Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
You have 32GB???????

In the meantime, which apps have you got that you can say with an absolute certainty have been adversely affected by this limitation?

Sure, some apps could do better with more, but I seriously doubt this has adversely affected you any more than before the world knew of this a few weeks ago.
the apps hogging data were recently deleted except the drawing one that has 6GB of files
i did some GB math on the iPad and have over 7GB of uses, useless space.
and
"ah gawd damned tim cook, why do I have to log into my MLB account on the apple TV every power outage?"

obviously, im not happy with anything apple does this year, so this is my problem i need to solve.
just frustrating tho.

thanks for the help, and hope you understood or got that jeopardy joke i posted earlier.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
honestly most people just the iPad for $250-300 dollars. Its enough for 99% of people.

I have a iPad mini and MBP 16". For me thats the best combo and with Universal Control. I can control my iPad with my Mac.

I don't need a iPad Pro, in fact almost no one NEEDS an iPad Pro, they WANT one.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I’m a bit staggered at the announcements (or lack of) at today’s WWDC event. What on earth is Apple’s game plan for the iPad Pro in the long term? I’m not saying people don’t need iPads, they are by far the best consumption tablets out there. But what is the point of buying an M1-equipped, 16GB RAM iPad Pro?

No Final Cut Pro, no Xcode, no Logic Pro, no pro apps whatsoever for that matter. Pathetic monitor support. You can’t even run proper Office or browser plugins on those things. Basically nothing to justify the power and exorbitant cost of the hardware while Windows tablets like the Surface Pro, for all their flaws, have been running full desktop apps for years now.

I’m just at a loss as to the point of it all and it further reinforces my belief that Windows and Microsoft had the right approach all along with the Surface devices.

I guess for me, the surface pro wasn’t doing more of what I wanted. It’s essentially a touchscreen laptop, running a desktop OS with desktop apps.

7649a5fb609b2aae897f50934744c006.jpg

To use an analogy, the work I do is firmly in the pink zone. Laptops are just too cumbersome for when I want to quickly access data or perform multiple smaller / simpler tasks here and there.

I use my ipad to teach in the classroom and I prefer that iOS (and its apps by extension) are optimised for touch. It has long battery life, 4g, and the UI makes it easy for me to operate while walking around the classroom.

An example of how I have used my ipad is to record a screencast, then quickly edit it in LumaFusion before uploading to youtube. All while during my free period at work.

I have created shortcuts to automate the sending of weekly emails.

I have all my teaching material in notability, which I can reference at the snap of a finger. I have typed meeting minutes in MS word on my ipad, and emailed it to my head using the share-sheet extension directly from within the app itself.

Maybe Microsoft had the right idea from the start, but it’s nothing without the right software and the right ecosystem. That’s their biggest issue - their execution sucks.

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
I guess for me, the surface pro wasn’t doing more of what I wanted. It’s essentially a touchscreen laptop, running a desktop OS with desktop apps.

7649a5fb609b2aae897f50934744c006.jpg

To use an analogy, the work I do is firmly in the pink zone. Laptops are just too cumbersome for when I want to quickly access data or perform multiple smaller / simpler tasks here and there.

I use my ipad to teach in the classroom and I prefer that iOS (and its apps by extension) are optimised for touch. It has long battery life, 4g, and the UI makes it easy for me to operate while walking around the classroom.

An example of how I have used my ipad is to record a screencast, then quickly edit it in LumaFusion before uploading to youtube. All while during my free period at work.

I have created shortcuts to automate the sending of weekly emails.

I have all my teaching material in notability, which I can reference at the snap of a finger. I have typed meeting minutes in MS word on my ipad, and emailed it to my head using the share-sheet extension directly from within the app itself.

Maybe Microsoft had the right idea from the start, but it’s nothing without the right software and the right ecosystem. That’s their biggest issue - their execution sucks.
Thanks for this, it’s an excellent breakdown of how the iPad can be used to remove complexity and accomplish tasks quickly and efficiently. I guess it’s an issue of making the limitations of the OS work for you rather than against you.

Maybe there is a little bit of rethinking that needs to go on (for me and others) when it comes to desktop operating systems. Maybe it’s part of a paradigm that requires a complete rethink of how tasks can be automated and executed without the need for a full desktop OS and traditional programs.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Thanks for this, it’s an excellent breakdown of how the iPad can be used to remove complexity and accomplish tasks quickly and efficiently. I guess it’s an issue of making the limitations of the OS work for you rather than against you.

