Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The most basic roast, cream of mushroom soup, a packet of dry onion soup mix, carrots, and I would have added new potatoes, except I’m going to boil some sweet potatoes to eat with it. I’ll check back in 8 hours. ?

4CF5C4D0-62E7-470D-A4D3-C68805158740.jpeg
My world famous frozen pizza from the store. Haha.

View attachment 777540
Try Costco’s cauliflower crust cheese pizza. It’s really good. I put pepperoni on it. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Meal I could eat every day (and did so for a month to recover from ulcerative colitis it worked great (note: I did not use any Salsa or beans when I had UC)):
Shredded Chicken Burritos.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups no salt added chicken stock (not broth)
- 4 tsp Knorr Chicken Boullion Granuales
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbs Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 Cup Herdez Salsa Verde
- 2 Tbs Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice (About one fresh lime)

Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil and simmer at low for at least one hour. Remove chicken from pot. Shred with forks. Return to pot and bring back to a boil then simmer on another 15 minutes. You can cook this all longer and have more flavor seep in. Just add water as necessary.

Filling:
Guacamole
- Three Ripe Hass Avacado (nearly black and soft) - Florida Avacado also work but they aren't as creamy
- Lime Juice squeezed from one lime
- 3 Tbs Herdez Mild Salsa
- 1/4 tsp Salt

Just mash up and cover until ready to serve. Guacamole does turn brown when exposed to air. You can slow this by sealing the top with plastic wrap against the guacamole.

La Constena Whole Pinto Beans: I just heat up in a small pot. They are already seasoned. Usually two cans.

Kraft Mexican Cheese Blend or a mix of extra sharp cheddar and parmesan

Romaine lettuce chopped

Yellow onion diced

Herdez Salsa Verde and Mild Salsa

Lite Sour Cream

La Banderita Flour Tortilla

This recipe is lower sodium than many of you are probably used to. I'd rather let people add their own salt. I'd consider this meal fairly high in salt. Most stuff I make is much lower sodium.

Favorite meal but I'd get sick of:
Tri Tip Beef (normally I just use Chuck Roast but tri tip is the best, sometimes I substitute pork loin/tenderloin/butt)
- Slow baked in the over at 200F all day
- Marinated the day before with a home made dry rub using an Emeril Lagasse recipe
- Coated with BBQ sauce and wrapped in foil

Sides:
Bushs Grillin Beans - Southern Pit Barbeque
Zucchinni and Yellow squash - marinated in lemon juice, soy sauce and balsamic vinegar
Home Made Biscuits - J.P.'s Big Daddy Biscuits recipe from allrecipes.com
Corn on the cobb -Boiled then rolled in butter

Really there's a lot of meals I prepare which are very good. Turkey, Beef Wellington, Lasagna, beef ribs, burgers, pork roast and so forth. Along with many other Chinese, Italian, Indian, Mexican, French and English dishes. I just couldn't handle them every day. While I love pepperoni pizza. It would give me too much heartburn.
Added this to the (UN)Official Macrumors Recioe Thread. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I sautéed a few chicken thighs (in olive oil and butter), until golden then removed them from the copper sauté pan, setting them aside.

Next, four andouille sausages (already sliced) were lightly browned in that same pan, and then removed and set aside.

Diced onions and shallots were added to the copper pan, - a large plateful - and softened, whereupon ten fat garlic cloves (minced) were added, as was a sliced red bell pepper.

Smoked, sweet Spanish paprika (pimentón) was added and stirred to the onion, garlic and pepper mix. Saffron strands (around a quarter of a teaspoon) in heated water were next added, as was a dessertspoon of tomato puree, a tin of Italian cherry tomatoes, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a half a dessertspoon of organic brown sugar.

Stock was then added, and the chicken and andouille sausage returned to the pan where they will simmer for the next hour or so.

Peas, and file powder shall be added in due course.

Rice (standard long grain rice, already soaking in water) shall then be cooked in the rice cooker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I sautéed a few chicken thighs (in olive oil and butter), until golden hen removed them setting them aside.

Next, four andouille sausages (already sliced) were lightly browned in that sam span, and then removed and set aside.

Diced onions and shallots were added to the copper pan, and softened, whereupon ten fat garlic cloves (minced) were added, as was a sliced red bell pepper.

Smoked, sweet Spanish paprika (pimentón) was added and stirred to the onion, garlic and pepper mix. Saffron strands (around a quarter of a teaspoon) in heated water were next added, as was a dessertspoon of tomato puree, a tin of Italian cherry tomatoes, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a half a dessertspoon of organic brown sugar.

Stock was then added, and the chicken and andouille sausage returned to the pan where they will simmer for the next hour or so.

Peas, and file powder shall be added in due course.

Rice (standard long grain rice, already soaking in water) shall be cooked in the rice cooker.
Sounds delicious!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sounds delicious!

What I had in mind was something akin to a gumbo - as I wanted a rich, warming stock, rather than simply a tasty chicken, sausage and rice dish - when I would have prepared a paella, or something not too dissimilar to a jambalaya - but without having to go to the trouble of preparing a roux.

And yes, actually, it was absolutely delicious.

Not only that, I have seconds for tomorrow.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What I had in mind was something akin to a gumbo - as I wanted a rich, warming stock, rather than simply a tasty chicken, sausage and rice dish - when I would have prepared a paella, or something not too dissimilar to a jambalaya - but without having to go to the trouble of preparing a roux.

