Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
I’m a bit staggered at the announcements (or lack of) at today’s WWDC event. What on earth is Apple’s game plan for the iPad Pro in the long term? I’m not saying people don’t need iPads, they are by far the best consumption tablets out there. But what is the point of buying an M1-equipped, 16GB RAM iPad Pro?

No Final Cut Pro, no Xcode, no Logic Pro, no pro apps whatsoever for that matter. Pathetic monitor support. You can’t even run proper Office or browser plugins on those things. Basically nothing to justify the power and exorbitant cost of the hardware while Windows tablets like the Surface Pro, for all their flaws, have been running full desktop apps for years now.

I’m just at a loss as to the point of it all and it further reinforces my belief that Windows and Microsoft had the right approach all along with the Surface devices.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
what is the point of buying an M1-equipped, 16GB RAM iPad Pro?

I think the real point of the M1 in the iPad is simply why not? Why put something else in it when one chip pretty much fits all? That it comes with 8GB or even 16GB is simply a benefit. Does it bring anything specific to the IPP as it stands today? No, not at all. In fact, a two-generation old IPP is still faster than you will need.

Not really followed today's event but it sounds like nothing stand out in terms of iPadOS harnessing all the extra processing power/memory available. Not that I am surprised.

I am sure many will argue there were lots of new and interesting things but I agree, without 'pro' apps and so on, it remains nothing more than an over-powered device with nothing to take advantage of it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think the real point of the M1 in the iPad is simply why not? Why put something else in it when one chip pretty much fits all? That it comes with 8GB or even 16GB is simply a benefit. Does it bring anything specific to the IPP as it stands today? No, not at all. In fact, a two-generation old IPP is still faster than you will need.

Not really followed today's event but it sounds like nothing stand out in terms of iPadOS harnessing all the extra processing power/memory available. Not that I am surprised.

I am sure many will argue there were lots of new and interesting things but I agree, without 'pro' apps and so on, it remains nothing more than an over-powered device with nothing to take advantage of it.
That's true as of today. Apple may not have tipped all of their cards yet. They may not be ready for some big time announcements.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I’m a bit staggered at the announcements (or lack of) at today’s WWDC event. What on earth is Apple’s game plan for the iPad Pro in the long term? I’m not saying people don’t need iPads, they are by far the best consumption tablets out there. But what is the point of buying an M1-equipped, 16GB RAM iPad Pro?

No Final Cut Pro, no Xcode, no Logic Pro, no pro apps whatsoever for that matter. Pathetic monitor support. You can’t even run proper Office or browser plugins on those things. Basically nothing to justify the power and exorbitant cost of the hardware while Windows tablets like the Surface Pro, for all their flaws, have been running full desktop apps for years now.

I’m just at a loss as to the point of it all and it further reinforces my belief that Windows and Microsoft had the right approach all along with the Surface devices.
In my opinion, the purpose of the iPad Pro is to have marginally incremental improvements each year because they know there are many who will upgrade more frequently than is technically needed. With each hardware update, there's the turn of the crank on the money-making machine.

Apple could've produced an iPad Pro 4-5 years ago that could come close to what the Surface does, but what benefit is that to Apple? Think of how many people have purchased multiple generations of iPad Pros during that time. Their glacially slow updates haven't hurt sales.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Nothing has changed. People buy iPads to do ordinary iPad things, on the best tablet computer available. They don’t buy them with expectations of running desktop apps.
But that's exactly the point. Why equip an iPad with 16GB of RAM when an app can only access a max of 5 gigabytes? Multitasking is so rudimentary on iPad OS it's almost pointless at times. So it can't be for that.

The price point for the top model is so astronomic that the lack of any justification for something that can replace a high-end laptop (when it is marketed as being able to do so) is unforgivable.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
But that's exactly the point. Why equip an iPad with 16GB of RAM when an app can only access a max of 5 gigabytes? Multitasking is so rudimentary on iPad OS it's almost pointless at times. So it can't be for that.

The price point for the top model is so astronomic that the lack of any justification for something that can replace a high-end laptop (when it is marketed as being able to do so) is unforgivable.
Each app can only access 5GB, but the OS can still access 16GB, that means the OS can maintain more apps in RAM. That’s not completely pointless. This should help those whose iPad workflow requires a lot of app switching.

What does price point have to do with anything?

Reactions: chabig

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

You may not see value, millions of people do.

My workflow depends on the right tool for the right job. My iPad is my Zoom meeting system, team whiteboard, notepad (handwriting) research and calendar system. It compliments my Mac fully and I even use it as a 4th monitor on occasions.

With iPadOS 15 and Mac OS 12, I’ll be able to take that further than ever before.

Aside from SSMS and a few other apps all my needs are served by my Apple devices.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

It isn't "unforgivable". If it is overpowered and overpriced to the point that no one wants it then people will opt for one of the lower priced options all the way down to the $309 vanilla iPad.

Either way, iPad Pro is essentially a tablet version of a Mac at this point with the M1. Porting those professional minded applications will be easier now that the two share the same underlying architecture.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

You answered yourself. They’re the best consumption devices. An iPad Pro is basically that with the nicest screen and fastest chip. A premium tablet. That is apples market.

Reactions: jimmy_uk and chabig

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I think Apple is trying to be more vertically integrated with hardware than ever before.

They essentially have a single chip that can go into five products: Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, iMac 24", and iPad Pro.

They've never had that before. The Macs were built with whatever Intel chips had available at the time... and the iPad Pro had a rejiggered AX-series chip.

But now it's all one chip.

I don't think the direction of the iPad Pro has or is changing at all. It just now has the same chip as many other products simply due to silicon consolidation.

