Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Last night was store bought frozen (asian) dumplings. Not much quality just quick sustenance.

Any Asian dumplings are welcome at my table, but I readily concede that some are far better than others.

I recall the first time I had wonton soup in a Chinese restaurant.

Sigh. I nearly devoured the actual plate, spoon urgently scraping the bottom of the bowl and hungrily hunting the last drops of that nectar.

I'd happily have some version of this daily. And, hot and sour soups are another favourite.......

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes still runny, unless you cook it over medium or well:

Perfect fried eggs

Yes it's odd to find instructions on how to fry eggs, one of the easiest (I would have thought) recipes to prepare.

Yes, they are pretty easy to prepare, agreed, but the terminology used when cooking and serving them differs from country to country.

However, as with many "supposedly easy" recipes, it is also awfully easy to make a complete mess of things hone frying eggs; easting out, I've had more poor ones that good ones.

So, in the US, his do you specify that you want "eggs over easy" with a liquid (or runny) yolk? Do have have to add that you would prefer them over medium, or well done, or simply omit that?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
A nice roast chicken with a medley of snow peas and red pepper accompanied by a tasty Zinfandel, followed an hour later by a couple of pieces of 80% dark chocolate.

Reactions: LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A nice roast chicken with a medley of snow peas and red pepper accompanied by a tasty Zinfandel, followed an hour later by a couple of pieces of 80% dark chocolate.

Sounds delicious.

Fried eggs, - we had been discussing the preparation of fried eggs on this very thread - sautéed eggs, (dead easy, and quite delicious) - the eggs were free range and organic, and olive oil and an Italian copper sauté pan was used.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Sautéed shrimp tonight. Also purchased some avacadoes, but they are too hard for today’s meal.
Shrimp...yum. Avocados are always hit and miss I find. Love them but sometimes I find they are bad inside or just difficult to get them to ripen.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Shrimp...yum. Avocados are always hit and miss I find. Love them but sometimes I find they are bad inside or just difficult to get them to ripen.
With shrimp, our grocery store has several varieties of shrimp including Gulf shrimp. But lately I’ve been buying the pre-peeled that comes from Australia, because they are a lot less work. I wish all the shrimp were pre-peeled.

Our luck with avocados is mostly good, I still remember the avocado deal we got at a roadside stand near San Diego, that never softened. Only 37 years ago, my first lesson in avocado buying. ;)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Any Asian dumplings are welcome at my table, but I readily concede that some are far better than others.

I recall the first time I had wonton soup in a Chinese restaurant.

Sigh. I nearly devoured the actual plate, spoon urgently scraping the bottom of the bowl and hungrily hunting the last drops of that nectar.

I'd happily have some version of this daily. And, hot and sour soups are another favourite.......
Yes I am also a wonton soup fan. Never had the shrimp wonton soup though. My favorite includes seaweed in the broth.

No idea what's cooking tonight, probably chicken. Made the mistake of buying pre-made zucchini noodles. The chef did not separate the gross seed pulp from the noodles, so after spending 15 minutes trying to do this and not removing all of it, I took 3 bites and tossed it.

This is why it takes me an hour to make the zucchini "pasta" for mom and I. I thoroughly separate the seed pulp from the strands. It's a messy job, but so worth it. So I will not buy those again.

I resorted to a muffin, two apples, a green juice and water for brunch. ?

Anyway, I will be happy to eat dinner. ?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes I am also a wonton soup fan. Never had the shrimp wonton soup though. My favorite includes seaweed in the broth.

No idea what's cooking tonight, probably chicken. Made the mistake of buying pre-made zucchini noodles. The chef did not separate the gross seed pulp from the noodles, so after spending 15 minutes trying to do this and not removing all of it, I took 3 bites and tossed it.

This is why it takes me an hour to make the zucchini "pasta" for mom and I. I thoroughly separate the seed pulp from the strands. It's a messy job, but so worth it. So I will not buy those again.

I resorted to a muffin, two apples, a green juice and water for brunch. ?

Anyway, I will be happy to eat dinner. ?

Now, I will admit that my mother was always an omnivore - and her appetite was such that she devoured her meals, a proper trencherman (trencherwoman?) who always thoroughly tucked in to whatever was on her plate - whereas my father was a lot more fussy, and picky about what he ate; and, while - nowadays - I could well imagine him as a vegetarian (though never a vegan), we used to tease her that some of her ancestors could well have shared - or channelled - the DNA of a tyrannosaurus rex.

Anyway, she loved chicken (preferably roasted, the Henry VIII look, brandishing thigh bones and drumsticks was her preferred look, long before dementia struck) but adored sausages.

