Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
What is it about generally?

It's about Frank Sheeran, who was a hitman Bufalino crime family, and his involvement with Jimmy Hoffa, spans a number of decades, so stoked, even have it on my calendar, though I forgot we'll be traveling when it releases on Netflix (going OOT for Thanksgiving for that whole week :D)

Reactions: Huntn

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Midsommar(2019)
Technically fantastic film making. Aster’s second home run IMHO. This one, like his previous one, is a “thinker” filled with a tonne of imagery. My only criticism is the overuse of “modern dance”.
midsommar-poster-405x600.jpg

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Just finished watching Atomic Blonde. I do like Charlize Theron.
I quite enjoyed that movie when I saw in the theater.
I adored that movie. I like Theron, too. Incredible actress. But the ambiance of that film was perfect. Really did remind me of the 80s which I miss... Simple times and all. My only complaint was the music. Schiller's awful song put aside, many of the songs weren't the original songs of the 1980s. Der Kommissar, an iconic 1980s hit, was a remake by some Brit band. A massive disservice to the late Falco, may he rest in peace. The film hit every other point apart from the music, which dropped it down a few rungs for me.

If I were to ignore that huge flaw for the film's music choices, then they picked the perfect songs. Technically they didn't, but they did. If that makes sense. It probably doesn't.

Reactions: JamesMike

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I adored that movie. I like Theron, too. Incredible actress. But the ambiance of that film was perfect. Really did remind me of the 80s which I miss... Simple times and all. My only complaint was the music. Schiller's awful song put aside, many of the songs weren't the original songs of the 1980s. Der Kommissar, an iconic 1980s hit, was a remake by some Brit band. A massive disservice to the late Falco, may he rest in peace. The film hit every other point apart from the music, which dropped it down a few rungs for me.

If I were to ignore that huge flaw for the film's music choices, then they picked the perfect songs. Technically they didn't, but they did. If that makes sense. It probably doesn't.

Heck, I'd say the After the Fire version of Der Kommissar, released in the early 80s is by far the more well known version in the US (they were on the charts at the same time which is pretty funny), and had a ton of rotation on the MTV :D And I really dig the cover of 99 Luftballons by Kaleida (the soundtrack has the original too).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Gladiator [2000]
41DBC089-E670-4D48-B7E9-F3900F6AA11F.jpeg

Pretty sure we’ve all seen this movie at least once over the course of almost 20 years since its inception, not to mention, probably one of the most successful movies in the box-office —>DVD sales.

It was on TV the other night, but to be perfectly honest, I’m actually not a fan of Russell Crowe as a person (He has history of being uncooperative on movie sets/sour attitude/hostile), but as an actor, this was his best role he’s ever starred in. I think what shocks me the most about this movie, is the amount of lush detail and scenery to put this project together. I believe this movie was budgeted for 100 million with Ridley Scott, but when you contemplate this was filmed in 1999 and it’s still insanely popular today, shows you the quality/craftsmanship this movie put in with the actors, geographic setting, costume design, all was executed for that specific time period in AD 180.

Side note:

[I’ve gotten rid of all my DVDs over the years, except for this one particular movie.]

Oh...

It’s also worth mentioning Hans Zimmer (who is probably one the most famous composers today) made an absolute masterpiece in terms of the musical score, it just flowed perfectly with the thematic events throughout the movie.

Last edited:

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Ford V Ferrari(2019)
Fantastic! Awesome acting, sets and special effects. “Shelby & Miles” or “Engineering V Marketing” would have been better titles.
large_6ApDtO7xaWAfPqfi2IARXIzj8QS.jpg

Reactions: mikzn

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Gladiator [2000]
View attachment 877780

Pretty sure we’ve all seen this movie at least once over the course of almost 20 years since its inception, not to mention, probably one of the most successful movies in the box-office —>DVD sales.

It was on TV the other night, but to be perfectly honest, I’m actually not a fan of Russell Crowe as a person (He has history of being uncooperative on movie sets/sour attitude/hostile), but as an actor, this was his best role he’s ever starred in. I think what shocks me the most about this movie, is the amount of lush detail and scenery to put this project together. I believe this movie was budgeted for 100 million with Ridley Scott, but when you contemplate this was filmed in 1999 and it’s still insanely popular today, shows you the quality/craftsmanship this movie put in with the actors, geographic setting, costume design, all was executed for that specific time period in AD 180.

Side note:

[I’ve gotten rid of all my DVDs over the years, except for this one particular movie.]

Oh...

It’s also worth mentioning Hans Zimmer (who is probably one the most famous composers today) made an absolute masterpiece in terms of the musical score, it just flowed perfectly with the thematic events throughout the movie.

Completely agree. Every time I watch it, I feel the sensation. Especially the music during the colosseum fight between Hannibal and scipio Africanus

Reactions: 44267547

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Gladiator [2000]

Love the movie, gave the DVD away cause I watched it too much - lol - then a year later bought it on iTunes to watch it more.

