Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
That's quite a list.

I've looked at some of the games and just didn't care at some point, but I wasn't looking at the mods available.
Trust me Mod's are where it's at, with some far exceeding the retail design & content. More to the point you can make it your own game...

Doom 3 like you've never experienced before in 4K...
Doom 3 Hell Knight - Macworld 2001 Preview.jpg

No change to gameplay...

Q-6

Reactions: bousozoku

Queen6

macrumors G4
Alien Isolation (October 2014) remains to be the best Alien game produced and one of the best of its genre. Now closing on it's first decade, while still looking great there's always room for improvement thx to the modding community...:)

Install in the order below;
  1. Configure Alien Isolation in launcher of choice to not auto update, clean install of the game is recomended.
  2. Intro Videos Removed - Link
  3. Alien 3 Variant of 20th Century Fox Intro Video - Link
  4. Improved Alien A.I - Link
  5. 2K Cutscenes - Link (no editing of Alien Isolation's .exe is required for 2K)
  6. 2k Textures - Link
  7. Enhanced Graphics Settings - Link
  8. My Enhanced Graphics Settings - Attached, Shadow Maps redefined with increased granularity (512-4K) as there are almost no noticeable differences above this value. Increasing shadow map resolution to very high levels (8K,16K) may introduce shadow flickering in some areas. if you opt for this setting file step 7 can be disregarded.
  9. If any audio glitches during cutscenes lock FPS to 105. This is a limitation of the game's engine on modern hardware not the mod.
The mod results in a greater level of graphic fidelity with expanded options. The Alien is far more organic in nature, being much closer to the original xenomorph in the 1979 film. All images are taken from the film based DLC's as I have no intention of spoiling the main game for those who have yet to play...

Max graphics setting, full film grain.
1709855219914.png

1709855274454.png

1709855470204.png

1709857458250.png

1709855514100.png

1709855562353.png

Note, as the game's difficulty level is raised the Alien becomes an increasingly dangerous & very significant threat to the player, however the A.I. remains fair throughout. "A perfect organism" with a "structural perfection matched only by its hostility."

All links have specific instructions. This is a very easy mod as is just a matter of unpacking the archive's and copying files in place. As the mod is modular you can opt out of parts that dont interest, although as a package a solid improvement on the retail game. All credits go to the creators who are listed on the respective download sites (Nexus Mods & MODDB).

n.b. Nexus Mods requires an account to download files, however all mods can be downloaded for free with no payment necessary.

Q-6

Attachments

• Alternate Engine Settings-1.0.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Is anyone playing-- or has played Middle-earth: Shadow of War, (any) Assassin’s Creed, Elden Ring on an Intel Mac with Bootcamp/Parallels/Wineskin Winery…??? Would it even be worth the effort? I’m more interested in just being able to explore these open worlds and maps at my leisure; I’ve been taking my time with the Mac versions of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and (starting from 2013) the Tomb Raider trilogy for over a few years now LOL

TIA!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is anyone playing-- or has played Middle-earth: Shadow of War, (any) Assassin’s Creed, Elden Ring on an Intel Mac with Bootcamp/Parallels/Wineskin Winery…??? Would it even be worth the effort? I’m more interested in just being able to explore these open worlds and maps at my leisure; I’ve been taking my time with the Mac versions of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and (starting from 2013) the Tomb Raider trilogy for over a few years now LOL

TIA!
I don’t have an answer, just questions. :) What are you currently using for Windows compatibility? What GPU capabilities? I’d assume your best shot would be Bootcamp…

Reactions: suburbia

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I don’t have an answer, just questions. :) What are you currently using for Windows compatibility? What GPU capabilities? I’d assume your best shot would be Bootcamp…
Thank you! It's an iMac 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5; Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB; 72 GB RAM; running Ventura 13.6.5

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thank you! It's an iMac 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5; Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB; 72 GB RAM; running Ventura 13.6.5
Your using Bootcamp? When I was using Bootcamp on a MBR (2012-2016), I’d check a game’s min specs, see how close I was, hopefully above, and hopefully find reviews for comparable hardware.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Just started playing the native version of Baldur's Gate 3 on my M3 Macbook Pro Max today. Seems to play just fine -- didn't mess with any of the settings as of yet. So guess they are on the default settings. Just trying to get familiarized with some of the controls/commands on the thing.

