Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Counterpoint to some of the above: I took my 2016 iPad Pro to the Apple Store in early 2022 when its battery was draining quite fast. I've never used Coconut Battery but it was clear at this point that it needed a new one, let's just say that. I suppose they must've done some diagnostics but the process was easy and they didn't even hint at the idea that my iPad might not be badly off enough to not get battery service.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't build iPads responsibly, so whole-device replacement is the only viable option. This is a good reason to support regulations around user-serviceability of batteries in consumer devices.

Reactions: yegon

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Counterpoint to some of the above: I took my 2016 iPad Pro to the Apple Store in early 2022 when its battery was draining quite fast. I've never used Coconut Battery but it was clear at this point that it needed a new one, let's just say that. I suppose they must've done some diagnostics but the process was easy and they didn't even hint at the idea that my iPad might not be badly off enough to not get battery service.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't build iPads responsibly, so whole-device replacement is the only viable option. This is a good reason to support regulations around user-serviceability of batteries in consumer devices.
Do you still have the 9.7-inch iPad Pro? How is it running after the new battery?

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Do you still have the 9.7-inch iPad Pro? How is it running after the new battery?
It made an enormous difference. I'm finally upgrading this year when the new ones come out, and without the battery replacement I couldn't have stretched my time with this iPad to 2024. For someone like me who can handle a lot of slowness in an aging device, the battery replacement returned it to like-new feeling. I even bought a keyboard cover for it after the replacement, and that made it even more fun to use. A new lease on life, as they say.

The 2018 Pros are vastly more capable and modern-feeling than my '16, which has a design that's from the early part of the last decade. I'm confident a battery replacement can get you at least a couple more years out of it, if you're the type to take it that far.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I am a bit late responding. Similar issue for me. Genius Bar chap told me they do not really replace the battery for my ailing iPad. After punching in data on their device and performing a check on mine, they replaced my unit with a new unit of the same model and storage. In my case it was a 12.9” and the battery just was not getting the job done. New unit was brought out in a plain, new, sealed box w/o the Apple stickers, charging block and etc. Old iPad I brought in was to be recycled. Be sure you have completely backed up your device before you bring it to the store. One of the terms you agree to (wisely) is having your original device wiped and restored to factory condition on the spot. Overall an easy process.Tech was quite helpful. The Genius Bar is always irritatingly crowded but that is another matter.

Except for the crowdedness I can confirm the process. I had my watch battery - or rather the entire watch - replaced recently and it was so painless overall it was astounding. Best customer service experience I’ve had in terms of tech products.
They didn’t even complain about the few scratches and dents the old one had.

Now, if only I didn’t need to be issued a new device for what should be a simple process the user can perform themselves…

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
Except for the crowdedness I can confirm the process. I had my watch battery - or rather the entire watch - replaced recently and it was so painless overall it was astounding. Best customer service experience I’ve had in terms of tech products.
They didn’t even complain about the few scratches and dents the old one had.

Now, if only I didn’t need to be issued a new device for what should be a simple process the user can perform themselves…
The other wrinkle is that swapping devices means you're forced to update to a current version of iOS/iPadOS/WatchOS, whether you like it or not. I still remember the days when I could take my jailbroken iPhone to Apple, having removed the JB and saved blobs for the correct version, and no matter what they did I could revert to the old version and re-jailbreak my phone when it came back to me. Now you're stuck unless you get lucky enough to get the same exact device back, and they might still update iOS while they have it anyway...

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It made an enormous difference. I'm finally upgrading this year when the new ones come out, and without the battery replacement I couldn't have stretched my time with this iPad to 2024. For someone like me who can handle a lot of slowness in an aging device, the battery replacement returned it to like-new feeling. I even bought a keyboard cover for it after the replacement, and that made it even more fun to use. A new lease on life, as they say.

Yeah, I guess that matches results from 2nd-gen iPad Pro users, whose devices have been obliterated by iOS updates, and in that case, battery replacements help. They’re still very poor (like the 9.7-inch iPad Pro) in terms of battery life, but they’re kind of usable, unlike degraded ones.
The 2018 Pros are vastly more capable and modern-feeling than my '16, which has a design that's from the early part of the last decade. I'm confident a battery replacement can get you at least a couple more years out of it, if you're the type to take it that far.
I keep iOS devices. I upgraded to the Air 5 in 2022, but I still have my 9.7-inch iPad Pro, which is now over 7 years old. My case is different, however. Mine is on iOS 12, and henceforth battery health is irrelevant, so I’ll never replace the battery. No 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iPadOS 16 can match mine on iOS 12 in terms of battery life and performance, so even if it were eligible (it isn’t), I still wouldn’t do it.

