Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxinMusicCity

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Nashville

Apple discontinued the iPhone SE in September when iPhone XS and XR models were released, but in January, Apple started selling off its remaining stock via its clearance site for $249.

Every time Apple restocks the clearance site, available iPhone SE models go quick, suggesting there's still quite a lot of interest in the 4-inch device. We recently picked up an iPhone SE to see just what it's like using one in 2019.

The iPhone SE was Apple's last 4-inch iPhone, and compared to a 5.8-inch iPhone X, a 6.1-inch iPhone XR, or a 6.5-inch iPhone XS Max, it's tiny. Coming from one of these phones to the iPhone SE almost makes the iPhone SE feel like a toy.

On the plus side, it's so small and light that it's easy to use one handed, something you can't necessarily do with Apple's biggest iPhones. With its aluminum backing, the iPhone SE is more durable than Apple's new all-glass smartphones.

The iPhone SE pre-dates Face ID, of course, so it's using a Touch ID Home button, which is great for those who continue to prefer fingerprint sensors to facial recognition.

There's also a headphone jack, which has been eliminated from all current iPhones (and the most recent iPad Pro models), and it has separate volume up and down buttons along with a power button at the top of the device instead of a side button.

Apple released the iPhone SE in 2016, so it's using three-year-old hardware. It has an A9 processor, which was also used in the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus back in 2015, along with 2GB RAM (vs. 3 in the XR and 4 in the XS).

iphonesevsiphonexsmax-800x450.jpg

You might think it'd be noticeably slower than newer iPhones, but, surprisingly, for built-in apps it's speedy. When using Mail, Messages, Calendar, FaceTime, and other similar built-in apps, the iPhone SE is as speedy as 2018 iPhones.

It's not, however, able to hold up when using apps built for newer iPhones with more modern processors, nor does it have the same augmented reality capabilities. The camera is fine and is the same camera in the iPhone 6s, but it's lacking the improvements made over the last three years.

If you don't care about camera quality, prefer a smaller screen, and don't need to use processor-intensive apps and games, the iPhone SE is a compact, easy-to-hold smartphone that still holds up even in 2019.

Apple's clearance site continues to have iPhone SE models in stock that are unlocked, but ship with Verizon and T-Mobile SIMs. The iPhone SE with 32GB of storage is priced at $249, while the iPhone SE with 128GB of storage is available for $299.

Ahead of when the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR were released, there were some rumors suggesting Apple was working on a second-generation version of the iPhone SE 2.

Some of that information was conflated with iPhone XR rumors, though, and since the 2018 devices launched, we've heard no more about another 4-inch iPhone except for some chatter suggesting Apple has nixed all plans for a new iPhone SE.

At this point in time, it looks like the iPhone SE will continue to be the last 4-inch device available from Apple.

Article Link: What It's Like Using an iPhone SE in 2019

Apple discontinued the iPhone SE in September when iPhone XS and XR models were released, but in January, Apple started selling off its remaining stock via its clearance site for $249.

Every time Apple restocks the clearance site, available iPhone SE models go quick, suggesting there's still quite a lot of interest in the 4-inch device. We recently picked up an iPhone SE to see just what it's like using one in 2019.

The iPhone SE was Apple's last 4-inch iPhone, and compared to a 5.8-inch iPhone X, a 6.1-inch iPhone XR, or a 6.5-inch iPhone XS Max, it's tiny. Coming from one of these phones to the iPhone SE almost makes the iPhone SE feel like a toy.

On the plus side, it's so small and light that it's easy to use one handed, something you can't necessarily do with Apple's biggest iPhones. With its aluminum backing, the iPhone SE is more durable than Apple's new all-glass smartphones.

The iPhone SE pre-dates Face ID, of course, so it's using a Touch ID Home button, which is great for those who continue to prefer fingerprint sensors to facial recognition.

There's also a headphone jack, which has been eliminated from all current iPhones (and the most recent iPad Pro models), and it has separate volume up and down buttons along with a power button at the top of the device instead of a side button.

Apple released the iPhone SE in 2016, so it's using three-year-old hardware. It has an A9 processor, which was also used in the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus back in 2015, along with 2GB RAM (vs. 3 in the XR and 4 in the XS).

