Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homertherat

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
^ What's sad is that people are willing to spend $500 on the hardware, but some folks would rather pirate an app that costs $1.99 than purchase it - depriving small developers of any revenue stream what so ever for their work.

I'm sure if you ask the same folks who pirate apps if they'd be willing to work for a week without being payed - they would soon protest.

I'm one of those who uses Installous to try new apps, then pays for them if I find that they are worth it. If I'm gonna use that app more than say, 5 times, I'll pay for it. If I open it once, find that it's not even close to what I thought it'd be, I'm glad that I didn't waste a dollar or two or three on it. Yeah, it's just a dollar (or two or three), but that adds up pretty quick.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I'm one of those who uses Installous to try new apps, then pays for them if I find that they are worth it. If I'm gonna use that app more than say, 5 times, I'll pay for it. If I open it once, find that it's not even close to what I thought it'd be, I'm glad that I didn't waste a dollar or two or three on it. Yeah, it's just a dollar (or two or three), but that adds up pretty quick.
As noble as this is, I would hazard a guess that you are in the minority!
What Apple needs to do, of course, is offer some kind of refund period on app purchases. Even an hour is normally enough to know whether an app is good or not.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
What Apple needs to do, of course, is offer some kind of refund period on app purchases. Even an hour is normally enough to know whether an app is good or not.

agreed... ive even purchased some crap off cydia that didn't work before. and of course the author didnt reply, cydia maintainer (jay, which the payments go thru) didnt reply. i've definitely been trialing purchases a lot more since then. it's honestly their own fault.

ctsoxfan

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011

This is a great idea. I wish they would adopt this.

I jailbroke my iPhone 3G, and found a few killer apps (like iBlacklist) that I couldn't live without, so I kept it that way. But after time, the phone got slower and slower, and I started having problems with it. I was hesitant to unjailbreak, because I would lose Installous. I got tired of paying for apps that were terrible, and liked the idea of trying them out first. I did exactly what the other poster said - I went and bought everything that was worthwhile and deleted the rest. With a short refund policy, there would be no reason at all to justify Installous (and for the record, I'm done jailbreaking anyway). Now I just pay and hope for the best.

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
I have installous on my ipad but don't use it. I like to pay for an app and forget about it without having to go through a tedious update process. And the costly apps tend to be games which I don't play on the ipad. I keep installous just in case I want an older version of an app which happens occassionally. I would get rid of it if I knew of a simple way to downgrade apps like you can with android systems.

Last edited:

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
What if legally they can not release a Jailbreak for the iPad2?

In an attempt to get this thread back on track....

Zermelo

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
Is that jailbreak in the hands of the public? no. That jailbreak can't be distributed because it contains apple code. I suggest that you Google it :)

Anyway I haven't seen any real updates on twitter by any of the Dev's really stating what stage they're with the iPad 2 jailbreak (if there is/will be one).

What's everyone doing meanwhile untill IF and when the iPad 2 jailbreak?

Please tell me where in your original post that PUBLIC is mentioned at all. Bottom line. Your initial post and the title of this thread makes it sound as if it is not going to happen or impossible. Obviously, if someone has done it, it is just a matter of time if you have any experience at all with how these things work. The title of this thread is just for idle conversation.

You are also simply wrong about the times it has taken to come out with jailbreaks for different devices. Just because you want it now, doesn't make it a relatively long time. There is a thread (if you bother to search), which tells the different times for jailbreaks to come out and the ipad 2 (as of now) is by far not the longest.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What the title says. What will happen then ? Me personally I'd be very unhappy, jailbreaking is what makes the iPhone/iPad so good. Would you guy's sell your iPad 2's and get an iPad 1 ? CAN the iPad 2 be even jailbroken?

Seems to me that this jailbreak is taking a super long time.

What do you guy's think?

P.S - Most likely if they can't jailbreak the iPad 2, then IF the iPhone 5/iPod Touch 5th Gen come out later this year they won't be jailbreakable because they'll all be using the A5 & pretty much same internals.

You got nothing to worry about, no system is unbreakable as long as it run software.

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Sounds like a number of users here are invested in a jail broken iPad2, but what if it doesn't happen for a year or more? Or what if it only happens for the first firmware released for it? The number of users able to take advantage of it would be very small then, the number of developers willing to develop for it could be very limited....

dacalo

macrumors member
May 10, 2009
I couldn't care less if it doesn't get jailbroken. I am not going to cry myself to sleep, and it's really a no big deal. So what if it doesn't? Are you going to return your's? And what is it about jailbreaking that makes it such a deal breaker? If you pirate games and apps, if you can afford a $500+ hardware, you can easily spend a few bucks here and there.

This is coming from someone who has jailbroken his iphones since 3GS. I am quite happy with the iPad 2. If it DOES get jailbroken, it's just extra gravy on the top.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Sounds like a number of users here are invested in a jail broken iPad2, but what if it doesn't happen for a year or more? Or what if it only happens for the first firmware released for it? The number of users able to take advantage of it would be very small then, the number of developers willing to develop for it could be very limited....
If anyone bought an iPad2 because they wanted to jailbreak it, that would not be too clever because there has never been an ETA on said jailbreak.

