Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
A 32GB Nexus 7 wifi only and with 3G. Also, a 10" Nexus called Nexus 10, running Key Lime Pie.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
There is also the new LG Nexus phone. They will probably present the Nexus Q as well and give it a definite launch date.

As far as software goes, I think we'll see Key Lime Pie, focus on it's improvements such as the rumoured multiuser support and better battery management, improvements to Google Now, new version of the Gmail app among other things.

With Apple and Google holding events in the coming days, the end of this month is sure looking exciting. Can't wait to see what both companies have in store for us.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Next generation Nexus phone is pretty much given since Google has a trend of releasing one every year (just like Apple does with the iPhone)

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
From The Verge: Google reportedly set to announce 10-inch high-res Samsung Nexus tablet with Android 4.2

"Google and Samsung will announce a new 10-inch tablet codenamed "Manta" at its October 29th event, according to The Next Web."

I would definitely get this as opposed to the Nexus 7 I am planning to get if it is released this year.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I guess 16GB for the LG Nexus will have to do..

That's a shame though because 16gb is pathetic. On my iPhone alone I have 10gb of Apps, and that's not including music, and other media. 16GB with no expandable memory is clearly not enough.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Nexus 10 with higher PPI than the current iPad?

Nexus 7 with 32GB (for $250) and optional 3G?

Nexus 4?

Android 4.2 to build on what's already a superior smartphone OS?

All I can say is...

3os73l.jpg

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. : ]

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
That's a shame though because 16gb is pathetic. On my iPhone alone I have 10gb of Apps, and that's not including music, and other media. 16GB with no expandable memory is clearly not enough.

I completely agree. I like having all my music on my phone locally too so that's about 8GB. I really don't understand why they don't make 2 versions and let us choose so that way they'll satisfy everyone.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I completely agree. I like having all my music on my phone locally too so that's about 8GB. I really don't understand why they don't make 2 versions and let us choose so that way they'll satisfy everyone.

but how far should manufactures go before saying this is big enough

my music is about 55GB so with other things I cant even get it all on my iPod Touch (64GB model), many people have much bigger libraries so 128GB is not enough

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

my music is about 55GB so with other things I cant even get it all on my iPod Touch (64GB model), many people have much bigger libraries so 128GB is not enough

As big as possible as long as the prices of storage keep going down and there's enough room inside the phones without making them too thick. I do have a pretty small library but wanting all my music on my phone isn't the main reason I want more storage. 16GB is just too small for these days. I have custom ROMs, nandroid backups, pictures/videos, apps and documents I want on my phone.

I just have't fully embraced keeping all my things in the cloud and I don't want to, not yet, not with the slow data speeds I get.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
As big as possible as long as the prices of storage keep going down and there's enough room inside the phones without making them too thick. I do have a pretty small library but wanting all my music on my phone isn't the main reason I want more storage. 16GB is just too small for these days. I have custom ROMs, nandroid backups, pictures/videos, apps and documents I want on my phone.

Depends on your usage, I do agree that more is better and I would have loved the 32GB Nexus 7, but I quite easily keep it down to around 3 to 4 GB free all the time, similar to how I manage my media on my iPod

It all really depends on what you need the device for

For streaming media, reading books, bit of web surfing/emails, a high storage device is not really needed

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Depends on your usage, I do agree that more is better and I would have loved the 32GB Nexus 7, but I quite easily keep it down to around 3 to 4 GB free all the time, similar to how I manage my media on my iPod

It all really depends on what you need the device for

For streaming media, reading books, bit of web surfing/emails, a high storage device is not really needed

I guess I'm a bit of hoarder when it comes to what I have on my devices.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I'm only using 9.5 gigs I know I'm in the minority. Keep in mind everyone that this phone may come in a 32GB flavor like last years Nexus. Although that was only on the carrier version.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

If they give an exapndable slot, you can get a 64 GB microcard and put it on there. I dont see why anyone would need 128 GB of music on their phone. I only have 6 GB on mine and never hear some songs if im in random mode and let it go. But, to each their own.

Maybe we should start writing Google and let them know we would like more space on their Nexus line of phones.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Android Tapioka
Or
Android GomaDango :D
Tapioka is a long way off, considering we're up to K.

GomaDango is a no go, their G version was called Gingerbread.

Ok,you got me. Was not thinking too deep; just dumped some favorites in a post.
So by skipping L: one of the next could be "Mandelsulz" but it would be German and therefore not valid one ... I don't like mousse.

But these namegiving is kind of funny: like for Ubuntu or Mac OS
Ah, that's all too much OT; let's see you elsewhere. ;)

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
When it comes to music, I think the best thing to do is to have it all in the cloud as opposed to the phone itself. My iTunes library is 36GB and I have it all available on my Galaxy S3 through Google Play Music (which is possible to use outside the US). I can stream it over the cellular network or via wifi only and can download to the phone those songs that I listen to the most to have them available offline.

This way you don't have your internal device memory eaten up by all your music, which is what usually takes the most space.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Google should announce a homemade smartphone that has the mass appeal of the iPhone 5. Then this would be real interesting.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

My music library is 192GB, generally I only ever sync 12-14gb of that collection to my phones, nano & tablets.

Don't see the point in carrying it all around tbh, so I only sync the albums I'm listening to the most at the time.

The entire lot is synced to iTunes Match already though..

Back to google,

I think we can rule out multiple nexus phones, just the lG Nexus announcement.

Possible 10" nexus

Sneak preview of next OS

16/32 GB nexus 7 to replace the 8/16 GB versions. Possible 3G version

Tbh I think it's probably going to be pretty unsurprising way they reveal, much like the Apple announcement.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
When it comes to music, I think the best thing to do is to have it all in the cloud as opposed to the phone itself. My iTunes library is 36GB and I have it all available on my Galaxy S3 through Google Play Music (which is possible to use outside the US). I can stream it over the cellular network or via wifi only and can download to the phone those songs that I listen to the most to have them available offline.

This way you don't have your internal device memory eaten up by all your music, which is what usually takes the most space.

I prefer it on my phone. That way i dont have to stream it and use more data thus saving some money with a smaller data plan. Then again, i just read that T-Mobile is giving true unlimited now so i will have to check that out to see if it is the same price or what the deal is.

I also like it on my phone so i dont have to worry about not being in a weak signal area.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
16/32 GB nexus 7 to replace the 8/16 GB versions. Possible 3G version

I really wish that Google would set the bar to have 3G/4G included in the base price of the tablet instead of the outrageous $129 cost that Apple (and others) charges. The fact is that the feature exists in most SoC chips now so I don't understand why there is an extra charge in the first place.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Really wonder what the price of that Nexus 10 will be...

----------

Boy oh boy... Google's soon-to-be lineup could be amazing.

1) Nexus 4 - LG's Nexus smartphone. Starts at $399 unlocked. (Wonder if they'll still offer the Galaxy Nexus at a super low entry price point. Maybe $249 or even $199?)

2) Nexus 5 - Maybe that rumored HTC Nexus device? Probably not as the rumblings of this device have seriously dwindled. But anything's possible...

3) Nexus 7 - Will offer a better value at both price points thanks to doubling the storage sizes. And possibly adding a line of Nexus 7 with 3G capabilities too? Great.

4) Nexus 10 - Higher end tablet to compete with the big boys. The supposed 300 ppi could wow the socks off. How you like 'em retinas, Apple? Heh.

Seriously though... sounds amazing.

LG-and-Sony-Joining-Google-for-Next-Nexus-Devices.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.