Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The setting for the first Blade Runner film has finally arrived. Oddly, the November 2019 we have is nothing like the November 2019 depicted in the film.

Anyway, on to the masterpiece which is this movie.

Blade Runner (1982)
Screenshot_2019-09-14 Blade Runner (1982).png

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spiderman2 (2004)- The quintessential Spider-Man, he tries to keep Doc Oc from blowing up the city, the consummation of the Peter Parker-Mary Jane Watson‘s relationship, while the conflict between Peter and his best friend Harry Osborn heads to a climax. On to Spider-Man 3.

That music and those visuals of Spider-Man flying though Manhattan gives me chills. No one can out Spider-man Tobey McQuire. :)

6E57FA62-752D-492E-B578-7F14CA6C3F4B.jpeg
[automerge]1572661847[/automerge]
The setting for the first Blade Runner film has finally arrived. Oddly, the November 2019 we have is nothing like the November 2019 depicted in the film.

Anyway, on to the masterpiece which is this movie.

Blade Runner (1982)
View attachment 874322

Did I ever say the first time I saw this movie was at a drive-in movie in San Jose, California, with our 6 month son asleep in the back seat of my Camaro? It was such a dark movie, and the drive-in sound was so bad, we did not like it! o_O

Btw, that’s a terrible rendition of Harrison Ford.

Last edited:
Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I watched ‘Annihilation’ again (Natalie Portman/Oscar Isaac). I find this movie to be disturbing on many levels, but more than anything, it piques my curiosity and challenges me to have a better understanding of it. I always tend to find more ‘plot points’ when I watch a movie a second time, but this one has a lot of viewers confused on what the movie was really trying to portray through various discussion sites.

I really can’t say much on here without giving away the plot/spoilers, in regards for someone that does want to watch it, But there really is a deeper transcendence that the ‘shimmer’ creates amongst the cast members to evolve into something beyond human....which begs the question.... does the ‘Shimmer’ create a greater evil or turn something in to a better version of oneself? [<— If someone had watched this movie, this would probably make some sense of what I’m talking about.]

But anyways, before I confuse anyone else that’s reading this, give yourself a chance to watch this movie, if anyone ever does watch it, I definitely would be interested in reading someone’s thoughts. Really, the weirdness scale in this movie is probably at a ‘10’ for me, but there’s something very alluring about it that I wanted to watch it again, being that there’s no possible way someone could have a full understanding of this movie watching it one time through.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So I watched ‘Annihilation’ again (Natalie Portman/Oscar Isaac). I find this movie to be disturbing on many levels, but more than anything, it piques my curiosity and challenges me to have a better understanding of it. I always tend to find more ‘plot points’ when I watch a movie a second time, but this one has a lot of viewers confused on what the movie was really trying to portray through various discussion sites.

I really can’t say much on here without giving away the plot/spoilers, in regards for someone that does want to watch it, But there really is a deeper transcendence that the ‘shimmer’ creates amongst the cast members to evolve into something beyond human....which begs the question.... does the ‘Shimmer’ create a greater evil or turn something in to a better version of oneself? [<— If someone had watched this movie, this would probably make some sense of what I’m talking about.]

But anyways, before I confuse anyone else that’s reading this, give yourself a chance to watch this movie, if anyone ever does watch it, I definitely would be interested in reading someone’s thoughts. Really, the weirdness scale in this movie is probably at a ‘10’ for me, but there’s something very alluring about it that I wanted to watch it again, being that there’s no possible way someone could have a full understanding of this movie watching it one time through.
I’ve been planning on watching this. I’m hoping I’ve not already seen it. Yes, that’s an embarrassing statement, but I don’t think I have. ?

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Just watched The Intruder (2019). The movie as a whole is a bit ridiculous, but I would say it's worth watching for Dennis Quaid's incredible performance, which I'd say is his best in years.
61IID559sUL._SL1500_.jpg

[automerge]1572671268[/automerge]
Just watched The Intruder (2019). The movie as a whole is a bit ridiculous, but I would say it's worth watching for Dennis Quaid's incredible performance, which I'd say is his best in years.
61IID559sUL._SL1500_.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
...which begs the question.... does the ‘Shimmer’ create a greater evil or turn something in to a better version of oneself?

Neither.

It's about destruction, an inevitability of existence, whether through a vector like cancer, or by one's own hand (note how all the characters are moving towards annihilation of some form by way of their own biology or personal tragedy...). Heck, the character(s) sport ouroboros tattoos, the serpent that consumes itself.

