Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Last year today Lenovo introduced some new laptops before the CES. I heard of rumors of lower end ones with new CPU and GPU but not higher end Thinkpads. Heard anything yet?

Pretty much what you heard is all I have seen rumored. Possible nVidia 1160 for the Y530 and one other model as far as Lenovo goes. Doesn't sound like a splash.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Pretty much what you heard is all I have seen rumored. Possible nVidia 1160 for the Y530 and one other model as far as Lenovo goes. Doesn't sound like a splash.

The thermal info of the new GPU has not been released yet. I will keep my X1E box unopened until next week.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
HP already has RTX 2070 Max Q in their new Omen 15 laptop but that thing is thicker than any X-series Thinkpad.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
So some companies including Razer announced new laptops with 20x0 GPU. Unless they are released, we won’t know if these new laptops are jet engine noise free?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
we won’t know if these new laptops are jet engine noise free?
I'd say the odds are extremely high that fan noise is not something that will go away, especially when you have to consider the use of coffee Lake chipsets and even if the Nvidia rolls out new GPUs that consumer less power, they still generate heat.

I think you're focusing on the wrong class of machines, if you want a whisper quiet laptop, you need to look at fanless models (that use integrated gpus and intel's ultra low powered cpus).

Performance comes at a price, and that is heat, there's no way around the laws of physics.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I'd say the odds are extremely high that fan noise is not something that will go away, especially when you have to consider the use of coffee Lake chipsets and even if the Nvidia rolls out new GPUs that consumer less power, they still generate heat.

I think you're focusing on the wrong class of machines, if you want a whisper quiet laptop, you need to look at fanless models (that use integrated gpus and intel's ultra low powered cpus).

Performance comes at a price, and that is heat, there's no way around the laws of physics.

Yes, so I have dropped my requirements of Nvidia GPU (iGPU is OK) and six-core CPU (4-core is OK). My main interest now is a laptop with 15" screen at 4K or near 4K resolutions, below 1.8kg, quiet and have 6-8 hours of battery life.

Razer just announced a new version of the laptop you tried few months ago. Other main companies have already announced new laptops. Lenovo still has not made any announcement. If MS releases the SB3, I would be interested but it looks like it won't happen until this Fall.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Yes, so I have dropped my requirements of Nvidia GPU (iGPU is OK) and six-core CPU (4-core is OK). My main interest now is a laptop with 15" screen at 4K or near 4K resolutions, below 1.8kg, quiet and have 6-8 hours of battery life.

Razer just announced a new version of the laptop you tried few months ago. Other main companies have already announced new laptops. Lenovo still has not made any announcement. If MS releases the SB3, I would be interested but it looks like it won't happen until this Fall.

LG Gram.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I’ve already seen the one u wanted to, the new Razer with the RTX graphics! I watched the Nvidia conference and what RTX offers is simply incredible and way ahead of AMD.
The thing is with these, the top end nuts huge madly overpowered beast gaming computers that were also shown are cheaper then the maxes out MacBook Pro, which would cry and the lack of power compared to these new machines.

Apple really really really really really really really really really has prices itself out of the market IMO, compared to the power on tap with PCs, you’ve got to really love that Mac OS experience to buy into it.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I’ve already seen the one u wanted to, the new Razer with the RTX graphics! I watched the Nvidia conference and what RTX offers is simply incredible and way ahead of AMD.
The thing is with these, the top end nuts huge madly overpowered beast gaming computers that were also shown are cheaper then the maxes out MacBook Pro, which would cry and the lack of power compared to these new machines.

Apple really really really really really really really really really has prices itself out of the market IMO, compared to the power on tap with PCs, you’ve got to really love that Mac OS experience to buy into it.

I am building a workstation with RTX 2080 so I don't care about the GPU of the laptop.
[doublepost=1546898416][/doublepost]

Owning Apple products is a symbol of status among super rich university students and grandmom from the big country in the far east. As long as they buy, TC does not care about the rest of the world.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I’m a little disappointed, Lenovo looks like will upgrade only the Legion, Razer has the rtx only in the single SSD config. How are they supposed to run a frickin 2080 max-q in that slimmmed down Razor? I may buy it just to find out. But will wait until end of January anyway, 40 laptops with RTX?

In other news, in case you missed it, Nvidia threw a white flag and will publish drivers allowing its cards to work with freesync monitors ( I mean able to adjust the frequency, just like GSync). Which eliminates 90% of reasons to buy AMD GPU.

Reactions: jrichards1408

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
So Thinkpad X1C7 and X1Y4 will be available for purchase in June and laptops with Ice Lake will be available for purchase in the second half of the year? So, X1 Extreme 2 may get Ice Lake CPU? It may come in October?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
So Thinkpad X1C7 and X1Y4 will be available for purchase in June and laptops with Ice Lake will be available for purchase in the second half of the year? So, X1 Extreme 2 may get Ice Lake CPU? It may come in October?

I personally have no idea what will come in October. I tried to ask the oracle, but it wasn't much help :)

magic8ball.jpg

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I would be very happy if I could have a crystal ball that could tell the future.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I haven't been keeping up with CES at all but before I go do my research - the big win for me would be an X1 Carbon or other thin and lights with an MX150. Just a little extra oomph in light of the fact that Intel seems to be limiting Iris to only a few lines of mobile CPU.

Like does anything new other than Coffee Lake U have one?

Edit: And speaking of the X1, 1440p HDR is great but glass overlay with touch would be great too. I was in Costco today and that 1080p panel and the price are still bummers.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Lots of choices for this year. Since Ice Lake CPU has lower TDP, perhaps we can get quiet and powerful laptops this Fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.