Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
No purpose except charging extra money for more RAM and storage.

Its funny that people paying more for the Pro because its having “better” speaker… all the iPads having good sound for what they are, and you want better sound, use quality headphones, not AirPods, or external speakers.

Larger display - 12.9".

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I see. So Apple makes complex products which only special people can use. They aren’t computers “for the rest of us” any longer.
Do not put words I’m my mouth.
Has nothing to do with “special people”, it is simply some people do need (or feel they need) the Pro models, while some people just know they don’t need them and can save some money.
Having a Pro model does not place any person above any other.

• Love
Reactions: orbital~debris

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Do not put words I’m my mouth.
Has nothing to do with “special people”, it is simply some people do need (or feel they need) the Pro models, while some people just know they don’t need them and can save some money.
Having a Pro model does not place any person above any other.
Not putting words in your mouth. You said, ”If you need to ask, you probably don’t need one.”

That‘s a rude thing to say, and it is false.

Reactions: cmcbhi

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
I second about pro-motion.

But in my case, I require cellular and the air with cellular was only 50 francs less than the pro with it, I figured that double the memory and a better screen wasn't such a bad deal.

PS: I also considered the possibility of the odd Lidar enabled 3D scan being that I use a 13 mini.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alameda

tcphoto1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Nashville, TN
I owned a couple iPads and upgraded to a used third generation iPad Pro 11” because I wanted high resolution, better speakers, Face ID and larger storage. I’ve owned it for a few month and am happy with my decision.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
I owned a couple iPads and upgraded to a used third generation iPad Pro 11” because I wanted high resolution, better speakers, Face ID and larger storage. I’ve owned it for a few month and am happy with my decision.
It’s funny… I had thought that the purpose of the Pro versions was to support video and RAW photo editing, but this doesn’t seem to the the clear case among people here.

The impression I had was that the non-Pro models are fine for consuming content, but not for producing (editing) photo/video content. As a photographer, lugging my MacBook Pro is a lot of weight.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Not putting words in your mouth. You said, ”If you need to ask, you probably don’t need one.”

That‘s a rude thing to say, and it is false.
What I said was not rude, but fact.
I’m out of of this thread and your petulance.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It’s funny… I had thought that the purpose of the Pro versions was to support video and RAW photo editing, but this doesn’t seem to the the clear case among people here.

The impression I had was that the non-Pro models are fine for consuming content, but not for producing (editing) photo/video content. As a photographer, lugging my MacBook Pro is a lot of weight.
yep you started with what turned out to be a wrong assumption. As mentioned already, the iPad pro is no longer (meaningfully) more powerful than the air, it's just more premium with better screen, speakers and more base storage and storage options, so yes it's not a better editing device, unless you need a larger screen, but even that is going to change soon with the by now almost certain arrival of the 12.9" air in addition to the 10.9 in the Spring, so in the end it's a better consumption device (although the larger storage and RAM options can make it more "confortable" for editing).

Reactions: Alameda

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

Yes correct, both Pro and Air have the same CPU & RAM now.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It depends, but notwithstanding the enormous bezels, the package proportions are one of the most compelling IMHO.
Yes. It depends on what you value. Compared to the iPad Pros the Mini does not have a better display, better speakers, wider keyboard/case selection, better microphones, larger SSD or RAM options, better Pencil features (no hover), faster USB-C, or better 5G. What it does have is the smallest size and price. Therefore the Mini is only better than the iPad Pros if you prioritize its small size or price over all those other things.

Last edited:

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
Yes. It depends on what you value. Compared to the iPad Pros the Mini does not have a better display, better speakers, wider keyboard/case selection, better microphones, larger SSD or RAM options, better Pencil features (no hover), faster USB-C, or better 5G. What it does have is the smallest size and price. Therefore the Mini is only better than the iPad Pros if you prioritize its small size or price over all those other things.

Sheesh, you sure are right ... But I'll have to retort that at least it won't break my nose when mishandling it reading on my back ... those new iPads have gotten so heavy to make me flinch at times.

