Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Honestly another reason I bought it. I don't need an app store. App stores are dumbed down, curated means to find stuff. I've known how to install stuff since the early *.exe days. With Android I just sideload APKs of whatever version I prefer. App stores like Google Play store tend to update even if you disable the feature (I caught it trying to update a few apps a week ago, even with updates turned off).

There's nothing I'd need that it doesn't have (the ATV 2).

Have you encountered the 'Download unavailable: There's a recent billing problem with your Apple ID. Try going to iTunes on a computer, review recent purchases, and try again" bug yet?

This has been going on randomly off/on for a week now. A hard reboot (pulling plug, plugging in, waiting for it to reboot) fixes it for a time, but it recurs. This happens with all previously purchased content, even stuff I've owned for over a year. There's no billing problem with my Apple ID at all. Netflix, however, works perfectly fine.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My 8+ is retired in my drawer (upgraded to the 13 pro max after 4 years)
My 2018 iPad Pro is still going strong. Still don't feel the urge to upgrade yet.
I am typing this on my 2017 5k iMac when I should be completing my work review documents.
The 2013 Apple TV units in my classroom is still going strong, and dutifully mirrors my iPad day after day after day.
My Series 5 Apple Watch is 3 years old, performance is still great, should be able to go one more year (hopefully they refresh the Apple Watch Ultra next year as well).
M1 MBA - no issues.

Reactions: MacBH928

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Currently it is my 2017 10.5" iPad Pro running the latest software.

Performance is quite choppy, to say the least. But it works well for drawing and sidecar which is all I need an iPad to do.

Scott Baret

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I've had the same LC since 1992 but it's gotten a LOT of new parts, like capacitors, plus it doesn't get used every day.

I do have a clamshell iBook that's only ever had batteries replaced...just used it yesterday...and the day before that...and a few times this week...still good for Word 2001.

Forgot to mention I bought it new in August 2000.

Reactions: MarkC426

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My Apple TV 2 just came back from the grave. For over a week, it's been unable to stream jack since it kept showing that error "download unavailable: There's a billing problem with a previous purchase... (there is NOT)" but today that problem appears to have solved itself, since it streamed episodes of Star Trek: TNG as well as Stargate:Atlantis perfectly fine.

So onto hopefully an 11 year old Apple product remaining useful! Hoping for 30 years at least!

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Probably my first (iPod 5th generation, “video”) or second (iPod touch first generation) real Apple devices, which each served me for years until I switched to a regular and long rotation of iPhones.

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My stepdad has an iPod touch 3rd gen (the one that got its last update being iOS 6) but he never uses it (he never could get it to 'talk' to Windows 10!) but I can't get him to part with it. He never got it past the initial setup either. I'd love to have another device running iOS 6. Just to add to my '2010 collection'

Seems such a waste to have it languishing in a drawer.

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2022
The late '09 Unibody White MacBook (13 years old!)

I often use it as a mule for background tasks and some very light classic (32-bit era) gaming (e.g., Boxer)

Issues...
  • Original battery is all but completely dead (Service Battery)
  • Tiny crack in lid plastic on the back, doesn't affect screen or anything.
  • Keyboard keys really show their age (missing letters)
  • Bottom rubberized cover began warping and was replaced under a service program many years ago.
Upgrades...
  • Runs High Sierra just fine.
  • 6GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
Meanwhile, my original iPod Photo 60GB (from ca. '04) was bought brand new and finally given to a family member who still uses it after over 10 years; the battery is completely shot but they use it plugged in with a dock (office radio). --Still works fine.

I'm typing this on a mid-2017 MacBook Pro, original everything except for two keyboard swaps and two display replacements; it still has AppleCare, I use it when I travel.

Reactions: MBAir2010

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
My 1st gen iPad. Pre-ordered on day-1 (delivered 4/3/2010). Still in use daily as my vintage TV.

