Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (1983)

Let him pass.jpg

This is a favorite of many Shaw Brothers fans; though not me. It's too depressing and the attempted humor in one Shaolin monk fight style takes away from the end fight. I do respect the film and appreciate some of the performances though.

Anyway, The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter was the end of the studio's prolific output of lavish and splendidly choreographed martial arts films.

Beloved and popular SB actor (Alexander) Fu Sheng died in a horrific car accident in the midst of filming this, so the intense heartbreak and anguish of some cast members is achingly real.

Even if one didn't know about that unfortunate tragedy, this is one of the bleakest movies released by a studio who was rather happy to unleash a plethora of emotionally brutal wuxia between 1980-84.

The Yang clan are the Sung Dynasty Emperor's "Family of Loyalty" (The parents, and their 7 sons & 2 daughters are all exceptional martial artists, which is true of the fighting actors who played the 11 members of the Yangs loyal to the court), but when the Yang men are betrayed by Pan Mai at the Battle of Jinshan, the survivors believe that six of the seven brothers and the patriach died.

Not quite. The fifth brother (played by Gordon Liu) also survived, but attempts to become a monk. Gordon portrayed many a Shaolin monk for the studio, (but my favorite roles of his are from this film and the superb martial arts period piece Dirty Ho). Here, Liu can never give up the soldier Fifth brother was, so monkhood is not fully attained. Despite that, he does earn the abbot (Ko Fei)'s respect.

There's some great martial arts here, but the monk's de-fanging of the wolves is utterly ridiculous. I suppose it was necessary to throw in a rather goofy looking technique to break the depressing and solemn nature of the story (and the pain the cast and crew felt in losing Fu), but it just doesn't work for me. I'd say this and that Wang-Lung Wei cannot maintain the intensity and physical prowess needed to play SB wuxia villains are the weak points for me.

The story being as depressing as it was is even more so when you learn about Fu Sheng's passing during filming. I never quite liked this film because I thought it was too maudlin, but tonight, I allowed myself to cry along with Yang Fifth. Not only because of Fu, but also I just allowed myself to unleash some of the bottled up tears I've been containing due to real life.

In that sense, I came away from this viewing understanding the story and certainly respecting Gordon Liu for what he had to do here.

For me, though, this movie cemented why Kara Hui had a 40 year career as an action heroine, I think one or two more action films and then she's done. She's fantastic in this and I wanted more of her Yang Eighth Sister wielding the Guan Dao. Actually more from her, Lily Li and Yueng Ching-Ching as the fierce, wise and mourning Yang women.

88 Films in the UK are releasing this on blu ray early next year. I'll stick with my iTunes HD version.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Last Samurai [2003]
135DB4B0-E2A4-435E-8F44-ACEED1E08E62.jpeg

Love or hate him, Tom Cruise is superb in this movie. Although, completely unrealistic in terms Of a civil war Soldier siding with the enemy, still really well portrayed showing the Japanese lifestyle, culture, livelihood, etc. This really is a humbling movie, The scenery is excellent and all the battle scenes pretty gruesome. Probably my favorite scene of the movie is the first battle when Nathan Algren (Cruise) is captured by the Samurai.

This Movie has been around for a while, but if you haven’t seen it, definitely take the time to watch this one, as I think this is one of Cruises best performances in his entire acting to newer.

Last edited:

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Indian Horse(2017)
Powerful story. Technically a little weak, but the story and acting more than makeup for it. Highly recommend.
indian-horse-us-poster.jpg

Reactions: Huntn

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
MV5BMTk1MzM1ODEwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTE0OTA4NTM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

"The House with a Clock in it's Walls". I remember enjoying the book many years ago. This movie was just blah. Not terrible, just nothing remarkable.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How could you not be wowed by Titanic? :D

....Because it’s mellow-dramatic and quite frankly...boring. I’m not saying the historic of events isn't interesting, but the film itself is almost a four hour love story that could’ve have been condensed more. That type of genre of film doesn’t appeal to everyone, aside from magnitude of being a factual story.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
....Because it’s mellow-dramatic and quite frankly...boring. I’m not saying the historic of events isn't interesting, but the film itself is almost a four hour love story that could’ve have been condensed more. That type of genre of film doesn’t appeal to everyone, aside from magnitude of being a factual story.

I was actually afraid that I would be bored up to the point that the iceberg hit, but the love story, characters, movie direction, cinematography, and overall/historical atmosphere sucked me right in. James Cameron has a talent for this and his methods, I find very appealing in just about any of his movies. I have not seen every movie he has directed, but have yet to be disappointed.

