Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Made lasagna and garlic bread last night. Tonight is tacos. Hard shells and soft white corn tortillas for everyone who wants them.

Reactions: kazmac

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well lunch today was at a "take-out" pasta place that serves simple pasta boxes (with de Cecco pasta) and a choice of 6 sauces and a special. Took pipe rigate with the in-house pesto. Yummy.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Like a pasta bar? I've heard of those. There's a from scratch pasta place here, I believe, owned by a small Italian family. After they received some air time on a famous YouTube channel, they got more patrons which allowed them to expand. Must try them out soon.

There's also a good Italian place by the coastline I've been wanting to try out for a few years now.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yesterday's dinner, was an excellent serving of haddock (in a light batter), chips, and mushy (or pureed) peas in a hotel pub, shortly before I was due to deliver a presentation to a local history society in the library next door. Very tasty and very welcome.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Tonight will be Yuan Salmon, medium grain rice and kimchi.

If you'd like to have some Yuan Salmon yourself, here's the simple as can be recipe.

marinade:

5 TBS mirin
3 TBS Japanese Soy Sauce
2 TBS Sake
1/2 a Persian Lime

Add all ingredients together (juice the lime) and mix. Add to, or mix in a shallow baking dish.
Add your salmon fillets and marinate them for 15 minutes or so.
Cook them in a hot pan or even on a grill till they reach your desired level of doneness (don't overcook them! Dry fish sucks!). If you do it in a hot pan, make sure you use a neutral oil. The sugars in the mirin will help them get some nice colour. Sprinkle a nice finishing salt on the fillets and serve! Serve with rice and/or Japanese pickles.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Tonight will be Yuan Salmon, medium grain rice and kimchi.

If you'd like to have some Yuan Salmon yourself, here's the simple as can be recipe.

marinade:

5 TBS mirin
3 TBS Japanese Soy Sauce
2 TBS Sake
1/2 a Persian Lime

Add all ingredients together (juice the lime) and mix. Add to, or mix in a shallow baking dish.
Add your salmon fillets and marinate them for 15 minutes or so.
Cook them in a hot pan or even on a grill till they reach your desired level of doneness (don't overcook them! Dry fish sucks!). If you do it in a hot pan, make sure you use a neutral oil. The sugars in the mirin will help them get some nice colour. Sprinkle a nice finishing salt on the fillets and serve! Serve with rice and/or Japanese pickles.

Sounds delicious, and thanks for sharing the recipe.

Reactions: RootBeerMan

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
This was supposed to be for dinner but went there for lunch instead. If you are in Taipei and like Chinese or Taiwanese food then you must visit this restaurant. Not cheap but not expensive either. Mostly the upper class people here come for lunch or dinner. Food is authentic and good. Not just good but really good. Just about everything here is great. Chicken was amazing. This place in Taipei off of Zhongshiao East Road section 4
IMG_20191025_130001.jpg IMG_20191025_125958.jpg IMG_20191025_130120.jpg IMG_20191025_130032.jpg IMG_20191025_130113.jpg IMG_20191025_132022.jpg IMG_20191025_130149.jpg IMG_20191025_131930.jpg IMG_20191025_132014.jpg IMG_20191025_131726.jpg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This was supposed to be for dinner but went there for lunch instead. If you are in Taipei and like Chinese or Taiwanese food then you must visit this restaurant. Not cheap but not expensive either. Mostly the upper class people here come for lunch or dinner. Food is authentic and good. Not just good but really good. Just about everything here is great. Chicken was amazing. This place in in Taipei off of Zhongshiao East Road section 4
View attachment 872308 View attachment 872309 View attachment 872310 View attachment 872311 View attachment 872312 View attachment 872313 View attachment 872314 View attachment 872315 View attachment 872316 View attachment 872318

Thank you for sharing; those images look positively mouth-watering.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Dinner will take the form of a sort of spicy Portuguese fish stew.

I sautéed three chopped andouille sausages (of a pack of ten prepared by a local butcher for me), until slightly browned, and then removed them from the pan, and set them aside.

Next, several chopped anchovies (and their oil which was added to the olive oil already in the copper pan from the andouille sausages) were dissolved in olive oil, to give a nice umami fish flavour to proceedings.

Once the anchovies dissolved, I added several diced (organic) onions to the pan, where they are now slowly caramelising. A minced head of garlic will be added to that in due course, as will several teaspoons of Spanish paprika (pimentón), both sweet, smoked pimentón and hot pimentón.

That is when I shall add a tablespoonful of tomato puree, and a tin of Italian tomatoes, plus stock, a generous pinch of saffron (already in its water)and a glass of Spanish white wine.

Diced potatoes will be added, and, when they are soft to the point of a knife, the chopped monkfish pieces shall be added to take their place in the casserole for a further 10 or so minutes. That is when the andouille sausage shall return to the dish, and once they have been reheated, and a little butter and lemon juice have been added to the pan, it shall then be served.

Reactions: LizKat and kazmac

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Dinner will take the form of a sort of spicy Portuguese fish stew.

