Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
My launch 2018 11” LTE is still a champ in all regards except battery. 568 cycles, 80% health according to Coconut battery. Accurate or not, I’m really starting to feel its limits. Faster drain (though not precipitous like it’s faulty) and always needing a boost late in the day.

I plan to make an appointment at the Genius bar and take it in, but I have a few questions for any kind souls who’ve done it before.

Do they do it while you wait or do you come back a few days later?

Do you get it back wiped and factory reset? It’ll be backed up locally and via iCloud so it’s not an issue, merely that it’s a 1tb model with a tonne of video on it that I will eventually bung back on. Not a big deal, it’s something that I will do over time anyway.

Also, I have a matte screen protector on it, I assume that’s toast? Again, not a biggie. The only shame is I put it on perfectly (pretty much) 4 or 5 years ago and it’s still fine. Didn’t buy it as protection, but for the matte screen given I use it a lot in bright conditions/travel.

I still have Apple Care on it, not that it will make a difference.

I’ve been holding off doing it for ages, partly out of laziness, partly because I wanted to see what the OLED iPads will bring. I’ve got a 2021 12.9” M1 5G that I use at home, the old 11” for the road. If the next 12.9” has a Magic Keyboard with a function row I will likely buy it. OLED alone isn’t quite enough, the mini LED is already great and leaps and bounds better than normal LCD. Anyway, if I do buy a new 12.9”, my 2021 12.9” will become the road warrior (I will appreciate the 5G which my data sim is capable of with EE UK), and the 11” will cascade to a family member. I want a new battery for the 11” because it’s still a great iPad otherwise.

Thanks for reading this ramble, ha.

Last edited:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Even if I’m happy to pay? Not expecting a freebie.

You’re right about Apples detection though, it’s optimistic to say the least on all my devices.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Find a third party iPhoen repair place to do the battery, they wont care if its 90% capacity.

Until then, add Low Power Mode to Control Center and toggle that while not in use.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Even if I’m happy to pay? Not expecting a freebie.

You’re right about Apples detection though, it’s optimistic to say the least on all my devices.
Even if you want to pay, Apple won’t change the battery on an iPad. They relented on this absurd policy for iPhones some time ago after getting sued, but for iPad, it still applies.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Gah! I vaguely remember reading this ages ago, but wasn’t paying close attention. Ridiculous.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
A 2018 iPad Pro is already gone on iPadOS 17? Sad. Because of its design language, I often forget it’s been updated five times already…

It should be like-new on iOS 12, sadly.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Gone? Mine still runs great, although I don’t push it very hard with ram intensive tasks. As it’s the 1tb which had 1gb more of ram, that might help.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Gone? Mine still runs great, although I don’t push it very hard with ram intensive tasks. As it’s the 1tb which had 1gb more of ram, that might help.
In terms of battery life, I mean. 80% with 500-something cycles shouldn’t be enough for the user to want a battery replacement if on iOS 12.

I’ve yet to discover the limit, but I reckon iPads’ batteries are effectively unlimited if on the original iOS version.

Reactions: yegon

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
In terms of battery life, I mean. 80% with 500-something cycles shouldn’t be enough for the user to want a battery replacement if on iOS 12.

I’ve yet to discover the limit, but I reckon iPads’ batteries are effectively unlimited if on the original iOS version.
Aah right, gotcha. I misunderstood, my mistake.

The battery life is okay, but far inferior to what it once was. Which is understandable how much it’s been used. I’m just hesitant to use a 3rd party if Apple won’t do it.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Make sure you get a genuine Apple battery, if you take it to a 3rd party. Apple can tell you where your local authorized repair place is.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Aah right, gotcha. I misunderstood, my mistake.

