Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t.sweeney

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2019
The iPhone SE is a great phone, but I still think the iPhone 4S was the perfect phone. My main criticism of the SE is that it is too big and heavy. If they could keep the screen size, but give it the iPhone X treatment so space is not wasted at the top and bottom it would be great. A bit thinner as well. Then the icing would be waterproof and rugged - the iPhone Sport!

For those that criticise what you can do with an iPhone SE - I use mine for a lot more than what most people I know do with their iPhone 8/X, etc.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Can't understand most of Macrumors readers' obsession with the SE? Who wants to read books, news, emails or consume media on that thing?

You don't need to understand their need and love for the iPhone SE; it is their prerogative. It is not just MacRumors readers who prefer this size iPhone - a lot of people using this device don't know about MacRumors. They seem to have a life.:rolleyes:;)

Funnily, most people still use their smartphones as telephones that are not multimedia screens - they have huge flat-screen 1080p and above TVs for that. Neck pain and worn cervical vertebrae at a young age is the reward for using a smartphone for reading books, texting for hours on end, etc.

Email texts are about the same size and not that important anymore. Most people above the age of 40 who need help needing reading glasses, use them with their phones - the younger ones don't need help.

Last edited:

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
I was stuck getting an XS since they didn't have the SE anymore. I kept my SE, and far prefer it to the XS. If they updated the SE and brought it back, you'd better believe I'd get one.
Using SE and XS, the same is true for me. Give SE a better Camera and Dual-SIM and it will do all I need travelling the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: ijbond

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
have to wonder why anyone would want a 4" iPhone in this day and age. I'm guessing it's people who can't afford the larger phone or people who are purchasing a cheap baby iPhone for their kids.
And you would be wrong. I have an SE, and an XS. While the XS is a good phone, it's WAY above what I need or use. Seriously considering giving the XS to my son and going back to my SE. OBTW, my son is 42 and obviously I could afford the XS (Paid for it outright).

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I switched from a 5S to the SE when it came out because I just did not like the 6. The size, how everything was round and it easily slipped out of my hand. I handle a modern iPhone at every opportunity that I can, Apple stores, friends, colleagues and I like them less and less every iteration. I don't get the appeal of wireless headphones (another item to charge, easy to lose, poor sound quality on the affordable ones), they're heavy, I really need both hands to use them, they're awkward in the pocket or used a phone, holding the thing to your ear...

What's having an SE like? Except for some apps (mostly Apple ones) clearly not being optimized for the small screen, it's great. Does not slip out of your hand (I never use a case), you can rest it on its side for selfies, group photos with the 10s timer, just put on a shelf during Facetime calls to be at eye level with both hands free (I do that a lot while cooking or getting ready in the bathroom). I charge it while using the earbuds in bed, I can charge it up a bunch of times with the tiny power bank. I enjoy the step counter, touch ID, live photos, the camera, the 2-tone flash.

About once a year I remove the lint out of the charge port and the headphone jack with a tooth pick so the ports work as on day one. I changed the battery for the first time recently. Apple would have needed the phone for about a week and that was a no-no for me so I got the kit for 25 EUR and did it myself, easy peasy. I'm holding onto it as long as I can.

The only thing I don't like about the SE is that the power button has too much clearance so it wiggles around a bit, making a mechanical buzzing sound when it's vibrating. Apple learned from the 5S and gave it just a bit more clearance. I wouldn't mind the taptic engine with 3D touch, but that's apparently getting out of style anyway and few apps implement it in a meaningful way.

Last edited:

brookespeed

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2019
I predict a tiny iPhone this fall. The rumors about an iPod Touch update were based on a small screen from a supplier (I think). I'd bet they are going to disrupt the giant phone/small tablet model. It will go great paired with an Apple watch or iPad. I'm more of an Android user, but I bought an SE when they went on sale in January for my girlfriend. I said this is the last chance to get an affordable small phone until the Android makers follow Apple with the small phone trend.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Don’t you think some of these ‘legacy products’ are actually is what keeping some Apple fanatics somewhat loyal, being that no other smart phone manufacture really offered a 4 inch iPhone.

Maybe, but it's likely a small number of people, and these people don't seem to have interest buying anything modern anyway, so it's a self-defeating market to serve.

Apple needs to stop selling such old products, drop the dead weight, simplify their line up, and move on. Selling old products just keeps them in a complacency rut.

