Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
The funny thing is Palworld plays nothing like Pokemon. It plays more like Ark Survival Evolved, but instead of dinosaurs it's Pokemon like creatures, creatures you command to do your bidding, no matter what.

And that's probably why I love it so much. I used to love Pokemon, but the franchise in the past 12 years went in a direction I did not like and it only got worse and worse overtime. Combined with it's horrible fanbase, Pokemon is just a joke now, a joke that still makes stupid amount of money because idiots keep buying this slop

So Palworld is a massive breath of fresh air, taking the monster catcher genre in a different direction we haven't seen before.
I don't really get it. Is the part of Pokemon you like just the monsters? I like the JRPG aspects of Pokemon and it has pretty unique gameplay with regards to the typeset/move pool and how you can customize your party. Some of the later entries have been not the best but Legends: Arceus was pretty good IMO. Even the "bad" ones have been a decent time to me anyways. I'm hopeful Pokemon company will learn some lessons from Scarlet/Violet fiasco and stop requiring that the Anime/Card Game/Video Game all need to be ready to go the same time and give some more breathing room to make things that are actually polished.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I don't really get it. Is the part of Pokemon you like just the monsters? I like the JRPG aspects of Pokemon and it has pretty unique gameplay with regards to the typeset/move pool and how you can customize your party. Some of the later entries have been not the best but Legends: Arceus was pretty good IMO. Even the "bad" ones have been a decent time to me anyways. I'm hopeful Pokemon company will learn some lessons from Scarlet/Violet fiasco and stop requiring that the Anime/Card Game/Video Game all need to be ready to go the same time and give some more breathing room to make things that are actually polished.

What I loved about Pokemon was the world. You had a vast world to explore on your own, a world filled with stuff to do and sights to see. But overtime the single player experience has been put on the wayside as legacy feature after legacy feature has been cut out. There's hardly anything to do anymore.

The Game Corner, gone
Pokemon Contests, gone
The Pokeathalon, gone
Secret Bases, gone
The Battle Frontier, turbo gone
Any sense of challenge or difficulty, gone
Hell I even lost Triple and Rotation Battles. I loved the hell out of Rotation Battles

Lost Features.jpg

The games used to feel packed with content and stuff to do, but now all that's left is the VGC competitive side

And now with Sword and Shield it's gone beyond just cutting features and content, to now cutting the Pokemon themselves. There's clearly nothing left for me in Pokemon anymore as now new games are just about a gimmick for that generation that won't even return the next game. Hell this pic I posted is outdated as it was made back in 2019. More can already get added to it

In fact Youtuber ScottFalco made a song that really goes down into what I loved about Pokemon and why I left the franchise

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
A lot of that stuff is generation gimmicks though or even game specific. Even Sword/Shield has it's own gimmicks. The only one I really miss is contests.

Game Corner is gone because the European video game rating agency doesn't allow simulated gambling in games rated for kids.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
@Spaceboi Scaphandre has talked about it quite a bit in other threads.

Personally I don't care that much about Pokemon, so what is essentially a 'barely legal' Pokemon knock-off with guns ...

I think that Palworld is completely differs from Pokemon except for it's art style.

If it was "barely legal", I'm sure that Nintendo would be quickly suing the Palworld developers.

Reactions: bousozoku and Huntn

Queen6

macrumors G4
Alien Isolation - Crew Expendable DLC
Screenshot 2024-02-06 102837.png

Screenshot 2024-02-06 102600.png

Screenshot 2024-02-06 103551.png

Screenshot 2024-02-06 103646.png

Screenshot 2024-02-06 103454.png

Screenshot 2024-02-06 104158.png

Now modded with upscaled textures, improved A.I. and a few other bits & pieces. Looking very decent with a greater level of detail. The Alien is now far more organic in nature, utterly terrifying same as the original film. Needless to say first play after a good while didn't end well...LOL

Alien Isolation remains to be the best Alien game produced, with few others coming close. A tremendous single player game, that's utterly terrifying more so now with the changes to the A.I. Time to start a new campaign :cool:

