Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Koss Portapro. Before those I used Sennheiser PX100, but I had some wiredamage on 'em, so I replaced them with the Koss.

zurc

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
I had my eyes on the Bose QC3 but it was way too expensive... so I settled for Bose Triport OE... And I never regret settling for this...

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
sennheiser cx300 although they are VERY tough (have tugged on the cord atleast 20 times and with enough force to to rip the normal earbuds if they had taken the tug) still I thought they weren't ideal for my day to day use as they were getting abused a lot . (I am a uni student) so bought these rugged sennheiser hd212pros' .. really nice ... compat .. stylish .. but the cord is a bit longer than I had wanted.. still no complaints.

use cx300's when I am at my desk or in bed.

CaptainZap

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
I gots a pair of white Sennheiser PX100 headphones, they rock!

I agree with PowerFullMac,
The Senn PX100's are a fantastic headphone for the price. I got mine for $42. Since then I have retired mt Grado 60's.

The Sennheiser PX100's are amazing. Perfect sound for the price and they fit and feel great. After using them for a month, it was painful to go back to the regular iPod's ear buds. And even though they aren't as portable, they come with a carrying case and when folded up, they are about the size of a glasses case.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I use the Bose AE headphones and Ultimate Ears UE-10. Sometimes the Shure E3c and the Sennheiser HD25.

I'm always tempted to re-buy the Stax SR-001MkII electrostatic earphones, but I know they're not practical and I probably won't use them very much (the reason I got rid of them in the first place). I really liked how they sounded though

tobenning

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Bose in-ear. They sound great but the the earpieces tend to detach easily, I'm almost tempted to glue them onto the speakers :rolleyes:

Bose shipped out new rubber earpieces which don't come off. I think if you registered them, Bose sends them out automatically. I got my Stability Enhancement Accessories today which gives me a lanyard and clothes clip to keep them in place when I temporarily remove them from my ears.

dellavoce

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
logitech bluetooth headphones. great sound quality, wireless, lightweight, I don't even notice they're there.

theoldhenk

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Cary, NC
Shure SE530's under $250

The Shure SE530's are fantastic Touch ear canal phones (ech). The pioneering triple drivers (in an ech!!) really deliver near reference quality audio, especially when playing AAC Lossless files. Lower bit-rate recordings sound clear, but are compromised by the triple drivers (different instrument tracks often suddenly play from a single driver, or earpiece). Maybe the recordings are monaural, but I just don't know enough about digital music.

Obviously the passive sound isolation created by any two of the 16 or so different foam, rubber, and triple flange sealants is excellent, but don't expect to hear your name called. These phones redefine immersion. If you're really waylaid by the isolation, opt for the 530PTH's which, though I've not tried them, offer push-to-hear technology. Apparently, the listener pushes a button that turns on an external microphone when hearing external voices, or noises is critical. I've never read about the mic compromising the sound quality, but it seems possible.

Unfortunately my first pair "broke", or I did something unknowingly detrimental to them, and so I was worried about their durability. While not as durable as crappy phones, my second pair has worked excellent.

I bought mine from Headroom, at a significant markdown (they were around $250 in September), yet still received the 30 day exchange (or refund, had I chosen) service. They even sent my second pair the same day I called about the problem, and included a pre-paid Fed-Ex box for the return. Given their low prices, unbelievable web forum, telephone sales and tech support, and their handbuilt headphone amps, DAC's (to fit most budgets), and recabling services I'd buy no where else.

Meanwhile, the SE530's, when last I checked, were $500 at the Apple Store, with a three-week shipping delay. I doubt they offer such considerate return policies either.

Finally, it's worth alerting anyone considering higher-end phones, to check the headphone's resistance, for anything over 65 ohms impedance will not adequately run off portable player power. The Shure's, and most other ech's are low resistance, but the Apple Store used to sell, and may still sell the AKG 701's, a circumaural reference can that while near the 65 ohm "cutoff", sounds little better than the Apple in-ear buds when powered by a flash drive media player. They were offered at full price as well. Sadly, the site comments derogated these amazing cans, which need a headphone amp, and 200-300 hours of "warming up" prior to optimal sound delivery. I have a pair connected via mini toslink to a DAC/amp combo, and they are as plush, and as captivating as $8K pre-amp/amp/decoder/reference CD player/speaker systems.