Reactions: az431

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
As an SE owner I have absolutely no problems using it today. Cameras are always getting better, so sure, I’d like a better camera. A waterproof phone would be nice. But other than that the SE works great for my needs. I get by just fine using the SE for mail and web browsing. I don’t watch movies on it nor do I want to.

Personally I don’t want to pay $1,000 for something that easily breaks when dropped. Personally I don’t want something that doesn’t fit easily in my front pocket. Smartphones are supposed to make life better. Worrying about an expensive, easily breakable thing I casually take in and out of my pocket doesn’t make my life better. If it makes other people’s lives better that is fine. But for me there is no current model Apple phone I have any interest in purchasing. I’ll hope to be able to tell you how it is using an iPhone SE in 2022. Otherwise it won’t be an Apple product I’m using.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
For me, the price of an iPhone doesn't matter, I thank God for it.

But for the majority of the world's population it's different. Apple has recognized that the mass population in China and India can hardly be enthusiastic about expensive iPhones. Also, their population doesn't have to state the latest of the new, they just need a reliable iPhone.

I am curious how Apple will try to increase its market share for content. Offering Apple Music, Apple News etc on Google and Android is one way I personally abhor. The other would be to conquer the world and new people with a buyable SE2. This secures Apple's global position and profits in the medium term.

Why Tim Cook seems not to take that into account remains a mystery to me.

I love the hardware and the operating philosophy of the SE in all its details. Even without Face-ID and bulky display, it is simply a powerhouse. Only a better camera and Dual-Sim would look good on an SE2 for me. In my daily comparison, I realize that my XS doesn't just have advantages. 'New' is no guarantee that something will get better.

Last edited:

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2013
For me, it's like using a iPhone SE in the days of iOS 10 but with much shorter battery life as it seems that iOS 12 is not optimized for SE.

I have just update from 10 to 12 three weeks ago.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I was able to outfit our family of 3 with our first smartphones for $1000 in 2017. Plus none of us are big phone users - more ipad, mac, and mbp users. The phone is just a way to call or text us when were’re on the go. The thing fits in our pockets and we don’t even feel it - you can’t even tell that we’re happy to see you ;)

Reactions: ijbond and ssgbryan

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I broke my 6S+ so picked up SE 128GB for $299.

I'm very happy with it for one unexpected reason - I use it less! I still have my productivity stuff - maps, email, text, slack, duo, uber, etc.. but its not great for media consumption. Screen Time shows I've gotten back a few hours per week!

It is nice being able to use it one handed, and its so light and small I don't even notice in my pocket.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I would be curious how much of each batch they sold out of. People keep saying how popular it is based upon selling out quickly. Did they sell a couple dozen or a couple million?

reezekeys

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2018
New York city area
I got my unlocked 32GB SE this past August, a refurb from Ebay for $170 - I checked the IMEI number and it was only four months old! In perfect condition. Popped the SIM card from my old & broken 5S and was good to go. So far it's been great. The camera & processor is a very decent step up from my 5S which I felt immediately. Apple Pay was new for me and I use it all the time. Yes, I'm missing out on the whiz-bang tech goodies, AR, portrait mode, animojis, etc. The big screens on the new phones are nice, sure. But at the end of the day I have a very capable unlocked phone I own free and clear (with a headphone jack!), that I paid only $170 for. I'm very happy with my choice.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Still rocking multiple SEs here, with my small hands. Dreading the day I have to upgrade. I will hold out as long as possible. Hope Apple makes a small phone again soon.

I'm the opposite, massive hands, consequently no room for a phone in my pants pockets. That's why I need something that fits nicely in a shirt pocket.

Can't understand most of Macrumors readers' obsession with the SE? Who wants to read books, news, emails or consume media on that thing? If you want a small phone to just text and answer calls, I get it. Anything else, larger displays is the way to go.

Yeah, not everyone uses a phone in the same ways. I have an iPad & laptop for mobility and a 27" iMac for in the house. I have no use for squinting at even a 6 inch screen for media consumption or gaming. My phone is just an on-the-go communication device, and an information device only in a pinch for web or nav. And with a smartwatch, earpiece and voice control, I may only pull the phone if I need to respond to a correspondence. In the home I rarely touch the iPhone, I use the iPad or iMac for phone calls and messaging via handoff. Compact devices that tuck easily out of the way for easy travel until needed is the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.