Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
For whatever it's worth, my IntelliStation gets a GB 2 score of 432 in Debian 10.3 w/ i3, and 440 in Win XP + SP4. Either one about equivalent to a 733 Digital Audio (729), or a DP 450 Gigabit (449). Going over the full tests, the 1 GB PC-100 memory seems to be the main bottleneck of this machine, achieving scores much lower than the processors.
Memory bandwidth is one area I'd expect the G4 machine to destroy the Pentium III.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Today i installed Fienix Soar on a mac mini g4...

fienix-macmini.png

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Easy solution to that problem. Install an operating system that they're both capable of running (GNU/Linux) and do some benchmarking.

There was a video online of someone doing this - think it was a Pentium M Thinkpad versus a Dual G5 both on Debian.
The results were shocking - the Thinkpad absolutely trashed the G5 in benchmarks, clearly shows the difference in optimisations.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Easy solution to that problem. Install an operating system that they're both capable of running (GNU/Linux) and do some benchmarking. Off of the top of my head, I'd be willing to wager that, generally speaking, a 1.4 GHz Tualatin is a tad bit faster than a G4 @ the same clockspeed, but not by much.
That's a good idea :D
For whatever it's worth, my IntelliStation gets a GB 2 score of 432 in Debian 10.3 w/ i3, and 440 in Win XP + SP4. Either one about equivalent to a 733 Digital Audio (429), or a DP 450 Gigabit (449). Going over the full tests, the 1 GB PC-100 memory seems to be the main bottleneck of this machine, the memory and stream tests achieving scores several hundred points lower than the processors' integer and floating point tests.
Interesting findings! Thanks for the info! :D

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
His premade img is made for G5 and AmigaOne machines yes, but the userland is 32-bit. I made a how to here.

Cool! I always wanted to install Fienix on my Powerbook G4. Was thinking about MorphOS, but I think this is more practical for my needs. Would this work with a Powerbook G4 DSLD 1.67Ghz?

Reactions: netsrot39

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
Currently cloning my iBook G3’s HDD to an external SSD I recently bought. I initially bought the external drive just as extra removable storage, but then I thought it might be a good idea to clone the iBook’s drive to it, so the iBook can boot from it in case its HDD dies. I’m using Carbon Copy Cloner 3.4.7 and the drive is connected via FW. It’s been about an hour as I type this and I’m about three quarters of the way done. Not bad, imo.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Hello everyone.. have a weird issue here - So, I have a PB G4 Pismo(G3) and I installed Office V.x for the Mac - I must add this version of Office which predates 2004 runs really nice and fast on my machine. EXCEPT for one thing - Entourage is not working and I created a gmail account for all my PPC Macs with NO SECURITY at all. I am using Gmail and followed all the steps to get IMAP to work. Sadly, it’s not working - am I missing something here ?

Gmail stated that I am to set IMAP enabled with no security at all. Settings:

Incoming server - imap.gmail.com with SSL and port 995
Outgoing - smtp.gmail.com port 587 SSL enabled, but still it’s not working.. am I to believe no email client will work with gmail other than Tiger mail ? Yes, Tiger mail works just fine. Even Classila on OS 9 works. Outlook express 5 does not.

What am I doing wrong ??? Shouldn’t entourage work ?

Thanks ! Oh, my new email address for all PPC responses is- powerbookguy343

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Currently cloning my iBook G3’s HDD to an external SSD I recently bought. I initially bought the external drive just as extra removable storage, but then I thought it might be a good idea to clone the iBook’s drive to it, so the iBook can boot from it in case its HDD dies. I’m using Carbon Copy Cloner 3.4.7 and the drive is connected via FW. It’s been about an hour as I type this and I’m about three quarters of the way done. Not bad, imo.

I assume this will run on a G4 Pismo(was G3) under tiger ?

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Let's see.. today I edited an AppleWorks database I have on my Power Mac of my prospective computer collection (one can dream, right? ;)). Primarily added notes regarding the ThinkPad entries on the list. So far I own 7 out of the 70+ entries on the list, which covers Apple computers, Commodore computers, and ThinkPads. Might expand to other makes/series as well if I get a space afternoon to dream of that sort of thing.

On a slightly poigniant note, you could say that PPC Macs have partially been the genesis of this wonderous life I find myself in. <3

Anyway, that's what I did today :p
[automerge]1588725891[/automerge]
I assume this will run on a G4 Pismo(was G3) under tiger ?
CCC? Yep! I use it to do my weekly backups of my systems :p

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hello everyone.. have a weird issue here - So, I have a PB G4 Pismo(G3) and I installed Office V.x for the Mac - I must add this version of Office which predates 2004 runs really nice and fast on my machine. EXCEPT for one thing - Entourage is not working and I created a gmail account for all my PPC Macs with NO SECURITY at all. I am using Gmail and followed all the steps to get IMAP to work. Sadly, it’s not working - am I missing something here ?