The things we see in the shimmer is the alien force trying to recon with this circular destructive nature, it's like a visual metaphor of a "cancer", rapid growth, mutations.

I think this exchange between two of the characters is very telling:

Dr Ventress : Then, as a psychologist, I think you're confusing suicide with self-destruction. Almost none of us commit suicide, and almost all of us self-destruct. In some way, in some part of our lives. We drink, or we smoke, we destabilize the good job... and a happy marriage. But these aren't decisions, they're... they're impulses. In fact, you're probably better equipped to explain this than I am.

Lena : What does that mean?

Dr Ventress : You're a biologist. Isn't the self-destruction coded into us? Programmed into each cell?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Neither.

It's about destruction, an inevitability of existence, whether through a vector like cancer, or by one's own hand (note how all the characters are moving towards annihilation of some form by way of their own biology or personal tragedy...). Heck, the character(s) sport ouroboros tattoos, the serpent that consumes itself.

The things we see in the shimmer is the alien force trying to recon with this circular destructive nature, it's like a visual metaphor of a "cancer", rapid growth, mutations.

I think this exchange between two of the characters is very telling:
I need to watch that movie. Without research, I’d have to ask are we coded to self destruct? I always thought it was just the limitations of a biological organism.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Cherry 2000 (1987) Si Fi with sex ,(no space suits).

Reminded of this movie while making a post in the VR thread.
Great android fantasy...Silly movie, but I give it a 8 of 10. ? a2

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ve been planning on watching this. I’m hoping I’ve not already seen it. Yes, that’s an embarrassing statement, but I don’t think I have. 🙃

Oh, believe me, you would know if you’ve watched this movie or not. The only thing I can tell you about it, try to stay open-minded, It will leave you with a lot of open-ended questions once you watch it. This movie goes well beyond just being a ‘sci-fi’ Film, it’s more of a deeper meaning about human existence dealing with the inevitable. There’s actually quite a few discussion sites that try to answer some of the questions, because the plot skews to make it clear exactly what the message was in this movie.

What vexes me about ‘critic reviews’ about this movie, is that they negatively rate it, because they don’t understand it. I think everybody will have a different take away what this movie truly means on how the plot is inferred.

Quick side note:

This may sound kind of silly, but some movies actually require you to take cliff notes (At least I have), that way you can look back to understand exactly what was transpiring, re-read your thoughts, because there’s so many things covered in one movie, you can’t possibly comprehend all of it in the midst of your brain trying to multitask and watch a movie in the process. [Inception was one of those films as well.]

Reactions: Huntn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I just watched the trailer for this one and if I remember, I'll see about renting it if it's available on iTunes later tonight.

When I saw in the trailer that it's done by the director of Ex Machina it grabbed my attention since I really enjoyed that movie.

When I see it, I'll report back what I think. Thanks for the recommendation.

being that there’s no possible way someone could have a full understanding of this movie watching it one time through.
I feel the same way about someone who hears Tool for the first time, or the second and third time...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just watched the trailer for this one and if I remember, I'll see about renting it if it's available on iTunes later tonight.

When I saw in the trailer that it's done by the director of Ex Machina it grabbed my attention since I really enjoyed that movie.

When I see it, I'll report back what I think. Thanks for the recommendation.

Definitely let me know what you think! I didn’t really like it the first time I watched it, but it was strangely occupied in the back of my mind that I wanted to see it again, and I’m glad I did in hindsight.

And yes, Ex Machnica was excellent. It Was a huge boost to Oscar Isaac‘s career and pretty much got the ball rolling for Alicia Vikander in her movie roles as well. I’m surprised how many people actually have not seen Ex-Machina. Pure awesomeness.

I feel the same way about someone who hears Tool for the first time, or the second and third time...

I’m not familiar with Tool, but I do know their new album is out (Which I’m sure you’re aware of), but they have a pretty strong following.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Someone talked me into watching Dumb and Dumber (1994) last night... as a sort of allegory for the behavior of a pair of political figures in the current US administration. I won't name the dynamic duo, of course. There are far too many pairs of figures that would make amusing understudies for the title roles, not to mention as fill-ins for the school principal and the lunch lady, should anyone undertake yet another sequel. Anyway the slapstick was way more amusing than even the fake news out of the Beltway lately.

Dumb And Dumber (1994) cover art.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Others(2001)
An “almost forgotten”, well crafted horror.
k9GpVK2dyMMzjciQiMdoaL1WUlS.jpg
This is really a good ghosty movie with a twist.
[automerge]1572728329[/automerge]
Someone talked me into watching Dumb and Dumber (1994) last night... as a sort of allegory for the behavior of a pair of political figures in the current US administration. I won't name the dynamic duo, of course. There are far too many pairs of figures that would make amusing understudies for the title roles, not to mention as fill-ins for the school principal and the lunch lady, should anyone undertake yet another sequel. Anyway the slapstick was way more amusing than even the fake news out of the Beltway lately.