You might think it'd be noticeably slower than newer iPhones, but, surprisingly, for built-in apps it's speedy. When using Mail, Messages, Calendar, FaceTime, and other similar built-in apps, the iPhone SE is as speedy as 2018 iPhones.

It's not, however, able to hold up when using apps built for newer iPhones with more modern processors, nor does it have the same augmented reality capabilities. The camera is fine and is the same camera in the iPhone 6s, but it's lacking the improvements made over the last three years.

If you don't care about camera quality, prefer a smaller screen, and don't need to use processor-intensive apps and games, the iPhone SE is a compact, easy-to-hold smartphone that still holds up even in 2019.

Apple's clearance site continues to have iPhone SE models in stock that are unlocked, but ship with Verizon and T-Mobile SIMs. The iPhone SE with 32GB of storage is priced at $249, while the iPhone SE with 128GB of storage is available for $299.

Ahead of when the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR were released, there were some rumors suggesting Apple was working on a second-generation version of the iPhone SE 2.

Some of that information was conflated with iPhone XR rumors, though, and since the 2018 devices launched, we've heard no more about another 4-inch iPhone except for some chatter suggesting Apple has nixed all plans for a new iPhone SE.

At this point in time, it looks like the iPhone SE will continue to be the last 4-inch device available from Apple.

Still using the 5SE to this day with no issues so far. I will probably use it until it's wheels fall off

Still using the SE to this day with no issues so far. I'll probably use it until it's "wheels" fall off :)

Reactions: NightFixer

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
I hope Apple gives us "small phone" advocates another chance to prove our buying power as a group. Give us an iPhone X type phone in a 4in form factor and I'm willing to bet they won't regret it.

Reactions: NightFixer

riker1384

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
West Coast
I hope Apple gives us "small phone" advocates another chance to prove our buying power as a group. Give us an iPhone X type phone in a 4in form factor and I'm willing to bet they won't regret it.
With the reduced bezels of the X, they could put a 4.7-inch screen in a phone not much bigger than the 4-inch SE. I think that's a safer bet than making an even tinier 4-inch-screen phone. Although it would probably be out of my price range if it's made exactly like an X.

Last edited:

falcn

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
I can only speak from personal experience, but it's all about the size for me, not the price point. If Apple offered a variant of the XR hardware in the form factor of the iPhone SE I'd pick one up even at $749.
Not gonna lie, knowing that I can replace my SE for ~$100 if I ever lose or break it will keep me from upgrading to a $750 option. I'm completely happy with SE and I will use it until Apple would make it obsolete with iOS updates.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
Full screen 3:2 4,7” screen would be a dream

Wider means bigger text in not very tall phone, which feets better in pockets and better handling

9:16 screens for watching movies has no sense

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
After a year and a half of mostly loving an iPhone X, I’ve gone back to the SE. It’s less about size then about weight for me. I bought a newiPhone SE/128 two weeks ago.

With the SE, I slip it in my pocket and it completely disappears. I hold it in my hand, and I don’t get tired. It’s taken me a while to remember how to type with one hand, but it works great!

My dream phone would be an iPhone SE with an edge to edge display, meaning the same dimensions, the same weight, but a 4.8”inch screen.

There are things I miss about the X, but I own both right now and find that 90% of the time I prefer using the SE.

The XE in this mock up is 4.9”. But note it’s not quite as wide as the display in the 6-8, but taller, which means Apple would likely have to scale the point size to fit the current 4.7” screen in the same case width as the SE. It’s also using the XS bezel size, but if it uses the same LCD display as the XR the bezels would be slightly thicker, making the display even more slightly narrower, which is getting back into SE display width territory, but keeping the longer 6-8 height. The XE mock-up is already slightly wider than the SE though, matching the XS proportionally.

upload_2019-3-4_13-9-57.jpeg

With the reduced bezels of the X, they could put a 4.7-inch screen in a phone not much bigger than the 4-inch SE. I think that's a safer bet than making an even tinier 4-inch-screen phone. Although it would probably be out of my price range if it's made exactly like an X.