Maybe there is a little bit of rethinking that needs to go on (for me and others) when it comes to desktop operating systems. Maybe it’s part of a paradigm that requires a complete rethink of how tasks can be automated and executed without the need for a full desktop OS and traditional programs.

Maybe for consumption tasks but not for productivity tasks. On iPadOS and even Android it requires more steps and longer to get the same tasks done than a desktop OS. If I could only bring one device Windows x64 > Windows on ARM > Chrome > Android > iPadOS. This video sums it up. For example, can fill out IRS 1040 form and sign easily and quickly on Windows x64 & ARM all within single Edge browser but on Android and iPadOS requires multiple apps and a paid/subscription PDF app to even be able to edit IRS 1040 and you can't sign the document directly but have to go through multiple steps to create signature, copy/paste to PDF and resize signature.

Reactions: Mendota

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Thank you. I realise it feels like an inherent contradiction, but I find that my experience with an iPad is that it is less convenient, but has led to me being more productive overall.

For starters, I find that I don't really bother automating on my Mac at all, because I know I can brute-force my way through any task. For example, for some time a couple of years back, I had been sending a weekly update to my Social Studies teachers on how to go about teaching the new syllabus. The process involved me copying a bunch of instructions from copied, attaching files from dropbox, then sending to a group of teachers. Rinse and repeat 5 more times (for 6 different levels). Doing so took me about 30 minutes each week, and I had little incentive to try and improve that process. The macOS interface was just good enough that no one instance of that action warrants investing the time into automating the whole process.

It was now the following year and since the resources were already there, I thought I may as well repeat the process for a new batch of teachers. And it got me thinking about how it could be done any more quickly, while continuing to look professional (so no forwarding emails from the previous year).

On my iPad however, the same process was so cumbersome (even via drag and drop) that I was compelled to find a way to streamline that process. After an hour of messing around with the shortcuts app (then known as workflow), I was able to shorten the process to 10 minutes. And the plus side is that said workflow that was originally intended for my iPad was also available on my iPhone which meant that - bonus! I could now get the same task done when I was outside, without needing access to my Mac at all.

One thing I like to do on my iPad is that when I want to read an article or brainstorm a certain idea, I detach the iPad from my Smart Keyboard and either lean back or stand up and walk around the house. Doing so is a nice mental break, especially after having sat hunch over the screen for some time.

I also find that full-screen apps help me stay focused and less easily distracted, because the tendency to check twitter or reddit is less when they aren't just hiding a browser tab away, and I don't have excess space on the left of the screen that I might be tempted to fill with tweetbot.

In addition, for all the complaints of the friction between macOS and iPadOS, the bright side is that my iPhone and iPad complement each other very well, and these are the two devices I have on me at all times on a normal working day. They share nearly identical apps and workflows (eg: shortcuts I design for one device is available on the other), meaning that data from one is readily available on the other.

Maybe for consumption tasks but not for productivity tasks. On iPadOS and even Android it requires more steps and longer to get the same tasks done than a desktop OS. If I could only bring one device Windows x64 > Windows on ARM > Chrome > Android > iPadOS. This video sums it up. For example, can fill out IRS 1040 form and sign easily and quickly on Windows x64 & ARM all within single Edge browser but on Android and iPadOS requires multiple apps and a paid/subscription PDF app to even be able to edit IRS 1040 and you can't sign the document directly but have to go through multiple steps to create signature, copy/paste to PDF and resize signature.
I find that all this talk of consumption vs productivity to be a meaningless distinction ultimately.

As a teacher, part of my work involves, yes, reviewing teaching material prior to a lesson. And where do you think they are stored? Right on my iPad, organised in notability. And it's so easy to unlock my iPad and launch an app, vs trying to unlock a laptop and drill down to the appropriate file in the network drive or even through a thumb drive (which makes it even more cumbersome).

My students are giving a presentation in the classroom. What do you think I use to record the process with? My iPad.

And when the footage is on my iPad, it's a natural move to edit it in Lumafusion, vs waiting to airdrop it to my Mac and using iMovie.

For so many tasks in the teaching profession, I have been able to streamline them using my iPhone and iPad. It doesn't mean I no longer need a laptop, but there are certainly days where I have gone without switching on my school laptop (at work) or my iMac (at home) at all. Just me, and my trusty iPad in school and at home when I am lounging on the sofa playing "Slay the Spire".

