Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
The more I think about it, the more it's growing on me.

I like the way Dave2D describes it - take away the idea that ASUS or any third party will design a custom UI for you. Just imagine what YOU would use the screens for. I think I would use it to have menu bars and settings windows in the various design programs I use always open - Rhino3D, The Adobe Suite, etc. Also, I think part of the screen would be my media consumption that I tend to have running on my iPad while I work - MLB, Youtube, Podcasts, etc.

Hinging on how much more they are charging for it and the thermal situation, I think ASUS has won 2019.

ASUS have a lot of experience with cooling thx to their ROG line. I use one that is rerolled as a workstation, it has zero throttling tendency and capable with software settings running at full Turbo, 3.9GHz six cores, less than 80C.

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/27/18641211/asus-zenbook-pro-duo-announced-specs-computex-2019

What’s your thoughts on this one?

I’m not sold on second screens on the surface around the keyboard or touch bar.
I could use something like that for web development, with the inspector/console on the smaller lower screen.

In many ways this would be the ultimate progression of the touchbar, wouldn't it?

I see that Intel's been playing around with the same idea: https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/28/...xclusive-dual-screen-hinge-tobii-eye-tracking

vpavic_190516_3439_0152.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The more I think about it, the more it's growing on me.
Same here, but I have two thoughts, first the keyboard has no wrist support, is a big deal for me, but also my usage case. When I'm not traveling or moving around, my laptop is on my desk hooked up to a monitor - that dual display is not as useful then. Still I do think Asus hit it out of the park, I'll wait till the dust settles.

I'm more interested in a decent windows tablet to compliment my laptop. When I travel into the office, a tablet is a better option, as I have a work computer waiting for me. A tablet works better and while it sounds like I'm a total lenovo fanboy, I do really like the X1 table (3rd gen), it hits out of the park design/component wise, but those things come at a price. I don't know about spending 1,000 for an auxiliary device that will compliment my laptop.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Same here, but I have two thoughts, first the keyboard has no wrist support, is a big deal for me, but also my usage case. When I'm not traveling or moving around, my laptop is on my desk hooked up to a monitor - that dual display is not as useful then. Still I do think Asus hit it out of the park, I'll wait till the dust settles.

I'm more interested in a decent windows tablet to compliment my laptop. When I travel into the office, a tablet is a better option, as I have a work computer waiting for me. A tablet works better and while it sounds like I'm a total lenovo fanboy, I do really like the X1 table (3rd gen), it hits out of the park design/component wise, but those things come at a price. I don't know about spending 1,000 for an auxiliary device that will compliment my laptop.

Why Windows tablet? Can you really get better than the iPad as a secondary device?
[doublepost=1559139751][/doublepost]
I could use something like that for web development, with the inspector/console on the smaller lower screen.

In many ways this would be the ultimate progression of the touchbar, wouldn't it?

I see that Intel's been playing around with the same idea: https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/28/...xclusive-dual-screen-hinge-tobii-eye-tracking

vpavic_190516_3439_0152.jpg

Awesome concept by intel. The hinge design adds a ton of bulk to it, and more moving parts naturally means more can go wrong with it, but that’s another great implementation to a second screen.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why Windows tablet? Can you really get better than the iPad as a secondary device?
I need to run windows only software and various apps that are desktop versions not iOS versions

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Reactions: kazmac and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
The hits keep coming...

Q-6
[doublepost=1559142718][/doublepost]
Dang, that looks awesome. Screen elevated to eye level, it would have more or less the same screen-to-keyboard proportions as my desktop. And they say it can handle 195W total heat, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Finally they start reinventing laptops, not only racing to who can slim them the most.

Yeah I like this concept a lot more with the built in elevation. The ZenBook Pro duo is also growing on me, as I'm starting to visualise how the additional display are can boost productivity.

Q-6
[doublepost=1559142880][/doublepost]
Could be inconvenience to use on public transportation. Imagine somebody bumping into it and break it.

It's highly unlikely that elevating the display is mandatory for basic use, making no it more unwieldly than any other notebook of this size...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
better time to be in the market for the PC, and arguably a worse time to own a Mac
There's a level of innovation we're seeing, but so far only more of the same for the Mac. Its funny, in some ways Apple was on the right track with the idea of the touchpad touchbar, but they didn't think big enough. Can you imagine how things would have turned out if Apple rolled out a full display like the Zenbook? Instead we got emojis instead of function keys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 09872738 and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
There's a level of innovation we're seeing, but so far only more of the same for the Mac. Its funny, in some ways Apple was on the right track with the idea of the touchpad, but they didn't think big enough. Can you imagine how things would have turned out if Apple rolled out a full display like the Zenbook? Instead we got emojis instead of function keys.

