Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Apple, if you're listening, please release a new small iPhone with the top-of-the-line cameras.

My daughter cracked her iPhone 6 screen, so I gave her my 6s and bought an AT&T pay-as-you-go SE for cheap (and was able to just plug in my existing AT&T monthly SIM). I definitely prefer the smaller size (compared to the 6s), though having a somewhat larger screen for showing off photos is nice. Then I got the upgrade itch and bought an Xs. Love the cameras, hate the diminished one-handed usability. Face ID works reliably, but is slower than Touch ID and it's a nuisance to have to orient it properly in order to unlock while lying in bed or when I'm in my car. I honestly think I might be happier moving back "down" to my SE, but I know I'll miss the Xs' cameras.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Europe is going to be one of Apple's toughest battlegrounds as Huawei and Xiaomi are pulling out all the stops in 2019 to shake of the smartphone landscape in this region. The days of it being an Apple-Samsung only race is officially over.

Especially european business people like the small handy design of the iPhone SE. When Xiaomi recognizes this need gap, Apple will lose its position in Europe.
Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 15.03.38.png

Then Apple only just lead its homeland.

Last edited:

alex2016g

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
UK
It amazes me how many people like the SE. especially coming from Apple diehards / tech enthusiasts.

I just wouldn’t be able to use something that’s so behind feature-wise.

Water resistance, OLED, Face ID, faster LTE & WiFi, stainless steel / glass, dual SIM, 3D Touch...

The list goes on.

That is exactly why so many people want it to be updated today, to still have the small size, that form factor but with edge to edge OLED screen, water resistance, faster LTE WiFi...

Regarding Face ID though it is an absolute waste of space at the top of the screen!!!

Last edited:

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Can't understand most of Macrumors readers' obsession with the SE? Who wants to read books, news, emails or consume media on that thing? If you want a small phone to just text and answer calls, I get it. Anything else, larger displays is the way to go.

Who actually reads books on their iPhone? I don't know anyone, there's another great device for that, just FYI...
mobile-ipad-mini-4-hero-2015.jpeg

[doublepost=1551536973][/doublepost]Apple knows the problem that different tasks require different display sizes. A beamer for cinema, a monitor for computers, an iPad screen (Mini...Pro) for mobile tasks and media consumption, an iPhone screen for photographing and communicating.

Why Apple have thrown out the device with the smallest monitor (small form factor is always the greatest engineering achievement) most don't understand here. Neither do I.

Last edited:
Reactions: Martyimac

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
The SE is in no way the answer to Apple's iPhone problems. Customers with constrained resources have constrained ideas.

I completely disagree on your assumption that SE buyers are financially constrained - perhaps they are in some markets - but my bank account is sufficient to enable me to buy any phone I wish and not even notice - but the SE remains the best sized phone on the market*. As a second datapoint my ex-gf was on a six-figure salary in her late 20's bought a 5c at the time (rather than the flagship 5S).

I rather compliment a compact phone with a laptop (Surface Pro 12.5" and a 2018 MBP 15") and get the best of both worlds.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
That is exactly why so many people want it to be updated today, to still have the small size, that form factor but with edge to edge OLED screen, water resistance, faster LTE WiFi...

Regarding Face ID though it is an absolute waste of space at the top of the screen!!!

There’s so much screen real estate on my XS Max that I don’t notice the notch... ever.

bb9

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2017
If i get an ipad mini and airpods then the SE could be very interesting. It will be a comm-hub in my pocket.

Reactions: LizKat

Mark Holmes

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
San Diego CA
If i get an ipad mini and airpods then the SE could be very interesting. It will be a comm-hub in my pocket.

This is what my new SE, picked up during the latest clearance sale, feels like. As part of my intention to devote less real time to screen time, the small size does less to draw me in to wasted time on FB, Insta, news feeds or whatever might be the scandal of the day. It does what the iPhone was originally intended to do; serve as on-the-go communication, as a camera for those don't-miss moments, and as an iPod - mostly for podcasts in my case. We bought 4 - two to replace our aging 6S and 6S Plus, and two as back-ups in case it takes 5+ years for Apple to come back around to the idea of a phone that can be easily pocketed and used in one hand.