Beautiful game and enjoying myself so far.

Reactions: Huntn and diamond.g

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
What's the best military strategy game for Mac? Not looking for shooting style games. More interested operational, strategic gaming.

Reactions: Irishman

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
What games in that genre do you like to play now?

I don't play games now so am looking for new titles.

In the past I played a WWII game on the Mac, the name of which I can't recall. It was really fun, fairly hard, and strategic enough for my interest. I wish I could remember the name. Maybe it is from the pre-Intel era. The game spoke a few german phrases. It had scenarios in the east, the desert, and maybe the western front. It was real time play so you had to keep working moving all the units.

Even longer ago I played a north Africa game, again, the title escapes me. That game was turn based and my friends and I could play over email. That was a blast.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
March 2024
  • Skyrim- Replay, set aside when I was distracted by Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines. 🙃
  • Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines- Replay, set aside when I was distracted by Hogwart’s Legacy. 😐
  • World of Warships- As usual. I dislike subs that have been inserted into the game, but were given unreasonal buffs to make them competitive. Homing torpedoes? Pishaw…🤔
  • Hogwart’s Legacy purchased this on sale, and am happy with it. I am a fan of the books and movies, and this game is set back in the 19th Century. Tons of stuff to do, fun challenging magic combat. My critique is that although the voice acting is excellent, and you talk to a lot of people throughout the story, social interaction, the inability to have friends at the midpoint in the story seems lacking, no companions, it feels like being a loner. However some stories like Vampire, it‘s ok being a loner although you can acquire a girlfriend of sorts. :)

IMG_3155.jpeg

Some definite strides have been made to give the solo player company. This is a standard I’ve grown accustomed to in RPGs, even though admittedly such interactions have been a on a very limited scripted basis. If it’s not there, as broken as it is, I miss it. Today I look forward to more and better such interactions, especially being on the cusp of AI interactions sure to appear in the near future.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Manhunt Banner.jpg

Mods installed;
  1. Execution Filter Removal (full uncensored AO rated game)
  2. PluginMH2 (60FPS, multiple other fixes & features)
  3. Cutscenes, better audio quality (2X stock audio bitrate)
  4. Remastered HUD, featuring HD weapon icons, crosshairs, radar, main menu, loading screen, and text
  5. The Project Textures (hand picked or created to replicate the originals with superior quality)
  6. PS2 Load screens (better quality vs PC)
  7. Improved A.I. gameplay difficulty level with Hunters is increased a touch
  8. Lost Environmental Executions - WIP;
    1. Vending Machine
    2. Dumpster
    3. Dentist Chair (mod)
    4. Guillotine
  9. Considering some specific textures for PC, NPC, weapons & environment's, equally want to keep the visual balance
Manhunt 2 barring all the controversy was graphically crippled by the insistence on the game being released on Sony's PSP. Originally the game was targeted for the more powerful PS2 by R* Vienna. When the studio shuttered, the semi finished game passed to R* London, something in the mix changed. This combined with the troubled development process resulted in mediocre graphics across all platforms (PSP, PS2, Wii & PC ). The combination of mods goes some way to realise how the game was meant to be at release on Windows.

Is Manhunt 2 a bad game? No far from it, however it's not an outstanding one either. The game is and remains to be controversial due to the nature of the gameplay and it's history. Manhunt 2 also likely touched a nerve with some as Rockstar Games were very full on with their approach. The game directly alludes to real world experiments driven by classified projects, only falling short of naming names.

Outlast hints at the same project however Red Barrels were far more subtle in their approach. That and a good few more years had passed. Of the two Outlast is by far more the horror experience that still scares many today. Manhunt 2 is very different in approach, one that is highly unlikely ever to be repeated. To discuss the gameplay beyond the obvious would immediately result in spoilers as it's very much a journey of discovery...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.