Apple is far more concerned with it's margins than it's customers now. Think Different has most definitely "left the room" firmly replaced with "more of the same" boring, dull, with an element of unreliability to spice things up...

Q-6

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
There's a level of innovation we're seeing, but so far only more of the same for the Mac. Its funny, in some ways Apple was on the right track with the idea of the touchpad, but they didn't think big enough. Can you imagine how things would have turned out if Apple rolled out a full display like the Zenbook? Instead we got emojis instead of function keys.

... instead, once the RTX Studio models are out, Apple asks twice the price compared to one of these but giving you 1/4 of the performance.
There was a time where the ROI of Macs was considered about 4x better compared to Wintels. Today we‘re about to see the opposite

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac and Queen6

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
recliner for a toy poodle!
someone mentioned web design and having the extra screen for code, that is a great idea.
but we need palm rest or what is the point?

Queen6

macrumors G4
... instead, once the RTX Studio models are out, Apple asks twice the price compared to one of these but giving you 1/4 of the performance.
There was a time where the ROI of Macs was considered about 4x better compared to Wintels. Today we‘re about to see the opposite

Such a pity "FarceBook" is already taken, naturally the "Pro" option remains open "FarceBook Pro" that works :p:p:p

Q-6

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't get this whole "Studio" thing, Quadros have been around for ages and there was always a split between gaming and pro workstations. The only difference is Nvidia, in March, started releasing "Creators Ready" drivers for the civilian graphics cards promising improvements in pro apps and more stability, so now they sort of create perception that you have officially sanctioned "Pro" machine without forking extra cash on Quadro. But I honestly don't see any differences, both these and "Gamers Ready" drivers perform the same and both are crashing my system from time to time when 2080Ti is connected in eGPU. I actually went back to RX580 to drive my monitors when using a laptop and put the big boy RTX where it belongs - in a desktop.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I don't get this whole "Studio" thing, Quadros have been around for ages and there was always a split between gaming and pro workstations. The only difference is Nvidia, in March, started releasing "Creators Ready" drivers for the civilian graphics cards promising improvements in pro apps and more stability, so now they sort of create perception that you have officially sanctioned "Pro" machine without forking extra cash on Quadro. But I honestly don't see any differences, both these and "Gamers Ready" drivers perform the same and both are crashing my system from time to time when 2080Ti is connected in eGPU. I actually went back to RX580 to drive my monitors when using a laptop and put the big boy RTX where it belongs - in a desktop.

I expect the drivers to be more focused on stability. I switched to gaming notebooks off the back of an impromptu conversation. To be frank I've never had more stable portables that can dissipate heat from the major components or perform better. On the client side I've had more positive comment with the gaming solutions than any Mac, they simply don't care about the aesthetic they are all about the output.

TBH I love these notebooks as they seriously perform, they have upgrade paths, don't present issue, are far cheaper than a certified portable workstations and they generally have better cooling

I know often vaunted, equally "proof is in the pudding"
3100CB (No Taskbar).jpg

I look what's on the market and choose what works for me, polished or unpolished it needs to deliver...

Q-6

Last edited:

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
TBH I love these notebooks as they seriously perform, they have upgrade paths, don't present issue, far cheaper than a certified portable workstation and they generally have better cooling
Yeah, me to, I just don't understand the introduction of that Studio brand. It is almost like they're trying to tell people who can't read the gaming laptop specs - " hey, you can totally use it for professional work!!".

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yeah, me to, I just don't understand the introduction of that Studio brand. It is almost like they're trying to tell people who can't read the gaming laptop specs - " hey, you can totally use it for professional work!!".

Erm, raises hands.:p:eek::p
The studio branding caught this hobbyist-semi prosumer’s attention as this sub forum has been super helpful as I keep trying to move to Windows. Everyone here is great. I have never owned anything but Macs. So seeing these made me read up on the specs more, and I appreciate the conversation about stability.

The Asus -and especially Intel dual screen- laptops are great ideas. I would have loved the Intel while I was designing web sites.

I am going to try to wait for some of these studio machines to be released, but most are probably way beyond my needs.

Thanks for your helpful posts.:)

Reactions: Thysanoptera
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.