The battery life is okay, but far inferior to what it once was. Which is understandable how much it’s been used. I’m just hesitant to use a 3rd party if Apple won’t do it.
I wouldn’t go to a third-party for an iPad replacement, honestly. I’d just wait. You’ll have to wait a while, but if it isn’t unusable, would it be impossible for you to tolerate it until it drops below Apple’s standard?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
I wouldn’t go to a third-party for an iPad replacement, honestly. I’d just wait. You’ll have to wait a while, but if it isn’t unusable, would it be impossible for you to tolerate it until it drops below Apple’s standard?
Yep, I agree. It’s still fine, I’m merely used to better.

I will wait. My entire strategy might change anyway when new iPad Pros are announced, although it will still be my intention to replace the battery in this when poss.

Still an excellent device, boggles my mind how much use I’ve got from it. I’ve the same opinion of the Magic Keyboard. The price was absurd but dang it’s a great product.

Last edited:

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I’m in a similar boat. I have a 2018 iPad Pro (bought used and came with the Magic Keyboard) and its battery is getting noticeably worse.

The weird thing is that it’s apparently the original battery and yet it's at 171 cycles, but 80.x% life. I wonder if the previous owner just kept it plugged in all the time or something, which would have degraded the battery while not adding any cycles.

Considering that the iPad itself is still fantastic and the fact that I didn't pay anywhere near full price for it, I will happily spring for a replacement, though.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Apple won't replace your battery. My mini 5 is at 80% according to iMazing (79.9% to be precise). I brought it to Apple. Result: 90%. This means I will never change the battery as by the time it goes below 80 for them it will be obsolete and not eligible for battery service.
I have 2018 11” LTE with 1TB, like yours, bought at a major discount in 2020 when the 2020 model was introducted ($900), 433 cycles and 96% battery life according to iMazing, because with this device I have babied the battery since the beginning... (kept it under 90% most of the time and hardly ever going under 50 or 40%). It's a great device, it actually has 2GB RAM more than the regular 2018 model, just like the 2020 one.
And it makes all the difference. 4GB reloads like crazy, 6GB is waaaay better (very similar to my 12.9 which has M1). I am planning on keeping this device for another 10 years, unless Apple does some extraordinary thing that pushes me to buy a new model (oled is definitely not one, I have oled on my Tab S9 and miniled on my M1 and I don't care about either). Maybe if they significantly improve the speakers... (the ones on my S9 are so much better...)

nmart1214

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
The Apple Store will order a replacement device if they do not have one in their back room at the time. They do not do any repairs on iPads and you will get a blank device that is likely refurbished.

That is the entire process, doesnt matter if it's apple or an apple authorized service center(like Best Buy). Only non authorized third parties will do physical repairs on an iPad.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that depending on the diagnostics results it could flag to be sent to a repair center for further testing, but it will still be a replacement and not a repair on the existing device.

Reactions: someoneoutthere

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
I have 2018 11” LTE with 1TB, like yours, bought at a major discount in 2020 when the 2020 model was introducted ($900), 433 cycles and 96% battery life according to iMazing, because with this device I have babied the battery since the beginning... (kept it under 90% most of the time and hardly ever going under 50 or 40%). It's a great device, it actually has 2GB RAM more than the regular 2018 model, just like the 2020 one.
Aah yeah it was 2gb more ram wasn't it, couldn't remember. The experience on it for basic tasks is barely any different to my M1 iPad which has 16gb. Windows/app switching perhaps a bit smoother on the M1.

I'm quite sensitive to the shortcomings of low ram for basic tasks, the iPhone 6 Plus was an utter joke in this regard, as was the iPad Air 1. Fortunately, I realised the Air 1 was junk and took it back in the return window. I then went a year without an iPad, haha, the first (and only) time since buying the original iPad.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Aah yeah it was 2gb more ram wasn't it, couldn't remember. The experience on it for basic tasks is barely any different to my M1 iPad which has 16gb. Windows/app switching perhaps a bit smoother on the M1.