I believe he was referring to a publicly released jailbreak. Comex's jailbreak is not that jailbreak, at least at this point.

I am surprised that it has been this long, though.
After what happened to Geohot when he released his PS3 hack using Sony copyrighted code, it would not surprise me if Comex chose never to release that jailbreak. Maybe he will find a way around it. Maybe someone else will find another way. The point is, don't hold your breath waiting for it.

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
I couldn't care less if it doesn't get jailbroken. I am not going to cry myself to sleep, and it's really a no big deal. So what if it doesn't? Are you going to return your's? And what is it about jailbreaking that makes it such a deal breaker? If you pirate games and apps, if you can afford a $500+ hardware, you can easily spend a few bucks here and there.

This is coming from someone who has jailbroken his iphones since 3GS. I am quite happy with the iPad 2. If it DOES get jailbroken, it's just extra gravy on the top.

If one has purchased an iPad2 that is certainly the way to feel about it! Me I'm waiting for a public release, of a working non tether jailbreak... Perhaps I'll get an iPad3 if this game is to long...Apple has given the iPad a shelf life of less than 12 months, a jailbreak that comes out at 10 months for a 4.3 version is of no interest to me...

Me I'm not into games that much, I don't need to pirate them, but the flip side of that also applies, I don't like to be deceived and told I can get unlimited 3G at will, any month I need it without a contract! I don't like having what I can download on my "unlimited" data plan capped....

Shrug... What goes around comes around...

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008

In it's purest form, a jailbreak is just information. For example, Comex could come up to you and tell you exactly how he jailbroke his iPad 2, detailing exactly the steps he used to compile the payload and exploit the hole. Assuming you had the technical knowledge to follow his instructions, you could jailbreak your iPad. Essentially, he just "gave you" the jailbreak, and no copyrighted code was transferred (how could it be? it was just a conversation). The copyright issue only comes into play when they try to make a dead simple user friendly GUI-driven solution. They automation process may require packaging Apple code, which they aren't allowed to do. But the jailbreak itself has no copyrights, since obviously it's an original work.

My point is the whole "copyright issue" can never really kill a jailbreak, because worst case they could just publish the exact steps that they used to jailbreak manually. Sure, then maybe only 10% of normal jailbreakers could do it themselves, but that might actually be a good thing. People would be less likely to mess up their phones with cydia hacks because anyone who actually pulled off the jailbreak has at least a minimum level of technical proficiency.

badcrc32

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2007
For me I need a jail broke iPhone, jail broken iPad is a nice to have definately not as important. Frankly I'd rather have an iPad not jail broken with no backlight bleed or weak wifi...I'd be content getting what I paid for.

Beefnoodle

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
For example, Comex could come up to you and tell you exactly how he jailbroke his iPad 2, detailing exactly the steps he used to compile the payload and exploit the hole. Assuming you had the technical knowledge to follow his instructions, you could jailbreak your iPad. Essentially, he just "gave you" the jailbreak, and no copyrighted code was transferred (how could it be? it was just a conversation).

Off-topic rant warning.

Depends on the interpretation really, I mean, conversation could lead to transfer of knowledge, which, if the subject matter is considered intellectual property, one could argue that even talking about the details of the exploit is considered an infringement; especially when you transfer the know-how.

Homertherat

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011

There's always more holes to exploit. New firmware can open up new holes, there's most likely dozens of holes that haven't been found yet, which might be able to be distributed without using Apple's code.

jacobson00

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
i felt i was been ripped off as well buying apps until i realise they are craps. So i use installous and then after 3 days i do buy them.
i stay away from the .99c apps

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
Continue to use my xoom. I found the Pad 2 to be a yawn... I have a nice white one that will continue to gather dust.

What the title says. What will happen then ? Me personally I'd be very unhappy, jailbreaking is what makes the iPhone/iPad so good. Would you guy's sell your iPad 2's and get an iPad 1 ? CAN the iPad 2 be even jailbroken?

Seems to me that this jailbreak is taking a super long time.

What do you guy's think?

P.S - Most likely if they can't jailbreak the iPad 2, then IF the iPhone 5/iPod Touch 5th Gen come out later this year they won't be jailbreakable because they'll all be using the A5 & pretty much same internals.

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Since when does jailbreaking have any thing to do with downloading illegal apps?

There's a **** ton of customization that can be had from JB's that the vanilla OS doesn't offer.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Depends on the interpretation really, I mean, conversation could lead to transfer of knowledge, which, if the subject matter is considered intellectual property, one could argue that even talking about the details of the exploit is considered an infringement; especially when you transfer the know-how.

No, talking about copyrighted works isn't infringement. If it were, you would be comitting infringement by discussing the plot of the latest House episode with someone else. There's nothing about intellectual property law that forbids transmission of the knowledge contained in a protected work. In fact, the patent office publishes all patent applications it receives, and the applications contain information that allows a knowledgeable person to reproduce the invention. What intellectual property law does is to forbid other people from USING the protected material without the owner's permission. So you can talk about it all you want, but you can't copy the code and use it as part of your work (in this case the jailbreak program).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.