Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The RED Hydrogen phone has peaked my interest!
Other than that the next gen Pixel and iPhones!

I don't know what to make of the Red hydrogen phone. It looks awkward with a strange build and at a $1200.00 starting price point, this phone clearly was not intended for the masses. But it might have some technology worth noting once they have more hands-on demos.

Reactions: 5105973

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
I don't know what to make of the Red hydrogen phone. It looks awkward with a strange build and at a $1200.00 starting price point, this phone clearly was not intended for the masses. But it might have some technology worth noting once they have more hands-on demos.
I agree with your thoughts but my interest does not have a rational basis at this moment in time.. I cannot explain why it has peaked my interest.. hehe!
I look forward to the reviews once out.. maybe then I can be much more definitive.

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Sold my iphone 7 last week and got a Galaxy S8....after 1 week I got a 7 plus and am about to sell the S8. iPhone 8 perhaps next year...depending on the new features and price.

Why not keep the S8?
As heavy Skype user Android-Skype app is a big mess regarding freezes - sometimes it takes 10 seconds until an input is shown if ever.
Battery life is mediocre.
Carplay is also a lot better than Android Auto.

Reactions: NecroKill

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
iPhone OLED model. It's going to have all the "modern Android hardware" features, but with iOS instead. Fast charging, wireless charging, OLED screen, 18:9 aspect ratio, limited bezels, USB Type C/Lightning Connector combo, Face Unlocking and Iris Scanner, 3D Camera recognition, and other stuff Apple puts into the device.

The Galaxy S8+ is nice and all, but it will bog down and lag eventually. Plus Samsung's customer service lies about honoring promotions and creates a nightmare of a situation to return a product with even more lies.
[doublepost=1501769060][/doublepost]
I can't deal with the hassle this year of even trying to buy an iPhone 8.

The last several years, it can be rough. Calling the Apple Store to explain a situation where people lied to you in person at another store got a manager to be nice to me and hold a 128gb 7+ Silver for me to pickup in person a week after launch. Year before, I managed to get the 128gb Gold 6S Plus ordered in full. Though if the device is delayed, it works in my favor because closer to Black Friday means better T-Mobile promotions. Anyways, my iPhone SE is going to be my bartering chip for a trade in promotion. If not, I am going to look to make some profit on the side from selling stuff to save towards the inevitably overpriced iPhone OLED model.
[doublepost=1501769285][/doublepost]
To wait for a phone? Is your life in danger or something if you don't wait?

If people don't wait, they purchase something inferior to what they want because it involves a compromise. Rushing into a purchase isn't a good idea since flagship products are an investment into a product you use daily. Not an investment in terms of generating future revenue per se, but a product that you want to have a pleasurable experience using.

I would rather take the time to make the right purchase than to rush into a Motorola purchase to later find out my warranty means diddly squat to the manufacturer. While Apple's prices are extremely premium, people can enjoy their devices for years on end with tons of software support, app updates, warranty support, and an array of accessories to protect their device.

Waiting for an iPhone 8 or 7S means not paying a premium price for the 7 or 7+ with a new phone around the corner.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm pretty sure I'll be preordering the iPhone 8. By the time they get around to fulfilling my preorder, I'll likely know from reviews if it's a dud and can cancel.

I really love my iPhone 7 Plus, so the iPhone 8 will have to bring a lot of novel goodies to the table and bring them well or I will cancel the order, because I don't really NEED to upgrade. In fact, if I had any sense I'd wait for the IPhone 8S. But at this stage of my life I have more dollars than sense! :pIt's my stodgy middle aged version of YOLO. When I'm on a retirement income and paying college tuitions then I can go back to being sensible. :(

I'll always spare a look at the Note 8, but for my recent birthday my husband handed me down his 9.7 inch iPad Pro along with new accessories and all the art apps I could want for it, so I'm in sketch heaven and the draw ;) of the Note 8 and the S-Pen isn't what it once was. My S8+ is everything I need and want in a Galaxy for now. (Oh okay, I do wish for a dual lens camera system, but since I have one on the iPhone, I'm good.)