And I don’t require agreement. :D
??

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I was actually afraid that I would be bored up to the point that the iceberg hit, but the love story, characters, movie direction, cinematography, and overall/historical atmosphere sucked me right in.

I find this movie appeals to two demographics usually, a much older audience (Being you’re on the older side) and probably a female, given how popular it was when it was released during that time frame (1998), it was a massive chick flick film (Partially due to the DiCaprio obsession), which there’s nothing wrong with that, just wanted to point that out.

I like James Cameron as a director, who doesn’t? (Rhetorical), but I’ll stick to his Terminator films....😁

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I find this movie appeals to two demographics usually, a much older audience (Being you’re on the older side) and probably a female, given how popular it was when it was released during that time frame (1998), it was a massive chick flick film (Partially due to the DiCaprio obsession), which there’s nothing wrong with that, just wanted to point that out.

I like James Cameron as a director, who doesn’t? (Rhetorical), but I’ll stick to his Terminator films....?
I was 44 when it came out. Does that qualify as old? :) Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies, Avatar, Titanic, all choice picks in my book.
[automerge]1574964260[/automerge]
Indian Horse(2017)
Powerful story. Technically a little weak, but the story and acting more than makeup for it. Highly recommend.
indian-horse-us-poster.jpg
I’ll watch that. :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I was 44 when it came out. Does that qualify as old? :) Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies, Avatar, all choice picks in my book.

No, not at all. Good point though. I was in middle school when it was released. Honestly though, maybe I was a little harsh on this film, it really is good, maybe it’s because it was such a long film, that you kind of get fatigued and it’s slower paced, but you would expect that with a film that’s almost 4 hours. (I sorta felt the same way with IT:Chapter 2, which verged on 3 hours.)

But yes, all other good films by Cameron as well that you have listed.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No, not at all. Good point though. I was in middle school when it was released. Honestly though, maybe I was a little harsh on this film, it really is good, maybe it’s because it was such a long film, that you kind of get fatigued and it’s slower paced, but you would expect that with a film that’s almost 4 hours. (I sorta felt the same way with IT:Chapter 2, which verged on 3 hours.)

But yes, all other good films by Cameron as well that you have listed.
I agree, it is slow paced, concentrating on relationships, until the ship hits. Hopefully stories centered on human relationships don’t become extinct. Now, I admit, that this is not primarily what I watch, but I have the ability to be sucked in by them. :)

My wife and I saw the Downton Abbey movie which was great, but could easily be described as a snooze if not vested in the TV series, along with just finishing The Crown Season 3, which is more historical, the relationships of high profile family a ing themselves and with their country.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I thought it was well done. As it is, some of the things Stone "conjectured about" in the movie are true. But one has to admit that the acting done by so many of the stars (Kevin Costner, Joe Pesci, Kevin Bacon, Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Oldman, etc.) was excellent! Speaking of Gary Oldman and Kevin Costner, here are my choices for their best roles:

Keven Costner - JFK, Dances With Wolves, Field of Dreams (also A Perfect World, The Untouchables)

Gary Oldman - JFK, Air Force One, Murder In The First

Additionally, I've always believed that if one wants to enjoy a series of movies about the Vietnam War, here is what should be watched, in the order indicated:

JFK
The Post
All The President's Men
Frost/Nixon
(PBS Series, by Ken Burns) The Vietnam War

Speaking of All He President's Men, I forgot to add that to another excellent Dustin Hoffman performance, along with Robert Redford.

Are you ready for some 'irony".

I've just finished The Irishman and I've come to believe that JFK was closer to the truth than I've previously believed.

I'm not happy about it either.

Did the mob have JFK killed? I think so ...

Did the mob have Hoffa killed? I think so...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Down and Out in Beverly Hills (1986)- Outstanding Thanksgiving social farce and comedy about a homeless man who tries to drown himself in backyard pool of a Beverly Hills family, and then changes their lives. At least it starts at Thanksgiving. ;) Nick Nolte does an excellent job as a complex character with wisdom and continuous line of bull. :D Bette Midler, Richard Dreyfus.

D308ED33-F9B4-489F-9853-8F1C0D93D8AF.jpeg

F0682840-409D-4689-A4EB-A047F86B148F.jpeg

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i dont know why but we watched:
"The Knight Before Christmas" 2019
and
The Irishman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.