VTV-finished.jpg

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
My 2017 27” Mac. Still in daily use but I can hardly say it’s been heavily used. I am going to replace it as soon as an M2 27” Mac comes out

J.J. Sefton

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2004
Currently on year 8 of my 2013 Mac Pro. I still have a 22 year old working Sawtooth G4, but it hasn't seen daily use in 16 years.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
What kind of add-on is that? It reminds me of some old Crosley 'retro' TV they tried to make in 2009 (it flopped hard, was basically an LCD TV with a face to make it look like a 1950s one)

I'm still scouring the Interwebs for a 1st Gen iPad. They seem to be Unicorns. Or Unobtainium. Certainly they didn't run some sort of 'Cash for clunkers' for iPads? Surely not!

macpronoob

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
Still working but no longer supported MacBook black 2008 and iPad 2. IPod 5gen still works and I use it at the gym. iPhone 5+.
Apple last forever when you take good care and do maintenance.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I've had the same LC since 1992 but it's gotten a LOT of new parts, like capacitors, plus it doesn't get used every day.

I do have a clamshell iBook that's only ever had batteries replaced...just used it yesterday...and the day before that...and a few times this week...still good for Word 2001.

Forgot to mention I bought it new in August 2000.

nice! I always wanted the clamshell ibooks or the 98 imac models. Why do you insist on using a 1992 computer or laptop from 20 years ago when a current one can do so much more? just interested in the use case.

It scares me that the HDD might die and I lose all my data.

My Apple TV 2 just came back from the grave. For over a week, it's been unable to stream jack since it kept showing that error "download unavailable: There's a billing problem with a previous purchase... (there is NOT)" but today that problem appears to have solved itself, since it streamed episodes of Star Trek: TNG as well as Stargate:Atlantis perfectly fine.

So onto hopefully an 11 year old Apple product remaining useful! Hoping for 30 years at least!

Does it do HD? The problem is that you never know when Apple or any other corporate cut your old device from online services or supporting transfer to it.

My stepdad has an iPod touch 3rd gen (the one that got its last update being iOS 6) but he never uses it (he never could get it to 'talk' to Windows 10!) but I can't get him to part with it. He never got it past the initial setup either. I'd love to have another device running iOS 6. Just to add to my '2010 collection'

Seems such a waste to have it languishing in a drawer.

Why he keeps it if he does not use it?

The late '09 Unibody White MacBook (13 years old!)

I often use it as a mule for background tasks and some very light classic (32-bit era) gaming (e.g., Boxer)

Issues...
  • Original battery is all but completely dead (Service Battery)
  • Tiny crack in lid plastic on the back, doesn't affect screen or anything.
  • Keyboard keys really show their age (missing letters)
  • Bottom rubberized cover began warping and was replaced under a service program many years ago.
Upgrades...
  • Runs High Sierra just fine.
  • 6GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
Meanwhile, my original iPod Photo 60GB (from ca. '04) was bought brand new and finally given to a family member who still uses it after over 10 years; the battery is completely shot but they use it plugged in with a dock (office radio). --Still works fine.

I'm typing this on a mid-2017 MacBook Pro, original everything except for two keyboard swaps and two display replacements; it still has AppleCare, I use it when I travel.

I do not even remember that there was an iPod Photo! Isn't it dangerous to keep using such an old battery?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
My 1st gen iPad. Pre-ordered on day-1 (delivered 4/3/2010). Still in use daily as my vintage TV.

View attachment 2120050

nice. What are you watching? Is it just a furniture piece or do you actually watch video on it? how is the battery?

What kind of add-on is that? It reminds me of some old Crosley 'retro' TV they tried to make in 2009 (it flopped hard, was basically an LCD TV with a face to make it look like a 1950s one)

I'm still scouring the Interwebs for a 1st Gen iPad. They seem to be Unicorns. Or Unobtainium. Certainly they didn't run some sort of 'Cash for clunkers' for iPads? Surely not!

Why would you like 1st gen iPad? unless its for collection purposes. I think ipad3/4 is exactly same and much more powerful

Still working but no longer supported MacBook black 2008 and iPad 2. IPod 5gen still works and I use it at the gym. iPhone 5+.
Apple last forever when you take good care and do maintenance.