Oh, and the headphone jack. We work in entertainment (professional theater and audio/video) and I'm sorry, although I love my AirPods, there are times that a headphone jack is REALLY handy. Do not see the need to remove it.

Oh, and the design. Classic.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
It amazes me how many people like the SE. especially coming from Apple diehards / tech enthusiasts.

Water resistance, OLED, Face ID, faster LTE & WiFi, stainless steel / glass, dual SIM, 3D Touch...

The list goes on.

its about the size. if Apple released a new 2019 XE with updated specs accross the board, the SE will seem like ancient tech. The problem is, there just is nothing in the small phone space that compares right now as it's a dying market (or intentionally killed market)

if your choice for small phone is the SE or nothing. the SE seems like a godsend

AngstyKylo

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2018
London UK
Europe is going to be one of Apple's toughest battlegrounds as Huawei and Xiaomi are pulling out all the stops in 2019 to shake of the smartphone landscape in this region. The days of it being an Apple-Samsung only race is officially over.

Especially european business people like the small handy design of the iPhone SE. When Xiaomi recognizes this need gap, Apple will lose its position in Europe.
View attachment 824149
Then Apple only just lead its homeland.

They'll always have a market, as people are 'tied to the ecosystem' 'privacy' and most importantly it's seen as a status product. Apple would have to mess up really bad for them to fail in Europe

Beyo

macrumors member
May 29, 2017
Poznań
What a crap video.
I am using my iPhone SE from 2017 and I hope I will use it for next 5 years, like my 3GS. Apple should never release bigger screens iphones :/

Reactions: Morgenland

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Lawsuit in 3..2..1 Apple discriminating against people with smaller hands, ie.. Women & Children because they will not be providing a next generation SE.

All kidding aside. My wife loves this phone and we just paid a few hundred when Apple put it back up on their store.

dfasdfas

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2019
3 months ago I bought my first Android phone because new small iPhone wasn't coming.
Still using SE as well, though.

Reactions: NightFixer

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I guess, as phones get bigger, Apple mimics the 'one handed' approach today with 'Reachability"

("show-offs" :p)

IndyRobb

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2019
Indianapolis, IN
ALs

I can only speak from personal experience, but it's all about the size for me, not the price point. If Apple offered a variant of the XR hardware in the form factor of the iPhone SE I'd pick one up even at $749.
[doublepost=1551588804][/doublepost]Why would I want to read books, consume content, etc. on my phone? Ok, occasionally I do that. But way more often, that’s what I have an iPad Pro (the new ones are really sweet) or my MacBook for. When I’m riding my bike, running, skiing, boating, hanging out with my friends at a bar, chasing my kids around the yard, etc., etc., a large phone is seldom an advantage (though I would love to be carrying the best phone camera money could buy). But if I were carrying around a great big large-screened phone I would be cursing it for how big and ungainly it was. :(
[doublepost=1551589173][/doublepost]Small is beautiful baby. Stuff you’d want a big phone for is stuff I’d rather do on my (very sweet) new iPad Pro or my MacBook. I would like the best camera money could buy, and waterproofing too. And I’d happily pay whatever the going rate is for a top-of-the-line phone. This is about *size* not money, and a big phone is no fun if you live an active life. My iPhone SE still works pretty well, and I will keep it until another small phone comes along that makes a meaningful improvement over it. But I’m aware my phone isn’t all it could be, and I’m getting increasingly grumpy that Apple is ignoring my part of the market. :(

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013

The list goes on.

Perhaps if you consider whether any of those features actually increases the FUNCTIONALITY of the thing?
(OK, with the possible exception of dual sim for a tiny number of people..)