I expect that iPad’s battery to remain usable forever (forever meaning, until iOS 12 is completely useless, and even then there are some things it will do, like content consumption for some tv show apps and iBooks), so I’m not worried.

Reactions: erikkfi

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah, I guess that matches results from 2nd-gen iPad Pro users, whose devices have been obliterated by iOS updates, and in that case, battery replacements help. They’re still very poor (like the 9.7-inch iPad Pro) in terms of battery life, but they’re kind of usable, unlike degraded ones.

I keep iOS devices. I upgraded to the Air 5 in 2022, but I still have my 9.7-inch iPad Pro, which is now over 7 years old. My case is different, however. Mine is on iOS 12, and henceforth battery health is irrelevant, so I’ll never replace the battery. No 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iPadOS 16 can match mine on iOS 12 in terms of battery life and performance, so even if it were eligible (it isn’t), I still wouldn’t do it.

I expect that iPad’s battery to remain usable forever (forever meaning, until iOS 12 is completely useless, and even then there are some things it will do, like content consumption for some tv show apps and iBooks), so I’m not worried.
Someone says "the battery replacement returned it to like-new feeling" (same experience I had with my 2015 pro) and you reply "They’re still very poor in terms of battery life, but they’re kind of usable".... because, over and over again, regardless of what people say, you cannot accept that your theory that updated devices have terrible battery (while if you never update an iPad you maintain good battery life forever regardless of battery condition) might not be true...

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Someone says "the battery replacement returned it to like-new feeling" (same experience I had with my 2015 pro) and you reply "They’re still very poor in terms of battery life, but they’re kind of usable".... because, over and over again, regardless of what people say, you cannot accept that your theory that updated devices have terrible battery (while if you never update an iPad you maintain good battery life forever regardless of battery condition) might not be true...
I interpreted “like-new” in terms of performance, not battery life, which would match what users who’ve shared screenshots show:

A significant increase in battery life when compared to a degraded battery and performance improvements, both aspects which are very far from the original iOS version.

I will maintain two things until proven otherwise:
-Replaced batteries are far from being able to match the original version’s battery life (and performance).

-Battery health is completely irrelevant if the device is on its original iOS version.

I’m not saying battery replacements don’t help if the device is updated. I’m saying they can’t match original iOS versions. I will maintain this until proven otherwise, and I will base iOS version recommendations off of that. It’s on Apple to be better. It’s on Apple to allow downgrading if they won’t. Until they do something right when it comes to this I will recommend people to never update and I will criticize them with the truth.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I interpreted “like-new” in terms of performance, not battery life, which would match what users who’ve shared screenshots show:

A significant increase in battery life when compared to a degraded battery and performance improvements, both aspects which are very far from the original iOS version.

I will maintain two things until proven otherwise:
-Replaced batteries are far from being able to match the original version’s battery life (and performance).

-Battery health is completely irrelevant if the device is on its original iOS version.

I’m not saying battery replacements don’t help if the device is updated. I’m saying they can’t match original iOS versions. I will maintain this until proven otherwise, and I will base iOS version recommendations off of that. It’s on Apple to be better. It’s on Apple to allow downgrading if they won’t. Until they do something right when it comes to this I will recommend people to never update and I will criticize them with the truth.
You probably misunderstood, I think he was referring to battery life, not performance, when he said like-new (but erikkfi might confirm who is right).
Yours are theories, which you cannot prove either, since you don't update the OS in your devices and you have a very limited sample anyway.
And to be precise, I am not saying here that battery life hasn't been impacted at all by updates historically, I have said in the past that standy-by time is worse than it used to be with some older versions of iOS.
What I pointed out is that you keep saying that battery life, even when the battery is new (because it has been replaced), is "very poor" and far worse than it was on the original IOS version, simply because of updates, and therefore recommend everyone to never update the OS.
That's definitely not my experience with my 2015 iPad pro after the battery service and the experience of others who have had a battery service (or who have a battery with very good health (over 95%)).
And while old IOS versions had better standby time, the difference between the various iPadOS version is negligeable and can slightly improve or worsen with any update, and it definitely makes little sense to recommend to people owning an iPad released in the last couple of years to never update the OS just because some old IOS versions had better stand-by time.