Unless Apple makes it impossible to install software on it (different OS) or make it very difficult to repair or find spare parts.

Reactions: macpronoob

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
nice. What are you watching? Is it just a furniture piece or do you actually watch video on it? how is the battery?

Why would you like 1st gen iPad? unless its for collection purposes. I think ipad3/4 is exactly same and much more powerful

Unless Apple makes it impossible to install software on it (different OS) or make it very difficult to repair or find spare parts.
I use OPlayerHD to play a video playlist of vintage tv shows and commericals. I don’t use it on battery… it’s plugged in to power and sits on top of our retro bar cart.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I want a 1st Gen iPad because it won't ever get iOS 7+. It'd be another skeuomorphic device I could find use in, such as all the 32-bit apps/games that no longer work on modern ones. It's also one of the last devices made when Steve still ran Apple vs. Tim (Tim is running Apple into the ground and making it the new Microsoft)

The Apple TV 2 does 720p HD. Not Full HD. But it's connected to a period-correct TV from the same year that only goes as far as 720p. Advantages? zero buffering. Also, 720p native resolution looks as crystal clear as 4K native on a 4K TV. I don't watch content that is even in 1080p heck much of the stuff I watch is from the 1960s! Plus, my old Vizio has a matte screen that makes glare a non-issue.

My stepdad won't sell or give away the old iPod Touch because it's an Apple product and he thinks they hold value like a Rolex watch. I can't seem to convince him otherwise.

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
My MacBook Pro ( 15-inch Late 2008 Model ) has been actively used by me until 2019 !

I upgradet simply anything over the Years, maxed out Ram installed SSD addet Express/34 DJ Audio Card and USB 3 Card.

Had used it with Traktor as DJ for Years, so you can imagine the treatment it was withstanding.

And of course replaced the Akku several Times, strange was you had to change the Akku the Time it has become bigger and has made the Trackpad unusable.

And had to Replace the Mag Safe Cable several Times as well.
The Power Adapter was still working.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
iPod nano 2007

mt G4 2002 1mac is working in a clinic in Costa Rica now
but not mine anymore!

Attachments

• tempImageIUHn8w.png
    tempImageIUHn8w.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 65

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
My MacBook Pro ( 15-inch Late 2008 Model ) has been actively used by me until 2019 !

I upgradet simply anything over the Years, maxed out Ram installed SSD addet Express/34 DJ Audio Card and USB 3 Card.

Had used it with Traktor as DJ for Years, so you can imagine the treatment it was withstanding.

And of course replaced the Akku several Times, strange was you had to change the Akku the Time it has become bigger and has made the Trackpad unusable.

And had to Replace the Mag Safe Cable several Times as well.
The Power Adapter was still working.

Surprised you are doing well with this one. I got 2008 13inch and its slow as molasses compared to modern devices. Was very speed in its day. Of course I do not have SSD in that and SSD improves speed much more than upgrading CPU or RAM.
iPod nano 2007

mt G4 2002 1mac is working in a clinic in Costa Rica now
but not mine anymore!

Nice to know an old computer is made real use out of it. Albeit makes me wonder what software they are using and how do they backup their data? Old computers are at risk for death at any moment.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I use OPlayerHD to play a video playlist of vintage tv shows and commericals. I don’t use it on battery… it’s plugged in to power and sits on top of our retro bar cart.

May I ask why OPlayerHD specifically? why not VLC or some other app?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It will be my MacBook Air 2014 11 inch. My husband still uses it as his daily driver. Still works as well as the I bought it in February 2015.

I had an Apple TV HD bought at launch in 2015. It still works and I was using it in one of my kids rooms. However my 4 year old split water on the remote and nuked it. So I’ve taken it out of service.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
May I ask why OPlayerHD specifically? why not VLC or some other app?
At the time that I set the iPad up, VLC wasn't available for iOS. OPlayerHD was the only video player that supported video playlists. (The latest version of iOS that the 1st gen iPad can run is iOS 5.1.1)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.