Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
I sold my SE for an iPhone 7 after a month i missed the small size of the SE and bought a 64GB SE of ebay for the total sum of £68, the SE was in pristine condition & has 93% battery health only problem cracked screen, which i replaced myself with a genuine refurbished one and the phone now looks as good as new.

To me the SE makes the perfect phone to use at work with it being small.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
The iPhone 5/5s/5se is my favorite iPhone design. It just feels and looks solid. Everything else looks so similar to other Android phones. The camera is great that provided you know what you are doing. iPhone 5SE shoots 12mpeg like the others. Plus that's not a huge selling point when you only need 5mpeg to print a 4x6 image.

Who needs a large screen? Its a phone people lol. I can see all you do with a huge screen plus its only 0.7in smaller than the 7 or 8.

Lets hope Apple will keep this size and style too. OOhh Lets call it the iPhone XSE :)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Or switch to a different kind of phone.

Yah that's what I was saying until I got nervous about whether the SE would run an iOS past 12, and so upgraded to the XR. I was saying I'd get a dumb phone before getting a big smartphone.

As much as I say I don't regret acquiring the XR --and I don't, really-- I'm nearly ready to swap out the XR from my carrier account, put the SE back on it or else cancel the carrier plan outright and use both the XR and SE as WiFi devices (hah, a skinny "tablet" and something way better than an iPod 6th gen entertainment device) -- and then just get a dumb phone for handling my cell calls.

I really didn't think once I made up my mind about the upgrade to the XR that I would end up being so unhappy about the size of thing once I had "got used to it". I think now I was signing up for an accommodation I'm not really capable of maintaining. Not as a "mobile phone".

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

halluxsinister

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2017
Naah. Some of us that are female and actually DO have "smawl an' effeminate" hands like being able to dial with the same hand the device is being held with. Besides, have you ever dealt with the ugly reality of how stupidly small the front pockets in women's pants are? Christ on a cracker.. my SE *barely* fits in them.

I agree, foodandart. (in response to the post from johnnygee...)
Also, why does it being 2019 make a four-inch phone bad? Did my hands get bigger suddenly? Did my eyes get larger? Did my pockets get larger? Why the frack do I suddenly need a bigger PHONE?

Are you still carrying around that 1 liter bottle of water in 2019? Ha! You should be carrying this FIVE GALLON BOTTLE! OH, WHAT.. you can’t AFFORD it? What about your car keys? It’s 2019, your car key should be at least 9 inches long, and house key should be at least 7 inches... hey, are you still wearing shoes that are only slightly larger than your feet? Why?!? It’s 2019 for Chrissakes... you should be wearing clown shoes! Are you driving a car that can’t go more than 225 mph? Why?!? It’s 2019, can’t you afford a car with that capability?!? Bwahahahahah you don’t have a super car, lol...

It’s absurd. You squander thousands of dollars buying a ludicrously overpowered and overpriced device every time Apple wants to put up a new building on some of the most expensive land in California, if not the country, if it pleases you to do so. I don’t use a plasma torch to light candles. I don’t use a fire hose to water my lawn. I wouldn’t use an artillery piece to shoot t-shirts into an audience. I don’t use a machete to butter toast, and I think that the iPhone SE is the perfect phone, and I think Apple “leadership” were MORONS for discontinuing it.

Absurd, isn’t it? You really can’t see it?

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
How informative - I feel fully prepared to seriously consider the purchase of an iPhone SE now :rolleyes:

Sensa2004

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
While some in this thread may question what the rest of us see in the SE I question why Cook & Company can't see the merits of the form factor.

Many have stated what they like about the SE and I agree with everything they said. I bought mine the day they were released. I have a 16 GB model and have 8.42 GB's of free space. My usage last week was less than an hour a day.

I want a reasonably priced quality phone, without all the bells and whistles, that keeps me in the Apple ecosystem that isn't cumbersome and fits easily into the front pocket of my jeans (with a silicone case on it).

But more importantly having a phone like the SE in the line-up is no different than Toyota producing Corolla's. Provide the entry level consumer with a quality product hoping that as they achieve upward mobility and/or maturing needs (family etc) they buy your more expensive and profitable products. It's really Business 101.

With the decline of subsidies and positioning themselves as an even more premium product Apple is completely forgoing the student and emerging market customer. Is it any wonder that Apple can't make a meaningful breakthrough in India, governmental policies aside, when they don't even offer a phone the vast majority of Indians can remotely afford? An updated SE would go a long way to providing Apple with a means of establishing a real presence in India and create a new generation of Apple users in a country with a potential for a vast middle class.