Correct, I don’t see Apple dropping below the current 4.7” size. The mock-up above is 4.9” though not as wide as the 4.7”. I don’t think it’s possible to make it exactly like the X. Just looking at the size difference, I don’t think they can physically fit all of the same hardware inside a smaller case. Yes the battery can be smaller with a smaller screen, especially an OLED, but probably only one camera lens, and probably no 3D touch. So there’s a limit to what Apple can put in the phone which sort of dictates what else they put in there in order to hit a price point people will pay to maintain the optimal profit margins, since they can’t put in all the bells and whistles that they expect demand the highest prices they charge on the premium models.

Reactions: bluecoast

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
Correct, I don’t see Apple dropping below the current 4.7” size. The mock-up above is 4.9” though not as wide as the 4.7”. I don’t think it’s possible to make it exactly like the X. Just looking at the size difference, I don’t think they can physically fit all of the same hardware inside a smaller case. Yes the battery can be smaller with a smaller screen, especially an OLED, but probably only one camera lens, and probably no 3D touch. So there’s a limit to what Apple can put in the phone which sort of dictates what else they put in there in order to hit a price point people will pay to maintain the optimal profit margins, since they can’t put in all the bells and whistles that they expect demand the highest prices they charge on the premium models.

Great mock-up sir! I was mistaken earlier when I stated that I was looking for a phone in a 4in form factor. I meant to say I wanted the phone with same physical dimensions as an SE which has a 4in screen size.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Really looking forward to getting my SE 128. I love my 6S but it seems the processor seems to go off the rails and heat up as the processor must be getting pounded, and this now happens with some frequency which I suspect is just down to a chip starting to fail (I've tried a clean install and that had no effect).

Expecting my new SE, with the same chip and camera, will be an absolute joy to use, and I appreciate the durability of the design.

We'll see.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
iPhone 7 user here. Still miss my 5s for the same reasons as many of you have outlined in this thread.

Agree with many here which that predict that we’ll get a phone similar to the XR but mid-way between the SE and 6-8 4.7 inch phones.

Why didn’t we see that this year? Two reasons.

More and more I think it’s because Apple wanted to push up the average selling price of its phones (which has backfired seeing the near nevending exactness deal for the XR).

And that they are launching a tv service - so they wanted everyone to have big screens (which again seems to have backfired as it seems like it’s going to launch in the fall).

One more thing - when your key product starts to flatten in terms of sales, one thing to do is to make as much variants of it as you can afford to do as to vacuum up as many potential purchases as you can. So I’m sure for that reason alone we’ll see a smaller iPhone again in the fall.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
So I think I mentioned before that I had an iPhone 6s and gave it to my daughter when she cracked her iPhone 6's screen, and then switched to a black pay-as-you-go AT&T iPhone SE (32GB) that I was able to get for cheap from Best Buy and just plug my regular AT&T SIM into. I really enjoyed going back to the one-handed-usage-friendly size, but I got the upgrade itch and was also about to go on an international trip and the SE I had was not unlocked (and wouldn't be), so I bought an XS 64GB. I love cameras, but don't care for Face ID and really dislike the larger size.

As part of seeing this thread pop up, I booted up my SE again and I immediately felt a sense of joy. I had had a couple of cocktails, so I wasn't thinking completely straight, and I made an impulse buy for a white/silver SE 128GB ($300) from Apple, and it arrived today.

Unlike everything else I've bought from Apple, the battery was fully dead on arrival, so I charged it to 100% and then started the setup process. I'm getting this error right off the bat:

Could Not Activate iPhone
Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server cannot be reached. Try connecting your iPhone to iTunes to activate it, or try again in a couple of minutes.

If this problem persists, contact Apple Support at apple.com/support

I removed the T-Mobile SIM (which I didn't need, anyway) and tried connecting it to my laptop and iTunes, but I still get the error. I'm doing some Googling now, but if anyone knows the solution, please let me know.

Update: Right after posting this, I tried a couple more times on the device and still had no luck, but went back to iTunes on my laptop, went back to the main screen, then clicked on the iPhone icon, and this time I got an error related to T-Mobile, but my iPhone moved on to the next step in the setup process. So I think I'm OK now.

Another Update: Actually I ran into a similar error on the iPhone again, but I seem to making some progress via iTunes on my MacBook. It looks like the phone had iOS version 10.2.1 on it (i.e., *really* old). So maybe that has something to do with the issues. iTunes is supposedly downloading the OS update now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimrod

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
As part of seeing this thread pop up, I booted up my SE again and I immediately felt a sense of joy. I had had a couple of cocktails, so I wasn't thinking completely straight, and I made an impulse buy for a white/silver SE 128GB ($300) from Apple, and it arrived today.

