Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Right, the Macbook 2,1 is now running Snow Leopard. On an SSD and with 3GB RAM, it screams. What might it be like on a Mac Mini 3,1 with 8GB RAM and a MAcbook Pro 8,2, also with 8GB?
@B S Magnet and I run Snow Leopard on a MacBookPro8,1 with ≥8 GB and an SSD. It screams to hell and back. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
@B S Magnet and I run Snow Leopard on a MacBookPro8,1 with ≥8 GB and an SSD. It screams to hell and back. ;)
According to the charts on Everymac, those are hyper-threaded dual-core machines, so might I expect a bit of a boost with a hyper-threaded quad-core? Sounds like a tempting prospect. The MBP8,2 would have beebn a starlingly fast machine when new and running SL, that's for sure. The MB2,1 is easily the most snappy of all my Macs, and by some distance. I think SL is going onto the 8,2!

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Only one snag so far and that's the lack of connection to the App Store. Did get a separate update from the Apple site, but no go. Presume this is simply not compatible any more?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
According to the charts on Everymac, those are hyper-threaded dual-core machines, so might I expect a bit of a boost with a hyper-threaded quad-core?
...for tasks that use more than two cores/four threads, yes.

Sounds like a tempting prospect. The MBP8,2 would have beebn a starlingly fast machine when new and running SL, that's for sure.
You're aware that the AMD GPUs in the 8,2 are known to drop like flies and there's no way to fix them, right? :)

I think SL is going onto the 8,2!
If you get one, pay attention to also getting the correct grey recovery discs that have 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 on them, or you'll have to clone a fully updated 10.6.8 install from another machine. "Normal" 10.6.6 or earlier will crash on a Sandy Bridge CPU.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
App store is dead on 10.6. You can however find a lot of software on macintosh garden or these links here and here.

Don't forget to install @Wowfunhappy 's https proxy to fix expired certificates and other old SSL issues.

Cheers
I'll check it out, thanks!
...for tasks that use more than two cores/four threads, yes.

You're aware that the AMD GPUs in the 8,2 are known to drop like flies and there's no way to fix them, right? :)

If you get one, pay attention to also getting the correct grey recovery discs that have 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 on them, or you'll have to clone a fully updated 10.6.8 install from another machine. "Normal" 10.6.6 or earlier will crash on a Sandy Bridge CPU.
Ah, so just using the iso I downloaded isn't likely to work? Already have the 8,2, it's running 14.4.1 at the moment.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Nostalgia swept over me and I felt like revisiting Prince of Persia and did so on my MBP 2011 w/ High Sierra courtesy of the SDL freeware remake that's available here.

CDuP8Cy.png

3dvxEK4.png

Way back when I was an Amiga user, I played this for a while but didn't make much progress and soon gave up...

SB5qXx2.png

...as you can see, I've not improved one bit! :oops:

j4Qj5Qj.png

Anyhow, it's "based on a disassembly of the DOS version" and plays identically to what I remember with the Amiga version. If you enjoyed it in the past then it's definitely worth checking out on your Intel Macs. :)

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
Ran the most recent Ubuntu update on my 08 5,1 and it made the desktop buggy, the windows dark, laggy and transparent & it turned my icons black.
View attachment 2364523
So I ran sudo auto remove via terminal to get a functional desktop back and am happy to report post update rollback, all is functioning as it should but I forgot to look at what update it was to post a bug report. Some of the behavior reminded me of driver issues while others, perhaps more along the line of theme incompatibility.

Now I’m scared to update this laptop LOL. :D
Have you tried Fedora? It's my distro of choice (and daily driver) so I'm curious how it works for you.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Do you know that you can complete level 1 without going for sword? It appears automatically in level 2

Ah but you see, I never made it beyond level 1. Hence this sentence:

Way back when I was an Amiga user, I played this for a while but didn't make much progress and soon gave up...

(at least in DOS version) :).

Then it should be the same in this version because...

...it's "based on a disassembly of the DOS version"

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Ah, so just using the iso I downloaded isn't likely to work?
Unless it’s at least the special 10.6.6 that came with these machines: no. But you can clone 10.6.8 from the MacBook.

Nostalgia swept over me and I felt like revisiting Prince of Persia and did so on my MBP 2011 w/ High Sierra courtesy of the SDL freeware remake that's available here.
I’m a huge PoP fan so if you need help, shout! :)

• Love

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
The one defective thing on this MBP was the camera. On a whime, I fired up my "new" Facetime, and there I was! Frame rate was bad, but it works. Odd.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Anyhow, it's "based on a disassembly of the DOS version" and plays identically to what I remember with the Amiga version. If you enjoyed it in the past then it's definitely worth checking out on your Intel Macs. :)
The Amiga version is mostly identical to the DOS one. The controls work just as well.

Anyhow, if you enjoy(ed) PoP 1 and don't mind playing another port that is very similar to the original check out the NEC PC-98/Fujitsu FM-Towns/Sega Mega-CD/Sharp X68000 — it adds some elements that fit the original game well.

The SNES version is in a class of its own: 20 levels, improved graphics and music, additional environments and traps, two princesses — topped off with controls that work perfectly.

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
The Amiga version is mostly identical to the DOS one. The controls work just as well.

Anyhow, if you enjoy(ed) PoP 1 and don't mind playing another port that is very similar to the original check out the NEC PC-98/Fujitsu FM-Towns/Sega Mega-CD/Sharp X68000 — it adds some elements that fit the original game well.

I have a Sega Mega Drive. Sans CD-ROM drive but there is a superior alternative that covers a lot of bases. If I have a real machine, I'd rather play it on that than on an emulator. This is something I'll have to look into. :)

The SNES version is in a class of its own: 20 levels, improved graphics and music, additional environments and traps, two princesses — topped off with controls that work perfectly.

Again, I also have a SNES - still working I believe. There's also a case here for investing in a flash cart for similar reasons as with the MD.

Reactions: Amethyst1

signer-ink-beast

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2024
My 2010 unibody macbook came in handy for troubleshooting a problem I ran into on my surface book 2 in Linux. I have a general-purpose filesystem on one of my external drives that's encrypted with veracrypt. The 6.7 and 6.8 kernels had a nasty bug related to writing to exfat filesystems. Issue didn't show up in Linux on the macbook that uses kernel version 5.15. So I downgraded the kernel on my SB2 and no longer have any issues with that, thankfully.

I have also been using the MB for watching some DVDs lately. That's a task I struggle with in general, among many daily living tasks, for reasons I won't go into. But it has been fun for that so far.

Attached is a picture of The Curious Adventures of Mr. Wonderbird playing on the computer, with one of my cats lying on the computer in the corner where the escape key is. I was compiling Darling in the background, which took a few hours on this computer. My seal plush, Chortle, kept watch of us.

Attachments

• 20240331_201216_HDR.jpg
    20240331_201216_HDR.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 35

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Taking three out of four machines back to their max supported MacOS. Will leave the Macbook 2,1 on Snow Leopard because it's an absolute speed demon. My tinkering will now revolve around getting the most out of each machine and making them safe and usable in basic terms. No more patching!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.