Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave1423

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2020
Played through Super Mario Bros 2
Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 1.39.34 PM.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Due to my 'rule' of always replace with equal or more capacity, just got this…

Right now my MacPro has a 1TB Zheino SSD, so this doubles the capacity of the boot drive (which honors my rule). I am now equal to my high point (with boot drives) of 2TB for spinning drives with an SSD so I feel pretty good about that. SP is a decent brand. I was using a 512GB SP for a while with the MacPro and that drive has now been in my Late '09 Mac Mini and does fine. This SSD seems to indicate faster speeds. With Prime, it'll be here tomorrow.

Going to pull the 3TB spinner from Bay 2 and put that on the network (I believe my G4 'NAS" has another port for another drive on the PCI SATA card). The previous 1TB SSD will go into Bay 2 (on the MacPro). Eventually all the spinners will be replaced with SSDs.

Needs a frame though. I use Newertech. This time I got a box with it!

MODS, I AM NOT SELLING ANYTHING! THESE LINKS ARE TO SHOW STUFF I BOUGHT!

Reactions: DCBassman

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Been working on more unibody 13" MacBook Pros at my workplace...
7282B2A5-E5C9-401A-B2F8-73288C3946C5_1_201_a.jpeg

When I initially test them, before upgrading the RAM on the 2012 models to 8 GB and before I put a hard drive inside, I have to test the keyboard using the keyboard-tester-dot-com page.
F0B36DFC-E489-49FD-AAD9-44A196B88DCD_1_201_a.jpeg

On a MacOS installer older than Big Sur, I have to go into the terminal and change the date and time to the current one, so Safari will work.

12E23186-0E1F-4F8C-817D-F0E99CA07DE3_1_201_a.jpeg

The Keyboard Tester at work.

Yeah, now that Apple's officially considered the 2012 unibody 13" model obsolete, we've been getting a lot of them. At least they keep me busy before my time off next week to recharge!

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
By the way, there were two apps on Apple diagnostic CDs for keyboard and trackpad testing.
I pulled those off of CDs some time ago. Just tested them briefly in Yosemite on MBP 2011 and they still work .

kbrd.png

tkpd.png

Last edited:
Reactions: trusso

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Idly thinking about the awful trackpad on the MBP 8,2 and decided to look at iFixit to see how difficult it would be to replace. Lo and behold, there's an action adjustment screw on it (torx, wrongly labelled tri-lobe by Ifixit).
Out with the battery, tweak and test, reassemble, and one of the final niggles with this machine is fixed. Excellent.
Now just need to fix that other RAM slot...
:D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Was finally able to purchase version 5 of Little Snitch. It's the most important apps I need to have before I update this MacPro to Sonoma (via OCLP).

Once my new SSD and the mount frame for it get here I can clone the drive and then get setup for updating.

This will be the last major leap I make with this Mac before moving on to something else. Should hold me for staying compatible for several years.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Lulu is also pretty good at alerting you about stuff phoning home to their creator - and it's free too. :)
Thanks for that. I'm not using Little Snitch on the work M2 so I will try it on that on Monday and see how it compares. I just went with Little Snitch because I've been using it for years now.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Thanks for that. I'm not using Little Snitch on the work M2 so I will try it on that on Monday and see how it compares. I just went with Little Snitch because I've been using it for years now.

You're welcome. For many years Little Snitch was the only Mac firewall program that I knew of - till some random web searching brought me to Lulu. :)

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Weird! New SSD arrived. My MP, which is Mojave native, fails to format the SSD as APFS. Or at least that's what it tells me! My work M2 Mac running Sonoma sees it after formatting. My L:09 Mac Mini running Mojave sees it. My 2008 MBP running Cataline sees it, but my MacPro? Nah, no dice!!!!

But, when I partition and format the SSD as MacOS Journaled, voila! Works fine! So, I checked the current SSD and it's NOT APFS as I expected. It's still MacOS journaled. So, it appears this is a long-standing problem with this Mac.

Just so bizzare.

I'm thinking it probably has to do with that time I had a Prohibited Sign on boot and then reinstalled the OS using the Mojave Patcher instead of the actual Mojave installer (all I had at the time). Looks like I had this problem before which why the 1TB SSD is still MacOS Journaled.

Oh well. Not worth trying to fix.

2024-04-13 15.35.48.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Try installing fresh Mojave to the drive. The installer should force convert the drive to AFPS. If even that doesn't do it then there is some darker magic at work! ;)
I did some minor Googling last night and I believe that at Big Sur and above Apple installers are expecting APFFS. Even if I can get by with an OCLP installer I'm going to convert these before hand. I have to pull the drive when the new drive frame gets here so I'm just going to attach the drive to my 2008 MBP, clone the old drive to the new drive, then convert it. Put the new drive in the MP, boot from the OCLP USB stick and try that.

My MP is backed up every night, so even if this fails at any point, I can revert. All I'm out is my time.

Reactions: DCBassman

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What is that dubious SSD?
Silicon Power. I have a 500GB SSD by this brand in my L:09 Mac Mini. It used to be the boot drive for my MacPro. I've never had a problem with them.

Only this time I got it from Amazon and not eBay. Link is above in another post and below…

MODS, JUST SHOWING WHAT I BOUGHT. NOT SELLING ANYTHING!

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
I did some minor Googling last night and I believe that at Big Sur and above Apple installers are expecting APFFS.
Like I implied, Mojave installer will convert it automatically and you cannot even bypass the conversion. I think in High Sierra installer you could choose not to convert but not in Mojave. So, if the disk utility will not format it to APFS the installer will - or there is something weird going on with the drive, OS or drive-OS compatibility.

Of course you can connect (USB or internally) it to another machine and try formatting there too.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Like I implied, Mojave installer will convert it automatically and you cannot even bypass the conversion. I think in High Sierra installer you could choose not to convert but not in Mojave. So, if the disk utility will not format it to APFS the installer will - or there is something weird going on with the drive, OS or drive-OS compatibility.

Of course you can connect (USB or internally) it to another machine and try formatting there too.
I'd rather not reinstall Mojave if I can avoid it, just because I'm going to be installing Sonoma right afterwards. But I may do that. My bootrom seems current (144.0.0.0.0) which I understand is the version for OS X 10.4.6 which I have installed.

Looks like I'm going to need to set some time aside for all this.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Silicon Power. I have a 500GB SSD by this brand in my L:09 Mac Mini. It used to be the boot drive for my MacPro. I've never had a problem with them.
But now you have one. Try another drive.
Mojave formats a good SDD with HFS+ or APFS without any problems.

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
As far as I know, Silicon Power Ace A58 is a low cost offering based on Phison PS3111-S11 controller.
I've seen tests of 256GB version of the same drive where, for example, Aida64 benchmarking utility on Win was not even able to recognize it.
YMMV.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.