Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Mule (2018)

920C8145-257D-4EDF-85BF-B8E7B1C80A1B.jpeg

Clint Eastwood never ceases to amaze me. The guy is ancient šŸ˜, but can still act and direct. He really is a multi faceted old man with a witty/charismatic dry sense of humor throughout his movies.

But this one ranks at the top for me from all the movies he has directed. [And Gran Torino]. Essentially, Eastwood is a drug runner for the cartel, he needs the money, but ultimately he doesnā€™t really know what (And who) he is working for at first. Good directing mixed with elements of satire and seriousness with good acting from Eastwood and Bradley Cooper. Highly recommend.

Reactions: Huntn

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The Mule (2018)

View attachment 875461

Clint Eastwood never ceases to amaze me. The guy is ancient šŸ˜, but can still act and direct. He really is a multi faceted old man with a witty/charismatic dry sense of humor throughout his movies.

But this one ranks at the top for me from all the movies he has directed. [And Gran Torino]. Essentially, Eastwood is a drug runner for the cartel, he needs the money, but ultimately he doesnā€™t really know what (And who) he is working for at first. Good directing mixed with elements of satire and seriousness with good acting from Eastwood and Bradley Cooper. Highly recommend.
I liked Gran Torino. Iā€™ll check this out at some point.

Reactions: pachyderm

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I liked Gran Torino. Iā€™ll check this out at some point.

Itā€™s actually really good, I know Clint Eastwood is mocked because he portrays himself in his movies that he directs, but he really is a good actor that has a long history in this industry (Even his early western cowboy movies were really good). I think this movie was really well done, of course like all his movies, they have a deeper plot behind all the elements of laughter/snarky dark tones mixed in.

My top 3 Eastwood movies:

1.) The Mule

2.) Gran Torino

3.) Million Dollar Baby

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Itā€™s actually really good, I know Clint Eastwood is mocked because he portrays himself in his movies that he directs, but he really is a good actor that has a long history in this industry (Even his early western cowboy movies were really good). I think this movie was really well done, of course like all his movies, they have a deeper plot behind all the elements of laughter/snarky dark tones mixed in.

My top 3 Eastwood movies:

1.) The Mule

2.) Gran Torino

3.) Million Dollar Baby
No love for the Spaghetti westerns? Or Heartbreak ridge.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Clearly top 10 Eastwood movies as in starred in as well as directed:

1 Unforgiven
2 The Outlaw Josey Wales
3 Gran Torino

Directed only, you have to put Mystic River way up there too.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Mel Gibson

The Professor and the Madman (2019)

Not a bad film, but i chickened out half way through...I just found it a bit boring... Understood the story, but it was kind of "in" and "out"

This might be cliche, but the book was interesting. Iā€™ve not watched the movie nor do I plan to. I was interested in the actual story behind the gargantuan task of making the OED and this contributor, not Hollywoodā€™s version.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looks interesting.. I'm alwyas surprised when Mel Gibson finds work... anyone else?
Trying to remember the last Mel Gibson movie I watched. Iā€™ll say The Patriot (2000).
[automerge]1573226132[/automerge]
The Mule (2018)

View attachment 875461

Iā€™ll have to look for this.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm quite like the Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Westerns movies... specifically the ones directed by Sergio Leone with music by Ennio Morricone. Cinematic treasures IMHO.

Ennio Morricone musical score in ā€˜The good the bad and the uglyā€™ when they have the showdown towards the end with Eastwood (A.k.A-Blondey) Tuco and Angel eyes was One of the all-time historical moments in western films in that scene, but the music is really what set it apart. Epic and an amazing composer.

ItsNotaTumor

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
I'm seeing The Irishman on monday, so I'm going to catch up on some Marty movies I don't like and THE ONE film of his I haven't seen-- The Age of Innocence (haven't seen) and The Aviator (disliked back in the day in the theater).

I watched The Lighthouse the other night and its still in my mind...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Grumpy Old Men (1993)- We enjoy this story as a locally filmed movie, set in Wabasha, Mn yet it was filmed everywhere but Wabasha. ;) The houses used where the main characters lived are in St. Paul.

Hilarious movie. In my opinion, comedies just arenā€™t made like that anymore. Not also is that kind of a holiday-ish movie in some respects, but Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau were the perfect cast members for this movie. The sequel was ā€˜goodā€™, but the first one was the best. (And itā€™s hard to believe that was filmed that long ago in 1993, I always thought it was more recent.)

Last edited:

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
We watched "Hobbs and Shaw" last night. It was a thoroughly enjoyable, silly and action packed movie. It will never win an Oscar, but it gets 2 solid thumbs up from me! This is a movie for people who like movies. No deep hidden meanings or "compelling" cinema. Just a thrill ride of action and snappy banter. It has the Rock in it, (as well as cameos by Ryan Reynolds). What more needs to be said?

960x0.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Bourne Supremacy (2004)

View attachment 876129

All three were excellent, Matt Damon was the primary reason these movies had a continuation because of how he was able to portray the role. Have you watched the 2016 ā€˜Jason Bourneā€™ reboot? If I recall correctly, Damon wouldnā€™t even sign on for the 2016 version, unless Paul Greengrass was directing it, which says something about the direction of these films were pretty successful. But in fairness, [Doug Liman] who directed the first Bourne identity, really set the precedent for these movies moving forward.

Altogether, a series of films with strong plots and good acting, and outstanding Physical tactics/stunt choreography.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
All three were excellent, Matt Damon was the primary reason these movies had a continuation because of how he was able to portray the role. Have you watched the 2016 ā€˜Jason Bourneā€™ reboot? If I recall correctly, Damon wouldnā€™t even sign on for the 2016 version, unless Paul Greengrass was directing it, which says something about the direction of these films were pretty successful. But in fairness, [Doug Liman] who directed the first Bourne identity, really set the precedent for these movies moving forward.

Altogether, a series of films with strong plots and good acting, and outstanding Physical tactics/stunt choreography.
No, I haven't seen Jason Bourne yet. That one escaped my viewing thus far.

All that I have left in my DVD set to re-watch is The Bourne Ultimatum. I might put that on later tonight.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
American Reunion(2012)
First time watching this one and I really liked it. Laughed out loud a lot. I thought id be too ā€œmatureā€ for this kind of humor now, but I sure glad iā€™m not! šŸ˜
As with the original, the sequel and the wedding, the soundtrack was great!
5097.jpg

Last edited:
So many great movies, where does one start?

Regarding Clint Eastwood, definitely an excellent actor, producer, and director. I actually, for the first time, watched some of his so-called spaghetti westerns, and they were quite entertaining. As to ranking his movies, that of course is a real challenges, as it seems like every one he makes, and stars in, is quite good. Here are my favorite 3:

1. Grand Torino
2. Unforgiven
3. Sudden Impact

Yet, a number of his excellent films seem to "slip by the radar": Heartbreak Ridge, Escape From Alcatraz, The Eiger Sanction, Two Mules for Sister Sara, Space Cowboys, In The Line of Fire, etc. The one that is actually very, very good is "A Perfect World", which also starred Kevin Costner. Here are some scenes from it:

[automerge]1573435691[/automerge]
As for Matt Damon, yeah, he is the only one who could play Jason Bourne, and that trilogy (The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum) is super. But for me, there are 2 other excellent movies he starred in:

1. Good Will Hunting:

2. The Departed:

Yet, just like Clint Eastwood, there are some real gems which "slip under the radar": Courage Under Fire, Rounders, The Rainmaker, any of the "Ocean" movies, etc.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.