Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
He's also using his OC'd 4770k.

Others can chime in here, but I'd say skip the CPU folding; not worth the power and heat; save the power for the Titans which are way more efficient PPD/watt-wise (I think nVidia cards use up 1 core each which then leaves not a whole lot for folding SMPs anyhow) and please thank him for his contribution!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Others can chime in here, but I'd say skip the CPU folding; not worth the power and heat; save the power for the Titans which are way more efficient PPD/watt-wise (I think nVidia cards use up 1 core each which then leaves not a whole lot for folding SMPs anyhow) and please thank him for his contribution!
Yeah I mentioned to him what was replied earlier about need 16 cores. Lol. he's trying it out though.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Nice, just keep in mind 3. 4. 4. 6.

I'm happy to leave my place for a bunch of Titan

----------

16 cores ? One core each NV card for core 17 will be enough ;)

I think that'd be 16 cores for bigadv. You're right about a core for each NV card. All the threads over on [H] seem to suggest that running GPUs with bigadv causes the bigadv points to suffer too much; best to use a separate box with a low-power CPU to run the GPUs and leave the bigadv rigs doing only bigadv.

that's what I do :)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
[nerd]I couldn't see my little 660Ti suffering from the poor nvidia driver and put it back on its own motherboard with the right driver version. Now the "twins" are folding with the actual 335-version while the 660Ti is back to 319.x.
Hope NV brings us a short version of the Titan; this one free PCIe slot hurts ... [/nerd]

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I'm shutting down for the night. We have Tornado watch/warnings for my area and I don't want my computer running if the power goes out.

But I do have a nice surprise coming this week ;) I can't wait to get it.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
I'm shutting down for the night. We have Tornado watch/warnings for my area and I don't want my computer running if the power goes out.

good luck on getting through without any damage in your area...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

hope everything worked out for you!

what's the surprise?

on a side note, my 760 is only getting about 30-33k ppd, instead of the 65k+ it was getting. any ideas? it's in the same rig as the 780, and it's doing fine.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
hope everything worked out for you!

what's the surprise?

on a side note, my 760 is only getting about 30-33k ppd, instead of the 65k+ it was getting. any ideas? it's in the same rig as the 780, and it's doing fine.

which core units is the 760 pulling down? sometimes they get split according to what is more powerful.

My 7970s have been getting a steady stream of 8900s over the last few weeks, whereas my 660ti has been getting nothing other than 7810/7811s. Same points overall but the 7810/7811s have wildly varying PPD estimates depending on the frame. (but they are accurate at the end of the run)

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2013
Sadly i'm not folding on any... my old PPC G4 Mac mini is not strong enough for V7 and all V6 or older installs are not going to be getting any units anymore :(

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
which core units is the 760 pulling down? sometimes they get split according to what is more powerful.

My 7970s have been getting a steady stream of 8900s over the last few weeks, whereas my 660ti has been getting nothing other than 7810/7811s. Same points overall but the 7810/7811s have wildly varying PPD estimates depending on the frame. (but they are accurate at the end of the run)

been getting 7810s, and right now showing 28k ppd. it's been under 40k ppd for several weeks now. no idea why.

We got lucky. Our area went unaffected.

Tomorrow!

good to hear!

it's today! spill the beans!

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
been getting 7810s, and right now showing 28k ppd. it's been under 40k ppd for several weeks now. no idea why.

if you feel like trying a test, take a look at the log for one unit of 7810. Note the start time and the finish time and determine the elapsed time; divide by 100 (frames) in minutes and seconds and plug the numbers into the bonus point calculator here:

http://linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php

and it should give a more accurate figure for PPD. This is the only way I know how to get a decently accurate PPD figure for my big rig since V6 doesn't give you much info...

----------

Sadly i'm not folding on any... my old PPC G4 Mac mini is not strong enough for V7 and all V6 or older installs are not going to be getting any units anymore :(

don't feel bad -- as it's been pointed out, most of us pulling the big points aren't folding on macs any more; mostly PCs with powerful GPU cards and the odd bigadv rig (16+ fast cores running Linux on a dedicated machine)

but if you're a PC gamer, you've got the power :D

----------

it's today! spill the beans!

yeah -- we're keen to find out!!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
if you feel like trying a test, take a look at the log for one unit of 7810. Note the start time and the finish time and determine the elapsed time; divide by 100 (frames) in minutes and seconds and plug the numbers into the bonus point calculator here:

http://linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php

and it should give a more accurate figure for PPD. This is the only way I know how to get a decently accurate PPD figure for my big rig since V6 doesn't give you much info...

i use hfm.net to track the ppd.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
nope. the 780 in the same machine is doing great. so i'm not sure why it's so low. right now it's getting 24k ppd on 8900

maybe finish the slots so the machine is idle and delete the slot and add it back in? sometimes that helps. maybe reinstall FAH from scratch? I think you can uninstall and leave your user and passkey info intact...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.