Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M2MaxMan

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
I currently have the 2022 12.9 M2 iPad Pro (6th generation) and compared it to the M4 iPad Pro and found that there are really small feasible changes that would not be worth the upgrade. The very small significance of the thickness and other features really did not justify an upgrade at this point right now. However, an upgrade is not ruled out in the possible future if more changes are presented to be worth as in major performance improvements.

inuseb

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2021
iPad Mini 2 (16gb wi-fi)- bought off a family friend to see if I liked iPads, which I did. Then iPad battery statreted dieing while it was charging. (took it to an Apple Store they couldn’t figure out why it was doing that either)
iPad Pro 3rd gen (64gb wi-fi)- bought to replace the mini and to try out Face ID (which I thought Face ID was stupid, i was wrong, and I like Face ID)
iPad mini 6 (64 gb wi-fi-cellular bought used) I thought I‘d try the smaller size again but I like the screen real estate of the 12.9 better.
iPad Pro 5th Gen M1 12.9 (256 gb wi-fi/cellular bought used)-I like the bigger size

now I just have to figure out what to do with the other three.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
2017 iPad Pro (one with the home button) to iPad Pro 13”. Even got few euros when trading in the old iPad Pro.

Will receive new iPad on Monday. This is going to be a massive upgrade.

Reactions: alecgold

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
2017 iPad Pro (one with the home button) to iPad Pro 13”. Even got few euros when trading in the old iPad Pro.

Will receive new iPad on Monday. This is going to be a massive upgrade.
That will be a bloody big improvement indeed! Congrats on your new iPad!

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I have an M1 iPad Pro 12.9". Looking for a reason to upgrade. I haven't seen it yet.
Okay, good, you're keeping me sane.

I barely make use of my M1 IPP 12.9 now, so I definitely don't need to replace it...yet I keep researching the new models. Sigh. If anything, I need to find more use for my IPP to at least pretend I need more power.

Reactions: arefbe

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
i’ve had iPads since the iPad 2, the best I have ever had is a 10.5 rose gold pro that is 2017 and works perfectly, still great battery life, so it will be with me til it dies. My Mini 5 is useful, I’m becoming quite attached to my 2021 12.9 Mi iPad, it suits my needs perfectly, and I will keep it if I get the 13 M4.

i am hesitant for 2 reasons, the sound is not as good as the M1, with a lack of bass, and diminished spatial quality, which is important to me. Also I want to see if the next OS will deliver any improvements to take advantage of the M4 power. I don’t mean Mac software, that is ridiculous, I love iPads being iPads and Macs being Macs, I have no interest in a weird amalgamation! I just mean, if Apple is going to give iPads all this power and charge us for it, they should develop software that uses it in interesting iPad NOT Mac ways.

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Okay, good, you're keeping me sane.

I barely make use of my M1 IPP 12.9 now, so I definitely don't need to replace it...yet I keep researching the new models. Sigh. If anything, I need to find more use for my IPP to at least pretend I need more power.
I could not agree more!

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I want to say I’m sorry ahead of time how long this messages is.

So up until launch day I had the 2021 12.9 iPad Pro 256gb and I used it every day from when I got it when it launched back May 21, 2021 I have used it everyday when I wake up till I go to sleep up until May 16th 2024 I day after the M4 iPad Pro launched be for the M1 I had the OG 12.9 IPP the 2nd then when it came to the 2018 Redesigned IPP it was harder to get the 12.9 through T-Mobile so I tried the 11” model until the Launch of the 2020 A12Z 12.9 was released then I was able to experience the redesign in bigger formate I think the best part about the 11 inch 2018 was I got to experience that portability but because I always had the bigger iPhone, I never really brought the IPP out of the house unless I was traveling just know that going back to the first IPP in 2015 a few months after getting it, I decided to sell my final MacBook Pro because my use case was completely capable to be done on the IPP 12.9 anyway going back to 2020 IPP I loved it and they released the Magic Keyboard Case moving away from the folio keyboard case with the redesigned IPP can I have used that same keyboard for the last 3 years and 2 months give or take I decided when they released the sixth generation 2022 iPad Pro the minor upgrades we’re not worth the cost, knowing that the rumor was flying that the next released iPad Pro would have OLED screen and a possible redesign with a new keyboard it did suck that there were 18 months that passed or Apple did not release a 2023 IPP I do not regret those 18 months sticking with the 2021 IPP at all The 2024 model feels much lighter much thinner than amazing new screen. I think there’s a part of me that could’ve stick with the 2021 model but the early adopter and techy nerd in me said I had to upgrade there was another major reason which has never happened to me before in the past on any of my previous iPads going back to the OG iPad back in January 2010 after going to Apple back in January this year to a genius appointment they ran the deep diagnostic test and it came back with an error with the logic board, knowing that it could crap out at any moment, and I would lose my iPad I was able to limp through roughly 4 months and I’m so happy it made it. I don’t regret any of my iPad purchases and yes, I own a 2020 M1 Mac Mini which I have just in case and so I could experience what the M1 Mac mini would be like obviously my 13” IPP is much more powerful than it. I feel like the days of Star Trek where they carried around a pain of Glass that was the “tablet computer“ is finally coming, true with the iPad Pro M4 in 2024. 5 again sorry about the long message, but I hope you enjoy my story. to answer the two questions I had the 2021 M1 12.9 iPad Pro. And to answer the second question I did upgrade and I don’t regret it for a moment looking back at the first iPad and 2010 to where Apple has taken us to the M4 2024 IPP it is exciting to see, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds in tablet computing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.