Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
It feels like we are in a long waiting period the only contenders are the Note 8 and IPhone 8.
I am particularly interested in the Pixel XL 2 because of Google's rock solid support.

We need more competition for Premium phones. LG, Motorola, HTC, Nokia now that Windows Phone is dead. Nokia really needs an Android hit.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Interested in the Nokia 8, Note 8, iPhone 8 and maybe the V30 :)
Edit: Forgot the Pixel 2 XL

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm purchasing the iPhone whenever it releases this fall. Not just because it's an iPhone and that I feel that I need to have it, mainly because it correlates with my Apple Watch, iPad, and my other Apple products that communicate effectively. I feel like if I were to break that tether away from the iPhone, then it also breaks the chain I have With my other Apple Products tethered in the ecosystem.

It's A beautiful thing Apple created with their Ecosystem, but also very difficult to walk away from. And I feel there are very other tempting devices on the market that have some great hardware and software features.

Reactions: 5105973

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Waiting to see what the Pixel 2 (smaller version) brings. If the rumors are true that it won't be much different, will likely go with S8. While I'm curious to see what the next iPhone brings, I'm not sure I can return to with the lack of customization after switching over to the S7 last year (after nothing but iPhones).

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
I'm purchasing the iPhone whenever it releases this fall. Not just because it's an iPhone and that I feel that I need to have it, mainly because it correlates with my Apple Watch, iPad, and my other Apple products that communicate effectively. I feel like if I were to break that tether away from the iPhone, then it also breaks the chain I have With my other Apple Products tethered in the ecosystem.

It's A beautiful thing Apple created with their Ecosystem, but also very difficult to walk away from. And I feel there are very other tempting devices on the market that have some great hardware and software features.

I was considering my options and went with T-Mobile 2 S8+ phones and 2 lines for $100 a month. Phone and plan included.

I wanted a Note 8 but T-Mobile can only finance $720 over 24 months and that would have been $200 Upfront and we'll only 1 Note 8 since it's gonna be in the $1,000 range.

And I can live with the difference 6.2" OLED S8+ vs 6.3" OLED Note 8

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The iPhone 8 and possibly the note 8.

The pixel will be impossible to get and my carrier most likely won't have it again just like last year. I intend to buy the iPhone outright and the note 8/pixel 2 on contract. I may only ended getting the iPhone 8 though it depends on what the note 8 has to offer over the s8 plus.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Maybe the Note 8, but I don't need it, my S7 edge is perfectly fine.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
While I'm curious to see the upcoming iPhone and Pixel revisions, my next phone will likely be a 2018 model of the iPhone, hopefully of the Plus variety. I prefer a large display and the upcoming iPhone, if rumors prove true, requires too many compromises of my preferences (smaller phone/display, likely no TouchID).

My job basically requires I stay with the iPhone, and a 'S' update isn't enough of an evolution to make me spend the money to upgrade from my 7 Plus, so looks like I'll be waiting another year.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Heh, just an hour ago when I was still waiting for my morning coffee to brew, this list would've excluded iPhone 8 partly due to Apple Pay still being MIA in Finland and I'm way too used to paying with my phone now. But now there's this: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/08/01/apple-pay-finland-sweden/

So it looks like the iPhone does in fact remain in the list of possible options (however, once the Euro pricing is out, it might drop off once again), but currently also dual-SIM is an important feature to me thanks to the poor reception of my employer's carrier of choice where I live.

So currently my list looks like this:
-The next OnePlus (the OP5 is working great for me right now)
-Rumored Nokia flagship (pure Android and timely updates)
-The next Pixel (IF they decide to actually sell it in Finland this time)
-iPhone 8 (if Apple Pay actually launches and works with my bank and the Euro prices aren't completely bonkers)
-S8+ dual-SIM (if only to reward Samsung for finally making it available in Finland. Too bad only the single-SIM models are available through carrier financing which would soften the 929e blow a bit)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Note 8 ... A must have for me.
iPhone 8 (premium version) .... Might not pre-order this time though, probably will wait until it's easily available.
LG V30 .... Definitely awaiting more details.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Not really waiting for anything at the moment, pretty happy with my iPhone 7+, but I am excited to see what Nokia comes up with. Their Windows Phones were some of the best hardware I've used and I would love a good high end Android from then.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I'm happy with the 7+ for the moment. Only considering buying a Mate 9 now that I see that none of the upcoming Androids will actually have a larger screen than that phone (all more narrow than the Mate and even Note 5 etc., width is essential to me for productivity, I also prefer a flat screen), it's cheap enough to buy as a test driver.

Reactions: MRU

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Note 8 ... A must have for me.
iPhone 8 (premium version) .... Might not pre-order this time though, probably will wait until it's easily available.
LG V30 .... Definitely awaiting more details.

This won't happen til Mid 2018 at that point just wait for the iPhone 8s Plus or the successor.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
New Pixels and MAYBE iPhone 8. I've been with Apple since December of 2015, but I'm growing incredibly tired of the same ole same ole with the OS. The 8 could be an incredible phone, but it'll still run the same OS that has bored me to tears lately. And I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, but this 6s Plus has felt like it's Apple's phone that is on loan to me, not my phone. That being said, I'm not that worried about the next iPhone. Buying it will probably cost a semester of tuition for my kid anyway, which is ridiculous for a phone, in my opinion.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
The iPhone 8 and possibly the note 8.

The pixel will be impossible to get and my carrier most likely won't have it again just like last year. I intend to buy the iPhone outright and the note 8/pixel 2 on contract. I may only ended getting the iPhone 8 though it depends on what the note 8 has to offer over the s8 plus.
Doesn't mean it will be on your carrier, but I'd be incredibly surprised if it were "exclusive" to Verizon again.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It feels like we are in a long waiting period the only contenders are the Note 8 and IPhone 8.
I am particularly interested in the Pixel XL 2 because of Google's rock solid support.

We need more competition for Premium phones. LG, Motorola, HTC, Nokia now that Windows Phone is dead. Nokia really needs an Android hit.

Primarily waiting for the iPhone 8. I'm highly interested in the pixel xl2, but don't have much interest in giving up all my privacy info to Google, and the xl2 still looks like it has much larger bezels than the iPhone or Samsung phones. Have no interest in Samsung phones and waiting 8+ months for OS updates. LGv30 looks like it might be interesting, but then again same issue with privacy and OS updates.

I can also add to that list the Microsoft Surface phone, which had some resurgence in its rumors lately. Probably not until 2018-2019, but still a huge interest for me seeing just how incredible and game changing the surface pro tablets are.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I've only ever had iPhones but this year it's a toss-up, not sure if I'll go with the iPhone 8, Pixel 2, or Note 8.

Reactions: koigirl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.