• Haha
Reactions: darngooddesign

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I mean I might occasionally watch a short unimportant tv show on my iPad in my kitchen but I don’t feel any different about my m1 iPad Pro versus my old air 2 in regards to audio. If I’m watching video i care about I’ll go watch it on my home theater or at least pop AirPods in
Same. If I'm watching a movie on my iPad, that means I'm on a plane wearing headphones. The only time I actually use the iPad's speakers is if I have a baseball game or something on the iPad's screen while I'm working on my computer, and I don't need the Pro's speakers for that (although I do own the Pro).

But I guess this discussion gets to one of the interesting things about the iPad: different people use it for very different purposes.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Very anecdotal and somewhat niche use case, but as a performing musician and educator, the iPad 12.9 is the best way to digitize and carry around not just music/charts/setlists, etc, but also all teaching materials/books. I know that for many, many musicians, the iPad 12.9 is the best option for screen resolution & size, ease of use for notes/markings when paired with the 2nd gen pencil and an app like ForScore, storage for their "sheet" music needs, and the quad speakers are also a huge help when trying to play a metronome or other accompanying sounds with my students or even in rehearsals with small ensembles. A lot of this work doesn't require the chainsaw processing power of the newer iPads - I'm still using my 12.9 Pro from Sept 2020 and have not felt any need whatsoever for the M chips, but, again, niche use case here.
It's a fantastic device for musicians -- I see them used all the time as sheet music alternatives. Given the disaster that could happen if the iPad were to freeze during a concert, this sometimes amazes me, but it also speaks to how much people trust the reliability of iPadOS.

This also seems like a use-case that begs for a larger iPad -- 16" would be heavy but would work really well for performers.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
It's a fantastic device for musicians -- I see them used all the time as sheet music alternatives. Given the disaster that could happen if the iPad were to freeze during a concert, this sometimes amazes me, but it also speaks to how much people trust the reliability of iPadOS.

This also seems like a use-case that begs for a larger iPad -- 16" would be heavy but would work really well for performers.
My wife is in an experimental music duo and she and the other person both use iPads as one of their instruments. He uses a 12.9" Pro and she uses the mini 6. I think musicians of any kind could find any size iPad useful really. They both even run LogicPro!

But yes, I also see a lot of people using the 12.9" models as sheet music. I was a professional musician myself in a former life, but iPads weren't a thing back then unfortunately. :( Would have been so cool to have all my music for all my college ensembles and recitals on an iPad instead of in my 8,000 lb. backpack with all my other stuff that could have also been on an iPad.

Reactions: DaPhox

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I remember performing pieces in which my part required three side-by-side music stands and still required some crazy page turns. I imagine I would do that now with a single 12.9" iPad Pro and a foot pedal. That said, I probably would have found it necessary to have a backup iPad on the stand as well, just in case.

Very cool about your wife's duo. I'd probably be amazed by what she and her colleague could do.

Reactions: spiderman0616

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Same. If I'm watching a movie on my iPad, that means I'm on a plane wearing headphones. The only time I actually use the iPad's speakers is if I have a baseball game or something on the iPad's screen while I'm working on my computer, and I don't need the Pro's speakers for that (although I do own the Pro).

But I guess this discussion gets to one of the interesting things about the iPad: different people use it for very different purposes.
I use my pro’s speakers to play music next to me while I’m sitting on my bed enjoying some good quality reefer lmao. Legal in Ohio now! I also lay in bed and use the speakers with something streaming, sitting on my nightstand. I’ll use my AirPods if anyone is with me and requires silence. I’m too poor to go on a plane because I used all my money on this iPad haha

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I remember performing pieces in which my part required three side-by-side music stands and still required some crazy page turns. I imagine I would do that now with a single 12.9" iPad Pro and a foot pedal. That said, I probably would have found it necessary to have a backup iPad on the stand as well, just in case.

Very cool about your wife's duo. I'd probably be amazed by what she and her colleague could do.
I played a duet w someone in college once where the music was just too much for me to memorize, so I had to tape 8 sheets of music together and put them on 3 music stands and flip the whole thing over halfway through. UGH! :)

Reactions: bluespark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.