I hear what people are saying... "The iPad Pro is basically a Mac... so it should just be a Mac!"

Well that's not what Apple is doing. Period. The iPad Pro is still an iPad.

It just now uses the same wonderful chips as other Apple products. And that's awesome.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
Pro is just a name for the best, top of the line , the iPhone pro is still just an iPhone.
Maybe the M1 chip requires more memory to function and it has nothing to do with allowing more complex application.

if the surface was that good we would all be buying them but iPad still out sales it by a massive volume. It will be interesting to see what the new version of windows brings to the party.
But for the consumer the apple apps, iMessage , news, photos etc are far better then the windows options for a standard consumer user.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Are you sure about that? Sure, in the early days of the Surface Pros, there are OEMs copying the form factor. But that seems to die off, as OEMs go back to traditional laptop form factors. The Surface Pro remains a niche product. It is not a good tablet, and it is not a great laptop either (top heavy, keyboard sold separately, limited ports). Even Microsoft realised this and released the Surface Book and Surface Laptop.

If the Surface Pro approach was the "right" one, it should've been dominating the tablet and laptop space. But it's not.

Reactions: TiggrToo and chabig

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Let’s look at it another way.

What else would you have expected Apple to update the iPad Pro with, if not the M1 chip? When you consider all the other options, the M1 chip (with its 8gb ram) would be superior to any other Ax chip variant in terms of performance, and cheaper than designing a brand new chip.

Even if the ipad doesn’t get new pro apps and features, it’s still a benefit for the consumer either way.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Nothing has changed. People buy iPads to do ordinary iPad things, on the best tablet computer available. They don’t buy them with expectations of running desktop apps.
Actually, many did. They’re howling at the moon in other threads because they believed the rumor mongers. I have no sympathy for them.

Don’t get me wrong. If some of those apps maKe it to the iPP, then I might consider buying one but, for now, my 2nd Gen 12.9 is great and does everything I need. Only if it crapped out would I consider buying the latest.

Believe what you want but it’s probably not a good idea to quit your day job. Ok, the Surface Pro is the most popular… oh wait, no it’s not. Your Windows/Android clown car awaits.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
the names are very wrong on both tablets

on an iPad, one can only perform certain tasks the apps wants to do.
and cannot go into the heart of the device, like remove unwanted cache or configure apps.
where one is stuck and can only go so deep into the iPad, like being trapped in a surface.

while the Microsoft Surface is more open and one can go deeper into the device
and file management much better, like a PROfessional would!

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Believe what you want but it’s probably not a good idea to quit your day job. Ok, the Surface Pro is the most popular… oh wait, no it’s not. Your Windows/Android clown car awaits.
Wow. As an Apple user of over 25 years, it's this type of puerile insult that reminds me why people sneer at Apple fans.

Popularity has nothing to do with it. A device marketed as "pro" with an M1 and 16Gb of RAM should at the very least be able to run desktop-grade apps (notice I said desktop-grade, not desktop). A version of Word that cannot even display a document map, lousy monitor support and laughable access to a file system isn't it.

But, hey, at least you can drag widgets around now.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
the names are very wrong on both tablets

on an iPad, one can only perform certain tasks the apps wants to do.
and cannot go into the heart of the device, like remove unwanted cache or configure apps.
where one is stuck and can only go so deep into the iPad, like being trapped in a surface.

while the Microsoft Surface is more open and one can go deeper into the device
and file management much better, like a PROfessional would!
As an IT professional of over 30 years who’s done plenty of digging into logs, the Windows registry and hunting DLLs, I can happily say that none of what you’ve claimed is a problem has ever once been an issue for me in over 5 years of iPad usage.

None of it. Not a single blessed thing.

Reactions: kazmac and LordVic

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
sweet!
how does one get rid of over 5GB of stagnate cache on an iPad?
my professor from our basic-c class from 1989 gave up on this several years ago.
I’ll take “Issues that have been blown out of all proportion for $1,000, please”

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I’ll take “Issues that have been blown out of all proportion for $1,000, please”
i can here that James Holzhauer jeopardy guy say "proportion- $1,000"

what seems mundane for everyone else has planted an annoyance for my iPad, which has 32GB.
that extra 4GB would be nice, and other file sharing options would help and benefit me a lot
but not apple.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I still think Apple plans to release MacOS for iPad Pro hence the overkill specs for iPadOS but it's just delayed from employees dispersed WFH. Two-in-one form factor like the Surface Pro is the future with 360 degree convertible second so Apple needs an equivalent device to compete. Can't imagine Apple being content with customers having to buy two half baked devices, a clamshell Macbook without touch and pen inputs plus an iPad with touch and pen inputs but gimped iPadOS.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I still think Apple plans to release MacOS for iPad Pro hence the overkill specs for iPadOS but it's just delayed from employees dispersed WFH. Two-in-one form factor like the Surface Pro is the future with 360 degree convertible second so Apple needs an equivalent device to compete.
I agree. That is coming... but not anytime soon. "Anytime soon" defined as 3-5 years.
Can't imagine Apple being content with customers having to buy two half baked devices, a clamshell Macbook without touch and pen inputs plus an iPad with touch and pen inputs but gimped iPadOS.
I can. They're content now... all the way to the bank. ?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
i can here that James Holzhauer jeopardy guy say "proportion- $1,000"

what seems mundane for everyone else has planted an annoyance for my iPad, which has 32GB.
that extra 4GB would be nice, and other file sharing options would help and benefit me a lot
but not apple.
You have 32GB???????

In the meantime, which apps have you got that you can say with an absolute certainty have been adversely affected by this limitation?

Sure, some apps could do better with more, but I seriously doubt this has adversely affected you any more than before the world knew of this a few weeks ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.