Lyrrad

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
If it's a 2018 iPad, remember to pay attention to the date it stopped being sold as new by Apple since that starts the Vintage/Obsolete clock. Vintage iPads may not be able to have a battery "replacement" if Apple doesn't have the parts available and a replacement isn't required by law. It looks like the 11" 2018 Pro was discontinued in March 2020, so you should have over a year before it becomes vintage.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I have a 2018 11" and I am at 661 cycles with 81% according to the analytics logs that Apple provides in the settings app. I used to be able to go a week on a charge (mostly media consumption) and it will go through about 20% in about 45 minutes just watching Youtube. Ill likely upgrade to the next iPad Pro this year if they choose to update.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

What I pointed out is that you keep saying that battery life, even when the battery is new (because it has been replaced), is "very poor" and far worse than it was on the original IOS version, simply because of updates, and therefore recommend everyone to never update the OS.
That's definitely not my experience with my 2015 iPad pro after the battery service and the experience of others who have had a battery service (or who have a battery with very good health (over 95%)).
It’s interesting that the worst updated iPads I’ve seen are 1st and 2nd-gen iPad Pros. From the numbers I’ve seen, light users get, after replacement, about 7 hours of screen-on time. Degraded batteries are unusable. That’s very far from iOS 10. 7 hours may be usable (and you have a rare usage pattern because of how many devices you have, in which standby time takes precedence, and not only that... like you said, standby time is still poor when updated), but it’s not amazing, especially considering that batteries on iPads can realistically be replaced once. As battery health drops again, the device is gone after Apple stops replacing it. So it isn’t even a solution. If you have a screenshot of a 1st-gen iPad Pro on iPadOS 16 with iOS 9-like screen-on time, I’d love to see it.

This has been a frequent occurrence: degraded batteries are so bad when updated that when users replace the batteries they think they have amazing battery life. The reality is that they don’t remember how good the original iOS version actually was. This has happened with many iPhone Xʀ users, even. “I replaced the battery! I went from unusable SOT to 6-7 hours with light use on Wi-Fi and indoor brightness! Battery life is great on iOS 17, you don’t know what you’re taking about”. I get 16, what do you mean when you say that 7 is good? 7 is abhorrent. But they don’t remember how iOS 12 was like, so they think it’s good. They get 4-5 on cellular, and inevitably, invariably, when I mention this, the reply doesn’t vary: “well, the phone is almost 6 years old, what do you expect?”

Likewise with iPads.

And while old IOS versions had better standby time, the difference between the various iPadOS version is negligeable and can slightly improve or worsen with any update, and it definitely makes little sense to recommend to people owning an iPad released in the last couple of years to never update the OS just because some old IOS versions had better stand-by time.
You say you don’t have high SOT... have you actually tested your devices outside of standby? Like I said, do you have a screenshot of any iPad that’s old enough with a like-new SOT after replacement?

Just to be clear: the only comparison I care about is with the original iOS version. It’s irrelevant if iPadOS 15 is better than 13 on a 1st-gen Pro, or if iOS 12 is better than iOS 11. It has to match iOS 9. And I don’t think anyone can produce a screenshot showing iOS 9-like numbers on a 1st-gen iPad Pro on iPadOS 16 - with replaced batteries or otherwise. I’m open to seeing one, of course.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It’s interesting that the worst updated iPads I’ve seen are 1st and 2nd-gen iPad Pros. From the numbers I’ve seen, light users get, after replacement, about 7 hours of screen-on time. Degraded batteries are unusable. That’s very far from iOS 10. 7 hours may be usable (and you have a rare usage pattern because of how many devices you have, in which standby time takes precedence, and not only that... like you said, standby time is still poor when updated), but it’s not amazing, especially considering that batteries on iPads can realistically be replaced once. As battery health drops again, the device is gone after Apple stops replacing it. So it isn’t even a solution. If you have a screenshot of a 1st-gen iPad Pro on iPadOS 16 with iOS 9-like screen-on time, I’d love to see it.

