Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Wow that sounds fun, how are the pizza topped? Cheese, sauce and ?
Will be ordering them in about an hour from now. Usually get one with cheese, tomato sauce, jalapeños, garlic and the second with cheese, tomato sauce, mushrooms, shrimp, garlic. Sometimes switch things up and get pepperoni or salami and/or blue cheese. It's all pretty good!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Great passtime that can inspire if not directly.

An amazing (and very rewarding) pastime; and one that can give rise to all sorts of fascinating sources of inspiration.

The internet - wonderfully - doesn't just offer written recipes, but also, sometimes, actual video demonstrations.

And I still read hardback cook-books, too.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Have prepared the vegetables for Shakshuka: Diced peppers (red and green), sliced and diced onions, most of a head of garlic diced, are all ready in their respective dishes, while a tin of Italian tomatoes mashed and seasoned (with salt and black pepper and a little sugar) awaits in a bowl.

Cumin and caraway seeds are to hand, as is tomato puree, and Spanish smoked sweet paprika (pimentón), and hot paprika. Olive oil is nearby.

Eggs (free range and organic) will be removed from the fridge in a while.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The chopped and diced onions and peppers are being sautéed, - in a blend of olive oil and butter - gently.

Almost a head of finely diced garlic shall join them presently, as will spices (a half teaspoon of caraway seeds, a half teaspoon of cumin seeds, two teaspoons of sweet paprika, between a half teaspoon and a full teaspoon of hot paprika,) and a tablespoon of tomato puree.

After they have blended nicely, I shall add the mashed and seasoned tinned Italian tomatoes, and let the lot simmer for around a further 30 minutes.

And that is when I shall make a few wells in the mix, and break in and add the eggs to the mix, cooking them at a gentle heat so that the whites are set but the yolks still somewhat runny.

Last edited:

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Unfortunately, I am unable to open it, as it demands that I open an account with them, which I prefer not to do.
Well that stinks, sorry about that. ? NYT It was/is a nice looking vegetarian chili recipe which you then nestle eggs in and cook until the white is solid but the yolk is still molten. Much like your dinner.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Unfortunately, I am unable to open it, as it demands that I open an account with them, which I prefer not to do. But thank you for attempting to share it with us.

Well that stinks, sorry about that. ? NYT It was/is a nice looking vegetarian chili recipe which you then nestle eggs in and cook until the white is solid but the yolk is still molten. Much like your dinner.

:)

Attachments

• Skillet Vegetarian Chili With Eggs and Cheddar Recipe __ Reader View.pdf
    133.7 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Reading it, (thank you, @D.T.), it looks as though it is pretty similar to the recipe I used.

Yours includes beans, which would go very well with it, as one of the recipes I perused, suggested potatoes (diced) as a possible addition, or aubergines (eggplants), and/or courgettes (zucchini) as well.

Anyway, it was delicious, and very tasty, and satisfyingly spicy.

Once again, my grateful thanks for making this available.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yeah, love the use of eggs (both in this recipe and @Scepticalscribe's dish several posts back).

I think I mentioned this, oh well, repeat post if so :) We half an avocado, break an egg into the pit divot, and bake (to desired egg doneness). It's creamy, rich, the 'cado really compliments the egg, easy and tasty.

We also do kind of the same, but with some kind of meat laid into a cupcake pan, egg into the meat "bowl", bake. The original recipe used bacon but it's tricky to get the bacon cooked and the egg not dried out too much - we either slightly cook the bacon in advance, or lately, we've been using a thin sliced salami! So it's already cooked, but really releases a lot of flavor, the edges get a touch crispy. You can additional dress up the top with a little cheese, or other dry herbs.

They're great for a breakfast for several people, since you can make 12 or more at a time.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Boy did I screw up the take out delivery order last night:

Mom likes a broccoli shrimp dish, I like a string bean shrimp dish. I decided to get a Sichuan peppercorn shrimp dish for me, and accidentally ordered string beans -not broccoli- for mom. Mom was nudging me to change the order from bean to broccoli, which I thought I did,but no. ?

String Bean and Sichuan shrimp. :rolleyes: Mom did not complain. I apologized.

And then mom tells me today she thought the string bean dish was terrible: Way too spicy and only ten string beans. :eek: She ate the Sichuan shrimp. So she apologized to me. And I apologized back by ordering her broccoli shrimp tonight.o_O

Long post short, it was a good thing we have all this ? now, as the grocery store was out of stock on our favorite chicken.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Boy did I screw up the take out delivery order last night:

Mom likes a broccoli shrimp dish, I like a string bean shrimp dish. I decided to get a Sichuan peppercorn shrimp dish for me, and accidentally ordered string beans -not broccoli- for mom. Mom was nudging me to change the order from bean to broccoli, which I thought I did,but no. ?

String Bean and Sichuan shrimp. :rolleyes: Mom did not complain. I apologized.

And then mom tells me today she thought the string bean dish was terrible: Way too spicy and only ten string beans. :eek: She ate the Sichuan shrimp. So she apologized to me. And I apologized back by ordering her broccoli shrimp tonight.o_O

Long post short, it was a good thing we have all this ? now, as the grocery store was out of stock on our favorite chicken.

Oh, dear.

When ill-health and other forms of stress also exist, such domestic dramas can come to assume upsetting dimensions and proportions unthinkable in what used to be the normal life one once lived.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I learned early enough during my mother's decline, that, as far as food was concerned, simply to give her what she wanted.

Now, that didn't always mean what we (the carer and I) wanted; somedays, we would prepare two sets of meals (very occasionally, even three), but - to make life easier for everyone, and more agreeable and pleasant and palatable for my mother, we simply succumbed on food.

Reactions: stylinexpat

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Oh, dear.

When ill-health and other forms of stress also exist, such domestic dramas can come to assume upsetting dimensions and proportions unthinkable in what used to be the normal life one once lived.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I learned early enough during my mother's decline, that, as far as food was concerned, simply to give her what she wanted.

Now, that didn't always mean what we (the carer and I) wanted; somedays, we would prepare two sets of meals (very occasionally, even three), but - to make life easier for everyone, and more agreeable and pleasant and palatable for my mother, we simply succumbed on food.
Thanks.

When I am home, we generally eat the same things, I was just embarrassed I screwed up the order. It hasn’t gotten to the point where separate breakfast and dinners need to be yet. Definitely making pears today.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Chicken pieces (free range, organic) have just been taken from the freezer.

That is tomorrow's dinner taken care of.

Now, to plan for this evening's meal.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Dinner was scrambled (free range, organic) eggs (whisked with a little full fat, organic milk, salt, pepper, and a few small cubes of butter) before being sautéed slowly in butter.

Very tasty.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Spiralized pears with walnuts and almonds. Sprinkled with cinnamon and cayenne. :)

Of course I ate the remaining shrimp dishes as brunch, and though the Sichuan shrimp held up better than the string bean shrimp.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Went out in the dark and cold and grilled up some NY strip steaks. Served them up with baked potatoes and baked mushrooms with onions.

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.