For awhile I thought I might get rid of my S8+ and get an S8 Active, but I really didn't want to give up my purple phone and all my purple cases I got for it. I don't like the curved edges, but I don't hate them enough to bother getting a new phone that also probably won't work with my beloved VR goggles.

I highly doubt I'll get any kind of Pixel or any other kind of phone from anybody else, but of course I'll look!

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Note 8
iPhone 7S+ (is this even happening?)

Note 7 was my next device until is kinda sorta melted ...

Not looking for the iPhone 8 unless the price is far less than currently projected.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm purchasing the iPhone whenever it releases this fall. Not just because it's an iPhone and that I feel that I need to have it, mainly because it correlates with my Apple Watch, iPad, and my other Apple products that communicate effectively. I feel like if I were to break that tether away from the iPhone, then it also breaks the chain I have With my other Apple Products tethered in the ecosystem.

It's A beautiful thing Apple created with their Ecosystem, but also very difficult to walk away from. And I feel there are very other tempting devices on the market that have some great hardware and software features.
I built a little Samsung ecosystem of sorts with my two Gear watches (one of which was free, the other on sale) and it works well.

But doggone it, I got that Nike Series 2 and worked out an exercise plan for my pool, (since autoimmune disease's toll on my knees makes it hard for me to run on a regular basis). And it works so well for me! I'm a terrible swimmer in terms of maintaining a form, but I can still get it to measure my acitivity and help me set goals. My Gear S2 Sport is supposed to be water resistant but I wouldn't trust it in a pool and it's just too big on me to wear comfortably while swimming.

Also, changing bands on a Samsung Watch is a pain in the patootie and it's easy to break the bands on the Sport model while changing them. My Nike Watch is so much fun. Yeah we all poke fun of Tim and the Apple Watch bands, but it's brilliant to be able to pop bands on or off in a few seconds to match an outfit.

So yeah...my humble little Nike Sport Watch is actually a big reason I've got my enthusiasm back for Apple and for the iPhone 8. Who'd a thunk it?

Reactions: 44267547

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I built a little Samsung ecosystem of sorts with my two Gear watches (one of which was free, the other on sale) and it works well.

But doggone it, I got that Nike Series 2 and worked out an exercise plan for my pool, (since autoimmune disease's toll on my knees makes it hard for me to run on a regular basis). And it works so well for me! I'm a terrible swimmer in terms of maintaining a form, but I can still get it to measure my acitivity and help me set goals. My Gear S2 Sport is supposed to be water resistant but I wouldn't trust it in a pool and it's just too big on me to wear comfortably while swimming.

Also, changing bands on a Samsung Watch is a pain in the patootie and it's easy to break the bands on the Sport model while changing them. My Nike Watch is so much fun. Yeah we all poke fun of Tim and the Apple Watch bands, but it's brilliant to be able to pop bands on or off in a few seconds to match an outfit.

So yeah...my humble little Nike Sport Watch is actually a big reason I've got my enthusiasm back for Apple and for the iPhone 8. Who'd a thunk it?

Have you looked at using a FitBit? Know a couple who use it for activities like that.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Have you looked at using a FitBit? Know a couple who use it for activities like that.
No, because I'm happy with my Apple Watch and in addition to fitness tracking I do enjoy the notifications. And I like the feel of it and the looks!

However the Fitbit is not a bad suggestion if for some reason I decide to fully switch to Android someday.

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
No, because I'm happy with my Apple Watch and in addition to fitness tracking I do enjoy the notifications. And I like the feel of it and the looks!

However the Fitbit is not a bad suggestion if for some reason I decide to fully switch to Android someday.

One uses it in place of her Fit 2. Found it was a better "fit" ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.