This has been a frequent occurrence: degraded batteries are so bad when updated that when users replace the batteries they think they have amazing battery life. The reality is that they don’t remember how good the original iOS version actually was. This has happened with many iPhone Xʀ users, even. “I replaced the battery! I went from unusable SOT to 6-7 hours with light use on Wi-Fi and indoor brightness! Battery life is great on iOS 17, you don’t know what you’re taking about”. I get 16, what do you mean when you say that 7 is good? 7 is abhorrent. But they don’t remember how iOS 12 was like, so they think it’s good. They get 4-5 on cellular, and inevitably, invariably, when I mention this, the reply doesn’t vary: “well, the phone is almost 6 years old, what do you expect?”

Likewise with iPads.

You say you don’t have high SOT... have you actually tested your devices outside of standby? Like I said, do you have a screenshot of any iPad that’s old enough with a like-new SOT after replacement?

Just to be clear: the only comparison I care about is with the original iOS version. It’s irrelevant if iPadOS 15 is better than 13 on a 1st-gen Pro, or if iOS 12 is better than iOS 11. It has to match iOS 9. And I don’t think anyone can produce a screenshot showing iOS 9-like numbers on a 1st-gen iPad Pro on iPadOS 16 - with replaced batteries or otherwise. I’m open to seeing one, of course.
You really didn't get one of the points I made and keep talking about iOS 9....
Old iOS versions had better standby time and somewhat better screen on time, but that was the PAST.
So your "theory" of the "original OS version is miles better than any subsequent OS version in terms of battery life" is totally groundless now.
You buy a device on iPadOS 14 for instance, whether you update it or not, standby time, and battery life in general, is hardly impacted, and battery health degradation has essentially the same impact on iPadOS 14, 15, 15, 17...
That's the reality, and you keep repeting your theory with no first hand proof other that your selective bias when you read comments and only keep track of what kind of suits your theory (but while you have no proof yourself you ask for scientif proof from others here to prove wrong a theory you have zero data about)

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
You really didn't get one of the points I made and keep talking about iOS 9....
Old iOS versions had better standby time and somewhat better screen on time, but that was the PAST.
I’ll omit the “somewhat” because it isn’t. My 9.7-inch iPad Pro is already 25% worse in terms of battery life on iOS 12 when compared to iOS 9, after Apple forced it out. An iPadOS 16 model is abhorrent, but okay.
So your "theory" of the "original OS version is miles better than any subsequent OS version in terms of battery life" is totally groundless now.
You buy a device on iPadOS 14 for instance, whether you update it or not, standby time, and battery life in general, is hardly impacted, and battery health degradation has essentially the same impact on iPadOS 14, 15, 15, 17...
Those are probably too new. The Air 5 debuted on iPadOS 15, I have mine there, but iPadOS 17 isn’t enough obliteration yet. Time will tell whether M1 iPads are also destroyed, but there are two categories: iPads that have been destroyed by updates (I’d say every iPad released before 2018, because I haven’t seen any data about the 3rd-gen iPad Pro, but presumably that’s included too, since the iPhone Xʀ has been severely affected. OP also claims it’s a lot worse); and iPads that will be destroyed by updates (everything else, unless Apple changes something).
That's the reality, and you keep repeting your theory with no first hand proof other that your selective bias when you read comments and only keep track of what kind of suits your theory (but while you have no proof yourself you ask for scientif proof from others here to prove wrong a theory you have zero data about)
I ask for a screenshot. If battery life were so good on updated devices, users wouldn’t be so reluctant to share their battery life. I’ve shared mine, for every device. I’ve shared what I got on iOS 9 and what I get on iOS 12, I’ve shared iPhone Xʀ screenshots. I have no intention of either defending or criticizing Apple for nothing. If it’s good, I’ll say it. If it’s poor, I’ll say it too.

I’ve tested an iPhone 8 on iOS 14. It’s the only iOS device I’ve tested that after three iOS updates, battery life was like-new. I would recommend any iPhone 8 user that struggles with compatibility on iOS 11 to update to iOS 14. But not 16. 16 is poor. Like I said, they always push too far. But if it’s good I’ll say it, I have no problems with that.