And yes, actually, it was absolutely delicious.

Not only that, I have seconds for tomorrow.
Seconds are best because most of the work has already been done. And sometimes seconds can taste even better. :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Seconds are best because most of the work has already been done. And sometimes seconds can taste even better. :)

With stews, casseroles, etc, seconds do taste even better because the flavours have had time to mix, meld, and marry overnight.

So, fresh rice, or perhaps roasted or boiled potatoes, tomorrow.

As you say, the actual work (which did take some time today - but the day was miserable and cold, besides, the prep and cooking kept me gainfully and cheerfully occupied, and I wanted something spicy and soothing and warm), is done; tomorrow, all this needs is to be re-heated.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Made this amazing chili with large chunky chuck steak, ~20 dry seasonings, a few different tomato products, a base of onion, celery, garlic, a little cookoff from browning the steak (it was almost like a roux, like a ), then the mix got __chocolate__, so it's got a bit of a mole flavor, it's tomato based, but very dark, rich, and it's been cooking for 6 hours :D (the house smells incredible)

Then our friend/neighbor brought over a big jar of his famous-around-here crab bisque.

I'll be double bowling tonight :p

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As I had rice left over from yesterday (when I had the seconds of my chicken and andouille sausage dish), I decided to prepare homemade egg fried rice today.

Eggs (free range and organic) were sort of scrambled, then put aside, and chopped roughly; next, very finely diced onions and garlic were sautéed over a high heat until soft, after which a cup of peas were added briefly.

I had forgotten that I didn't have carrots, otherwise, a finely shredded carrot would have joined the other vegetables.

The cooked rice was added to the pan, with the vegetables, and broken up, whereupon the eggs were then returned to the same pan.

After a few minutes, oyster sauce (around two dessertspoons) and soya sauce (two dessertspoons) were added, and, just before serving, a drizzle of sesame oil was poured over the dish.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
As I had rice left over from yesterday (when I had the seconds of my chicken and andouille sausage dish), I decided to prepare homemade egg fried rice today.

Eggs (free range and organic) were sort of scrambled, then put aside, and chopped roughly; next, very finely diced onions and garlic were sautéed over a high heat until soft, after which a cup of peas were added briefly.

I had forgotten that I didn't have carrots, otherwise, a finely shredded carrot would have joined the other vegetables.

The cooked rice was added to the pan, with the vegetables, and broken up, whereupon the eggs were then returned to the same pan.

After a few minutes, oyster sauce (around two dessertspoons) and soya sauce (two dessertspoons) were added, and, just before serving, a drizzle of sesame oil was poured over the dish.
That sounds pretty good, something like we would cook as well. It is a great idea to use up whatever you have on hand and an egg and rice and some sauce. Booma' your best meal in weeks.
I still don't know why we can't work cheese into this thing, too >> ??? Maybe some coconut milk, hmmm.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That sounds pretty good, something like we would cook as well. It is a great idea to use up whatever you have on hand and an egg and rice and some sauce. Booma' your best meal in weeks.
I being American would have added cheese as well, haha.

Well, I was debating preparing the standard classic bacon, egg and sausage, - which I haven't had in an age, and which is a lovely brunch on Sunday, sometimes, but thought to use up the rice as I had all of the ingredients (apart from carrots, which I didn't notice until I went to look for a carrot) readily to hand.

It was very tasty, and I finished it all.

Tomorrow, then, I shall treat myself to fried bacon, egg and sausage (possibly with fried tomatoes, as well).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Dinner was sautéed bacon, and sausage (both bought from the meat stall in the farmers' market, where they sell meat from animals they rear, - ethically and in a manner that is environmentally aware - slaughter and age themselves), plus sautéed tomatoes (organic, also from a different stall in the farmers' market, from people who grew the tomatoes themselves) and eggs (free range and organic), collected from hens owned by one of the stalls in the farmers' market, who also sell vegetables, including tomatoes.

A basic, but classic dish, one that works best when the ingredients are first rate, as they were this evening.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
My favorite Vietnamese restaurant for Bone in Rib Pho with fresh noodles.
You get the better noodles if you ask for fresh noodles. Beef is super tender and falls off of bone.

IMG_20191114_161921.jpg
IMG_20191114_161922.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Pabst Blue Ribbon, left over shredded smoked pork butt in tortilla wrap form with all the imagined fillings and condiments.
Which my favorite is simple pickled onion and daikon radish, pairs well with the deep flavors that formed on the pork butt.

Reactions: Gutwrench

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Scrambled eggs can hit the spot surprisingly often, can't they?

And I have to say that your mother has a point; sometimes, toast (hot, buttered toast) works exceptionally well with scrambled eggs.
Agreed on all.

I think I finally figured the key to making great scrambled eggs, heat up the pan low, slowly melt the butter and cook the eggs on low heat with the lid on.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Agreed on all.

I think I finally figured the key to making great scrambled eggs, heat up the pan low, slowly melt the butter and cook the eggs on low heat with the lid on.
Yes, key is to heat up pan just enough that butter melts then once you see the butter starting to bubble you add the eggs. To get it just right would be so that within 10 seconds of butter hitting pan it starts to bubble then add eggs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.