Finally, the Shure530's look beautiful, and luxurious, as they have a lustrous, carbon-fiber type earpiece, that matches the Touch, and needs no adaptor, as most iPhone headphones require.

However, the 210's are probably around $100, so unless your music is Lossless encoded, and you need triple drivers, you can get quality audio for less than expected.

Only after upgrading will you hear every note, even in the high frequencies. Nor does hip-hop require a compromised sound, at distorting volumes, just to hear the low frequencies. Therefore, it is probably a reasonable inference that high-end phones are worn at lower volumes, preventing hearing loss.

theoldhenk

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Cary, NC
high-end cans revisited

I use the Bose AE headphones and Ultimate Ears UE-10. Sometimes the Shure E3c and the Sennheiser HD25.

I'm always tempted to re-buy the Stax SR-001MkII electrostatic earphones, but I know they're not practical and I probably won't use them very much (the reason I got rid of them in the first place). I really liked how they sounded though

Good luck finding the Stax, even on ebay. Though i did see a pair of AKG 1000's auction for nearly a grand with over 30 bids. I can't even get the "ear speakers" properly "toed" (to steal an automobile term), so dynamic coils are doing the job nicely.

And the Ultimate ears flagship 10's are a treat, though moldings must taken of your ear by an audiologist prior to ponying up $900+.

Anyone tried the Grado 1000's. I've heard that they are the perfect cans, but preferably at low volume, and they have flattest range of any cans I've seen.

theoldhenk

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Cary, NC
Laments from an ex-Bose junkie

I had my eyes on the Bose QC3 but it was way too expensive... so I settled for Bose Triport OE... And I never regret settling for this...

Given their high price, less than sturdy build, and uninspired design, I'm no longer the Bose junkie of yore. Though B & O still designs with Jon Ive-like fluidity, their prices are far above their quality.

And as a side note, anyone looking into wireless 5.1 headphones should be skeptical, and insist on a return policy. The AKG Orpheus, at $1000+, and accompanied by a formidable base station, reproduce 5.1 decently, if head movement is minimized, and the base is in range. I returned mine after realizing the multitude of speakers, across such a small soundstage, sound forced. The Sennheiser 5.1 monstrosity, at an even higher price points, deserves an A for effort, and attempted innovation, I've heard, but isn't even easily found in the states.

Finally, does anyone know why DD 5.1 are always wireless? There must be a reason, but none spring to mind.

theoldhenk

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Cary, NC
You need ech phones

I used a Bose "Around-Ear" headphone. The headphones are light and the sound is good enough for me. I use around the ears headphones because I can never get earbuds to fit correctly and comfortably in my ears (one would always fall out).

:D

Try ear canal headphones and they won't slip, even while snowboarding, I'd venture. Of course, a good seal is imperative for good fit, and good sound. Shure makes a pair for every budget. Just clean your ear canals frequently, work at making the seal early, and fitting ech's are just like riding a bike. Other's may disagree, so ask around, but I find them comfortable, immersive, and mine have never "overheated".

Before taking the plunge, i couldn't walk ten feet without the packaged ear buds tumbling. The Apple "in ear" bud is an overpriced, pseudo-ech, with arguably lower sound quality than the originals, and stayed fared no better in my ears.

All that said, nice upgrades can be had for as little as $30-$40, and given the cost-to-performance gains, the marginal rate of return on each of those bills is high indeed. Hope this helps someone.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Good luck finding the Stax, even on ebay. Though i did see a pair of AKG 1000's auction for nearly a grand with over 30 bids. I can't even get the "ear speakers" properly "toed" (to steal an automobile term), so dynamic coils are doing the job nicely.

And the Ultimate ears flagship 10's are a treat, though moldings must taken of your ear by an audiologist prior to ponying up $900+.

Anyone tried the Grado 1000's. I've heard that they are the perfect cans, but preferably at low volume, and they have flattest range of any cans I've seen.

The SR-001MkII's are ~$300 and you can buy them new in most places.

I actually ponied up closer to $1500 for the UE10's due to the selling price here. Custom moulds are the only way I can tolerate in-ears, and I value the isolation they provide.

