Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I can only speak from personal experience, but it's all about the size for me, not the price point .

The price point was the other significant half factor for the SE, if you watch the March 2016 keynote, Greg Joswiak (VP of marketing), he specifically mentioned the SE was intended to be an affordable entry-level phone, but still accommodating the 4 inch display factor that consumers wanted. I would say the price point is equally as important as the display size for the SE.

Reactions: ijbond

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
This video feels a little biased, but with good reason. Lots of people get used to newer, bigger phones and "can't go back".

Meanwhile, I used 3.5" iPod touch's for 7 years and got a 4" iPod touch for 2 years before getting my iPhone 6. So 2 years later, I still miss the smaller screen (sometimes even of the 3.5". Every day I pick up my iPhone and get slightly irritated at how unnecessarily big it is. And I hate the lock button being on the side.

Everyone is different, I guess. I'm still hoping for a smaller form factor to be released sometime.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Can't understand most of Macrumors readers' obsession with the SE? Who wants to read books, news, emails or consume media on that thing? If you want a small phone to just text and answer calls, I get it. Anything else, larger displays is the way to go.

Some of us like the small size, the portability, and ease of use of the SE. It fits into pockets, can fit into one (small) hand, and is a lovely size.

And, not all of us use phones for email (I have a MBA for that), or reading books (I read actual books) or when consuming media; again, I'm happy to let my MBA handle that.

It is a phone; that is what I chiefly use it for.

The Captain

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Can't understand most of Macrumors readers' obsession with the SE? Who wants to read books, news, emails or consume media on that thing? If you want a small phone to just text and answer calls, I get it. Anything else, larger displays is the way to go.

These questions always come off like asking 'why does anyone like brunettes?' Because people like different things than you. I love to read books, that's why I read.... books. A small phone is fine for email. I'm not blind. Your experience with the world is not the default one for all humans. You might as well be asking why do people like "blue".

Why do I want a smaller phone? Because I don't wanna carry around a dinner plate in my pocket. I wear jeans, I don't want to also have a fanny pack just to hold a phone while I'm on my motorcycle. I don't like having some giant 'tech bling' smacking against me and dragging down my shorts while I'm riding my bicycle. When I go to a bistro for lunch I don't want my phone to take up half the table if I sit it down. I do things where a large phone is annoying. I don't need or want a large phone since 'the phone' is not a lifestyle for me. I just want the tech to 'do it's thing' and then disappear into the background of my life.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
It’s a little Frankenstein phone, logic board and camera from the 6s, Touch ID is gen 1 like the one from iPhone 6 and it’s too slow, screen from the 5s and it looks a little bit washed out. Great hardware for it’s price thought, powerful for 2019 tasks and with potential to be supported for 2-3 more years. I am glad my dad was convinced to replace his aging 5 with it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
These questions always come off like asking 'why does anyone like brunettes?' Because people like different things than you. I love to read books, that's why I read.... books. A small phone is fine for email. I'm not blind. Your experience with the world is not the default one for all humans. You might as well be asking why do people like "blue".

Why do I want a smaller phone? Because I don't wanna carry around a dinner plate in my pocket. I wear jeans, I don't want to also have a fanny pack just to hold a phone while I'm on my motorcycle. I don't like having some giant 'tech bling' smacking against me and dragging down my shorts while I'm riding my bicycle. When I go to a bistro for lunch I don't want my phone to take up half the table if I sit it down. I do things where a large phone is annoying. I don't need or want a large phone since 'the phone' is not a lifestyle for me. I just want the tech to 'do it's thing' and then disappear into the background of my life.

Very well said, and not only because I am in agreement with you.

While some of us do not care much for the larger sizes, I have yet to see posts, or threads, wondering aloud as to why people could possibly want such monsters in their lives.

Some of us love that small, neat form factor of the iPhone SE, and find it more convenient, relevant and useful to our lives and needs.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001

What's to understand? Sometimes the convenience is more important than the viewing experience. I personally don't want a device quite that small, but I absolutely understand the desires of those who do.

TechFounder

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2015
The problem with Cook is that he has no taste. Imagine a SE sized iPhone that's like the new iPad Pro shrunk down to the SE's footprint. It will literally sell like hotcakes. For some reason, Cook doesn't understand that people aren't willing to buy crap at inflated prices. The XR is a POS. People use to make fun of phablets why are they stopping now? Why don't you turn iPad minis into phones and let those fools go at it?

If Steve were alive he would only have 2 iPhones sizes. A small SE sized one and a large Plus sized phone. Cook is so dumb that he's completely forgotten the Apple ethos.

Last edited:

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009

I don't want one but my grand kids do. Ha! Apple there are a ton of kids out there that would love to have one and parents willing to buy them at that price range. Start them off while they are young in the Apple system. Don't let other makers rule that market?

AdamJD

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
As someone still using the iPhone SE, I find this article a bit corny.

I've been in to the Apple store and played with the new phones several times. Speed is a complete non-issue with the SE. It's not like the 4s was at the same age. It's a bit faster than a 6s because it has less pixels to push.

The video quality is great (and I often use it for interviews, intros, BRoll, etc). If you never saw Apple of My Eye (shot only with and iPhone 4), it's a great reminder of what good lighting and cinematography can do even when you don't have the latest and greatest. It's also a great short example of how important the story is.

My ONLY issue with the SE is the screen size. I would like to do more with FILMIC (which works great), but the screen is a bit small. I love still having a headphone jack and one-hand operation (something I think people often overlook). If screen size isn't an issue, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Oh, one other HUGE positive...NO NOTCH!

Last edited:

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I had a X and a 7 Plus for a while before going to the SE. I haven’t really seen much in the way of performance difference between the devices in speed. It definitely does not feel like an old phone in that regard.

I actually like the rounded design of the newer phones better, but funny enough I prefer the boxy design for iPads like the current Pro. I got an Otterbox Symmetry case for the SE and it gives the illusion of the phone being rounded without making it bulky.

The SE is a great value for the price, and for that reason alone I do not see Apple releasing another phone like this with their increasingly greedy ways.

And if you don’t mind being tied to a carrier, you could possibly get a new one from a carrier for $150 like I did in September.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I didn't buy an SE to review it and could have told you that "If you don't care about camera quality, prefer a smaller screen, and don't need to use processor-intensive apps and games, the iPhone SE is a compact, easy-to-hold smartphone that still holds up even in 2019."

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
The SE is not the screen size I want but I picked one up last month. It does everything I use it for, has the memory size I need and best of all, the price point. If Apple does decide to come out with an updated SE with same price range, I would consider getting it.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
It feels really great without finger cramps!!

Fact is, I just switched back from Xs to a brand new SE. tge only thing I missed from the Xs is its battery life, but this little fella charges so fast, so not quite a big deal.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
The iPhone SE is the official Coachella phone.

You can take it with you, get out of this world drunk and if you lose it/it's stolen it's no big deal, your $1500 XS Max is at the hotel anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.