Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Was a pleasure! ? These things seemed to spawn in every corner of our home ...
(luckily they are smaller and not uniquely colored like the old iMacs - just ask my wife. ?)

How many A1260s have you had so far, just out of interest? :)
[automerge]1588453042[/automerge]
Yes, thank you! :D

Erik and a 15" MBP? Now I've seen everything.
[automerge]1588453141[/automerge]
No - not all, but two "emerald-books" with the green dot.
[...]
Finally I managed to apply "my temporary fix" (AKA "Voldemort") on 3 defective logic-boards/GPUs (those ones meant for replacement) and I still have the initially purchased working units left on stand-by (one of them sports a green dot too) for the very occasion, that those revived spare-part-machines should fail. (Which hopefully won't ever happen - my father was a baker ... ;))

Let's keep our fingers crossed then. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How many A1260s have you had so far, just out of interest? :)
[automerge]1588453042[/automerge]

Erik and a 15" MBP? Now I've seen everything.
Well, I've had it since mid-2018…and I don't look a gift-horse in the mouth. :)

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
How many A1260s do you have, out of interest? :)
One as my daily driver, 3 for deployment for home-office use (now standby), 3 "fixed" units (originally defective and meant for replacement parts, but now doing the home-office job) and 1 defective unit for spare parts, that was actually really "burned"/damaged by the previous owner (and I've done my damage too ... #100 )
I'm lucky, that there are 2 emerald-dot units to be the last stand, if all faulty GPUs and my fix won't work anymore.
Last week I've got another defective (black screen) A1260 for 35 bucks: came with 128GB SSD, 6GB RAM, new battery, defective charger and in overal good condition. Runs fine after "fixing", though fans are a bit noisy. Still working after 3d stress-test with a cloned (my) regular ElCapitan-installation (VPN, Office, DEVONthink, browsing/streaming/music)

Reactions: Amethyst1

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Would you use an 11" MBA if it was a gift?
The 11"MBA is outstanding!
Got mine in Chessnut-St/SF in 2014. First (and presumably only ?) trip to the USA.
Unforgettable - all these memories and the Walter Mitti soundtrack in my ears!
Unforgettable also the situation, when stupid me I desperately looked for the äöü-keys ...?
I'm so sorry about everything, that's going on now!

Finally my MBA got stolen out of my bag while in my office in 2014.
But that event made me go back: for a 2008-13"MB-Unibody and for my first PPC - an iBook-G4.
"werweiswoföretjutiss"

Update:
I happend to view the Walter Mitti film 3 times on our flight to SF. The music was mesmerizing!
Was in my ears on our whole trip. When I've got the MBAir back in SF I instantly downloaded the soundtrack from YT, splittted it into it's single songs, renamed the songs ...
And when I tried to upload everything to Apple Music, I've got an error-message!
Songs already purchased! (Did it just after arrival and forgot it due to the jet-lag)

Last edited:

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Every day I use my PMG5, because I decided to turn it into a file server. It's able to provide files to both newer Windows machines, and older Macs, it supports sata built in, and my ethernet is still just 10/100, so it's slower than sata 1 speeds.

Took a chance, stuck a 3tb hdd into the thing, and it's been working great since then.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Took a chance, stuck a 3tb hdd into the thing, and it's been working great since then.
This is one of the reasons I stick with WD hard drives. Not assuming you have a WD drive, but WD drives still have jumpers. I had a 2TB WD RE drive in my Quad and a 4TB WD RE drive. The 4TB was jumpered to SATA I and it worked. Now, both are in my Mac Pro (the 4TB no longer being jumpered).

I have two 1TB WD REs coming on Monday as well. Still have two bays to fill on the MP. ;)

Oh, yeah. My 500mhz G4 also has two 3TB drives connected. The interesting thing with that was that I had to jumper one of them. They are both WD Greens, but one is a bit older than the other. Guess that's the difference.

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
This is one of the reasons I stick with WD hard drives.
It's actually a Seagate Barracuda, and it worked right out of the box. This wasn't going to be the thing's final home, I had a Windows machine in mind when I bought it, but it all worked so well, and i discovered the options this PPC Mac gave me. I didn't buy my PMG5 to be a file server, but I kind of love it as one.

Reactions: eyoungren

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Yea that’s all that’s to it, what did you play?
I played Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It played really smoothly :)

Here are some screenshots:
Picture 1.png
Picture 2.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's actually a Seagate Barracuda, and it worked right out of the box. This wasn't going to be the thing's final home, I had a Windows machine in mind when I bought it, but it all worked so well, and i discovered the options this PPC Mac gave me. I didn't buy my PMG5 to be a file server, but I kind of love it as one.
Yeah, I was clumsily trying to state that the ability to jumper WD drives and thus being able to use them in PowerPC Macs was one of the reasons I continue to use them. At the same time I was also clumsily trying to NOT imply that your drive was a WD - which it isn't.

Guess I failed on both counts. :)

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Yeah, I was clumsily trying to state that the ability to jumper WD drives and thus being able to use them in PowerPC Macs was one of the reasons I continue to use them. At the same time I was also clumsily trying to NOT imply that your drive was a WD - which it isn't.

Guess I failed on both counts. :)
Well, hey, the important thing is, both WD and Seagate are still selling new hard drives that work with sata 1!

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Which translators are you using? A couple years ago when I was learning Russian I was accessing Google Translate via a small Python program so I wouldn't have to go through its bloated web interface which was hammering my PowerBook. I don't know how well Google Translate works with Spanish, but it sucked for Russian so I gave up.

Прекрасно ! Ти розмовляєш Російською мовою ?
[automerge]1588486909[/automerge]
I was busy on my Pismo G4 today, taking classila apart and trying to add new security protocols and updates, so OS 9 can be usable.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
In order to try OpenBSD on PPC I struggled the whole day, to get OpenBSD /w XFCE running in a VM.
No success yet. I'm just too stupid.

Reason: to find an alternative way to run Cisco IPsec / RemoteDesktop on an OpenBSD/PPC system.
Don't know, if there's software for this purpose at all ...

AC910

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2016
Watched some youtube, browsed reddit and macrumors, administered my nas over ssh, and did a bit of programming. Surprisingly capable machines considering their age and hardware. But of course a lot of people put a lot of time into to making this possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.