Q-6

• Love
Reactions: Huntn and Irishman

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Alien Isolation - Crew Expendable DLC
View attachment 2346136
View attachment 2346135
View attachment 2346137
View attachment 2346138
View attachment 2346139
View attachment 2346140
Now modded with upscaled textures, improved A.I. and a few other bits & pieces. Looking very decent with a greater level of detail. The Alien is now far more organic in nature, utterly terrifying same as the original film. Needless to say first play after a good while didn't end well...LOL

Alien Isolation remains to be the best Alien game produced, with few others coming close. A tremendous single player game, that's utterly terrifying more so now with the changes to the A.I. Time to start a new campaign :cool:

Q-6
I don’t want my sleep disrupted… 😛

• Haha
Reactions: Queen6

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I started Hogwarts Legacy and I can see why it was the biggest seller last year.

It runs perfectly under Crossover 23.7.1 using d3dmetal.

Trailer:
Did you try the new Ark Survival Evolved Ascended Game with the updated textures? I see the ratings aren't that good at Steam. 🤔

Queen6

macrumors G4
VTMB with a little bit of Black Magic - 4K resolution textures & HQ audio as a starter...
Screenshot 2024-02-08 130114.png

Time to do a little graphical updating to one of the best RPG's ever produced. Seeing as VTMB2 is looking to be a disaster might as well look to the original.

Not sure is for the better or the worse, just figured how to run Total Chaos DC natively on a modern Mac.
Next up running the game natively on Apple Silicon, might just as feel I'm real close...

Q-6

• Love
Reactions: txa1265 and Huntn

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Did you try the new Ark Survival Evolved Ascended Game with the updated textures? I see the ratings aren't that good at Steam. 🤔

ASA will not run on my Mac under Crossover.

It looks good but, the biggest complaint I hear is that ASA seems to makes the fastest Windows pc run slow.

ASE runs great under Crossover so I'm only generally missing the improved graphics of ASA.

Palworld (same type of game as ASA and ASE) supposedly runs great under Crossover so I'm sure I'll get it when it gets out of early access.

Reactions: Huntn

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

It looks good but, the biggest complaint I hear is that ASA seems to makes the fastest Windows pc run slow.

ASE runs great under Crossover so I'm only generally missing the improved graphics of ASA.

Palworld (same type of game as ASA and ASE) supposedly runs great under Crossover so I'm sure I'll get it when it gets out of early access.
Yeah Palworld and ASA both use UE5. The main difference is ASA tries using Nanite and Lumen and all the other wizbang features of UE5 while Palworld does not. If you turn all the cool new features off in ASA performance improves.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
VTMB with a little bit of Black Magic - 4K resolution textures & HQ audio as a starter...Time to do a little graphical updating to one of the best RPG's ever produced.
Played again last year - couldn't get it going on Steam Deck so replayed on my MS Surface Pro.
Seeing as VTMB2 is looking to be a disaster might as well look to the original.
I did the pre-order when it was available a few years ago so it is already sitting in my GoG library :D My expectations were it would never be released, so my new expectations of it being an absolute dumpster fire are an improvement!

Reactions: Huntn and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Played again last year - couldn't get it going on Steam Deck so replayed on my MS Surface Pro.

I did the pre-order when it was available a few years ago so it is already sitting in my GoG library :D My expectations were it would never be released, so my new expectations of it being an absolute dumpster fire are an improvement!
I think that VTMB can be played on the Steam Deck I seem to remember reading something about it on Reddit. Wasn't a straight forward install mind.

I think VTMB2 is coming, recently watched a 30 minute preview on YT. Just thought did these people even look at the original game? Looks like it's a pile of generic garbage. So decided to update the original as there are plenty of assets spread across the web.

When I saw the pre-order for VTMB2 I was sorely tempted, sadly like so many these days money well saved. GOG still has it listed, however no pre-order. Had they any decency they would refund as barring the disastrous development it doesn't look to be remotely close to VTMB.

Very few would have the balls to produce such a game now being perpetually in fear of the permanently offended & hate mob would be all over it. Personally I'd just tell em all to take a walk as in **** off. Good films & games sell and nobody is forced to play or watch what they don't like...