Love the sound track - amazing 👍

Reactions: 44267547

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Gladiator [2000]
View attachment 877780

Side note:

Oh...

A modern classic. An excellent cast and well put together.
[automerge]1574079936[/automerge]
Ford V Ferrari(2019)
Fantastic! Awesome acting, sets and special effects. “Shelby & Miles” or “Engineering V Marketing” would have been better titles.
large_6ApDtO7xaWAfPqfi2IARXIzj8QS.jpg
I’ll be checking this out when it makes its way to my TV.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Dead Man's Shoes

A 2004 UK independent film that I highly recommend.

I saw it on the PutoTV indie channel but I also noticed it was on Tubi, iTunes, and Amazon Prime.

The only fault I have in the movie is that some of the UK accents were difficult to understand and there were no subtitles to help.

I especially liked how all the flashbacks were in black and white.

Movie Trailer

A film I love but is quite niche as it’s a low budget British production. Very dark and amusing in parts. I had no problem with the accents being a Brit myself lol.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Midsommar(2019)
Technically fantastic film making. Aster’s second home run IMHO. This one, like his previous one, is a “thinker” filled with a tonne of imagery. My only criticism is the overuse of “modern dance”.
midsommar-poster-405x600.jpg

Yep, great film. Did you watch the extended version?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Gladiator [2000]
View attachment 877780

Side note:

Oh...

One of my favorites!

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Not sure. I watched the BluRay version I got from Netflix. If it wasnt the extended version, I wouldnt mind watching this one again for the extended version.

I watched only the extended version... at the theatre... without knowing what I was going to watch. Oh boy, I was in for a treat of a movie! Check out if it was the extended version, I read somewhere that it's how the director wanted it but due to the need to cut time for the theatrical release he had to cut about 30 minutes. Then, the extended version was released for a week or so in limited areas.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Joker just crossed the $1B mark, which is astounding for a couple of reasons: 1) It's rated R, that's a notable demographic of "lost" ticket sales, and 2) it didn't open in China (for example, Avengers: Endgame did ~$600M in China). Not to mention, its pretty meager $55M production budget!

Reactions: hawkeye_a

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Love the movie, gave the DVD away cause I watched it too much - lol - then a year later bought it on iTunes to watch it more.

Love the sound track - amazing 👍

I was a freshman in high school when Gladiator was released. I actually purchased the soundtrack on a CD, that’s how much I liked it. When all the other students were listening to ‘boy bands’, I was listening to Hans Zimmer. Still one of my top musical scores today from him today.

Reactions: mikzn and yaxomoxay

ItsNotaTumor

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
Joker just crossed the $1B mark, which is astounding for a couple of reasons: 1) It's rated R, that's a notable demographic of "lost" ticket sales, and 2) it didn't open in China (for example, Avengers: Endgame did ~$600M in China). Not to mention, its pretty meager $55M production budget!
I follow box office a bit, and I don't find any of this success surprising. Its from an existing series and falls in line with the prequel/sequel thing. The fact that it did more money than something R-Rated like Logan? I boil that down to it being a tad shorter, Batman properties having more appeal than X-Men, and it not being AS violent (though frankly, its still pretty gross and excessive in its own right).
I wish the movie was better, it seemed to just be a cinematic sad trombone without much to say beyond poor people are more miserable in Gotham than those with money.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Good films will always prevail, poor films will be destined for the book of excuses. Sick and tired of the "forced diversity" let be what it is as the story dictates, regardless of colour, creed or gender.

As yet to see Joker, equally to me the film is entertaining the majority of adults, and upsetting a very vocal minority that should be ignored.

In my realm there's only one person to blame if the job goes bad, just need to look in the mirror. Blaming the audience for your film being poorly received is simply a cop out and the very weakest of excuses...

Alien
Predator
The Thing (1982)
Blade Runner (both)

Adults like adult entertainment, not mediocrity and that's mostly what's being served up these days. Want to make films that appeal to minorities, expect empty seats and distain from the majority.

Is what it is...

Q-6

Last edited:

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
MV5BMjM1NDg1MjUzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTAxNjIzNTM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

"Won't you be My Neighbor?". Documentary on Fred Rogers. I grew up with Sesame Street and Mr Rogers. In retrospect, he was one weird dude. I'm glad. At the time, there was no way for me to recognize how controversial his show was.

MV5BMWYwOThjM2ItZGYxNy00NTQwLWFlZWEtM2MzM2Q5MmY3NDU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

"Klaus". I don't like this style of animation, but this kept my whole family entertained.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Alien
Predator
The Thing (1982)
Blade Runner (both)

Adults like adult entertainment, not mediocrity and that's mostly what's being served up these days, want to make films that appeal to minorities, expect empty seats and distain from the majority.

4 great movies ?

I liked the prequel version of the thing as well, have always been fond of that story after reading “Who Goes There?” Back in the 70’s

Reactions: Huntn and Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.