe. Without a switch - you have up to 4 lanes and have to direct them to single device end paths.

Larry, can I ask you about the status of the OWC Ministack Studio ? It was announced at NAMM 2022 but it has been very silent around this since then.
I got in touch with OWC customer support about a half a year ago and they couldn't provide me with information. Maybe you can give us an update? What's the delay? When can we expect this product ?

Reactions: b17777

b17777

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
St.Paul MN
Larry, can I ask you about the status of the OWC Ministack Studio ? It was announced at NAMM 2022 but it has been very silent around this since then.
I got in touch with OWC customer support about a half a year ago and they couldn't provide me with information. Maybe you can give us an update? What's the delay? When can we expect this product ?

I've also been waiting to order the OWC Ministack Studio since you showed it at NAMM.
Any update on this ?

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
The Envoy Pro SX uses the JHL6340. It was available, OWC using the JHL6240 was intentional. That's not a bad thing in itself. If all they said was that it was chosen for lower power consumption, that would be a fine answer but that that's not how they chose to answer it. The JHL6340 checks all the boxes they claimed, even being bus powered.
Yeah, I checked Intel's website, and both chips were introduced in Q2 2016. So his response that the slower JHL6240 "was the ONLY chipset that could check all the boxes to enable use to offer a bus-powered, Thunderbolt certified 0GB kit" doesn't seem to hold water.

I appreciate that OWC Larry took the time to come on the forums and respond to other parts of my posts, but I'm disappointed that he twice dodged my question about that specifically. As you said, it would have been a fine answer if he simply said it was chosen for lower power consumption.

Reactions: MRxROBOT

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Yeah, I checked Intel's website, and both chips were introduced in Q2 2016. So his response that the slower JHL6240 "was the ONLY chipset that could check all the boxes to enable use to offer a bus-powered, Thunderbolt certified 0GB kit" doesn't seem to hold water.

I appreciate that OWC Larry took the time to come on the forums and respond to other parts of my posts, but I'm disappointed that he twice dodged my question about that specifically. As you said, it would have been a fine answer if he simply said it was chosen for lower power consumption.

That type of reply works for average users but was pretty bold to pull that on an enthusiast forum. I left an honest review years ago for one of their Envoy enclosures and SSDs that listed the issues I was having... it was deleted almost immediately. I don't trust companies that scrub their reviews or tip toe around product questions. They lost me as a customer and I was a customer from way back when they were sending out product catalogs by mail.

tvv

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2023
ONLY chipset that could check all the boxes to enable use to offer a bus-powered, Thunderbolt certified 0GB kit
There are no certified bus powered 0GB enclosures anywhere on the market. If you read between the lines, it suggests that Intel will not certify a 0GB solution that uses exposes 4 lanes of PCIe.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
There are no certified bus powered 0GB enclosures anywhere on the market. If you read between the lines, it suggests that Intel will not certify a 0GB solution that uses exposes 4 lanes of PCIe.
First, you put this in your post, but the following wasn't my own statement:
1702613287210.png

Instead, as I had clearly indicated, that was my quote of OWC Larry. That should have been likewise indicated in your post. I'm sure you don't want people attributing to you things you never said.

Second, sure there are--see below. Though this one is limited to 2 PCIe lanes, probably to ensure that, regardless of what SSD you put in it, it won't cause disconnection by exceeding the TB port's power limit.

Perhaps you instead meant there are none with 4 PCIe lanes. That may be the case, and it would make sense, but I can't speak to that. OWC Larry said their 0 GB Envoy Pro, which is 4 lanes, is TB-certified; though perhaps he misspoke.

1702612800518.png

Reactions: TheStork

tvv

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2023
Sorry, I meant to quote you pointing out that the "doesn't seem to hold water" isn't quite right. It should've had your quote:

I was trying to explain that "checking all the boxes" might have meant that it was the only chipset that Intel would certify as a 0GB solution at that time when the product came out. Exposing only 2 lanes keeps the power draw down.
He did not directly say it was chosen for lower power consumption, but my point before on reading between the lines suggests that it was. Again, given that at the time when they came out, there were no 0GB certified enclosures that used the JHL6340.

I'd use the term having 4 PCIe lanes and exposing 4 PCIe lanes interchangeably, but perhaps one term is better to use. You are right at the Envoy Pro does have 4 lanes, but it was only recently in the past few months that it has been sold 0GB.

Reactions: theorist9

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Sorry, I meant to quote you pointing out that the "doesn't seem to hold water" isn't quite right. It should've had your quote:

I was trying to explain that "checking all the boxes" might have meant that it was the only chipset that Intel would certify as a 0GB solution at that time when the product came out. Exposing only 2 lanes keeps the power draw down.
He did not directly say it was chosen for lower power consumption, but my point before on reading between the lines suggests that it was. Again, given that at the time when they came out, there were no 0GB certified enclosures that used the JHL6340.

I'd use the term having 4 PCIe lanes and exposing 4 PCIe lanes interchangeably, but perhaps one term is better to use. You are right at the Envoy Pro does have 4 lanes, but it was only recently in the past few months that it has been sold 0GB.
Almost every post you have links, recommends, or mentions OWC... 🧐

whgmkeller

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2016
Netherlands
CES has come and gone and sadly no announcement of a OWC Ministack Studio with multiple M.2 bays. Yes, I know about the new Thunderblade they announced but that is way out of the price range I’m looking for.

Reactions: b17777 and TheStork

Richard10250

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2023
For what its worth, I purchased the OWC Envoy Express and it seems to perform well except for the dreaded "Disk Not Ejected Properly" error message every time my Studio comes out of sleep mode. I have researched this message, applied the recommended solutions (Put hard disks to sleep = never) with no success. Last time the Studio sleep for a couple days I returned to find a screen full of "disk not ejected properly" error messages.

I emailed OWC support regarding the issue and they promptly responded, but they could only offer the suggestions that I have already tried. Their fall back suggestion is to keep ejecting the drive after use. This is not a reasonable solution for my use case.

In the end the issue is likely with MacOS, but regardless this greatly degrades the usefulness of the enclosure for me.

Hackaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2016
Italy
Hi there,
anyone here has experienced with a Linux machine directly connected to the Mac Studio via a Thunderbolt port (both sides: linux and Mac)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.