Also, everyone keeps misunderstanding this. It’s not “every iOS version is worse than the one that preceded it”, it’s “Apple keeps pushing devices way more than they should, so that eventually, devices are significantly worse WHEN COMPARED TO THE ORIGINAL VERSION”. I don’t care if iOS 14 is better than 13 on the 6s, because it’s worse than iOS 9. I don’t care if iOS 14 is as good as iOS 11 on the iPhone 8, because iOS 16 is a lot worse.

iOS 13 on the Xʀ is good. iOS 14 is good. iOS 15 is good. iOS 16 isn’t, iOS 17 is significantly worse. They always push too far.

On iPads, since this thread is about iPad battery replacements, the case remains. Apple offers a battery replacement that can only happen once, then the device degrades again and battery life goes from “significantly worse when compared to the original iOS version, but somewhat usable” to “permanently unusable”, and henceforth isn’t a viable solution.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
OP, can you please share a screenshot of the battery life of your 3rd-gen iPad Pro?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I’ll omit the “somewhat” because it isn’t. My 9.7-inch iPad Pro is already 25% worse in terms of battery life on iOS 12 when compared to iOS 9, after Apple forced it out. An iPadOS 16 model is abhorrent, but okay.

Those are probably too new. The Air 5 debuted on iPadOS 15, I have mine there, but iPadOS 17 isn’t enough obliteration yet. Time will tell whether M1 iPads are also destroyed, but there are two categories: iPads that have been destroyed by updates (I’d say every iPad released before 2018, because I haven’t seen any data about the 3rd-gen iPad Pro, but presumably that’s included too, since the iPhone Xʀ has been severely affected. OP also claims it’s a lot worse); and iPads that will be destroyed by updates (everything else, unless Apple changes something).

I ask for a screenshot. If battery life were so good on updated devices, users wouldn’t be so reluctant to share their battery life. I’ve shared mine, for every device. I’ve shared what I got on iOS 9 and what I get on iOS 12, I’ve shared iPhone Xʀ screenshots. I have no intention of either defending or criticizing Apple for nothing. If it’s good, I’ll say it. If it’s poor, I’ll say it too.

I’ve tested an iPhone 8 on iOS 14. It’s the only iOS device I’ve tested that after three iOS updates, battery life was like-new. I would recommend any iPhone 8 user that struggles with compatibility on iOS 11 to update to iOS 14. But not 16. 16 is poor. Like I said, they always push too far. But if it’s good I’ll say it, I have no problems with that.

Also, everyone keeps misunderstanding this. It’s not “every iOS version is worse than the one that preceded it”, it’s “Apple keeps pushing devices way more than they should, so that eventually, devices are significantly worse WHEN COMPARED TO THE ORIGINAL VERSION”. I don’t care if iOS 14 is better than 13 on the 6s, because it’s worse than iOS 9. I don’t care if iOS 14 is as good as iOS 11 on the iPhone 8, because iOS 16 is a lot worse.

iOS 13 on the Xʀ is good. iOS 14 is good. iOS 15 is good. iOS 16 isn’t, iOS 17 is significantly worse. They always push too far.

On iPads, since this thread is about iPad battery replacements, the case remains. Apple offers a battery replacement that can only happen once, then the device degrades again and battery life goes from “significantly worse when compared to the original iOS version, but somewhat usable” to “permanently unusable”, and henceforth isn’t a viable solution.
again theories with no first hand experience and no actual proof....16 isn't good, 17 is significantly worse...
Well it isn't, it's just you saying that based on selective bias. And stop asking for screenshots when you can't provide any comparitive one yourself.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
again theories with no first hand experience and no actual proof....16 isn't good, 17 is significantly worse...
Well it isn't, it's just you saying that based on selective bias. And stop asking for screenshots when you can't provide any comparitive one yourself.
That’s the whole point, I can, and I do:

If it’s poor, I’ll say it. If it’s great, like on the iPhone 8 on iOS 14, I’ll say that, too.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
That’s the whole point, I can, and I do:

If it’s poor, I’ll say it. If it’s great, like on the iPhone 8 on iOS 14, I’ll say that, too.
Nobody cares about the difference between IOS 9 and 12 at this point, people have moved on. You know perfectly well that I was talking about iPadOS but again you don't listen to people if you doesn't suit your theory, just like those flat earthers or other conspirary theorists ("unless I go myself to space and check that the earth is not flat I won't believe it", but they never go to space themselves anyway, so they'll never believe)