I was tempted to try and sell my iPhone 7+ after I saw that crop of SE phones appear from Apple. But I would have to go through the hassle of trying to resell the 7+ and probably lose money on the transition back to the SE. I'm waiting til the end of this year in the hopes Apple will give us a SE type variant. If nothing arrives, I may just eat the loss and go back to the SE.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So I think I mentioned before that I had an iPhone 6s and gave it to my daughter when she cracked her iPhone 6's screen, and then switched to a black pay-as-you-go AT&T iPhone SE (32GB) that I was able to get for cheap from Best Buy and just plug my regular AT&T SIM into. I really enjoyed going back to the one-handed-usage-friendly size, but I got the upgrade itch and was also about to go on an international trip and the SE I had was not unlocked (and wouldn't be), so I bought an XS 64GB. I love cameras, but don't care for Face ID and really dislike the larger size.

Unlike everything else I've bought from Apple, the battery was fully dead on arrival, so I charged it to 100% and then started the setup process. I'm getting this error right off the bat:

I removed the T-Mobile SIM (which I didn't need, anyway) and tried connecting it to my laptop and iTunes, but I still get the error. I'm doing some Googling now, but if anyone knows the solution, please let me know.

Update: Right after posting this, I tried a couple more times on the device and still had no luck, but went back to iTunes on my laptop, went back to the main screen, then clicked on the iPhone icon, and this time I got an error related to T-Mobile, but my iPhone moved on to the next step in the setup process. So I think I'm OK now.

Another Update: Actually I ran into a similar error on the iPhone again, but I seem to making some progress via iTunes on my MacBook. It looks like the phone had iOS version 10.2.1 on it (i.e., *really* old). So maybe that has something to do with the issues. iTunes is supposedly downloading the OS update now.

I bought an SE (T-Mobile) and had the same issue.

I posted in another thread what I did to get it up and going without any issues.

Reactions: LizKat

solarmon

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Still rocking multiple SEs here, with my small hands. Dreading the day I have to upgrade. I will hold out as long as possible. Hope Apple makes a small phone again soon.
I just grabbed a 128G SE on clearance, big discount! So happy. Will keep the 64G (in use now 3 years) as backup/iPod. And yes, I hope Tim
Can't understand most of Macrumors readers' obsession with the SE? Who wants to read books, news, emails or consume media on that thing? If you want a small phone to just text and answer calls, I get it. Anything else, larger displays is the way to go.
Actually, you DO get it. While I cannot speak for all SE lovers, in our case (spouse too) we use iPad minis for all reading, news, emails, and we have Apple TV connected to large screen TV. Therefore, iPhone just needs to be right size for pocket and hand, which means smaller is better. Love the SE, but if Tim Apple brought out a iPhone 4 redux, I’d grab it in a heart beat. I could easily get by with just 9 or 12 apps on page 1 of screen. Really, how many can a person use.
But I understand people who only want one screen want it to be larger, not knocking them.

ScooterComputer

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
Therefore, iPhone just needs to be right size for pocket and hand, which means smaller is better.
Add to that the use of Bluetooth headsets or AirPods… I've been using Bluetooth headsets since before the iPhone was a thing, and I can't fathom holding a phone to my head anymore. (Like an animal! ;)) Once it becomes that unnecessary to un-pocket your iPhone, the need for a larger size of screen just dissolves. I also carry an iPad mini 2 when I want to "get things done", and my iPhone is little more than a radio/battery combination, where smaller is better, pocketable but usable.
(FWIW, I wish that Apple would work a bit more on getting Siri to work like Voice Control used to, where commands were handled on device. When I say "Hey Siri, call (contact name)", there really is little reason that Siri should be sending that over the network to Apple's servers. "Call (contact)" was a function that Voice Control did entirely on the phone back in iPhone 3GS days, inexplicably why Siri isn't that smart now. Reason being, I seem to be in an area with just-spotty-enough cell signals that "simple" Siri commands like that fail enough to be annoying, and then require me to pull my iPhone out of my pocket.)

