Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erikinbend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2023
I've got an IPOD classic 160gb. It's served us well for many years. 90gbs worth of music on it, all organized into playlists that are just right that I don't want to lose.

It's days are numbered and I'm starting to think about what to replace it with.

A big % of songs are bootlegs or rare songs that aren't going to be available in streaming services.

Depending on the replacement I'd use it in the car and with a home stereo.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I've got an IPOD classic 160gb. It's served us well for many years. 90gbs worth of music on it, all organized into playlists that are just right that I don't want to lose.

A big % of songs are bootlegs or rare songs that aren't going to be available in streaming services.

Why not just replace the disk drive with iFlash/microSD and install a new battery?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I went with @philden ’s suggestion.
The alternative I'd recommend is simply an old iPhone (128GB or more; meaning iPhone SE 1st gen or newer).
Bluetooth and Airplay are built-in. Everything else is the same as on your iPod (like Smart-playlists) or even better.

Reactions: arefbe

Sil3nt1

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2022
41.jpg

ananniamul

Suspended
Jun 2, 2023
Bangladesh

There are various portable media players available from different brands that offer music playback, video playback, and storage options. Examples include devices from SanDisk, Sony Walkman series, and Cowon.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
You might find that the simplest solution for your car is just a USB memory stick, and let the car stereo handle the playing part of the operation. Any player with a line level output will work with a home stereo.

Reactions: erikinbend

EdwardMatthew

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2023
I'd recommend taking a look at the iPod touch. The iPod touch offers high-resolution audio playback, generous storage capacity, and support for various audio formats, making it a suitable choice for your collection of bootlegs and rare songs. Its versatility allows you to enjoy your music both on the go and at home. With the iPod touch, you can easily sync your music library from iTunes or Apple Music.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I'd recommend taking a look at the iPod touch.
Not OP, but this was me years ago. It's funny - the Touch seemed like a natural evolution, but what I loved about the 'mainline' iPod series was the physical buttons. When they first came out I was commuting in the Boston area so attention was key ... now I just play albums or shuffle playlists but otherwise basically don't touch my phone (or use the controls on my wheel).

But I definitely miss having a world of music on a device - especially in the ~4-5GB days when you'd have to down-select from your library!

EdwardMatthew

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2023
Not OP, but this was me years ago. It's funny - the Touch seemed like a natural evolution, but what I loved about the 'mainline' iPod series was the physical buttons. When they first came out I was commuting in the Boston area so attention was key ... now I just play albums or shuffle playlists but otherwise basically don't touch my phone (or use the controls on my wheel).

But I definitely miss having a world of music on a device - especially in the ~4-5GB days when you'd have to down-select from your library!
I completely understand what you mean! The physical buttons on the 'mainline' iPod series were indeed convenient, especially for those moments when attention was crucial, like during commutes. The iPod touch may not provide that exact tactile experience, but it offers a modern alternative with its high-resolution audio playback, ample storage, and support for various audio formats. It's a great way to have a world of music on a single device without relying on your phone's controls.

Reactions: txa1265

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere

Not sure, I've been thinking about it as well as I've an iPod classic 5th Gen (60GB). Local CEX store has a 160GB 6th Gen for £125, but I've toyed with doing the replacing disk with SSD.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It’s a refurbished, iPhone, mini or iPhone SE would do very well. I have to have either iOS or android because I do not want to lose my smart playlist. Most of the dedicated android players have very weird hardware or battery limitations.

Reactions: Wheel_D

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

FiiO sells a lot of Android DAPs that you may like. They even come with built in AMPs and DACs so you could use it with more demanding equipment.

Reactions: erikinbend

erikinbend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2023
Thanks for all the suggestions folks, more decent options than I had thought of! Much appreciated. A few observations on those options:
The Sandisk doesn't have much storage.
The Astell & Kern mp3 player is really expensive.

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
What should I replace a day-timer with?
What should I replace a pocket camera with?
What should I replace a folding map with?
What should I replace a flashlight with?
What should I replace a notepad with?
What should I replace a paperback book with?

The answer to all those questions (and an iPod) is - my iPhone.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
In my search an iPod repair shop online, I came across one that sells refurbished iPods e.g. replaced logic boards or batteries. Have you looked into that?
I still have my 5.5 classic and in trying to preserve it, ended up buying one of those new mp3 (now called DAPs) players.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
To be fair, some were called DAP players all the way back in 1999-2002. Specifically I used to own a Creative DAP (Nomad in the US). 6GB, ran on 4 AA batteries.

View attachment 2232182

Sure. I’ve just always been used to calling them as “MP3” players back in the day and was not familiar with calling them “DAP”s until I joined audiophile forums. Even now I have the urge to call my A&K an MP3 player instead of a “DAP”.

Reactions: Basic75

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
To be fair, some were called DAP players all the way back in 1999-2002. Specifically I used to own a Creative DAP (Nomad in the US). 6GB, ran on 4 AA batteries.

View attachment 2232182
Wow - memory activated! I had that identical one and had forgotten exactly what it looked like ... got it when it came out, dumped it for release-day iPod (that I still have!)!

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
It sounds like you're happy with your current iPod Classic, and it still works. So why search for a replacement? If it dies, you can always replace it with another Classic or replace the parts that break.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.