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Nobody cares about the difference between IOS 9 and 12 at this point, people have moved on. You know perfectly well that I was talking about iPadOS but again you don't listen to people if you doesn't suit your theory, just like those flat earthers or other conspirary theorists ("unless I go myself to space and check that the earth is not flat I won't believe it", but they never go to space themselves anyway, so they'll never believe)
“It’s not relevant if iPadOS 16 is worse than iOS 9, too old. It’s not relevant if iOS 12 is worse than iOS 9. It’s not relevant if the iPad Pro 9.7 has been obliterated because it’s too old. It doesn’t matter if the 3rd-gen iPad Pro has been severely affected, because it debuted with iOS 12, which is too old. It only matters if the device is new enough so that it hasn’t been obliterated yet, so look, my M2 iPad Pro debuted on iPadOS 16 and it runs iPadOS 17 impeccably”.

What kind of argument is that?!

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
“It’s not relevant if iPadOS 16 is worse than iOS 9, too old. It’s not relevant if iOS 12 is worse than iOS 9. It’s not relevant if the iPad Pro 9.7 has been obliterated because it’s too old. It doesn’t matter if the 3rd-gen iPad has been severely affected, because it debuted with iOS 12, which is too old. It only matters if the device is new enough so that it hasn’t been obliterated yet, so look, my M2 iPad Pro debuted on iPadOS 16 and it runs iPadOS 17 impeccably”.

What kind of argument is that?!
3rd gen iPad is from 2012, 3r gen pro hasn't been severely affected, it's fine and I have several of them, and it's a device from over 5 years ago.... Sure use the example of M2 to try and make your point. Again, like talking to a conspiracy theorist, will never listen and manipulate what other people say in order try and make their point.
I am only here to warn people against the misinformation you are spreading, not to try to convince you....

Reactions: chrfr

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
3rd gen iPad is from 2012, 3r gen pro hasn't been severely affected, it's fine and I have several of them, and it's a device from over 5 years ago.... Sure use the example of M2 to try and make your point. Again, like talking to a conspiracy theorist, will never listen and manipulate what other people say in order try and make their point.
I am only here to warn people against the misinformation you are spreading, not to try to convince you....
Sorry, I meant 3rd-gen iPad Pro. And there “it’s a device from 5 years ago”. Why should that matter? My iPhone Xʀ is from 2018 too and it’s amazing.

I’m not manipulating anything. If we are going to shrink the parameters to ”the device has to be new enough AND the device has to have been obliterated”, then no iPad ever will meet those conditions.

So I will ask for maximum clarity, what is your point? You mentioned only speaking about iPadOS. Which iPadOS versions and on which devices?

I have the facts very clear, I just want to help people so that they stop falling into the “my device is old and therefore has to be garbage” trap that is so ubiquitous. Or so that they spreading the misinformation that goes “if you replace the battery then battery life is perfect again”. As long as Apple doesn’t force my devices out of their original versions (like they did with my 9.7-inch iPad Pro), Apple can obliterate every iOS device into complete uselessness, I don’t really care. My devices will be fine, and many family members have listened to me and therefore have amazing devices which aren’t the latest. The rest? It’s their choice, if they want obliterated devices then it’s okay, nobody has to do what I say. I find it… funny when people arrive with their two-hour battery life on their 7-year-old iPad and try to justify it by saying it’s old. I share my almost 11-hour SOT, 7-year-old iPad with the original battery and they’re “wow, was it really that good?”, and I say “no, it was better before Apple forced it out of iOS 9”.

I just want to help. Users who update far enough suffer the consequences, I don’t, so I don’t really care, as long as Apple doesn’t take that choice away from me like they did back in 2019. Apple can destroy the iPhone Xʀ on iOS 18 into uselessness with 3 hours of SOT on iOS 18. I don’t care. “I get 16 on iOS 12, better luck with your next iPhone and that update button. I tried to help”.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Sorry, I meant 3rd-gen iPad Pro. And there “it’s a device from 5 years ago”. Why should that matter? My iPhone Xʀ is from 2018 too and it’s amazing.

I’m not manipulating anything. If we are going to shrink the parameters to ”the device has to be new enough AND the device has to have been obliterated”, then no iPad ever will meet those conditions.