Q-6

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

A:SE when it first came out was horribly slow too. 🤔

Reactions: Plutonius

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Haven't really played much Fallout, so decided to fire up New Vegas. I had been playing so much Starfield lately that I'm finding myself always trying to jump again while I'm already in the air. :p

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I think that VTMB can be played on the Steam Deck I seem to remember reading something about it on Reddit. Wasn't a straight forward install mind.
Yes I found something and decided not to bother because I already had other games to play on Deck. Might try it again
I think VTMB2 is coming, recently watched a 30 minute preview on YT. Just thought did these people even look at the original game? Looks like it's a pile of generic garbage. So decided to update the original as there are plenty of assets spread across the web.

When I saw the pre-order for VTMB2 I was sorely tempted,
Definitely coming, reportedly this fall. I was glad to see that my pre-order from ~2019(?) still applies. I had written that off (maybe someday I will learn?).

To me the more recent stuff they're releasing looks better than the early previews - but I feel like the inexperience of the developers in this area, along with limited time and budget for such a huge undertaking will doom it to either being more or less an adventure game or a hot mess.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yes I found something and decided not to bother because I already had other games to play on Deck. Might try it again

Definitely coming, reportedly this fall. I was glad to see that my pre-order from ~2019(?) still applies. I had written that off (maybe someday I will learn?).

To me the more recent stuff they're releasing looks better than the early previews - but I feel like the inexperience of the developers in this area, along with limited time and budget for such a huge undertaking will doom it to either being more or less an adventure game or a hot mess.
Best thing they could have done with VTMB is just remaster it Dead Space style i.e. respecting the original and enhancing it. I'll be stunned if VTMB2 is anything more than mediocre given the gameplay footage shown would be the very best of what they have . Dull uninteresting characters, as for the protagonist 🤣 So far off the mark they should just rename it and save themselves the embarrassment...

Keep going in this direction they will be torn apart. I have no idea why film & gaming studios no longer listen and serve their audiences unless they just like dumping countless millions down the drain. They really have it all wired backwards...

Q-6

Reactions: Huntn and txa1265

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Haven't really played much Fallout, so decided to fire up New Vegas. I had been playing so much Starfield lately that I'm finding myself always trying to jump again while I'm already in the air. :p
I don’t mean to be the Site Starfield Curmudgeon 🤔, but since I set it aside and reverted to Skyrim SE, I could not be happier. Starfield felt flat to me, Skyrim feels alive, most of it due to the atmospheric, the music is glorious. And I’m chomping at the bit to return to Fallout 4, and these are games I’ve played though before!

Reactions: Queen6 and dmr727

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I don’t mean to be the Site Starfield Curmudgeon 🤔, but since I set it aside and reverted to Skyrim SE, I could not be happier. Starfield felt flat to me, Skyrim feels alive, most of it due to the atmospheric, the music is glorious. And I’m chomping at the bit to return to Fallout 4, and these are games I’ve played though before!

I still need to buy Fallout 4. Having fun in New Vegas at the moment, though!

It's funny, I spend a bunch of money upgrading my rig, and I'm back to playing games that I can run on my toaster. :p

Last edited:
  • Love

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY

You're far from the only one! :D

I feel like Starfield should be the example in the dictionary for 'mediocrity' - it certainly isn't bad, but neither is it good.

Skyrim from day one was an awesome game - truly Bethesda's pinnacle (or at least best since Morrowind which I also love). I've played Skyrim on PC, Switch, and most recently on Steam Deck last year - it just doesn't get old! And maybe I'm biased growing up in the Boston area but I had tons of fun playing and replaying it and checking out Park Street Station where my wife and I met up to head out on our first real date.

Starfield feels like teflon ... I keep playing trying to like it but it is impervious.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Skyrim from day one was an awesome game - truly Bethesda's pinnacle (or at least best since Morrowind which I also love). I've played Skyrim on PC, Switch, and most recently on Steam Deck last year - it just doesn't get old!

I really enjoy Skyrim as well, and every couple of years I'll jump back in just to enjoy the atmosphere. Now that Starfield has been released, we can start looking forward to ES6. Can't come soon enough!

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
While I absolutely agree Starfield is average, I do wonder about how our perceptions will change with the passage of time. I remember Fallout 4 (and to a lesser degree Skyrim) both being roundly excoriated when they were released, with that opinion lingering for years. Who knows, once Starfield has a few years of modding behind it, we might think of it more fondly too.

Reactions: Huntn and dmr727
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.