With recent troubles in China, that appear to be the result of price sensitivity as much as anything else, no real presence in India and other emerging markets and a significant number of consumers like me it borders on professional corporate negligence that Apple doesn't offer an updated SE (and for me the only real updates needed are the chips and modems - could give a rats ass about the camera, screen, face id etc).

deanaoxo

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2019
gainesville, florida
I've had people ask me what it was, i guess because it was fast and, ahem, small. My whole life i waited for a tricorder, as soon as they make the perfect one, it is discontinued. For me, the size is everything. I'm far to active for a bigger phone, and the people i know, that do some of the stuff we do, they break these giant(to me)phones all the time. I srsly do not understand this craving for a giant thing in your pocket. I've never had trouble with the screen size, and i have to wear glasses now. I can still read a book, watch YouTube, post to insta, check my email(only if i absolutely have to)take amazing pictures and it's fast. If i had the dough when i first started seeing the refurbs, i would of bought one just as an insurance policy. Also, because it is smaller, i stopped using a case some where around 4 years ago. I have mixed feelings about the holes in it(headphone which i use and charging)because i work with wood, and seem to be able to clog them up in a couple of days. So, yeah, and one of my younger friends swears by the wireless buds, so, who knows. I do hope they come back to the form factor, oh, and BTW, over $400 is to much for a friggin phone. It just is. Yeah, i know, but hey, It's still a lot of dough to me.

Reactions: NightFixer

MikeSmoke

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
I really don’t understand why Apple does not address the smaller size phone customer with an updated SE replacement. I always liked my 4s and only went to a 6s because the 4s really bogged down with the last supported iOS version. If I needed a new phone today I would give a good look at one of these clearance SE models. The prices are almost too low to pass even if you don’t immediately need it. It’s like buying an iPod Touch but getting a phone.

skwash

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
I had the 5S, and still is my favorite industrial design.

Would love to see a large phone with the same case design.

Similar to what they’ve done with the newest iPad Pros

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Honestly after I had read some post in here tonight from someone who bought an annual prepaid plan and SIM for an SE (Mint Moble in CA?) I thought about looking into equivalents here because I've upgraded to an XR which I like very much for a lot of reasons, but most definitely not as a phone and not for carrying around as one outside.

I'm using the SE now as WiFi and every time I pick it up I think about reviving it as a phone. I'm not going to buy another carrier line and mess with my plan there, which has a discount carried forward year to year on no-contract now,,,, and I only use even the XR on WiFi calling since I live in a dead zone. So it would be an unjustifiable expense to bother with the SE as phone again, I suppose. But the heft and size of the XR make one handed use impossible and the thing doesn't sit in a jeans pocket. These are turning out to be bigger deals to me than I had even imagined.

I'm looking at Mint mobile (it's a prepaid plan) for my newly purchased SE.

I purchased their introductory offer in order to try it out (3 month SIM with unlimited text, messages, and 8GB high speed data / month for a total price of $20 + tax) (i.e. less than $7 + tax / month). It's on the T-Mobile network which seems to be better for me then it was a couple of years ago (note: T-Mobile customers will get priority over Mint Mobile customers in the event of network congestion). It doesn't mean much but I'm seeing data speeds around 30M in speedtest and the voice quality is good. They also support WiFi calling.

Unless you pre-paying for a year, their plans can be more costly. Pre-paying for a year on their cheapest plan cost $15 / month for unlimited voice, text, and 3GB high speed data / month.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
You make it sound like the SE is from ten years ago haha. Several of my family are still using 6S's with no problems. Heck, I'm rocking an iPhone 5 with iOS 6. Does everything I want of it, though it could use some upgraded specs and a current browser.

I have relatively large hands and I find it far easier to type on than the larger iPhones, oddly enough. I love that screen size.

I like small displays...and small phones. I still have no problem with 3.5" displays, either.
Still rocking iOS 6 in 2019?! How is that going for you?

I'm mainly shocked because I managed to stick with iOS 6 until Jan 2018. But it finally got to a point that support for apps was just too far gone, even with jailbreak workarounds. God do I miss that design and experience. Over the years I built up a mini hoard of iPhone 5 on iOS 6. Including one, still in the plastic, on 6.1.3.

Reactions: Avenged110

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
im debating getting one of the apple ones as a backup. i have att but i only see t-mobile/verizon unlocked versions. is there any issue with frequencies or will they work fine with att sims?

cesko

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
Canada
Phone, listening to my audiobooks, occasional pic, Instagram, and HomeKit control of my thermostats and lights, this disabled user with major hand deformities vouches through and through for the SE.

Reactions: Porco

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Phone, listening to my audiobooks, occasional pic, Instagram, and HomeKit control of my thermostats and lights, this disabled user with major hand deformities vouches through and through for the SE.

That’s great. I agree there is so much the SE is still capable of, and it’s performance for the price is fantastic value too.

Everyone who used an iPhone before 2014, by definition, managed to use a smaller iPhone. It became the success it did as a smaller device than any they sell now. They should make another iPhone that isn’t huge, or just update the internal specs of the SE again.

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
I don't want an iPhone SE in the current form factor. I like iPhone X. I wish it were a little smaller. I'm ok with an LCD screen. I don't care to have the best camera. I just want a fast processor with full screen that's not too huge

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
I have SE as my work phone from my company. It is lightwieght and snappy but to read or write e-mails (which is what I do a lot) on 4" screen with tiny keyboard is obnoxious. For quick one-two sentence replies it is ok but to compose larger e-mail it is not.