So I will ask for maximum clarity, what is your point? You mentioned only speaking about iPadOS. Which iPadOS versions and on which devices?

I have the facts very clear, I just want to help people so that they stop falling into the “my device is old and therefore has to be garbage” trap that is so ubiquitous. Or so that they spreading the misinformation that goes “if you replace the battery then battery life is perfect again”. As long as Apple doesn’t force my devices out of their original versions (like they did with my 9.7-inch iPad Pro), Apple can obliterate every iOS device into complete uselessness, I don’t really care. My devices will be fine, and many family members have listened to me and therefore have amazing devices which aren’t the latest. The rest? It’s their choice, if they want obliterated devices then it’s okay, nobody has to do what I say. I find it… funny when people arrive with their two-hour battery life on their 7-year-old iPad and try to justify it by saying it’s old. I share my almost 11-hour SOT, 7-year-old iPad with the original battery and they’re “wow, was it really that good?”, and I say “no, it was better before Apple forced it out of iOS 9”.

I just want to help. Users who update far enough suffer the consequences, I don’t, so I don’t really care, as long as Apple doesn’t take that choice away from me like they did back in 2019. Apple can destroy the iPhone Xʀ on iOS 18 into uselessness with 3 hours of SOT on iOS 18. I don’t care. “I get 16 on iOS 12, better luck with your next iPhone and that update button. I tried to help”.
My point? I said it earlier, it's not to convince you, it's to warn people against the misinformation you are spreading.
Yours are just assumptions, projecting past experience into current and future reality.
Updating iPadOS won't obliterate anything and will let people benefit from new features and app compatibility (and security too, although on iPad security is not as important as on desktops OSs).
Following your theory would mean turning iPads into devices with no software support, like some Chinese Android tablets that never receive updates.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
My point? I said it earlier, it's not to convince you, it's to warn people against the misinformation you are spreading.
Yours are just assumptions, projecting past experience into current and future reality.
Updating iPadOS won't obliterate anything and will let people benefit from new features and app compatibility (and security too, although on iPad security is not as important as on desktops OSs).
Following your theory would mean turning iPads into devices with no software support, like some Chinese Android tablets that never receive updates.
Again, which iPadOS versions on which iPads? Battery replacements are necessary for some iPads to be usable, and that’s absolutely sad.

Not following my theory means the current standard: millions of iPads reduced into unfixable uselessness with their owners desperate to upgrade. My “theory“ has drawbacks which are untenable for many. I admit that.

Like I said, I don’t care if they do that, it’s just too bad when somebody running an older version of iOS encounters some compatibility problem on an older iPad and people recommend the absolutely nonsensical solution of “replace the battery and update iOS, mine is fine“. Yours isn’t fine, and that’s just misinformation. If people were truthful with their descriptions, I wouldn’t criticize their recommendation. That isn’t a recommendation. That’s misinformation.

A battery replacement, when the iPad is updated far enough, helps relative to the same updated version with a degraded battery, falls short when compared to the original version, and battery health is irrelevant when it isn’t updated. Any recommendation to update without those caveats is misinformation, any advice about battery replacements is incorrect. People can do whatever they like except for offering misleading advice.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Again, which iPadOS versions on which iPads? Battery replacements are necessary for some iPads to be usable, and that’s absolutely sad.

Not following my theory means the current standard: millions of iPads reduced into unfixable uselessness with their owners desperate to upgrade. My “theory“ has drawbacks which are untenable for many. I admit that.

Like I said, I don’t care if they do that, it’s just too bad when somebody running an older version of iOS encounters some compatibility problem on an older iPad and people recommend the absolutely nonsensical solution of “replace the battery and update iOS, mine is fine“. Yours isn’t fine, and that’s just misinformation. If people were truthful with their descriptions, I wouldn’t criticize their recommendation. That isn’t a recommendation. That’s misinformation.

A battery replacement, when the iPad is updated far enough, helps relative to the same updated version with a degraded battery, falls short when compared to the original version, and battery health is irrelevant when it isn’t updated. Any recommendation to update without those caveats is misinformation, any advice about battery replacements is incorrect. People can do whatever they like except for offering misleading advice.
yeah sure, I am misleading, while you helping people, amen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.