Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I've been waiting for an apple tablet with OS X or some fusion of OS X and iOS since the beginning. I was really hoping to get full or some OS X support on the iPad pro but I was sadly mistaken.

New iPad Pro with OS X would be absolutely magical.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Whats it Missing Or Whats Wrong with it.

#1. Only need 2 Speakers ditch the other 2 make room for More battery.
#2. OLED Display
#3. 3D Force Touch, Never buy 1st gen Apple Products. Next Years iPad Pro 2 will be far superior
#4. Apple will never allow it to Run Max OSX NEVER it will kill their MacBook Sales. And cost them Billions in lost sales
#5. a Port. why can't I have a Display port to out put 4K Content to my HDTV its needs a Port.
#6. RAM How much RAM does it have I am guessing 3GB but what type of RAM DDR3 or DDR4 ? if it has 2GB of RAM I'll literally laugh.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009

#2. OLED Display
#3. 3D Force Touch, Never buy 1st gen Apple Products. Next Years iPad Pro 2 will be far superior
#4. Apple will never allow it to Run Max OSX NEVER it will kill their MacBook Sales. And cost them Billions in lost sales
#5. a Port. why can't I have a Display port to out put 4K Content to my HDTV its needs a Port.
#6. RAM How much RAM does it have I am guessing 3GB but what type of RAM DDR3 or DDR4 ? if it has 2GB of RAM I'll literally laugh.

Well, I agree with everything you mentioned above. It's unfortunate.

Reactions: mgarc1125

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Not only that, OS X doesn't run on ARM chips, and never will, or it will cause confusion with people when their app runs on their Mac but not on their big-ass iPad not realizing the CPU architecture is totally different and totally not compatible. iOS needs a proper file system with a Finder-esque system.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Not only that, OS X doesn't run on ARM chips, and never will, or it will cause confusion with people when their app runs on their Mac but not on their big-ass iPad not realizing the CPU architecture is totally different and totally not compatible. iOS needs a proper file system with a Finder-esque system.
I could live with that. That's really what's missing at the core. The iPad, currently, is just a big iphone.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I could live with that. That's really what's missing at the core. The iPad, currently, is just a big iphone.

Awesome. How do you do split screen multitasking with your iPhone? I can't seem to get it on mine. And that whole cursor thing with the keyboard? Picture in picture?

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Not only that, OS X doesn't run on ARM chips, and never will, or it will cause confusion with people when their app runs on their Mac but not on their big-ass iPad not realizing the CPU architecture is totally different and totally not compatible.
A couple of points here.
iOS is OS X. With darwin, CoreServices, CoreFoundation and Foundation, the only significant differences are a handful of classes within AppKit, which very, very easily could be added in to iOS-Pro.

And as to the difference in CPU architecture, Apple has made that all but irrelevant, at least for modern apps. All developers are now expect to deliver apps in what is called "LLVM Intermediate Format", which makes them architecture-agnostic.

So, yeah, a decent OS X, adapted/enhanced properly for touch UI, is entirely possible and not a huge jump from where we are.

Reactions: thegreatdivorce

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
I've been waiting for an apple tablet with OS X or some fusion of OS X and iOS since the beginning. I was really hoping to get full or some OS X support on the iPad pro but I was sadly mistaken.

Want magical...buy the new macbook. a powerful ipad like thinness with full osx and a great keyboard and a retina screen.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
The samsung Note Pro 12.2 is FAR superior to this Ipad Pro, and less money. It's pretty fantastic.

Reactions: mrex

glowrider

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
My MS Surface Pro 3 is the best mobile product I own. A lot of that boils down to ports. Will there be lightning adapters? That would be something. Also, there really isn't a substitute for a full Os on a screen that large. I rarely use it in tablet mode, though frequently I use it without the cover. I also can do some on location photo editing with the surface and on screen editing in Photoshop. I also do card downloads and backups on the same device with sub hub. Hugely useful. I do my edits on the surface and can then pick it back up on my desktop. I'd want that experience in the iPad pro. I'll wait until it's more developed - not replacing my surface so fast.

Also, the surface kickstand approach versus the folded case is superior.

Last edited:

Esco1199

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015

#2. OLED Display

#4 all they gotta do is trim some fat on their product line. Leave the little Ipad and phones running iOS, combine iPad pro and the little MacBook running OS X. Detachable keyboard and touch screen it's the best parts of each without the bad. Plus the hybrid train is starting to gain some momentum as we all know how successful the surface is.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012

I want both in the same device, iOS apps are often better then web apps and often worse. why settle, give me both!

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
#4 all they gotta do is trim some fat on their product line. Leave the little Ipad and phones running iOS, combine iPad pro and the little MacBook running OS X. Detachable keyboard and touch screen it's the best parts of each without the bad. Plus the hybrid train is starting to gain some momentum as we all know how successful the surface is.

That'd be a horrible prouduct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.