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2017
I'm sorry, what? The 5C surely wasn't that forgettable, was it?
Yes, it was. It wasn’t a budget phone ($550 in 2013!), it was a year old iPhone 5 wrapped in a colorful new shell and priced only $100 less than the far superior 5s that is was released alongside. In a time with carrier subsidies, we’re talking about $99 with 2 year contract vs. $199 for the 5s. I don’t know how they sold a single 5c.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
im debating getting one of the apple ones as a backup. i have att but i only see t-mobile/verizon unlocked versions. is there any issue with frequencies or will they work fine with att sims?

It is just what SIM it ships with (they are all the same model).

It will work with the AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon networks (this model will not support the Sprint network).

Just replace the SIM that is in it with the network SIM that you want.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'm looking at Mint mobile (it's a prepaid plan) for my newly purchased SE.

I purchased their introductory offer in order to try it out (3 month SIM with unlimited text, messages, and 8GB high speed data / month for a total price of $20 + tax) (i.e. less than $7 + tax / month). It's on the T-Mobile network which seems to be better for me then it was a couple of years ago (note: T-Mobile customers will get priority over Mint Mobile customers in the event of network congestion). It doesn't mean much but I'm seeing data speeds around 30M in speedtest and the voice quality is good. They also support WiFi calling.

Unless you pre-paying for a year, their plans can be more costly. Pre-paying for a year on their cheapest plan cost $15 / month for unlimited voice, text, and 3GB high speed data / month.

Thanks, I should check it out. I mean I swapped the XR onto the SE's old no-contract account w/ ATT that's about 65 a month incl taxes with i think 3GB data, after a line discount they give, in hoping that I will go with their Next upgrade deal "some day". But I continue to prefer to bring a paid-up hardware upgrade to the account. So far they still let the discount cruise, it's been at last a couple upgrades I've bought the phone at Apple and swapped it in.

Still, in comparison to that, prepaying for a year for something roughly like you have sounds really good. I'd have to see how T mobile is for out-and-about in the area now, not right here where everything is sketchy but in towns where I shop and meet up with friends. There's some signal around here if you're outside, usually. I noticed once my bro phoned me from his car in my driveway when I failed to notice he'd arrived, and I was surprised he even got enough signal to make that call. So it has got some better since last time I tried a cell call from out there in the yard.

I just use WiFi calling when I'm home and my WiFi is good enough for calling from my yard so i don't even turn airplane mode off unless I'm going somewhere. I have to leave it on here in the house otherwise when I turn my modem router off the stupid thing tries to phone home all night even though it immediately fetches No Service. I guess it's too dumb to realize it hasn't moved and no tower has magically appeared on the horizon, so it keeps trying? I dunno. It runs my batt down unless i power it off or leave Airplane Mode set.

... ok so Mint Mobile does offer plans here and says service is available outdoors, so that's encouraging, should mean where I shop and meet up, everything will be fine. I can't remember right now if my SE is locked to ATT or not. Well that can be fixed if it is

Amazon has a starter kit one can use to test out if Mint Mobile's going to work okay in a given location and with a given phone, it's only five bucks for a basic supply of data, text and call time.

Thank you for the info you provided, it's helpful.
[doublepost=1551421958][/doublepost]
Yes, it was. It wasn’t a budget phone ($550 in 2013!), it was a year old iPhone 5 wrapped in a colorful new shell and priced only $100 less than the far superior 5s that is was released alongside. In a time with carrier subsidies, we’re talking about $99 with 2 year contract vs. $199 for the 5s. I don’t know how they sold a single 5c.

Actually I loved my 5c because I was tired of the skinny thin and only metal colors gig going on with the 5 series... it was so sturdy and cheerful I wanted to keep it forever but finally went for the SE. Sure the SE is space gray and boring as hell but a jellybean wrap fixed that and it's perfect size for one handed use and sticking in a pocket. I was sold on it when I picked the thing up!

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Still rocking iOS 6 in 2019?! How is that going for you?

I'm mainly shocked because I managed to stick with iOS 6 until Jan 2018. But it finally got to a point that support for apps was just too far gone, even with jailbreak workarounds. God do I miss that design and experience. Over the years I built up a mini hoard of iPhone 5 on iOS 6. Including one, still in the plastic, on 6.1.3.
Impressive! That's what I should've done, but other things took (take?) priority and my only real contingency plan is to fall back on a 4S with 6.1.3. But I really have no intention of ever giving up iOS 6; I'll use a 3GS if I have to. I could go on and on about it, but it seems you already know. I only have 5 apps on my phone (Tweetbot, iTunes Remote, Shazam, Tilt to Live, and 1Password) and I could easily live without those if I had to. Everything else still works great (though site support in Safari is a little lacking, understandably). Hopefully everything (SMS, calls, email, cell network, GPS, general hardware) will keep working for the foreseeable future.

Side note: I actually used to have a 32GB iPhone 5 (my current 16GB 5 was a backup) but the baseband failed, sadly.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Expected tons of posts from 4 inch users gnashing their teeth about discontinued tiny phones, was not disappointed.

macappuser

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2018
If you have a different carrier, can you still use the Verizon/TMobile unlocked phones? I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to work.

Sorry for the stupid question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.