Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macbudinc

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2023
Im in the same boat sort off. I love my ipod classic 160gb. Still works fine, i stil rip cds to it. my question is the future. I never got at ipod touch only because when they were producing them up till near 2018 the highest capacity was 120gb at best till they finally increased to 160gb at $399 price. im planning to get a new mac this year making the jump from intel to apple silicon based macs, so if i can buy a ipod touch with whichever new mac i buy, will it work with the new macs? Also would my ipod classic still work with a new mac? What other higher capacity mp3 players out there work with itunes/\macs in 2023??

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Im in the same boat sort off. I love my ipod classic 160gb. Still works fine, i stil rip cds to it. my question is the future. I never got at ipod touch only because when they were producing them up till near 2018 the highest capacity was 120gb at best till they finally increased to 160gb at $399 price. im planning to get a new mac this year making the jump from intel to apple silicon based macs, so if i can buy a ipod touch with whichever new mac i buy, will it work with the new macs? Also would my ipod classic still work with a new mac? What other higher capacity mp3 players out there work with itunes/\macs in 2023??
I feel like the older macs sync better. The newer version of iTunes/music got rid of automatic album folder or downloading lyrics. I would keep the Mac and continue syncing the iPod. I also experience a lot of sync issues with the new Macs unlike before.

Last edited:

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
You could upgrade your iPod Classic with an iFlash Quad board and some microSD cards. You'd be able to fill up at least 1TB of lossless files before you get problems with the Apple OS, or max it out with 2TB and use Rockbox.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
@Macbudinc I have an M2 MacBook Pro and was able to sync music to both new and used iPod shuffles 2nd generation using iTunes. Just bought an external CD drive and will see if I can rip CDs and transfer to the shuffles.
Have an old iMac with older OS and version of iTunes although the shuffle connected I didn’t use it to transfer music just because it was so slow compared to the new MBP.

My new mp3/DAP is an Astell and Kern (Android Based with 64 GB and external storage up to 1TB) works well with my M2 MBP. Last night I transferred all the songs from my iPod Classic 5.5 to the new DAP without running into issues.

Last edited:

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Similar situation with iPod Nano 7th generation here. Though still working, I tried a Retekess V115 portable radio with MicroSD player for about $20 (here in the US). Not quite as small as the Nano, but light, quite portable, and works well. FM included for me is a must.

Macbudinc

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2023
Again im not sure if my question was answered, Do Current 2023 macs recognize and work with Ipod Classic(7th Gen) & ipod Touch's in itunes? Can i still rip cds from external Bluray/DVD/CD drives to newer macs??

EdwardMatthew

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2023
Again im not sure if my question was answered, Do Current 2023 macs recognize and work with Ipod Classic(7th Gen) & ipod Touch's in itunes? Can i still rip cds from external Bluray/DVD/CD drives to newer macs??
They would be supported by newer Macs in iTunes. Apple tends to maintain backward compatibility for its devices, allowing them to work with the latest hardware and software. If you connect your iPod Classic or iPod Touch to a newer Mac using a compatible USB cable, it should be recognized in iTunes, and you should be able to sync music, videos, and other content as usual.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
They would be supported by newer Macs in iTunes. Apple tends to maintain backward compatibility for its devices, allowing them to work with the latest hardware and software. If you connect your iPod Classic or iPod Touch to a newer Mac using a compatible USB cable, it should be recognized in iTunes, and you should be able to sync music, videos, and other content as usual.
I think OP may be looking for feedback from others with the exact model iPod, in this case the 7th gen and iPod Touch. Read on here there may be a bug for the 4th gen shuffles and I have tried connecting the used one I just bought but 2nd gen shuffles sync with new MBP and OS.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
…Can i still rip cds from external Bluray/DVD/CD drives to newer macs??

Yes, ripped a few over the weekend to my 2023 MBP.

1bb2858778d75deb5b045297c151d66f.jpg

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Once any of those songs are uploaded as part of your Apple Music library you can stream them. My downloaded, ripped, iTunes purchases, Bandcamp purchases, and Apple Music songs all behave the same.
How exactly does that work? I've never used any sort of streaming features myself, how does one go about uploading their own files? I'd consider this if it's easy to do.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How exactly does that work? I've never used any sort of streaming features myself, how does one go about uploading their own files? I'd consider this if it's easy to do.
Turn on Sync Library and it will make you Mac library available on all of your devices. Any songs which exist in Appel Music will just play those while maintaining your metadata. Any songs not in Apple Music will be uploaded for you to stream. And metadata changes you make will appear on all of your devices. You can download songs to your phone, or just stream them. Once uploaded to your Cloud library you can even remove the downloads from your computer if you need the space. Once you have added an Am song to your library you can edit its information; this is what I do because I have a particular structure I use for live songs and remixes.

Back up your current library and give it a shot. If you don't like it you should be able to turn off sync and restore your old Music folder.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: retta283

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I haven't had that yet.
Oh that happened to me when I subscribed Apple Music it messed up my personal collection. It’s almost like it’s a virus that changes the information on my personal library and wraps it into Apple Music but unsubscribing doesn’t revert it back. I had restore using my old iPod as the backup.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oh that happened to me when I subscribed Apple Music it messed up my personal collection. It’s almost like it’s a virus that changes the information on my personal library and wraps it into Apple Music but unsubscribing doesn’t revert it back. I had restore using my old iPod as the backup.
That sucks, it's been fine for me. I backed up my entire Music folder so if anything happened I could turn off sync and copy my music folder with library file back.

anideind

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2024
I've got an IPOD classic 160gb. It's served us well for many years. 90gbs worth of music on it, all organized into playlists that are just right that I don't want to lose.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
NOS SE, used 256gb iPhone or something like that. You can always transfer data on an iPod back, and I assume in most cases your tags, playcounts, etc are properly taged in Music (Mac) / iTunes (PC) anyway...

...and if it isn't maybe do the basic, basic research on how to do this so that maintaining Apple services on your Mac doesn't screw up your personal stash

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Question for those recommending to replace an iPod with a device from another brand: how do you handle transfer of your song library, playlists and ideally song ratings?

That's what's always kept me away from e.g. the Walkman - didn't want to deal with resorting, perhaps renaming 1000s of songs, making new playlists, setting individual song properties all over again.

I'd be looking for a solution that runs on Linux, preferably (planning to transition away from macOS). Is there even any - at all?

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
There are various portable media players available from different brands that offer music playback, video playback, and storage options. Examples include devices from SanDisk, Sony Walkman series, and Cowon.

Cowon recently filed for bankruptcy, and they may now be completely kaput, with the company essentially ceasing operations in the U.S. and elsewhere. Their international website is still technically functional, but it no longer seems up-to-date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.