As for taxes, I haven't had to fill one in 10 years. Part of the perks of working for the civil service, where there government already knows my salary better than myself, and has been automatically managing it for me. I just need to log in once a year to make sure the numbers are correct, and they are.

Not bad for an oversized iPod touch. :cool:

Reactions: I7guy and chabig

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
After using the 12.9" since release I can say that is the best portable computer I have ever owned. Will it replace the laptop I use for work? Of course not, it's not meant to do that. It's the best tablet you can buy, with the best operating system if you use it like a tablet.

It does of course suck, that I can't use it for more. I would love to do some Xcode hacking on it, but do I want to give up the overall experience for this? Hell no. Thinking about it: I actually prefer devices that do one thing really really good instead of being mediocre at two things. iPad OS 15 also improves in some areas like multitasking that aren't great currently.

That said, this iPad will absolutely replace every privately used computer we need. I will buy a Magic Keyboard or something Logitech in the future, but that will make it only better.

Reactions: I7guy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
what is the point of buying an M1-equipped, 16GB RAM iPad Pro?
For me, the point is a better tablet experience. No matter how you slice it, the iPad is far superior then any windows based tablet. I do agree that the desktop quality apps available on a windows tablet make it a compelling product.

I thought long and hard about what direction I wanted to go, and at the end of the day, the iPad Pro offered more and will last longer imo, then a windows tablet.

Note taking - iPad Pro
Creative content - iPad Pro
Games - iPad Pro
Media consumption - iPad Pro
Productivity apps - Windows tablet
Battery life - iPad Pro

For my usage, hamstrung Office 365 apps are fine, though limited compared to their desktop versions, I don't really use pivot tables and my needs for excel has changed over the years.

Btw, I opted for the base iPad model, not the top end with tons of ram, I found that configuration to be a waste - at least for my needs.

Reactions: chabig

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
To me Apple has perfected the "tablet experience" on an ipad. Notwithstanding the comments on MR where ipados is not as up to snuff as some would like it, the tablet experience is great. Something, imo, windows 10 doesn't do well. The ipad to me, for what I use it for which is emails, streaming, note taking, is a joy to use. Not so much with windows for those same tasks.

Now if I'm in the office, it's a different story...

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
I appreciate all these replies and the debate. But my question still remains: in terms of the 16Gb M1 iPad Pro, what reason does anyone have to buy it other than "because they can"?

Yes, it's the perfect "tablet experience". For certain use cases - sketching, design, note-taking etc - it's superb. For consumption, it's also excellent. But ALL iPads provide these positives. Even the base model is compatible with a pencil and a smart keyboard now; the Air is a rehashed 2018 Pro 11" if you need a nicer screen. They all run the same OS.

And if money isn't an issue, then the Pro gets you a bigger screen option, extra cameras and ProMotion. But you are looking at $1799 minimum for the 16Gb RAM model; $2399 with 2Tb and cellular. For an iPad!

That is a huge outlay for anyone and the hardware is mostly just sitting there idle. Why put 16Gb RAM in there when apps can, at the absolute most, only access 5Gb? I guess I'm just scratching my head still at how anyone can spend this kind of money on something that is Pro in name but has so many productivity shortcomings.

Equally, why is Apple even putting this hardware into a device they refuse to make more capable from an OS/software perspective? It's Apple themselves that have been touting this as a laptop replacement for years now ("What's a computer?", "Your next computer is not a computer" etc) yet they refuse to take off the shackles.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But my question still remains: in terms of the 16Gb M1 iPad Pro, what reason does anyone have to buy it other than "because they can"?
The only reason (imo) to choose an iPad Pro with 16GB is because that model has the top level storage. If you have high storage requirements, then you buy the model with 16GB. There's nothing on the software side (both apps and OS) that fully take advantage of the memory.

That is a huge outlay for anyone
No, for some its a huge outlay, for others, its not. This may represent a large amount of money to you, but others who may have more discretionary income, will have zero issues in spending that much money.

they refuse to make more capable
That sounds more like jumping to conclusions. Yes, today, iPadOS cannot fully take advantage of the increased ram, but that doesn't mean apple has made a decision to refuse to improve iPadOS in subsequent releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.