I have had the GS1000's. I've thought every Grado I've had from the SR80 upwards (The SR60 is worth it) to be grossly overhyped by the audiophile community, half of whom I'd say has some sort of hearing defect. They're badly engineered, aren't actually that accurate and rely solely on their euphonic, dynamic nature (which is a side-effect of the bad engineering) to involve the listener.

aman29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
The Shure SE530's are fantastic Touch ear canal phones (ech). The pioneering triple drivers (in an ech!!) really deliver near reference quality audio, especially when playing AAC Lossless files. Lower bit-rate recordings sound clear, but are compromised by the triple drivers (different instrument tracks often suddenly play from a single driver, or earpiece). Maybe the recordings are monaural, but I just don't know enough about digital music.

Obviously the passive sound isolation created by any two of the 16 or so different foam, rubber, and triple flange sealants is excellent, but don't expect to hear your name called. These phones redefine immersion. If you're really waylaid by the isolation, opt for the 530PTH's which, though I've not tried them, offer push-to-hear technology. Apparently, the listener pushes a button that turns on an external microphone when hearing external voices, or noises is critical. I've never read about the mic compromising the sound quality, but it seems possible.

Unfortunately my first pair "broke", or I did something unknowingly detrimental to them, and so I was worried about their durability. While not as durable as crappy phones, my second pair has worked excellent.

I bought mine from Headroom, at a significant markdown (they were around $250 in September), yet still received the 30 day exchange (or refund, had I chosen) service. They even sent my second pair the same day I called about the problem, and included a pre-paid Fed-Ex box for the return. Given their low prices, unbelievable web forum, telephone sales and tech support, and their handbuilt headphone amps, DAC's (to fit most budgets), and recabling services I'd buy no where else.

Meanwhile, the SE530's, when last I checked, were $500 at the Apple Store, with a three-week shipping delay. I doubt they offer such considerate return policies either.

Finally, it's worth alerting anyone considering higher-end phones, to check the headphone's resistance, for anything over 65 ohms impedance will not adequately run off portable player power. The Shure's, and most other ech's are low resistance, but the Apple Store used to sell, and may still sell the AKG 701's, a circumaural reference can that while near the 65 ohm "cutoff", sounds little better than the Apple in-ear buds when powered by a flash drive media player. They were offered at full price as well. Sadly, the site comments derogated these amazing cans, which need a headphone amp, and 200-300 hours of "warming up" prior to optimal sound delivery. I have a pair connected via mini toslink to a DAC/amp combo, and they are as plush, and as captivating as $8K pre-amp/amp/decoder/reference CD player/speaker systems.

Finally, the Shure530's look beautiful, and luxurious, as they have a lustrous, carbon-fiber type earpiece, that matches the Touch, and needs no adaptor, as most iPhone headphones require.

However, the 210's are probably around $100, so unless your music is Lossless encoded, and you need triple drivers, you can get quality audio for less than expected.

Only after upgrading will you hear every note, even in the high frequencies. Nor does hip-hop require a compromised sound, at distorting volumes, just to hear the low frequencies. Therefore, it is probably a reasonable inference that high-end phones are worn at lower volumes, preventing hearing loss.

I was thinking about getting these too but most of my music is encoded at around 192kbs. Should I get these or would I hear the same thing with lower end earbuds with my music?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Triple drivers have little to do with additional quality. What it provides is the more 'headphone sounding' tonal balance that single driver in-ear balanced armature phones lack, which generally speaking have a sound that's biased to the midrange. In comparison, they sound more 'nasal' than dual or triple-driver phones.

So it really depends on how you want to hear your 192K songs. The bitrate is high enough that you won't hear anything too compromised in the music whether you go single or triple-driver.

In terms of quality, the balanced armature phones fall behind good headphones. But in terms of isolation from outside noise you'll find no better. That, the handiness of an earphone form factor and the lack of earcups to boil your head on warm days are the real reasons to go for IEM's in my opinion.

jelloyacket

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I use Shure E4C's. I tried Ultimate Ears UE-5's, but didn't like them as much, although they had a little more bass.

I recommend Headroom, since they let me try out two in-ear headphones at a time, and return the one I didn't like. No restocking fee. Not bad since in-ears can get a little un-hygienic when you return them. Plus, they've got pretty good prices and great customer service.

I prefer in-ears for their sound-isolation qualities. I love them at work, because my three neighbors are all really noisy. I love them when I fly, because the engines and other noises practically disappear. I love them when I play my bass on stage, because my church has Aviom monitoring and the 'phones kill the wayward bass noises. I love that they don't take batteries like active noise-canceling phones. The only things I don't like about them are that I can't very well hear people talking to me, and they let me hear the background hiss in my iPt's crappy headphone amp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.