Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cat32

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2024
Mini 6 (that I’m keeping), now picking up a 11” M4 512gb. Mostly interested in the faceID and extra storage, as my mini is the 64gb

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I have a 2016 12.9" iPad Pro which I rarely used. Apple replaced it under AppleCare a few years ago due to battery swelling and bending the case and separating the glass. My 2015 MacBook Pro suffered the same battery swelling issue and it bent the case (my Brother's MacBook Pro had same issue). So I guess I am overdue for the battery to take out my iPad Pro again? That is why I am considering an M4 11" iPad Pro.

My biggest concern is how thin it is - looks pretty frail - and I already imagine it not holding up when the battery swells up like all my other Apple devices have after 3 years or so.

MazingerZND

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2022
M2 12.9” 256GB Cellular, upgrading to 13” 1TB Cellular. It’s my main device, I’ve gone Mac-free and I am kinda loving it.

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
M2 12.9in Pro WiFi+Cellular

Nope. Wanted to. Thought about it. But it would cost $2000+ to replace my current iPad set with a M4 model, since would have to replace everything brand new.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I have my trusty 2018 iPad Pro, and I don’t plan on upgrading.

The new iPads look amazing, but my current iPad does exactly what I want it to do.

What about you?
I have a 4th Generation Wi-Fi Only (2020/A14) iPad Air that I don't plan on upgrading. If I get another 10.9/11/11.1-inch iPad, it'll be because Apple finally discontinued the iPad mini and not to directly replace this iPad.

I have a 6th Generation (2021/A15) WiFi+Cellular iPad mini (that has largely replaced said 4th Generation iPad Air). When and if the 7th Generation iPad mini comes out, I'll probably upgrade to it and use this one to try other carriers (I'm on Verizon and I want to see if my other local carriers are now better)

I have a 3rd Generation (2018/A12X) Wi-Fi Only 12.9-inch iPad Pro. I was originally considering replacing it with an Apple Certified Refurbished 5th Generation (2021/M1) Wi-Fi Only 12.9-inch iPad Pro, but I wanted to wait and see about the "13-inch" iPad Air (seeing as the only real allure to the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is that it was the only iPad that had a keyboard attachment that I didn't find cramped), especially since FaceTime calls with a keyboard attachment on 12.9-inch iPad Pros 6th Generation and older is...not fun. While said Air is alluring, its first party keyboard option very much isn't to me. That battery drain is a no-sale for me. I'm also not about to spend $1600 on the new iPad Pro with a keyboard on the gamble that the battery drain issue hasn't been fixed and that the extreme thinness of the new iPad coupled with the new display won't lead to reliability issues. Suffice it to say, the device that looks most appealing as a replacement to my 3rd Generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S9+. Though the screen is technically smaller, the aspect ratio seems better suited to media consumption, which is another thing I value doing on my iPad Pro.

In short, the iPad mini is the only iPad in my arsenal with any kind of clear upgrade path. Either they release a new one and I upgrade to it, or they don't and I wait until it no longer gets updates and then I move to the 10.9/11-inch iPad Air.

Reactions: gusping

elmo0629

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
Dallas, TX
I currently have the 12.9 M1 iPad Pro that I upgraded to from the 12.9 2018 iPad Pro. Display quality is important to me so I wanted the mini led screen and have loved It. Now that the iPad is getting OLED I am trading in my M1 ipad Pro to get the 13 M4 iPad Pro and cannot wait.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Bought my 12.9” 2018 in september 2019. I’m still thinking about upgrading this year or not. If I will I still have to decide if it will be 11” or 13”.

georgivelev

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
2020 13”, I find no compelling reason to upgrade. I still need to have a notebook/mini. Unless they come up with a device that can do both (unlikely), I am not upgrading for the next few years. Even when that time comes, I’d get an Air. The pro became atrociously expensive and not worth the money unless you have really deep pockets (which happens to be the case with a lot of forum members) or you are an actual professional who can get money off of using it - like some designer of sort.

Reactions: gusping

Rradcircless

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
I have a 12.9" M1 iPad Pro, still does what I need it to. All I want is to replace its battery, which is atrocious.

JustAnExpat

Suspended
Nov 27, 2019
I have an iPad 7, I think. I have a paper like screen protector and use it mostly as an e-reader. If I upgrade, it'll be to a larger tablet (like the iPad Air 13") to take notes or edit documents.

Last edited:

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I have a 10.5-inch iPad Pro. I use it to watch YouTube. That’s about it.

I purchased it when it first came out and had all sorts of ideas how I could use it. None of it ever happened as I found it too tedious to use for most tasks. Granted, this was before Stage Manager and external monitor support, but it can’t do either of those anyways.

I think Apple kind of dropped the ball there. As an iPad user who was already frustrated with the user experience, they left my device out of a potential fix. Am I going to go spend money on a new device which may or may not work better for me? Absolutely not.

I might consider a next gen mini… but even then, iPhones are getting larger anyways so their probably isn’t much of a point.

Last edited:

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
iPad Pro 9.7, getting a Pro 11.

I told myself years ago that I’d hold out until they brought OLED to the iPad and moved that stupid portrait-side front camera. Well, this time they did both, but the truth is I would’ve upgraded this year no matter what. The 2GB of RAM in my iPad is a terrible limitation and it’s not getting new software updates. Time to move on.

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
I've currently got a 2018 11" Pro that I got at launch, so it's now 5.5 years old. It's recently started showing its age with occasional slowdowns, some yellowing around the edges of the display, faltering battery life and a strip of the touchscreen no longer working, so it's time to move on to the M4 11", which I hope will last just as long again. My wife is still using my previous iPad Air 2 from 2015 (she only ever uses it for YouTube, Netflix and Plex), so my old Pro will be a nice little screen size improvement for that use.

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
Still rocking a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro but considering an upgrade later this year. Changing jobs and going back to Epic EMR, so going to wait to see whether an 11" vs 13" makes more sense for my workflow (main computer is a 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro)

Larrupin

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
California
We currently have an 2018 iPad Pro and a 2021 M1 iPad Pro both 12.9”. Selling the 2018 and bought the M4 iPad Pro 13”. Weirdly the battery on the 2018 is longer lasting than the 2021 so hoping to hit the 80% soon for AppleCare to replace it. Completely a want purchase definitely not a need. Oh well, life is short, right? 😂

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
10.5” Samsung Tab S6 (OLED) —> 11” M4
12.9” iPad Pro 2018 —> 13” M4
iPad mini 5 (broken glass) —> iPad mini 5 (refurbished)

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
iPad Pro 9.7, getting a Pro 11.

I told myself years ago that I’d hold out until they brought OLED to the iPad and moved that stupid portrait-side front camera. Well, this time they did both, but the truth is I would’ve upgraded this year no matter what. The 2GB of RAM in my iPad is a terrible limitation and it’s not getting new software updates. Time to move on.
Will you sell your 9.7-inch iPad Pro?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have a 5th gen Air and I’m upgrading to the 11” iPP. I was planning an upgrade because I really like the landscape camera on the 10th gens I bought my grandkids, and I decided to go back with a pro because I honestly miss having Face ID. Kinda foolish I know, but oh well. I’ve spent money on dumber things. ;-p

Reactions: Crow_Servo

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Will you sell your 9.7-inch iPad Pro?
Nah, I’ll find some use for it. Maybe carry it to the gym and watch TV on it when I don’t want to take my $1300 iPad for the same thing. Someday I’ll probably l just put it back in its original box and keep it in the garage.

Reactions: FeliApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.