Even with dementia, my mother adored sausages - and I mention that, simply because this may well work with your mother, too.

Sausages go with absolutely everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Now, I will admit that my mother was always an omnivore - and her appetite was such that she devoured her meals, a proper trencherman (trencherwoman?) who always thoroughly tucked in to whatever was on her plate - whereas my father was a lot more fussy, and picky about what he ate; and, while - nowadays - I could well imagine him as a vegetarian (though never a vegan), we used to tease her that some of her ancestors could well have shared the DNA of a tyrannosaurus rex.

Anyway, she loved chicken (preferably roasted, the Henry VIII look, brandishing thigh bones and drumsticks was her preferred look, long before dementia struck) but adored sausages.

Even with dementia, my mother adored sausages - and I mention that, simply because this may well work with your mother, too.

Sausages go with absolutely everything.
Except me...:p

Thank you though.?

Mom did have sausages in the past. And we’re veganing it tonight. Baked potatoes, veggie mix and salad.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Buffet at the Bellagio for dinner. This buffet sure has gone downhill from what it used to be back in the days. Nothing looked appetizing here.:oops: Looked like mass food just to feed the customers looking for all you can eat buffet. Food quality here now is pretty much average at best. I had $100 food credit so I came but I prefer the buffet next door at Caesars Palace a bit more. I walked by the sushi and did not pick one piece up. Sushi did not look fresh or consumable. This was probably the worst sushi I had seen. None of the seafood looked fresh or good. The crabs did not look good either. Tomorrow I will try some other restaurant in this Hotel. Wrong choice for tonight.
IMG_20191105_185625.jpg IMG_20191105_185621.jpg IMG_20191105_185612.jpg IMG_20191105_185605.jpg IMG_20191105_185549.jpg

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Today being Hump Day, we will follow our weekly tradition of going to our local for two or three beverages, then back home to order two delicious pizzas from our around the corner father and son run pizzeria. Two nice Turkish fellows running a good business here in Finland.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I’m not a buffet person, and have never eaten sushi from one. When it comes to sushi and sashimi and their restaurants, I’m pretty picky.

Edit: Come to think of it, I had a Thanksgiving buffet at the Mirage in 1998. It was very good. Endless crab and lobster. I think it was $49 or $69. What made it particularly good was by limited reservation. We were seated in private rooms of maybe 50 people and the buffet was constantly maintained. The crab and lobster were always hot, fresh, and being constantly added. Nothing cold (that wasn’t meant to be), old, no waiting, and no disgusting mess.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Buffet at the Bellagio for dinner. This buffet sure has gone downhill from what it used to be back in the days. Nothing looked appetizing here.:oops: Looked like mass food just to feed the customers looking for all you can eat buffet. Food quality here now is pretty much average at best. I had $100 food credit so I came but I prefer the buffet next door at Caesars Palace a bit more. I walked by the sushi and did not pick one piece up. Sushi did not look fresh or consumable. This was probably the worst sushi I had seen. None of the seafood looked fresh or good. The crabs did not look good either. Tomorrow I will try some other restaurant in this Hotel. Wrong choice for tonight.
View attachment 875232 View attachment 875233 View attachment 875234 View attachment 875235 View attachment 875236

Very disappointing, but a fascinating post.

I’m not a buffet person, and have never eaten sushi from one. When it comes to sushi and sashimi and their restaurants, I’m pretty picky.

Edit: Come to think of it, I had a Thanksgiving buffet at the Mirage in 1998. It was very good. Endless crab and lobster. I think it was $49 or $69.

When offered as a form of breakfast in a good hotel, an enticing and well stocked buffet can be brilliant.

However, both sushi and sashimi need to have been freshly prepared for them to be at their best.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Agreed. I don’t travel much now though. I’ve found a nice breakfast buffet nearby but it’s hit and miss. I’m so lazy anymore I seem to just cook at home.

Actually, a good hotel breakfast buffet is well worth getting up sufficiently early for; sufficiently early to allow yourself plenty of time to avail of the various options laid out, and sufficiently early to allow yourself the time to enjoy eating your plates that have been piled high with this culinary largesse.

Now, a lazy, lacking or downright stingy, hotel breakfast buffet is something to be scorned.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Today being Hump Day, we will follow our weekly tradition of going to our local for two or three beverages, then back home to order two delicious pizzas from our around the corner father and son run pizzeria. Two nice Turkish fellows running a good business here in Finland.
Wow that sounds fun, how are the pizza topped? Cheese, sauce and ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.