Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
My iPod U2 model is still working fine! As is my iPod touch 2nd gen but I don't use either of them anymore. At work we still have working G4 Cube's, eMac's, iMac G4's amongst many others but these are in our museum haha.

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
I'm still using the MacBook Air 11" that I bought in 2012. I'm surprised how well it's working. Compared to my MacBook Pro 13" (2019) that has CleanMyMac installed I'm finding when running Citrix Client for Mac to login to Windows 10 that I'm clearing my 8GB memory a couple of times a day, as it gets used all the time on the MBP, and the fans start running, so I have it placed at an incline to raise it to get airflow underneath. They are both running an external 24" LED USB C screen. It is also hot to touch sometimes, while the MacBook Air just runs quietly, no problems what so ever. Never had an issue.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
I have two 160GB iPod Classics purchased at least 10 years ago in daily use, working fine with over 120GB of iTunes and ripped CDs loaded and growing. Will convert to SSD if they fail. Great machines.
Another stupid Apple decision to discontinue a major asset.
Also have a new Touch for Bluetoothing my library to Alexa products and my hearing aids. Music between the ears is super, but music selection not as simple as Classics wheel.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I have a 2010 27" iMac that's still going strong. It's no longer my main computer and hasn't been for a while, but it's a perfectly competent web browser/light-duty machine in a secondary room and also makes for a fantastic external display for my 2020 MBP via Target Display Mode.

On a related subject, if Apple is really serious about the environment, it should resurrect and prioritize features such as Target Display Mode that can give an old device a new purpose for years after the fact. Importantly, TDM didn't dissuade me from buying another Mac when it was time, but rather encouraged me to do so since that didn't mean throwing out the old one.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Its ironic how the old computers are just as good at accomplishing many tasks we pay top dollar for new computers to do. The author of the tv series Game of Thrones said he uses WordStar on DOS machine!

It's not a bit ironic, but it is notable. We often buy because we want to, not because the new features/approaches are actually that much better. And I can think of at least one occasion where my "upgrade" felt more like a downgrade.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
hasn't the LCD colors/brightness faded?
Who is the manufacturer of the LCD? Is it Samsung?

LG’s name is all over those ACD. Assembled in Korea (by LG) The panel is LG. The logic board doesn’t have any Apple markings or the usual copyright (year) Apple Inc. Just an LG logo. I’m guessing Apple designed the enclosure and industrial design and had LG do the rest.

The LED backlit Cinema Displays (24” and 27”) and newer are more designed by Apple. Apple’s info is on the logic board on those. Panels are Samsung and LG.

Reactions: Boyd01

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
My longest running and actively used Apple thing is my current MBP. Late '13, bought early '14. And later the same year I got the iPhone 6+ I'm still using.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
My iPod Hifi has been in constant use since it was introduced (2006?) now optically connected to an Airport Express for AirPlay 2.

My Apple Extended Keyboard II has been in use since I believe 1996 (got it with a PowerMac 9600) and it would still be if my ADB to USB adapter had not died. I have not been able to source a new one for a reasonable price.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
My 2010 MBP was finally retired in December. That was the longest I have ever run a computer.

Yes, my 13" MacBook Pro 2010 is still in use and will continue to use it until it drops! Also in use is a Mac mini 2009.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
For me, it's a tie game between the Quadra 650 and the original MacPro... both of which I had for 6.5 years.

Both I was able to upgrade over the years to add RAM, Video Card upgrades, HD upgrades, and in the case of the Quadra 650, a processor upgrade.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
My 2008 15" MacBook Pro still works fine (although the battery is long dead) but I don't use it anymore. Still have a PowerBook G4 and gray G4 Power Macintosh in the closet but they both died a couple years ago.

I got a 23" Apple Cinema Display HD in 2006 (?) and used it continuously until about three months ago on my 2012 quad-core Mini Server. It still works and looks surprisingly good, but have retired it and turned the 2012 Mini into a headless server when I got a 2018 Mini and 32" screen in June.

So, I guess the oldest Apple product that I am still actively using is the 2012 quad Mini.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
iPod HiFi. Several Apple 30” cinema displays, 2008, 2009 and 2012 Mac Pro. 2009 Time Capsule (retired a few months ago for a newer AirPort Time Capsule) I bought everything mentioned above used. I’ve had the Time Capsule since 2011. And iPod HiFi since 2013. Apple products do last a long time.

Those 30” ACD do show their age. I bought 4 and kept the 2 nicer ones (the panels yellow overtime due to the heat the display generates) It’s hard to find a newer production 30” ACD or one with less wear since the only way to know for sure is to put it next to a known good 30” display. They also develop dark spots that are only visible on white backgrounds like web pages or when booting into macOS.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I’m still using my 2010 27” iMac. I basically only use it as an external display and bonus hard drive now, since the last major macOS update it received made it run unbearably slow, but it’s still going!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Come to think of it, these are actually the oldest "Apple products" that I still own. Got my Apple ][ in 1978 and unfortunately it's long gone, but I still have all the manauls and these tapes. :)

apple_tapes.jpg

Johnontheweb

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2017
Arcachon
Just for fun, name the Apple product that lasted you longest. Give the name of the product and how many years it has been working for you. If you can add a picture of it.

Rules:
1-It should be in constant use, not forgotten for 5 years and fired up again for use.
2-Its ok to make it last with replaceable parts like ram, batteries, and hard-drives but going into extreme measures where most the device is not its original parts can't be included.(ex..Mac Pro with a replaced HDD, Motherboard, CPU, Power Supply, fans...etc, you get the idea)

I don't use it, but my mac 512k still boots from a 10mb hard drive.

• Love
Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.