I'm quite sensitive to the shortcomings of low ram for basic tasks, the iPhone 6 Plus was an utter joke in this regard, as was the iPad Air 1. Fortunately, I realised the Air 1 was junk and took it back in the return window. I then went a year without an iPad, haha, the first (and only) time since buying the original iPad.
Yeah pretty sensitive to low RAM too. You'll find the internet full of "the iPad mini 6 is the best iPad period" and when I say it's a device I wouldn't buy even for $200 (not because of size but because of lack of RAM) they don't understand.
4GB RAM today is what 1GB was when the original air (which I had back in the day came out).
I remember when I mentioned reloads to my sister, who had an iPad 6, she said, oh but I thought that was normal with iPads, everything reloads all the time... Well that's because of low RAM I explained... And she was like "so there are iPads that don't do that??". She ended up bying a M1...

• Haha

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
As others have mentioned, unfortunately with the iPad, because they just give you a “new” / refurb device vs actually just replacing out the battery (like they do with the iPhones), they are quite strict on only doing so when their diagnostics show <80% battery health. Even when you’re willing to pay for it. The “problem” is their battery replacement service for the 2018+ iPad Pros (w/out Applecare+) is just $120, vs any other damage ($499), both of which you basically get a new iPad. So they pushback quite a bit on battery replacements...

And further, problem is their diagnostics show quite a bit higher battery health than Coconut Battery. As a point of reference, I tried to take in my 10.5” iPad Pro (gave to my kid when I got my 2018 11” iPP) for battery service when Coconut Battery was showing 72%. I thought for sure that would be enough (eg. +/- 5-7%). Their diagnostic showed 88% and I was denied. Problem is even though it’s quite old now (6+ years), it’s relatively lower cycles (~500) - I wouldn’t be surprised if the way their diagnostics estimate health leans more heavily on cycle count vs age / other factors that we experience in-reality but not based on numbers.

OP, you may have a bit more luck given you still have AppleCare+. If you get the right Apple team member, get them on your side and make them want to do what they can to help you, you might have some luck… Especially since if there’s other “damage” on your device, AppleCare+ covers it for $49…

Reactions: Timpetus

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
As others have mentioned, unfortunately with the iPad, because they just give you a “new” / refurb device vs actually just replacing out the battery (like they do with the iPhones), they are quite strict on only doing so when their diagnostics show <80% battery health. Even when you’re willing to pay for it. The “problem” is their battery replacement service for the 2018+ iPad Pros (w/out Applecare+) is just $120, vs any other damage ($499), both of which you basically get a new iPad. So they pushback quite a bit on battery replacements...

And further, problem is their diagnostics show quite a bit higher battery health than Coconut Battery. As a point of reference, I tried to take in my 10.5” iPad Pro (gave to my kid when I got my 2018 11” iPP) for battery service when Coconut Battery was showing 72%. I thought for sure that would be enough (eg. +/- 5-7%). Their diagnostic showed 88% and I was denied. Problem is even though it’s quite old now (6+ years), it’s relatively lower cycles (~500) - I wouldn’t be surprised if the way their diagnostics estimate health leans more heavily on cycle count vs age / other factors that we experience in-reality but not based on numbers.

OP, you may have a bit more luck given you still have AppleCare+. If you get the right Apple team member, get them on your side and make them want to do what they can to help you, you might have some luck… Especially since if there’s other “damage” on your device, AppleCare+ covers it for $49…
Good point thanks.

It’s a ridiculous situation overall though isn’t it, and makes a mockery of their claims to be so environmentally friendly given it’s partly a ploy to encourage you to buy a new device altogether.

I’d honestly be happy to get the same device back a week later with a fresh battery, it would be like a new old iPad. Despite the fact I don’t baby my devices, and I work on the railway where it’s been in and out of my bag multiple times a day, 45 weeks a year since 2018, it’s in essentially perfect condition otherwise. It’s always been in either the Smart Keyboard or Magic Keyboard when that was released, and stored away in a leather sleeve.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Good point thanks.

