Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joey47

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Jibing is the greatest thing to any iOS device...why would you want to pay for an app and not like it after buying it....refunds are very unlikely.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
I know there are a lot of folks that swear by Jailbreaking, but I have yet to find anything compelling about it.

Most of my support questions end up coming from people who jailbroke their iPad and messed it up.

If turning off the SWIPE to Unlock was the ONLY thing accomplished by JBing...it would be worth it, IMHO. There are DOZENS other. Having all of my iocns on one page and expanding the number in the dock is a HUGE reason to make the pad more of a tool than a PITA!

And, if Apple didn't make it so difficult, then it would be easier to support and fixes would come easier.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

JSalig said:
I have installous on my ipad but don't use it. I like to pay for an app and forget about it without having to go through a tedious update process. And the costly apps tend to be games which I don't play on the ipad. I keep installous just in case I want an older version of an app which happens occassionally. I would get rid of it if I knew of a simple way to downgrade apps like you can with android systems.

Roughly 10% of all iPads are jailbroken and maybe 2% of those install appsync.

So piracy is really not a big dead. I don't know why people get bent out of shape about an insignificant stat.

Roxio pulled in $60,000 per day on Angry Birds during the last holdiday, and you can find pirated apps of those everywhere.

mutchy126

macrumors regular
May 8, 2011
UK
Its Unlikely!

Everything can be hacked somehow, It may be hard, But i think that a Jailbreak will come! :cool:

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
I for one, can't wait for there to be a jailbreak.
As an android whine user, I hate the iOS UI.
I do like the iPad, but miss a lot of things android hs, that iOS won't let you do.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
People wont be able to apply those god-awful winterboard themes they seem to love so much! [/Dr Cox voice]

Bruinista22

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
I'm one of those who uses Installous to try new apps, then pays for them if I find that they are worth it. If I'm gonna use that app more than say, 5 times, I'll pay for it. If I open it once, find that it's not even close to what I thought it'd be, I'm glad that I didn't waste a dollar or two or three on it. Yeah, it's just a dollar (or two or three), but that adds up pretty quick.

Same here. It's not just a buck or two either. Spent $40 on one of the navigation apps when it first came out and it sucked and has since been discontinued. I've blown easily over $100 over poorly developed apps.

Now, I'm not ashamed to say I try stuff out from Installous first. If I keep it, I ALWAYS pay for it because I want updates for it going forward. You would be amazed at how many apps I end up deleting and not keeping though which speaks to how many bad apps there are out there.

If Apple put in some sort of try it for 5 days before you're charged for the purchase, then I wouldn't have anymore need for Installous.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I agree with a previous poster. I went back to an iPad1 when ATT blew out the 3G model for $325. I use it more than my iPad2 due to the jailbreak. I'm holding out for iPad2 JB but I need to sell one of these iPads.

dougny

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2006
I don't understand why people think using Installuous to download cracked apps is any less morally wrong than downloading music without paying for it. Same thing.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
There are many great free and paid apps on Cydia that add a lot more to the iPad functions than cracked apps. A simple tweak like SBSettings frees you from apples multilayered settings menu.

Janet1

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
In an attempt to get this thread back on track....

What if legally they can not release a Jailbreak for the iPad2?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but if you're thinking that Apple can somehow make it illegal to Jailbreak your iPad2?

No, because Apple is a company and companies do not get to pass laws. Governments and courts pass laws, and in the United States, it's been ruled that it is legal to "hack" your own device that you have bought and paid for, for the purpose of customization and backing up software that you own, legally. Using that hack to pirate software however is another issue completely.

However, the United States does not make the laws for other countries, and there are some other countries where laws have been passed prohibiting the "hacking" of your own device, particularly gaming consoles.

Even in those countries though, I believe they're only going after (prosecuting) businesses which either manufacture or sell products for "hacking" purposes, not individual owners.

So it basically depends on the laws of the country where you live.

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but if you're thinking that Apple can somehow make it illegal to Jailbreak your iPad2?

No, because Apple is a company and companies do not get to pass laws. Governments and courts pass laws, and in the United States, it's been ruled that it is legal to "hack" your own device that you have bought and paid for, for the purpose of customization and backing up software that you own, legally. Using that hack to pirate software however is another issue completely.

However, the United States does not make the laws for other countries, and there are some other countries where laws have been passed prohibiting the "hacking" of your own device, particularly gaming consoles.

Even in those countries though, I believe they're only going after (prosecuting) businesses which either manufacture or sell products for "hacking" purposes, not individual owners.

So it basically depends on the laws of the country where you live.

Comex has a jailbreak but can't release it because it contains apple code that he can't legally distribute.

Laws on ip are pretty much global these days.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I don't understand why people think using Installuous to download cracked apps is any less morally wrong than downloading music without paying for it. Same thing.

Stop trying to justify piracy. The thread is about whether or not the iPad2 can be JB w/o using Apple proprietary code.
The answer is most likely yes, which leads us to the next question; how long will it take. There is a limited window in which a JB is useful. For example a JB for 4.3.3 will be far less appealing once iOS5 is released.
For a variety of reason, JB delivery time is growing far longer with each iOS/iDevice release. Apple doesn't need to make JB impossible. They just need to make it annoying enough for people not to bother.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Stop trying to justify piracy.

You might as well ask the law of gravity to be suspended. People who steal apps feel guilty which is why they use any and every opportunity to rationalize their despicable behavior. This thread is a perfect example, they can't resist hijacking threads in a feeble attempt to cleanse their conscience.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
I want a jailbreak, not for cracks, but so i can install apps and do things dictator Jobs feels he should be allowed to prevent me from doing, on this device I own.
And paid $900 for.

Last edited:

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
...and do things dictator Jobs feels he should be allowed to prevent me on doing. On this device I own.

Such extreme emotion and passion would be better spent on learning English instead of expended on an electronic device.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Such extreme emotion and passion would be better spent on learning English instead of expended on an electronic device.

Actually its the crappy keyboard and horrible auto correct on the ipad. I'll go back and type what it should have said.
Of all touch screen devices, I've used, the ipad is the worst.I have more errors than I've ever had, using

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I'll switch from iTether to MiWi, charge my iPhone more often (yay grandfathered unlimited plan!) and get used to not being able to theme.

Other than that, not much.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Of all touch screen devices, I've used, the ipad is the worst.I have more errors than I've ever had, using

I agree. Autocorrect is a hate/love thing. Very frustrating most of the time. I really am not sure why I leave it on except that it works, it works well, but when it doesn't work, it is really frustrating. And the lack of soft arrow keys is enough to make me want to throw the iPad as far as I can!

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Deadlocked said:
What the title says. What will happen then ? Me personally I'd be very unhappy, jailbreaking is what makes the iPhone/iPad so good. Would you guy's sell your iPad 2's and get an iPad 1 ? CAN the iPad 2 be even jailbroken?

Seems to me that this jailbreak is taking a super long time.

What do you guy's think?

P.S - Most likely if they can't jailbreak the iPad 2, then IF the iPhone 5/iPod Touch 5th Gen come out later this year they won't be jailbreakable because they'll all be using the A5 & pretty much same internals.

It makes me happy that I still have my slightly slower and fatter iPad I and that I can do more than the iPad II.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.