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat and solarmon

solarmon

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Add to that the use of Bluetooth headsets or AirPods… I've been using Bluetooth headsets since before the iPhone was a thing, and I can't fathom holding a phone to my head anymore. (Like an animal! ;)) Once it becomes that unnecessary to un-pocket your iPhone, the need for a larger size of screen just dissolves. I also carry an iPad mini 2 when I want to "get things done", and my iPhone is little more than a radio/battery combination, where smaller is better, pocketable but usable.
(FWIW, I wish that Apple would work a bit more on getting Siri to work like Voice Control used to, where commands were handled on device. When I say "Hey Siri, call (contact name)", there really is little reason that Siri should be sending that over the network to Apple's servers. "Call (contact)" was a function that Voice Control did entirely on the phone back in iPhone 3GS days, inexplicably why Siri isn't that smart now. Reason being, I seem to be in an area with just-spotty-enough cell signals that "simple" Siri commands like that fail <i>enough</i> to be annoying, and then require me to pull my iPhone out of my pocket.)
Xcellant points. Many voice commands should/could be handled on the local device.

Reactions: LizKat

jow99

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2017
Some more stock has shown up on the clearance site. They either found some more or these are returns/cancellations.

ScooterComputer

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
Xcellant points. Many voice commands should/could be handled on the local device.
I wouldn't even mind if I had to "train" Siri more to get it to work. I just am tired of getting "Sorry… something went wrong." In my town there are two known over-provisioned cell towers. When I'm driving in those areas during peak hours, nothing more annoying than having Siri go dumb with 4 bars of service, unable to switch apps or call a contact I need to talk to before an appointment, just because the data network is hammered. What's craziest is that now that most people message vs calling, the cell towers that don't have data capacity have plenty of voice channel capacity… so as long as I touch my iPhone and make the call, it works. Just Siri won't. Which is especially bad when driving.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I wouldn't even mind if I had to "train" Siri more to get it to work. I just am tired of getting "Sorry… something went wrong." In my town there are two known over-provisioned cell towers. When I'm driving in those areas during peak hours, nothing more annoying than having Siri go dumb with 4 bars of service, unable to switch apps or call a contact I need to talk to before an appointment, just because the data network is hammered. What's craziest is that now that most people message vs calling, the cell towers that don't have data capacity have plenty of voice channel capacity… so as long as I touch my iPhone and make the call, it works. Just Siri won't. Which is especially bad when driving.
What network are you on? Just curious.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
It strikes me that many people who love the SE are using it how Apple originally intended it to be used.

ie as an on the go casual computing device, with your main computing happening on your Mac - and by the time of the iPhone 5, your at home ‘casual consumption’ happening on your iPad.

Additionally, it strikes me that those who scoff at the SE are using their phones as their primary computing devices.

I guess people like these are in the majority now - hence all of the jumbo phones that we see around us.

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
Lol there are obviously more things that I didn’t list that also improve the functionality of the phone. How does everything being faster overall, 3D Touch, better cameras etc not increase the functionality of the phone?

It’s ok to like the iPhone SE, but to say that the new iPhones aren’t “much better” than the SE is completely false. It’s ok to enjoy 1 thing without bashing the other thing.

Hopefully they do update the SE. But shout out to everyone who thinks it’s the perfect device.

With all respect, you missed my point entirely.
How does giving a phone a faster CPU, better camera, better screen, but running the same operating system as before, provide it with any more FUNCTIONALITY ?

In any case, for my uses the SE hardware is more than good enough.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
With all respect, you missed my point entirely.
How does giving a phone a faster CPU, better camera, better screen, but running the same operating system as before, provide it with any more FUNCTIONALITY ?

In any case, for my uses the SE hardware is more than good enough.

Huh? How did I miss your point? Some FUNCTIONS are allowed on these newer phones because of the better screen, faster CPU, better cameras etc Lol.

True Tone allows new functionality for the screen. Being able to get warmer or cooler on the fly automatically.

Dual lenses allows for Portrait Mode on the rear camera and True Depth allows it with the front camera. That’s a function.

Faster CPUs allow the new phones to have more Safari tabs open and things operating in the background etc, thus increasing functionality.

Idk why you’re acting like these things don’t improve the phone’s functions. And then some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.