This is one of my favorite comedies. A little bit of toilet humor, but tame compared to what it could have been. I've posted Lloyd's dream sequence several times in this thread. The entire movie is slapstick gold, PG rated, if you are into that kind of thing. Ok yes, I think some people hate it. I tried to show this to grand kids in the 11-13 age range, and they thought it was stupid. Shocking! I rate both this and Ace Ventura Pet Detective with high comedy marks, prime Jim Carrey. :D
[automerge]1572728887[/automerge]
Cherry 2000 (1987) Si Fi with sex ,(no space suits).

Reminded of this movie while making a post in the VR thread.
Great android fantasy...Silly movie, but I give it a 8 of 10. ? a2
I checked it's rating at RT, 40% viewer-like rating. Did the nudity save it? ;)

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

That's one of my all-time favorites right there. It's so dumb and childish that it's what I need on occasion when I need to let go of my intellectualism for a while and after a hard or exhausting day at the office.
[automerge]1572730898[/automerge]
I rate both this and Ace Ventura Pet Detective with high comedy marks, prime Jim Carrey.
Fully agree with you there!

Reactions: Huntn and LizKat

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Yesterday watched the "Nightmare on the Elm Street" remake from 2010.

Mediocre attempt at remake, but watchable nonetheless. This franchise is kinda only one that I can relate to, because my dreams are very strange, and I often have false awakening, I go around doing stuff I usually do daily, until I see something is off, and then I realize I am in dream. Real panic starts when I want to awake, but I can't.

Never had someone chased me to kill me, but it is relatable nonetheless. I would see some scenes, and say "oh, my goodness, that is definitely how it is. It's like they asked me to design this."

I agree. The "Nightmare..." series are the most intelligent out of all the slasher movies, as we simply don't know everything about the dreams yet.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Finished the movie. It was interesting. The thing that jumped out at me the most was the ambiance of the movie strongly reminded me of M Night Shyamalan's 'The Happening'.
My take on it after an initial viewing is that the shimmer was a take on alien biological warfare. Rather than a direct assault in what we consider a traditional way, they (aliens) are going after our (life on Earth) DNA in a sped-up sort of evolution in order to create a new world as it (aliens) seek to emulate in its own way the existing life.

I've not read anything on this movie, nor have I ever seen any videos except for the trailer today, so I could be way off from the dirctors' intent.

Reactions: Huntn

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Glad you liked it, SG! See below spoiler

I found the bear terrifying and the scene where the woman turns into flowers oddly disturbing. Not sure what to make of the end, though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Finished the movie. It was interesting. The thing that jumped out at me the most was the ambiance of the movie strongly reminded me of M Night Shyamalan's 'The Happening'.
My take on it after an initial viewing is that the shimmer was a take on alien biological warfare. Rather than a direct assault in what we consider a traditional way, they (aliens) are going after our (life on Earth) DNA in a sped-up sort of evolution in order to create a new world as it (aliens) seek to emulate in its own way the existing life.

I've not read anything on this movie, nor have I ever seen any videos except for the trailer today, so I could be way off from the dirctors' intent.

Regarding your spoiler note, you’re not wrong. There’s more than one acceptable viewpoint on the plot in this movie. This is not a static plot where there’s one specific storyline for XYZ outcome, that’s not how this movie works at all. There’s multiple view-takes that have at least four conjuncture theories that are all relevant. Not to mention, there’s no way to simplify explaining this movie, only that if someone actually watches it more than once, you can easily see the different theories if you read behind the scenes what other viewers think as well. There’s some decent discussion on this film, and surprisingly, some interesting views on each character and how the director portrayed them in certain angles.

This is One of those films that will always go ‘overlooked’, but can challenge the viewer to stay open minded and what they believe actually was the real outcome.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

It's certainly open to interpretation, so see my post way above, based on the books, director commentary, author input, it's suggested it be read pretty metaphorically. Cancer, guilt, cheating on your spouse, etc.

Sorry about the disconnected three way conversation, I'm on ignore from another user <eye_roll>, so it makes this like a discussion with 3 people, where 2 people speak different foreign languages, and only the 3rd person knows both ... :D

Anyway, I'm assuming you've seen Arrival (2016, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner)?

Reactions: SandboxGeneral
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.