I sautéed three chopped andouille sausages (of a pack of ten prepared by a local butcher for me), until slightly browned, and then removed them from the pan, and set them aside.

Next, several chopped anchovies (and their oil which was added to the olive oil already in the copper pan from the andouille sausages) were dissolved in olive oil, to give a nice umami fish flavour to proceedings.

Once the anchovies dissolved, I added several diced (organic) onions to the pan, where they are now slowly caramelising. A minced head of garlic will be added to that in due course, as will several teaspoons of Spanish paprika (pimentón), both sweet, smoked pimentón and hot pimentón.

That is when I shall add a tablespoonful of tomato puree, and a tin of Italian tomatoes, plus stock, a generous pinch of saffron (already in its water)and a glass of Spanish white wine.

Diced potatoes will be added, and, when they are soft to the point of a knife, the chopped monkfish pieces shall be added to take their place in the casserole for a further 10 or so minutes. That is when the andouille sausage shall return to the dish, and once they have been reheated, and a little butter and lemon juice have been added to the pan, it shall then be served.

Dinner was absolutely delicious, warming, soothing and gloriously spicy.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The potatoes boulangère are in the oven.

This dish involves slicing potatoes very, very thinly, and then layering them (and seasoning each layer) - with onions, also thinly sliced - on a buttered dish to which stock is added.

Today, I added an extra twist, whereby I gently sautéed the thinly sliced onions (and seven fat cloves of thinly sliced garlic) before layering them with the potatoes.

The dish is finished off with a layer of potatoes (thinly sliced) at the top; little dots of butter are added towhees, and they poke out a little from the stock, like the peaks of mountains, which means that the top layer of potatoes gets browned.

I shall take a look at them presently, in an hour or so.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The potatoes boulangère are in the oven.

This dish involves slicing potatoes very, very thinly, and then layering them (and seasoning each layer) - with onions, also thinly sliced - on a buttered dish to which stock is added.

Today, I added an extra twist, whereby I gently sautéed the thinly sliced onions (and seven fat cloves of thinly sliced garlic) before layering them with the potatoes.

The dish is finished off with a layer of potatoes (thinly sliced) at the top; little dots of butter are added towhees, and they poke out a little from the stock, like the peaks of mountains, which means that the top layer of potatoes gets browned.

I shall take a look at them presently, in an hour or so.

After an hour or so, the heat in the oven was reduced from around 200 C to 180 C, and a few more little dabs of butter added to the browning potatoes.

A few minutes ago, I reduced the heat further, and added a little grated cheese: A mxyture of grated Comte, and grated Douruval. This should melt in around five minutes or so.

In a copper sauté pan, the andouille sausages are browning beautiful. Dinner should be served shortly.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I found a nice German restaurant in Bangkok. Was craving some German food while in Bangkok so I decided to give this place a try for dinner. Was not too shabby although I was not a fan of the onions in the Creamed Spinach. The veal sausage was really good. The lamb shank was very soft tender.

9C781FA2-5236-4357-BD8A-6FC960D1BFEF.jpeg BD97BDD8-0FC6-4C47-9F6A-A4EF5E1F496A.jpeg BD1609F8-02C8-4393-8D3A-B7DB2D8082B2.jpeg

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
It’s been open season on chili this week, and ordered in once. Ordering in is so expensive. I nearly stopped for Peking Duck at a favorite Chinese restaurant this past Sunday but passed on it at the last moment.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
It’s been open season on chili this week, and ordered in once. Ordering in is so expensive. I nearly stopped for Peking Duck at a favorite Chinese restaurant this past Sunday but passed on it at the last moment.
Depending on where you live that Peking Duck can be expensive. I love Peking Duck. Where that Peking Duck came from and what it was fed has quite a bit of effect on how that Peking Duck meat ends up tasting.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Depending on where you live that Peking Duck can be expensive. I love Peking Duck. Where that Peking Duck came from and what it was fed has quite a bit of effect on how that Peking Duck meat ends up tasting.

Minneapolis. It’s very good. Almost as good as in Beijing...almost.

Reactions: stylinexpat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Ordering in is expensive, agreed, but as a fortnightly treat on a filthy day, well worth it, to my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutwrench

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Dinner shall take the form of a take on frittata:

Six eggs (organic, free range) were broken into a bowl and whisked; ground sea salt and freshly ground black pepper were added; then, a few tablespoons of full fat organic milk, and raw, organic double cream were both added and whisked into the egg mixture. At that point, I added some grated cheese - in this instance, Grana Padano, though any cheddar style cheese would suffice equally well.

Elsewhere, I sautéed some diced pancetta and a diced andouille sausage, then removed them from the pan.

Next, a finely chopped onion was softened in that same pan, after which I added several chopped cherry tomatoes, and a large cup (two thirds of a Le Creuset mug) of frozen peas. Once these are softened up, and cooked down, the already sautéed meats (diced pancetta and diced sausage) shall be returned to the pan, whereupon the egg mixture shall be added to everything else.

Then, that is when it shall head into the pre-heated oven for around 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: anika200
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.