It’s a ridiculous situation overall though isn’t it, and makes a mockery of their claims to be so environmentally friendly given it’s partly a ploy to encourage you to buy a new device altogether.

I’d honestly be happy to get the same device back a week later with a fresh battery, it would be like a new old iPad. Despite the fact I don’t baby my devices, and I work on the railway where it’s been in and out of my bag multiple times a day, 45 weeks a year since 2018, it’s in essentially perfect condition otherwise. It’s always been in either the Smart Keyboard or Magic Keyboard when that was released, and stored away in a leather sleeve.
Apple is one of the least environmenetally friendly companies despite all their claims. The lack of upgradability of their devices and their sale model, with extremely expensive upgrades and virtually no sales on upgraded model (BTO/CTO) pushes people to buy underspecced non upgradable models, which could last much longer otherwise since they have extremely good processors.

Reactions: BanjoDudeAhoy

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Apple is one of the least environmenetally friendly companies despite all their claims. The lack of upgradability of their devices and their sale model, with extremely expensive upgrades and virtually no sales on upgraded model (BTO/CTO) pushes people to buy underspecced non upgradable models, which could last much longer otherwise since they have extremely good processors.
I completely agree. The issue I have is merely one example of many. They love to wax lyrical about their eco credentials at length in every presentation, along with how oh-so-ethical they are…so long as it doesn’t impact sales *cough* China and innumerable other hypocrisies.

They make products I happen to like a lot, but they’re little different to every other profit making company. In the non-ideal world we live in, I don’t like it but I can live with it. I always mute Tims ethics schtick, and I never did watch that earth mother crap they had at the last keynote. Delusional anyone who falls for it.

MrWaldo

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2024
My launch 2018 11” LTE is still a champ in all regards except battery. 568 cycles, 80% health according to Coconut battery. Accurate or not, I’m really starting to feel its limits. Faster drain (though not precipitous like it’s faulty) and always needing a boost late in the day.

I plan to make an appointment at the Genius bar and take it in, but I have a few questions for any kind souls who’ve done it before.

Do they do it while you wait or do you come back a few days later?

Do you get it back wiped and factory reset? It’ll be backed up locally and via iCloud so it’s not an issue, merely that it’s a 1tb model with a tonne of video on it that I will eventually bung back on. Not a big deal, it’s something that I will do over time anyway.

Also, I have a matte screen protector on it, I assume that’s toast? Again, not a biggie. The only shame is I put it on perfectly (pretty much) 4 or 5 years ago and it’s still fine. Didn’t buy it as protection, but for the matte screen given I use it a lot in bright conditions/travel.

I still have Apple Care on it, not that it will make a difference.

I’ve been holding off doing it for ages, partly out of laziness, partly because I wanted to see what the OLED iPads will bring. I’ve got a 2021 12.9” M1 5G that I use at home, the old 11” for the road. If the next 12.9” has a Magic Keyboard with a function row I will likely buy it. OLED alone isn’t quite enough, the mini LED is already great and leaps and bounds better than normal LCD. Anyway, if I do buy a new 12.9”, my 2021 12.9” will become the road warrior (I will appreciate the 5G which my data sim is capable of with EE UK), and the 11” will cascade to a family member. I want a new battery for the 11” because it’s still a great iPad otherwise.

Thanks for reading this ramble, ha.
I am a bit late responding. Similar issue for me. Genius Bar chap told me they do not really replace the battery for my ailing iPad. After punching in data on their device and performing a check on mine, they replaced my unit with a new unit of the same model and storage. In my case it was a 12.9” and the battery just was not getting the job done. New unit was brought out in a plain, new, sealed box w/o the Apple stickers, charging block and etc. Old iPad I brought in was to be recycled. Be sure you have completely backed up your device before you bring it to the store. One of the terms you agree to (wisely) is having your original device wiped and restored to factory condition on the spot. Overall an easy process.Tech was quite helpful. The Genius Bar is always irritatingly crowded but that is another matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.