Gmail stated that I am to set IMAP enabled with no security at all. Settings:

Incoming server - imap.gmail.com with SSL and port 995
Outgoing - smtp.gmail.com port 587 SSL enabled, but still it’s not working.. am I to believe no email client will work with gmail other than Tiger mail ? Yes, Tiger mail works just fine. Even Classila on OS 9 works. Outlook express 5 does not.

What am I doing wrong ??? Shouldn’t entourage work ?

Thanks ! Oh, my new email address for all PPC responses is- powerbookguy343
If you don't have 2FA on and it doesn't work, then it's probably down to certificates. You will know 2FA is off if you don't need a device to access your gmail account.

In any case, my ISP email is not working on Entourage 2008 so this isn't exclusive to Entourage X.

You could try Thunderbird.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
If you don't have 2FA on and it doesn't work, then it's probably down to certificates. You will know 2FA is off if you don't need a device to access your gmail account.

In any case, my ISP email is not working on Entourage 2008 so this isn't exclusive to Entourage X.

You could try Thunderbird.

Wow, they even deprecate email clients ? Google is not fair with this at all and I don't have any security or 2fa at all. i LIKE entourage and other email clients. Tiger's email still works. What settings for imap do you use ? There has to be a way around it.
[automerge]1588729374[/automerge]
Time to switch email ISPS.. do you know of any that will work ? What about hotmail ? It really doesn't matter as my two main email accounts with gmail are for my intel machines.. but, powerbookguy343 is only for PPC work. I can't believe they deprecate email clients.. really wonderful :(

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow, they even deprecate email clients ? Google is not fair with this at all and I don't have any security or 2fa at all. i LIKE entourage and other email clients. Tiger's email still works. What settings for imap do you use ? There has to be a way around it.
[automerge]1588729374[/automerge]
Time to switch email ISPS.. do you know of any that will work ? What about hotmail ? It really doesn't matter as my two main email accounts with gmail are for my intel machines.. but, powerbookguy343 is only for PPC work. I can't believe they deprecate email clients.. really wonderful :(
I'm not sure about Google. I have three accounts, one being my work account, but I've never really used gmail as a primary account. In the case of my ISP, I suspect it's because Cox is preventing connections from certain apps. However, it works just fine in Outlook. That's what I have on my Mac Pro and my MBP. Don't really use email on my PowerPC Macs anymore except in certain cases. I've been using Thunderbird when I do because of this issue.

Last time I checked, my yahoo account was still working.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I'm not sure about Google. I have three accounts, one being my work account, but I've never really used gmail as a primary account. In the case of my ISP, I suspect it's because Cox is preventing connections from certain apps. However, it works just fine in Outlook. That's what I have on my Mac Pro and my MBP. Don't really use email on my PowerPC Macs anymore except in certain cases. I've been using Thunderbird when I do because of this issue.

Last time I checked, my yahoo account was still working.

So, entourage 2001,2004(office for the mac), office for the mac 2008, and outlook for office 2011(intel) are all out ? I can't believe that they would do that. How come Tiger's apple mail still works then ? Scratching my head on that one. What are the parameters for yahoo if I want to set up an unsecured account for my PB G4 or any PowerPC macs I have ? Maybe, Yahoo is nicer to those with older email clients. Even classila's email client works great. Outlook express - doesn't work at all - just like the sounds it makes which brings memories to me as I used that back in 2000-2002.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Your gmail settings aren't correct. These are taken right from google's support page. https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en
imap.gmail.com uses port 993 (ssl)
smtp.gmail.com uses port 465 (ssl)
Confirmed working in spidermail (linux) and gnumail (osx 10.5). You'll have to test other clients.

Cheers

Ok, under entourage here are my settings:

And this is the error I am getting - really frustrated right now !

Error code - a stinking -2070
[automerge]1588732982[/automerge]
Its google's fault obviously.. I have ZERO, i mean ZERO security on this account. But what is strange is TIGER's apple mail works fine :(

Attachments

• A48032A1-4AC3-4B47-B446-5D4FB784DC50.jpeg
    A48032A1-4AC3-4B47-B446-5D4FB784DC50.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 135
  • EE51290B-B232-49A0-AE97-EEC9D51960DD.jpeg
    EE51290B-B232-49A0-AE97-EEC9D51960DD.jpeg
    551.5 KB · Views: 106
  • CBDE1480-853C-4968-A0B5-5260A889E87C.jpeg
    CBDE1480-853C-4968-A0B5-5260A889E87C.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 110

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Probably outdated certs related. Try something newer like 104bird or gnumail.

Cheers

How can I tell its outdated certs and can they be rewritten ? Ok, I can try thunderbird. Also, does the Fienix web browser work under 10.4.11 ?

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Probably outdated certs related. Try something newer like 104bird or gnumail.

Cheers

Hi, I found this on Microsoft's website - is this something that can fix the issue ?

I know it says Entourage 2008, but I am sure it will work with Entourage X.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Ok, some good news. While TenFourBird did not recognize my gmail account.. Thunderbird did. So thats tiger mail and thunderbird, however I use a database for my contacts.. I am hoping thunderbird is just as easy as entourage.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.