I could go out and blow 1000 on a beautiful new iphone and basically not be able to do anything more than I can already with my current SE, which is already the perfect size, shape and form for my requirements.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Obviously there are more people who prefer the larger phones, which is why they now predominate in the market. The fact that Android phone manufacturers have an unfortunate tendency to copy everything Apple does makes this more of an issue - they too begin dropping phone jacks, touch id, small form factor choices, no more removable batteries, etc., leaving customers with fewer and fewer options.
I believe that many people got the larger phone because that was the only option with the newer tech.

This is the problem for us consumers who are forced to think that these configurations are the best choice, while they are the only available specs. We are forced to think that paying $1000+ per unit is normal - the worst side-effect of aping Apple!

There are thousands of posts by headphone jack "haters" who either don't know that they had the choice of wireless all along, or that the thinness of the iPhone was not a factor in removing the jacks - 6/6S are the thinnest!

It is like removing wheel chair access ramps from all buildings, seeing everyone using the stairs and claiming that there is/was no/not need for the ramps! Fantastic logic.
[doublepost=1551620177][/doublepost]
I love my SE. no camera pimple, and no dumbass Face ID. What’s not to love?

This - how are people okay with this feature. The devices becoming thinner (not all really) while the pimple keeps growing!

Last edited:

solarmon

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
ALs

I can only speak from personal experience, but it's all about the size for me, not the price point. If Apple offered a variant of the XR hardware in the form factor of the iPhone SE I'd pick one up even at $749.
Same here. I'd pay 2 grand.
Yep. It’s wrong to demand all the new features of the X series, in a smaller size, without being willing to pay for it. I am. Listen up, Mr. Cook! Offer them in a range of features. I’d buy the high end in a heartbeat.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
They'll always have a market, as people are 'tied to the ecosystem' 'privacy' and most importantly it's seen as a status product. Apple would have to mess up really bad for them to fail in Europe
Sure. And they're good at running with their privacy. I am not worried about the continuity of Apple anyhow. The company is still too smart and robust for that.

However, it might be unpleasant for investors if the global market share of iOS devices did not grow continuously.

The SE successor (SE-2) can be sold in parallel with the XS: It might be equipped identical with everything a traveller needs (DualSIM (AngstKylo, GigSky worked out fine on my recent trip to the great city of London), NFC (your well equipped London tubes), the same camera and the same processor) but differs by a small display.
That could stabilize/set the margins in the West and allows entry into China and India.

In China it's still "nice if I could afford an iPhone", in India it's "nice if I could somehow buy a rugged iPhone".
Apple can never adress its obvious sales problems in both mass markets with SX or XR. At least their ecosystem needs an SE-2 in order to grow substantially.

They always knew that, of course, maybe some lone fighter has issued a different slogan, therefore now the issues. Apple is alive and feels young enough to learn. I'm excited about SOP SE-2. I would immediately refresh my beloved but chunky XS by the SE-2.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightFixer

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
After a year and a half of mostly loving an iPhone X, I’ve gone back to the SE. It’s less about size then about weight for me. I bought a newiPhone SE/128 two weeks ago.

With the SE, I slip it in my pocket and it completely disappears. I hold it in my hand, and I don’t get tired. It’s taken me a while to remember how to type with one hand, but it works great!

My dream phone would be an iPhone SE with an edge to edge display, meaning the same dimensions, the same weight, but a 4.8”inch screen.

There are things I miss about the X, but I own both right now and find that 90% of the time I prefer using the SE.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Perhaps if you consider whether any of those features actually increases the FUNCTIONALITY of the thing?
(OK, with the possible exception of dual sim for a tiny number of people..)

I could go out and blow 1000 on a beautiful new iphone and basically not be able to do anything more than I can already with my current SE, which is already the perfect size, shape and form for my requirements.

Lol there are obviously more things that I didn’t list that also improve the functionality of the phone. How does everything being faster overall, 3D Touch, better cameras etc not increase the functionality of the phone?

It’s ok to like the iPhone SE, but to say that the new iPhones aren’t “much better” than the SE is completely false. It’s ok to enjoy 1 thing without bashing the other thing.

Hopefully they do update the SE. But shout out to everyone who thinks it’s the perfect device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.