Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPJones

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2022
I was thinking of buying a refurbed MBA M1 (currently got a 2013 iMac running Ventura quite happily with OCLP for most tasks, but trying to be proactive). What are the speakers like on the MBA? The iMac still produces great quality sound for parties, and I'd hate to lose that.

Reactions: bobjonesco

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
The speakers are great, as a laptop, but not for a party IMO. But BT speakers (or even HomePod) are cheap and easy. I use a SONOS soundbar and can just Airplay to that if needed.

halledise

macrumors 68000
Not offhand (I'll look it up in a bit), but I remember the depth being considerably shorter, which was great for modern airplane tray tables. The tradeoff being noticeably less palmrest room and a smaller trackpad. It doesn't matter now, but back then the size also made the TSA consider it to be a tablet, so I never had to pull it from my bag at security. :)

Of course I also loved the iPhone mini, so clearly my tastes for smaller devices isn't reflected in the overall market, at least as Apple sees it!
i'm 100% with you there.
i still have a 12 mini and if :apple: had brought out a better quality display for the 11" Air, i'd still have that too

SPJones

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2022
The speakers are great, as a laptop, but not for a party IMO. But BT speakers (or even HomePod) are cheap and easy. I use a SONOS soundbar and can just Airplay to that if needed.
Thanks. I lent my soundbar to my mother, and feel guilty about asking for it back if I switch from iMac to laptop!

halledise

macrumors 68000
M1 v M2 front on.
M2 is - surprisingly - lighter by a smidge
IMG_0002.jpeg

Last edited:

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Now thinking maybe a 15-inch M3 MBA because my eyesight isn't as good as it was, but I just know I'd come back to this wedge-shaped form factor.
The height of narcissism I know, but now replying to my own post...

Well damn. I did think about it, and right now have a 15-inch M3 MBA base model on my lap. And yes, the screen is way better for me to actually use, though oddly the keyboard slightly less good (and it sounds a bit 'hollow' too), but there's a selling point I hadn't even thought existed: This is the nearest thing to a TiBook - and the TiBook was a favorite of mine - in the feel of it to use.

Quite unexpected, but very satisfying. Not least because I do actually own a TiBook and always liked it, but these days it won't boot. Maybe now it won't have to!

I could trade the M1... but to be honest, I don't feel I could part with it.

Reactions: bobjonesco

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I currently own a 2018 Macbook Air 128g / 8gb. Was thinking about finally upgrading to a base model Apple Silicon M3 Macbook Air which i can get for 1800 AUD. However after looking at this thread and seeing new M1 Airs still selling for 1350 AUD i was wondering if the M3 would really be worth the extra 450 AUD? I only use it for very basic computing, no image or video editing or heavy multitasking.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
After having a 15.2 inch PowerBook G4 and a 15.4 inch MacBook Pro, I'm happy to have a 13 inch M1 MacBook Air. It's just so easy to take around the house and use without concern for battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.